Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Living off the fat of the land. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/living-off-the-fat-of-the-land-45105.html)

garinda 22-01-2009 15:25

Living off the fat of the land.

The leader of Hyndburn Borough Council, Cllr. Britcliffe, is quoted in this weekend's Observer, justyifying the increases in allowances some of our councillors have voted to award themselves.

The allowance for an overnight hotel stay has increased from £99.69 to £145.00 per night.

An evening meal allowance has increased from £10.24 to £25.00.

Faced with criticism from some members of the council that increases of such a great a percentage weren't wise in the current financial climate, Cllr. Britcliffe is quoted as saying, in regard to a recent trip of his to Downing Street, that 'surely you wouldn't expect the leader to camp out in Hyde Park', and 'anybody who can find a meal for £10 in London should write a tourist guide'.

Well, I have no intention of writing a tourist guide, but as someone who lived in London for seventeen years, and like millions of fellow Londoners, managed to eat out very reasonably, without the need for a subsidy from the tax payer's purse, here is my advice.

The Stockpot in Old Compton Street, walking distance from Downing Street, is the perfect place to enjoy a good traditional dinner. Two courses and a glass of red wine will cost under a tenner.

Alternatively Pizza Hut in the Haymarket, again walking distance from Number 10, is a place you can enjoy a medium pizza and salad, and a glass of wine for £9.95.

As for accommodation I know the telephone number of any number of decent hotels in Bayswater and South Kensington, where you can find B & B for £85.00 per night, and the price doesnt change with the season.

This information I'm freely passing on to our leader isn't a secret, known only to Londoners, it is quite accessible to anyone. Anyone who is funding their own trip perhaps, and is not having their trips paid for by the cash strapped residents of Hyndburn.

I hope this information has been useful. If I can ever give any more information that might prevent future increases in councillor's allowances, please feel free to contact me.

As for 'camping in Hyde Park', do be careful after dark.

garinda 22-01-2009 15:28

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

I'm sorry for anyone who hasn't seen this weekend's Observer.

The full story isn't on their website yet.

cashman 22-01-2009 16:16

so glad i'm back, just waiting for andrews comments on our leaders expenses.:D

MargaretR 22-01-2009 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 671405)

Where's ti bin? - I missed you - was on the point of PMing some folk

jaysay 22-01-2009 16:40

Well I don't know why, if councillors are representing the Borough, they can't just bring the receipts back and be reimburse, after all no one should be out of pocket on official business. Its a long time since I stayed in London but I reckon I could still find a decent place to stop at a reasonable price, mind you I did like to stop in a pub when I was travelling:D

cashman 22-01-2009 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 671413)
Well I don't know why, if councillors are representing the Borough, they can't just bring the receipts back and be reimburse, after all no one should be out of pocket on official business. D

i'll tell ya why mate, its the differance between "Honesty" n Deciept":D

Tealeaf 22-01-2009 16:56

If Britcliffe brings a tent next time he's in the smoke, he can stick it up in my back garden and kip there. I'll charge him a tenner but he'll have to get his own breakfast. Just think of all the positive publicity which would result.

garinda 22-01-2009 17:03

By the way, the increase Cllr. Britcliffe voted to award himself for an over night stay equals a 49% increase.

The allowance claimed by Burnley and Ribble Valley councillors is £91 and £121 respectively.

Perhaps he meant he can't find somewhere in London to eat for a tenner that doesn't have a Michelin star.

garinda 22-01-2009 17:09

My doesn't time fly?

It doesen't seem all that long ago that our councillors voted to give themselves a 26% increase for their expenses.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ise-13737.html

cashman 22-01-2009 17:43

so ahemmm our glorious leader has actually awarded himself a 75% rise in expenses in approx three n half years..........some recession.:(

katex 22-01-2009 17:53

Have to slightly put up a different view here Garinda.

I have stayed in 100's of hotels in London (and visited them in the course of my job), and even Travel Lodges charge £85 >> £90 near the centre .. with no restaurant available .. 'cept a machine containing confectioneries.

Before I retired last January, most hotels in London were certainly working out at £100 + per night .. the ones which were accessible to a tube station.

As for the meals, well yes, could walk down the street to the local Pizza Hut if necessary, and have done on many occasions, however, even though I never had any fear of going out of the hotel at night, always felt much safer and less hassle to use a hotel with a restaurant (which B & B's don't have). Can't remember within the last two years when a meal in a hotel's restaurant cost less than £ 20 .. just with one course and 1/2 bottle of wine (which I always felt entitled to after traveling all day). Also hate the communal dining room of a B & B in the morning ... preferred to have it my room as the chatter of other guests first thing in the morning did not set me up well for the rest of the day.

We do have lady concillors too you know who would be nervous of venturing out of a safe environment at night.

Also, the good B & B's are usually booked up way in advance.

In other words, I do not find the increase unreasonable at all.

lancsdave 22-01-2009 17:58

Why does it need an overnight trip to see Downing St ? It's only a 30 second tourist event from the barriers at the end, you can't even see No 10 :confused:

Neil 22-01-2009 18:00

I have worked for a company that had fixed priced allowances when away from home, if you were in London or Paris the rates were higher than standard to allow for the difference.

Another placed I worked you had to save receipts and claim the money back afterwards. That way worked out the best as they did not care how much beer you drank as long as you had the receipts.

garinda 22-01-2009 18:01

The allowance is applicable for any overnight stay, be it Whitehall or Whitby.

Funny how are neibouring councillors seem to manage on less.

katex 22-01-2009 18:04

'Course, one way of cutting this expense down is to go in twos and share a room, as most hotels now only charge per room .... :D:D

katex 22-01-2009 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 671432)
The allowance is applicable for any overnight stay, be it Whitehall or Whitby.

Yeh, but only up to the specified amount, doesn't mean to say they spend this does it ?

Restaurant charges appear to remain the same in hotels irrespective of where it is in the country .. just the room rate may be cheaper than London.

garinda 22-01-2009 18:17

Fifty five quid, en suite, very central, loads of restaurants offering a wide choice of food on your doorstep.

Kensington Court Hotel Bayswater website: Rack Rates

garinda 22-01-2009 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 671435)
Yeh, but only up to the specified amount, doesn't mean to say they spend this does it ?

Restaurant charges appear to remain the same in hotels irrespective of where it is in the country .. just the room rate may be cheaper than London.

It was his petulant comment that if you know of somewhere to eat in London for £10.00 that you should write a travel guide that really irked me. There are lots of very good places.

I don't know what it is about Cllr. 'because I'm worth it' Britcliffe and his expenses, but I always end up picturing Marie Antoinette.

shillelagh 22-01-2009 18:29

In actual fact why if hes going to london on official business why doesnt the council book his room .. that way the invoice is going straight to the council. The council then pays for the room, breakfast ... and anything else is charged to the councillor ... that way room service aint abused!!!

Neil 22-01-2009 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 671433)
'Course, one way of cutting this expense down is to go in twos and share a room, as most hotels now only charge per room .... :D:D

Maybe one of our Councillor members, Claire Pritchard, might like to comment on her thoughts about spending the night in the same hotel room as Peter Britcliffe :D

I am assuming of course that she has not done already :rolleyes:

katex 22-01-2009 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 671436)
Fifty five quid, en suite, very central, loads of restaurants offering a wide choice of food on your doorstep.

Kensington Court Hotel Bayswater website: Rack Rates

But no restaurant in the hotel Garinda ... which is the most safe for ladies. Unless, you knew the restaurants and their bargains, would still cost £20 +.

Also, parking ? that could be a nightmare .... although must admit most hotels will charge extra, even if they have parking facilities, but not so much as the Public Car Parks.

Used to spend lots of precious time looking for a decent, well-priced hotel in London which always overtook the extra expense of my time. Depends on the time of year too.

I wouldn't have stayed there anyway, and will not alter my opinion.

steeljack 22-01-2009 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 671439)
In actual fact why if hes going to london on official business why doesnt the council book his room .. that way the invoice is going straight to the council. The council then pays for the room, breakfast ... and anything else is charged to the councillor ... that way room service aint abused!!!

That would mean the council having to set up a full time travel dept. with a minimum of 3 employees , 1 manager, 1 clerk (to do the work) and 1 accountant to add up the figures .
cost to council , £80,000 per year (not including pension and private medical costs) :rolleyes: :D

garinda 22-01-2009 18:59

Britcliffe isn't a vunerable flower. Your preference for an in-house hotel restaurant is irrelevant.

He said he needs to spend £145.00 per night on a hotel in London, and couldn't eat for a tenner.

He was wrong on both accounts.

garinda 22-01-2009 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 671449)
That would mean the council having to set up a full time travel dept. with a minimum of 3 employees , 1 manager, 1 clerk (to do the work) and 1 accountant to add up the figures .
cost to council , £80,000 per year (not including pension and private medical costs) :rolleyes: :D

I'll do it for him for free.

