Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: £350,000 classroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
all i can say is...well done kids and well done Accrington Academy for encouraging them to work towards something as good as this, i think it's fantastic
You're right.

The pupils involved should be congratulated.

My comment was probably due to jealousy, as for the second year at school my classrooms were wooden sheds.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2010, 12:18   #17
Common Sense Member

Quote:
all i can say is...well done kids and well done Accrington Academy for encouraging them to work towards something as good as this, i think it's fantastic

how can any of you lot complain about something in Hyndburn that will be there for the kids in years to come, when your own 'leader' spends the towns money like he does?

i think its brilliant and it's a step into the future for the kids

and Ken, i think it's time you buttoned it, just because you won't benefit from anything through Accrington Academy (having no children) doesn't mean it's a bad thing, even i'm getting pee'd off with your rantings now
The kids that will benefit from it, mine or otherwise, are the next generation, the ones who will be looking after the country when I'm long past it. My personal gain from the Academy is neither here nor there.

£350,000 is a huge amount of money. You'll forgive me for thinking that the cumulative benefits of carbon neutrality in building one room compared to wider possible educational possibilities with the same money are not well represented in the price. Rishton Methodist school is screaming for new equipment to replace some pretty shoddy tat and a fraction of that money could have improved an entire school.

Just the miser in me coming out again, I suppose.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34   #18
God Member

Ken, it's called 'progress' yes by all means fight for what you believe in, but fight it in the right way, it all seems to be tit for tat at the moment 'they got this, i didn't get that, they got money, we didn't' thats called life, if we all got the same at the same time life would be rather boring, just because Accrington Academy got the funding doesn't make it a bad place
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41   #19
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Ken, it's called 'progress' yes by all means fight for what you believe in, but fight it in the right way, it all seems to be tit for tat at the moment 'they got this, i didn't get that, they got money, we didn't' thats called life, if we all got the same at the same time life would be rather boring, just because Accrington Academy got the funding doesn't make it a bad place
Nothing to do with 'tit for tat' Shaz, and I am certainly not criticising the value of the Academy, it's simply about getting the best value for money across the borough. On the face of it £350,000 for one single room sounds rather expensive to me although I am willing to be proved wrong as ever. As I understand it, it is a mixture of public and private investment that have come together and it is the public aspect that interests me.

I'm not against progress but it needs to be done in a cost-effective way. Accrington Academy clearly has a big part to play in the future of the borough so it is quite important that things like that are done correctly.

Vast sums of money being spent incorrectly can end up backfiring badly, just look at the Market Hall.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:50   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Nothing to do with 'tit for tat' Shaz, and I am certainly not criticising the value of the Academy, it's simply about getting the best value for money across the borough. On the face of it £350,000 for one single room sounds rather expensive to me although I am willing to be proved wrong as ever. As I understand it, it is a mixture of public and private investment that have come together and it is the public aspect that interests me.

I'm not against progress but it needs to be done in a cost-effective way. Accrington Academy clearly has a big part to play in the future of the borough so it is quite important that things like that are done correctly.

Vast sums of money being spent incorrectly can end up backfiring badly, just look at the Market Hall.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:56   #21
God Member

It is slightly ironic that to get the praise for designing a carbon neutral, eco friendly classroom involves a flight to California
Old 03-11-2010, 13:23   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

I can't wait until they start building the new swimming pool, you will burst a blood vessel or two
Old 03-11-2010, 16:19   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
it all seems to be tit for tat at the moment
I'm the tit that registered the tat as a copyrighted trademark on this forum, way back in 2005.

Hands off, or I'll see you in court, Cllr. Moss.

Old 03-11-2010, 16:22   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It is slightly ironic that to get the praise for designing a carbon neutral, eco friendly classroom involves a flight to California
True, a nice walk to Clitheroe would have meant a smaller carbon footprint.

Old 03-11-2010, 16:33   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
I sometimes wonder what planet the people who come up with these ideas are in orbit around. The figure of £350,000 has been tossed into the equation with gay abandon at a time of national stringency and we're supposed to applaud it?

Looks like another case for The Rishton Avenger.
You have missed out the word "Discuss"
I suggest you widen your horizons, building houses from straw bales is becoming quite popular in Europe, and are proving to have very good insulation properties.
Who are you to say that this is a waste of money?
If any benefit can be gained from utilising any of the methods stated then I say well done.
Get a life Ken and find something else to do except slag PB and the Tories - IMHO you are typical of all opposition politicians. Criticise the party in power but never let on what you are prepared to do.
You may not realise it but you are fast becoming a pain in the posterior, for many people.
Old 03-11-2010, 17:59   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I can't wait until they start building the new swimming pool, you will burst a blood vessel or two
Oh don't say that Neil it may hinder is crusade to rescue world finances
Old 03-11-2010, 19:19   #27
Resting in Peace

I'm slightly confused where this money is coming from ?

Yes, lovely project .. but each suggestion has to have deep seated knowledge of engineering, building, sourcing and the technical side of developing this classroomm, which I suspect has not been fully investigated.

Is their paper on line ?

P.S. Would think a little extra money could have been spent on a decent uniform for their presentation.. how sloppy do they look ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 19:44   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I'm slightly confused where this money is coming from ?
Tell you after it's built
Old 03-11-2010, 19:58   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
P.S. Would think a little extra money could have been spent on a decent uniform for their presentation.. how sloppy do they look ...
I know what you mean but that not bad compared to many schools now. Have a look at the kids from the one nearer to me next time your passing.
Old 03-11-2010, 20:03   #30
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

From what I can make out about it, it appears the 350,000 is the projected price of such a build. The kids have put together ideas of how it should be & what would be included, they've then spoken to various companies & suppliers to find out what is available & feasible, the idea was then put forward in a project (I assume alongside other Schools ideas) & theirs was deemed the best option & as such the project winner, apparently this goes back to earlier this year.

Eco-classroom for Accrington school (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Accrington pupils get a green light for eco classroom (From Blackburn Citizen)

Actually think the 350,000 may be a misprint 35,000 sounds more likely.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..