Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 18:26   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: £350,000 classroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
And here it is :

11/10/0477 Full: Erection of single storey building to 25/10/2010
accommodate school swimming pool and Road West Accrington BB5 4FF
external works to include hardsurfacing,
landscaping and parking

Accrington Academy Queens Road West Accrington BB5 4FF

Accrington Academy
Are you sure Katex ? Neil mentioned somethingg (post 22) about a swimming pool so this would appear to cover that, but I thought that the thing the Kids had designed was a "Classroom", or have I got the wrong end of the stick here ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2010, 18:28   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
And here it is :

11/10/0477 Full: Erection of single storey building to 25/10/2010
accommodate school swimming pool and Road West Accrington BB5 4FF
external works to include hardsurfacing,
landscaping and parking

Accrington Academy Queens Road West Accrington BB5 4FF

Accrington Academy

Why should any one object ?
A bit vague, when one considers all that a swimming pool must include, isn't it?

P.S. I personally have nothing against the idea, (but I'm open to persuasion).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 18:40   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
A bit vague, when one considers all that a swimming pool must include, isn't it?

P.S. I personally have nothing against the idea, (but I'm open to persuasion).
Trouble is, Less, HBC have not yet got into this century of including the full plans online (as with other towns): I will keep mentioning this. A trip to Scaitcliffe House is necessary ... and how many of us would bother to do this ? Only residents surrounding the grounds I suspect.

Hopefully, it would gain extra income by taking a leaf out of other people's books by hiring it out to private bodies, as other schools do (usually the Independents ... as per QEGS )
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 18:43   #49
Common Sense Member

Swimming pools generate income to offset their cost, plus this will not only benefit the Academy but presumably many other schools around.

It will cost a fair amount, but this is quite different from one single classroom.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 18:49   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Swimming pools generate income to offset their cost, plus this will not only benefit the Academy but presumably many other schools around.

It will cost a fair amount, but this is quite different from one single classroom.

Yes, I know that, Ken ... was just picking up on Neil's remark in this thread ... just to be helpful like.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 18:56   #51
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Yes, I know that, Ken ... was just picking up on Neil's remark in this thread ... just to be helpful like.
You succeeded in your helpfulness admirably, Kate.

Allow me to furnish you with some karma.

Old 07-11-2010, 19:10   #52
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Yes, it does seem expensive, but how much more use is a self sustaining classroom filled with keen Students, than the boring old same old, we went through?

I was just about old enough to remember the Russians launching 'Sputnik', how jealous I and my classmates were when it was revealed a Grammar School Teacher with his pupils had followed the whole thing, that was one hell of a Teacher, we need more of the same ilk.

These pupils must have one or two Teachers similar to that guy.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 20:13   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Not sure how a swimming pool generates income.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 20:34   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post

Given the number of unwashed who roam around Accrington I would say it's got no chance
Old 07-11-2010, 20:37   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
yeh led a sheltered life mate, all the pervs will pay to go in yon.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28   #56
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes, it does seem expensive, but how much more use is a self sustaining classroom filled with keen Students, than the boring old same old, we went through?

I was just about old enough to remember the Russians launching 'Sputnik', how jealous I and my classmates were when it was revealed a Grammar School Teacher with his pupils had followed the whole thing, that was one hell of a Teacher, we need more of the same ilk.

These pupils must have one or two Teachers similar to that guy.
You've really answered your own point there, it all boils down to the teachers.

We had desks and school equipment from Victorian England (or so it seemed) but we had fantastic teachers and I'm still grateful to every one of them. My primary school education was filled with all sorts of non-curricular activities which broadened my horizons and got us to think in different ways, a freedom which would almost certainly be denied to the teachers we have today.

One lesson in particular stands out in my mind when I was 10 years old. In order to teach us about the different parts of music (bass, melody, rhythm, etc.) our teacher played us Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds and we were spellbound. Part of that lesson also involved drawing scenes from the story that we had seen in our heads.

I just can't imagine that being on any curriculum today but it was lessons such as that which kept my interest in learning going.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23   #57
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Schools often hire out their swimming pools to various groups, or at least that's the case in various areas of Preston and I can't see the reason for it to be any different in Hyndburn.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I just can't imagine that being on any curriculum today but it was lessons such as that which kept my interest in learning going.
You can now take a university degree on David Beckham, or you could a couple of years ago. The one person who had more effect on my early years was one of my first teachers at St Mary's Ossy, local historian Cliff Astin, those were the days when you respected your teachers, which sadly doesn't seem to happen today
Old 08-11-2010, 09:19   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Schools often hire out their swimming pools to various groups, or at least that's the case in various areas of Preston and I can't see the reason for it to be any different in Hyndburn.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the idea (my grandaughter attends the academy) and it appears to be a very fine school.I just thought it unusual for a school to have It's own facility of this kind..

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27   #60
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the idea (my grandaughter attends the academy) and it appears to be a very fine school.I just thought it unusual for a school to have It's own facility of this kind..
It's certainly not the norm and I must admit to being in awe of Severn Drive School in Walton-le-Dale when I was 7 and finding out they had their own pool!

They can't be cheap to maintain but the number of surrounding schools that used the facilities must more than make up for that. Of all the physical activities we did at school I enjoyed swimming most and got more out of it than freezing my extremities off in the mud playing rugby in January.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..