Hell for £145 I could get him a weeks half board in Tenerife, though that wouldn't include a homeward bound flight.;)

andrewb 22-01-2009 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 671405)

The expenses increase was actually a recommendation by an independent body, who surveyed hotels and restaurants, not the council.

I think it was a grand total of 5 councillors that had actually been to London to represent the borough on expenses. The value is also a limit, a cap. A hotel costing £80 in Winter, could well cost £200 in Summer. Councillor Britcliffe who people are all too happy to have a pop at, actually books his online to ensure the cheapest cost to the taxpayer, when on official business like meeting the Prime Minister. I reckon there will be little difference between this years expense total, and next years.

The point Katex makes is very important, we should not be putting our female councillors at risk. Especially when the visits are so few in number.

Unfortunately I did not have time to grab the Observer this morning, but I can imagine what was wrote in it. I must say, it is quite interesting, how the opposition voted against this one. They voted against an expenses increase a few years ago, and then when it was passed, spent up to the new value in their expenses. They also voted against taking separate expenses for multiple roles within council, and yet yours truly Graham Jones and Clare Prichard, are taking separate expenses for multiple roles. Stinks of cheap newspaper headlines.

I'm glad you're back cashman. I have missed you. ;)

Neil 22-01-2009 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 671452)
I'll do him for free.

I bet you would :rolleyes::p:D

shillelagh 22-01-2009 19:23

Keep it clean Neil!!!!:D

garinda 22-01-2009 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 671442)

I wouldn't have stayed there anyway, and will not alter my opinion.

That's your right, and we'll have to disagree on this one, though it may upset those people who think there's an Accy Web Mafia, who think we always agree with our friends on here.:D

I do think your situation is slightly different though. If a private company expects it's employees to regularly stay away from home, then there should be enough funding to make sure that person feels comfortable, and safe, and expect certain standards when it comes to facilities.

H.B.C. isn't a private company.

Whether the borough of Hyndburn benefited from Cllr. Britcliffe and his Chief Executive's overnight stay in London for the launch of Pennine Lancashire, is another question.

I wonder what time it took place?

I've been to afternoon meetings in London, and have been there and back the same day, thanks to the good old railway sytstem.

garinda 22-01-2009 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 671455)
we should not be putting our female councillors at risk.

It's reassuring to know patronising and sexist attitudes are alive and well in Nu-Tory Lite.

No councillor, regardless of gender, should be forced to stay anywhere they are at risk.

There's no evidence that anyone would be more 'at risk' in a reasonably priced hotel than they would be at the Ritz.

garinda 22-01-2009 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 671458)
I bet you would :rolleyes::p:D

Don't put your life savings on it.

You'd lose your bet.;)

andrewb 22-01-2009 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 671466)
It's reassuring to know patronising and sexist attitudes are alive and well in Nu-Tory Lite.

No councillor, regardless of gender, should be forced to stay anywhere they are at risk.

There's no evidence that anyone would be more 'at risk' in a reasonably priced hotel than they would be at the Ritz.

It's not like you to skip a post and jump at a chance to miss a point. It's not sexist to point out that female councillors may feel unsafe where male ones don't, as a lady earlier in this thread and a female councillor expressed, without being jumped on by anybody, from any side.

yerself 22-01-2009 20:07

I know he's put a few pounds on over the years, but you surely can't be referring to our esteemed leader, Councillor Britcliffe, as 'the fat of the land' can you?;);)

Retlaw 22-01-2009 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 671433)

Who'd want to share a room with Britcliffe.

Retlaw.

cashman 22-01-2009 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 671479)
I know he's put a few pounds on over the years, but you surely can't be referring to our esteemed leader, Councillor Britcliffe, as 'the fat of the land' can you?;);)

thats very unfair yerself, leave "Bunter" alone.:D

MRWOO 23-01-2009 02:31

I reckon that all politicians should go on minimum wage for a year

emamum 23-01-2009 10:33

he can go and get a happy meal from macdonalds for £2, its a meal (alledgedly) its less than a tenner... in fact for a tenner he can have 5 ! yaaaay me! :D:D

garinda 23-01-2009 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 671601)
he can go and get a happy meal from macdonalds for £2, its a meal (alledgedly) its less than a tenner... in fact for a tenner he can have 5 ! yaaaay me! :D:D

There's also a KFC just round the corner from Whitehall, on the Strand, where you can eat in.

