Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Its Good to Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/its-good-to-talk-31832.html)

mez 01-07-2007 22:48

Re: Its Good to Talk

it was posted by me (mez) at 11mins past 10 am this morning in the why thread .

Less 01-07-2007 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 443059)
I think Willow has a point from the perspective of not descending into slander, lible or petty namecalling- BUT- are their topics that might be personal opinion, not slandering anyone for example which should not be given the oxygen of publicity?

What has that got to do with the price of Fish?:confused:

WillowTheWhisp 01-07-2007 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 443059)
BUT- are their topics that might be personal opinion, not slandering anyone for example which should not be given the oxygen of publicity?

Well some people think we talk too much about HBC and the ongoing creation that is Broadway, or the litter, or the sudden appearance of the planters, or the vandalised trees..............................

Rosebud 01-07-2007 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 443063)

What do you mean?

I am asking the question- following the theme of the thread- Are there topics/issues/belief systems/actions that should not have access to the concept of 'free speech'?

I am intrigued to know why your knickers are in such a twist Less- Is it past your bedtime or something?

cashman 01-07-2007 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 443063)

exactly what i was thinking, we seem to have been here before quite recently.:rolleyes:

Rosebud 01-07-2007 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 443064)
Well some people think we talk too much about HBC and the ongoing creation that is Broadway, or the litter, or the sudden appearance of the planters, or the vandalised trees..............................

But those are issues of grnuine concern/interest to people and so should be talked about. It seems to me in this sense that the internet has replaced the garden fence.

I was simply interested to know if people who firmly hold the belief that people should have a right to say anything apply any restrictions to this policy and if so where is that line drawn andf does that contradict the stance taken in the first place?

Rosebud 01-07-2007 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 443070)
exactly what i was thinking, we seem to have been here before quite recently.:rolleyes:

Whats not to understand?
And
If you arent interested in the discussion then why bother posting- seems odd to me.

WillowTheWhisp 01-07-2007 23:00

Well can you give us an example of such a subject and then maybe we can answer you.

cashman 01-07-2007 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 443073)
Whats not to understand?
And
If you arent interested in the discussion then why bother posting- seems odd to me.

oh i,m very interested- IN YOU.:)

garinda 01-07-2007 23:08

Free speech should be a prerequisite of a democratic society.

But then again so should diplomacy, and knowing when the hell to shut up.:D

Rosebud 01-07-2007 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 443078)
oh i,m very interested- IN YOU.:)

That sounds quite threatening to me. Is it intended to intimidate and if so why?
Is that acceptable on this forum?
This is not a joke I genuinely feel intimidated by your comment.

Less 01-07-2007 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 443069)
What do you mean?

I am asking the question- following the theme of the thread- Are there topics/issues/belief systems/actions that should not have access to the concept of 'free speech'?

I am intrigued to know why your knickers are in such a twist Less- Is it past your bedtime or something?

I basically mean talk sense or butt out, I asked an innocent question, (strange as it may seem to help a newbie), that newbie came back aggressive towards me then attempted to talk sense and missed, (by a mile), there are an infinite number of combinations as to how a keyboard can be used yours are lacking in thought, pleasantry's, and mainly Common sense.

Quote:

might not agree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it etc.-
That is, so long as what you type is worth the rest of us paying attention to, you have had your chance, you are obviously not worth spending time bringing to our standards, so go away and leave us to our world.

I would hate to go out of my way to insult you because so far you haven't said anything worth the criticism.
:pain30:

P.S. calm down or I'll get upset!:p

cashman 01-07-2007 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 443081)
That sounds quite threatening to me. Is it intended to intimidate and if so why?
Is that acceptable on this forum?
This is not a joke I genuinely feel intimidated by your comment.

get a life mate that is NOT intimidating hence the smiley to let you see that, if you cant or will not, you got a problem.

blazey 01-07-2007 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 443049)

That doesn't mean that I condone people making erroneous statements and claiming them to be fact, or debates which descend via argument into petty namecalling and childish petulence.

Do you talk like this in real life? you sound all posh lol for an accy lass.

I don't think we have freedom of speech and to be honest I wouldn't fight to be able to say whatever I wanted as it isn't fair most of the time.

Less 01-07-2007 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 443085)
Do you talk like this in real life? you sound all posh lol for an accy lass.

I don't think we have freedom of speech and to be honest I wouldn't fight to be able to say whatever I wanted as it isn't fair most of the time.

Your not rosebud are you? He/she talks very similar to you, which isn't posh but it isn't common, erm' common sense, that is. :rolleyes: