Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 00:00   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Its Good to Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Couldnt you find a graphic showing genuflect?
Or is this a depiction of you begging for forgiveness for your abhorrent views regarding the mentally ill?
How do you know that I'm not mentally ill?

Which therefore gives me an exemption, and which allows me to make humerous observations about the Conservatives care in the community programme.

As far as I can see the smilies definitely show a bending of the knees, therefore their genuflecting is correct.

gen·u·flectplay_w("G0090300")(jny-flkt)
intr.v. gen·u·flect·ed, gen·u·flect·ing, gen·u·flects 1. To bend the knee or touch one knee to the floor or ground, as in worship.
2. To be servilely respectful or deferential; grovel.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2007, 00:02   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
If you are going to quote usually more accuarte to quote the whole sentence. My comment followed the question of whether your views are reflective of other forum users.

'As is usually said to people of your ilk' - What ilk is that then?

Were you a bully at school as well? or perhaps you were bullied and now its payback?
Strange as it may seem, if you reflect back to the beginning, I think you will find that you started on me after I asked you a simple question,
Quote:
Why didn't you just quote it and ask that in the thread?
please don't try to twist things around in a vain attempt to make it my fault.

You keep trying to make us seem like the aggressors when in actual fact you have come on here with the obvious intent of trying to disrupt.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 00:11   #48
Give, give, give member

I think it's nice Rose Hip is making a stand for the mentally ill.

It's just a pity he didn't show the same insight, and understanding, when he saw a Union Jack, and thought we were all facists.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:00   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
So, how many would really defend all speech? I will go out on a limb and say there is in fact some speech that I would not allow. A good personal example is flag-burning by american citizens.

Brian
Personally have no feelings about flag burnings , what I do find offensive are folks who think its ok to wear nasty 'skid- marked' Union-Jack or Stars and Stripes underwear ....now that is total disrespect
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:15   #50
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Do you talk like this in real life? you sound all posh lol for an accy lass.

Good grief we're not all chavs in Accy you know? What the heck was posh about that? I wasn't even using big words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't think we have freedom of speech and to be honest I wouldn't fight to be able to say whatever I wanted as it isn't fair most of the time.
I find that difficult to believe bearing in mind posts you have already made on this forum.

Quote:
Firstly my response to your question was not aggressive- I may have mis read your question but did not respond in an aggressive manner. I think the only aggression on display has been directed at me.
This is a classic case of someone not reading a post in the same tone of voice in which it was written - despite the emoticon to give you a clue, and then responding defensively when there was no defense required thus creating the impression of aggression and sparking a defensive reaction in others.

Quote:
If you speak for Accrington Web as your response claims then I would be more than happy to 'leave you to your world' as it is abundantly obvious that it is one lacking coherent thought or the ability to debate in any sensible manner. It would be such a pity tyhough as I have read a number of comments on various threads from individuals that I am pretty sure that you would not be speaking for.
Careful you'll be accused of being too posh for Accy if you use big words like 'coherent'

Seriously though, surely you have realised by reading the threads that there is no such thing as an Accrington Web opinion. We are all different individuls with different opinions. Sometimes we agree with each other on one thing and disagree with each other on another thing.

I think you probably got off on the wrong foot though by associating AccyWeb meets with the BNP as the majority of members find the BNP and all it stands for the be beneath contempt. Not that I said 'majority' as there may well be one or two hard line facsists in our midst but they too are entitled to join as long as they don't try to convert those of us who do not wish to hear their propaganda.

Quote:

Perhaps I should close by asking the question therefore to others on the forum-
Are the comments posted here reflective of the views of forum members? If so I will gladly accept that this is not the place for me and bid farewell graciously
No. We are all capable of forming our own opinions and don't need anyone to be our spokesman. Neither you, nor Less ------ but Less is funnier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I believe in free speech. However, I would not defend someone else getting on a soapbox about something I disagreed intensly about or found detestable.

I mean really, how many would truly defend a pedafile shouting out the benefits of such a lifestyle in a public square (oh and you've got your children in tow)? Or, a lunatic terrorist/psycho/etc, ranting on about killing, maiming, hurting those within earshot. I don't believe I would stand in front of these folks and let the rocks hit me.

So, how many would really defend all speech? I will go out on a limb and say there is in fact some speech that I would not allow. A good personal example is flag-burning by american citizens.

Brian
That's where staying within the bounds of the law and common decency comes into it. I wouldn't defend anyone's right to spout off i public about anything which was illegal or immoral.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Right so you saw it yesterday, but you can't find it today, that has answered my question, why take um bridge? I only wanted to know.
in other word's toe the line we run this forum is that what your saying
treacletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43   #52
Resident Waffler

The moderators run this forum on behalf of the owner.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:30   #53
God Member

You will struggle Rosebud.
When two of the "Big Guns" kick in (As they have) It turns into a slanging match.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:48   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
You will struggle Rosebud.
When two of the "Big Guns" kick in (As they have) It turns into a slanging match.
what planet are you on mate?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:55   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what planet are you on mate?
The 'Big Guns' will no doubt give you the answer to that one.

Old 02-07-2007, 13:07   #56
Resident Waffler

Are these Big Guns the same as the Mafia or different?

Old 02-07-2007, 13:26   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Are these Big Guns the same as the Mafia or different?
No one mentioned Mafia in this thread. I have read of bullies, idiots and a party political rant on behalf of the labour party but nothing about the Mafia.
What gave you that idea Willow?

Old 02-07-2007, 13:52   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
No one mentioned Mafia in this thread. I have read of bullies, idiots and a party political rant on behalf of the labour party but nothing about the Mafia.
What gave you that idea Willow?

The only person I remember posting to say that they were a member of the Labour party on this forum, was Gayle, and I suppose Graham Jones is too, as he is leader of that party on HBC.

I can't recall either of those two members going on a 'political rant' on here of late. Perhaps I missed it.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear from members of other political parties in Hyndburn, but no matter how much we plead, it seems that only our Labour councillor, and our Labour M.P., are prepared to make the effort.

Old 02-07-2007, 14:33   #59
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Its Good to Talk

Quote:
Saw in another recent thread comment about defending freedom of speech- might not agree with what you say but will fight for your right to say it etc.-
Do people actually believe that this is the case?
Yes I do!

There are libel and slander laws to take care of the untruths and the unwritten decency laws to take care of abuse.

The line is drawn by the fist that blacketh the eye Rosebud.

As for the rest of this thread I got the distinct feeling that I was back in a Primary School playground.
Old 02-07-2007, 14:35   #60
Beacon of light

Me too......It smells distinctly like a member who was banned from here not very long ago......or am I just a cynical so and so?

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 02-07-2007 at 14:43.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..