He could sit in there and guzzle a full family bucket for only £9.95.:D

emamum 23-01-2009 18:37

i'm interested to know what they class as a meal.

andrewb 27-01-2009 01:38

Glad to see your no party allegiance stance has sparked you into condemning the double standards within the opposing party on expenses too Garinda. ;)

Neil 27-01-2009 07:40

This is LCC allowances I found on their website, it would appear they don't have a limit as such as anything over the allowance can be claimed on production of receipts.

Quote:

Overnight Accommodation

Where the nature of the duties being undertaken result in a councillor or
co-opted member being absent from his/her usual place of residence,
overnight accommodation will be booked and paid directly by the County
Council.
In exceptional circumstances where it is not possible for the County
Council to make a direct booking on behalf of a councillor or co-opted
member, the actual receipted cost of accommodation, including breakfast,
will be reimbursed to the councillor or co-opted member. Such
reimbursement will be subject to a maximum allowance per night of £129
for London and £113 elsewhere in the UK.

Day Subsistence

A councillor or co-opted member may claim up to the following maximum
amounts when absent for the periods stated below from their normal place
of residence:
(a) a period less than 4 hours - £5.65
(b) a period between 4 and 8 hours - £11.25
(c) a period between 8 and 12 hours - £22.50
(d) a period in excess of 12 hours - £33.75
Actual expenditure in excess of £33.75 may be reimbursed subject to the
production of receipts.

garinda 27-01-2009 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 672776)
Glad to see your no party allegiance stance has sparked you into condemning the double standards within the opposing party on expenses too Garinda. ;)

You'll just have to accept the fact, that unlike yourself, being a member of the Conservatives as you are, that I have no hidden agenda to push, and no party line to follow.

This leaves me free to say what I actually think about any given issue, and either praise or criticise as I see fit, as witnessed by my recent negative comments about the present government in the Lordy Lordy thread.

Freedom from wearing political blinkers is a wonderful thing. I feel sorry that you can't enjoy it too.;)

andrewb 27-01-2009 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672797)
You'll just have to accept the fact, that unlike yourself, being a member of the Conservatives as you are, that I have no hidden agenda to push, and no party line to follow.

This leaves me free to say what I actually think about any given issue, and either praise or criticise as I see fit, as witnessed by my recent negative comments about the present government in the Lordy Lordy thread.

Freedom from wearing political blinkers is a wonderful thing. I feel sorry that you can't enjoy it too.;)

Perhaps you should have some real independent convictions then, and come down hard on Labour for expenses hypocrisy too. You're somewhat similar to a oiled worm ;), slipping your way out of situations, with an argument we both know is not an entirely sensible one to repeat. You're a stuck record, so I'll give my stuck response; everybody has 'blinkers', because everyone has opinions. You're aware I'm most close to the Conservative party, because they most closely share my beliefs. One belief I have in this thread, is that Labour have been entirely hypocritical on expenses, which is down right shameful. Perhaps you don't share it, perhaps you should defend them, perhaps you'll even continue giving this response of avoidance. I must inform you though, this isn't an application for the Daily Mail, no doubt your current logic would work wonders though. ;)

garinda 27-01-2009 10:43

[quote=andrewb;672821] You're aware I'm most close to the Conservative party, because they most closely share my beliefs.[quote]

Most close to?

You are an active member of the Conservative party.

I've never found any one party whose policies mirror my own, therefore I choose not to affiliate myself to any party by joining their ranks.

If you can manage to see past your blinkers you'd understand that my comparing this government with the morally corrupt one of John Major's, in relation to the latest scandals, isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.;)

I shall continue commenting on things I think are important from my non-partisan position.

You are free to continue pushing your one party agenda.

Most of us realise that your viewpoint is somewhat skewed by this, and make allowances for you.;)

jaysay 27-01-2009 11:08

[quote=garinda;672829][quote=andrewb;672821] You're aware I'm most close to the Conservative party, because they most closely share my beliefs.
Quote:

Most close to?

You are an active member of the Conservative party.

I've never found any one party whose policies mirror my own, therefore I choose not to affiliate myself to any party by joining their ranks.

If you can manage to see past your blinkers you'd understand that my comparing this government with the morally corrupt one of John Major's, in relation to the latest scandals, isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.;)

I shall continue commenting on things I think are important from my non-partisan position.

You are free to continue pushing your one party agenda.

