Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 22:17   #1

Its Good to Talk

Saw in another recent thread comment about defending freedom of speech- might not agree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it etc.-
Do people actually believe that this is the case?
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2007, 22:23   #2
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Its Good to Talk

Not me!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 22:26   #3
God Member

There is no such thing as freedom of speech, otherwise we wouldn't have laws that prohibit you from saying certain things.
Old 01-07-2007, 22:27   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Saw in another recent thread comment about defending freedom of speech- might not agree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it etc.-
Do people actually believe that this is the case?
Why didn't you just quote it and ask that in the thread?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 22:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Why didn't you just quote it and ask that in the thread?
Because I saw it yesterday or the day before and now cant seem to find it. I think it might have been Willow but cant be sure.
Why? anyway. Your response seems a little upset by my action of posting a new thread.
Old 01-07-2007, 22:33   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

dont think theres a simple answer to that,though its a simple question! theres many grey areas, also areas where you are not allowed to make critisism, because someone somewhere will accuse you of Bullying/Racisim/Cruelty,etc etc, if people are saying something thats true,i personally have no problem with it, even if its hurtful to me.
Old 01-07-2007, 22:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
There is no such thing as freedom of speech, otherwise we wouldn't have laws that prohibit you from saying certain things.
Does it matter what the certain things are? or should you be able to say ANYTHING to ANYONE
Old 01-07-2007, 22:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
dont think theres a simple answer to that,though its a simple question! theres many grey areas, also areas where you are not allowed to make critisism, because someone somewhere will accuse you of Bullying/Racisim/Cruelty,etc etc, if people are saying something thats true,i personally have no problem with it, even if its hurtful to me.

But who judges the truth? Especially at the time someone is saying it. Can history be the only judge? More questions tahn answers I appreciate that
Old 01-07-2007, 22:35   #9
God Member

Quote:
or should you be able to say ANYTHING to ANYONE
No you shouldn't be able to say anything to anyone.
Old 01-07-2007, 22:40   #10
Resident Waffler

If you'd quoted it and asked in the original thread somebody would probably have complained that you were going off topic!

I remember somebody saying it recently too but it wasn't me although I have said it in the past.

There is a certain amount of freedom of speech in this country, certainly more so than in some other countries, but even so there are boundaries which we have to consider such as not risking slander or libel.

My personal opinion is that everyone is entitled to their personal opinion and as long as it is discussed in a level headed and civilised manner I will defend anyone's right to have their own opinion even if I disagree with that opinion.

That doesn't mean that I condone people making erroneous statements and claiming them to be fact, or debates which descend via argument into petty namecalling and childish petulence.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 22:41   #11

Quote:
Because I saw it yesterday or the day before and now cant seem to find it. I think it might have been Willow but cant be sure.
Why? anyway. Your response seems a little upset by my action of posting a new thread.
Right so you saw it yesterday, but you can't find it today, that has answered my question, why take um bridge? I only wanted to know.
Old 01-07-2007, 22:45   #12

Quote:
Right so you saw it yesterday, but you can't find it today, that has answered my question, why take um bridge? I only wanted to know.
Apologies I may have read an emotion into your response which was not intended.
Old 01-07-2007, 22:47   #13

Quote:

By the way if you had been nice I might have told you how to find that post, but never mind you obviously don't need help!
Old 01-07-2007, 22:48   #14
Resident Waffler

That can happen sometimes on t'internet. Can? lol, often does.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 22:48   #15

I think Willow has a point from the perspective of not descending into slander, lible or petty namecalling- BUT- are their topics that might be personal opinion, not slandering anyone for example which should not be given the oxygen of publicity?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..