Most of us realise that your viewpoint is somewhat skewed by this, and make allowances for you.;)
I don't:D

garinda 27-01-2009 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 672821)
You're a stuck record

Personally the only time my needle seems stuck is when I've said something the Tory clique on Accy Web don't want to hear.

Then I have to repeat myself again and again, and give examples, of both praise and criticism I've made of both ends of the political spectrum, thus proving my impartial stand.

Gayle 27-01-2009 11:44

Well I would defend any of the councillors for taking the allowances and expenses. If I'd have been elected then too right I would have done it too.

I spend a lot of time in the council offices and some of the councillors are in there most of the time. As for making them take minimum pay - they'd be claiming more if they did that. Being on the council is a 24hr thing, 7 days a week - people ring them up at all hours to complain or comment on things and expect them to be at their beck and call. They don't earn a salary for being on the council and the amount they can claim comes no where near the salary that they'd be missing out on if they worked elsewhere.

Whilst the expenses hike might have seemed like a big one, let's put it into perspective - Britcliffe only spent about 5 nights away last year (or something like that) very few others actually spent any nights away. The additional amount claimed is probably peanuts.

cashman 27-01-2009 11:48

wasting yer time trying to give examples rindy, me grandad always used to say- ya can't put sense where there is none.:rolleyes:

andrewb 27-01-2009 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672829)

Which presumably isn't when Labour are hypocritical about expenses and spend them despite voting to keep 'em down, judging by your refusal to condemn it. You're risking your moral high horse of independence here. I may have to stop taking your non-partisan position seriously. ;)

jaysay 27-01-2009 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 672843)
Well I would defend any of the councillors for taking the allowances and expenses. If I'd have been elected then too right I would have done it too.

I spend a lot of time in the council offices and some of the councillors are in there most of the time. As for making them take minimum pay - they'd be claiming more if they did that. Being on the council is a 24hr thing, 7 days a week - people ring them up at all hours to complain or comment on things and expect them to be at their beck and call. They don't earn a salary for being on the council and the amount they can claim comes no where near the salary that they'd be missing out on if they worked elsewhere.

Whilst the expenses hike might have seemed like a big one, let's put it into perspective - Britcliffe only spent about 5 nights away last year (or something like that) very few others actually spent any nights away. The additional amount claimed is probably peanuts.

I think your reading my script Gayle, but you put things for more eloquently than I ever could. I know that Brian Walmsley worked out that if he was paid the minimum hourly rate he would be a hell of a sight better off. Earlier this year I was having a drink in Ossy Social and Brian came in about 9-40pm, he told me that he had been out of the house since 8-30am thats over 13 hours and believe me that ain't a one off. Gayle is quite right in saying that councillors are on call 24/7 and by that I mean all councillors of all parties, its a thankless job, because working on behalf of the general public is a nightmare. All anybody has to do is ask one question, look in the mirror and ask would I work for me, iF the answers no forget being a councillor you won't make it

garinda 27-01-2009 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 672845)
Which presumably isn't when Labour are hypocritical about expenses and spend them despite voting to keep 'em down, judging by your refusal to condemn it. You're risking your moral high horse of independence here. I may have to stop taking your non-partisan position seriously. ;)

Blinkerd yet again!

If you'd care to do a search on Accy Web you'll find exactly what I think regarding whether M.P.'s full expenses should be published, and the attacks on trying to block the proposed transparency. The Labour leader of the Commons Michael Martin came in for particular bashing.

It's really too laborious to keep repeating what I believe to be true every time a new thread starts on a subject, when it's already been said.

Quiet day in your ivory tower in Hull?

Must be, for my views to be so important to you.

garinda 27-01-2009 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 672843)

Five times £170 equals £850.

Peanuts to some maybe, but I suspect not for many. Especially when our neighbouring councillors can apparently accommodate themselves for much less than the ones here in Hyndburn.

The petulant claim from Cllr. Britcliffe that if anyone knows where you can eat in London for £10, instead of the increased £25, has been addressed, because you can eat very well for a tenner in the capital, and evidence has been supplied.

No one is saying our councillors don't do a good job, and work hard, above and beyond the call of duty, and no one should be out of pocket for providing a public service as a councillor.

It just happened that they voted to increase their allowances by such a large percentage when most of the rest of the country is having to tighten it's collective belt.

cashman 27-01-2009 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672932)

It just happened that they voted to increase their allowances by such a large percentage when most of the rest of the country is having to tighten it's collective belt.

its that simple fact that seems to have gone oer the heads of some.:rolleyes:

garinda 27-01-2009 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 672936)
its that simple fact that seems to have gone oer the heads of some.:rolleyes:

Still, they're worth it.

If you want the best you have to pay for it.:rolleyes:

katex 27-01-2009 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672932)
Five times £170 equals £850.

And you my little poppet are still being blinkered about other people's points of view in this discussion .. is only a ceiling price and last time Cllr Britcliffe stayed in London, he paid £71 room rate, which to me is blooming cheap !

The petulant claim from Cllr. Britcliffe that if anyone knows where you can eat in London for £10, instead of the increased £25, has been addressed, because you can eat very well for a tenner in the capital, and evidence has been supplied.

Well, maybe for you who lived in London for a while, but for someone visiting rarely, would take many hours to locate a decent evening meal for this ... unless McDonalds or Pizza Hut is on the menu.
Finished up staying at the London Kensington Hilton .. try and find a restaurant on Holland Park Road, that has anything around £10.
Dinner, bed, breakfast for single room is now £ 145 ... blimey though, the car park is now £30 for 24 hour stay !

No one is saying our councillors don't do a good job, and work hard, above and beyond the call of duty, and no one should be out of pocket for providing a public service as a councillor.

Exactly !

Feel probably long overdue and should have been done ages ago.
Again think this increase is only to take in London, not the rest of the country, which can be done much cheaper of course.

Think it best to agree to differ here ... :D
Am not a snob that has not stayed in the Travel Lodges/Holiday Express's of this world and many grotty establishments .. LOL

garinda 27-01-2009 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 672957)
Think it best to agree to differ here ... :D
Am not a snob that has not stayed in the Travel Lodges/Holiday Express's of this world and many grotty establishments .. LOL

Like I said earlier, I do think your situation is different, in that your expenses came from your employer, and not the public purse, just as my own did in a similar situation. I always booked the best deal for me, and for the company's coffers.

I still think the percentage increase of the allowances is outrageous, when neighbouring councils can make sure their councillors can apparently do it for much less.

Perhaps H.B.C. would be wiser to spend money on some good P.R., so it doesn't look like they're throwing financial caution to the wind, whilst the rest of the country feels the increasingly hard bite of the credit crunch. A good P.R. person would be able to explain when is and when isn't a good time to do something like this, so it becomes a little more palatable to us the great unwashed.

Like you say, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.:p

(By the way knowing of reasonable places to eat well and cheaply has nothing to do with living there for seventeen years. Most available guide books will mention the Stockpot chain, and other similar restaurants. There's even one in Basil Street in sumptuous Knightsbridge, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, but a stones throw, or a short cab ride, from the Kensington Hilton.);)

:D

andrewb 27-01-2009 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672921)
Blinkerd yet again!

If you'd care to do a search on Accy Web you'll find exactly what I think regarding whether M.P.'s full expenses should be published, and the attacks on trying to block the proposed transparency. The Labour leader of the Commons Michael Martin came in for particular bashing.

It's really too laborious to keep repeating what I believe to be true every time a new thread starts on a subject, when it's already been said.

Quiet day in your ivory tower in Hull?

Must be, for my views to be so important to you.

Your views are always important to me. I note how you still refuse to condemn the hypocrisy of Labour at HBC. If the Conservatives vote through independently assessed expenses, you call foul, when Labour use those expenses, after voting against them and screaming from the rooftops, you refuse to open your mouth. Independence is a wonderful thing eh. ;)

garinda 27-01-2009 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 672972)
Your views are always important to me. I note how you still refuse to condemn the hypocrisy of Labour at HBC. If the Conservatives vote through independently assessed expenses, you call foul, when Labour use those expenses, after voting against them and screaming from the rooftops, you refuse to open your mouth. Independence is a wonderful thing eh. ;)

Legally there is nothing to stop councillors of any party putting in expenses for the new increased rate, now they have been voted for and passed.

If it came to light that any councillors who'd voted against the increase, and then took an expense claim to the upper limit of the new allowance, I'd find that morally wrong, and I would condemn their hypocrisy.

Clear enough for you?

If it isn't, try tilting your head away from the screen a little, to allow better vision via the side of your one party agenda blinkers.;)

Eric 27-01-2009 19:15

I don't know too much about your local politics, but it appears that what your councillor is doing is not too outrageous in itself, but is in its timing. Many politicians in Canada are accepting a salary freeze and a cap on expenses ... it is a fitting gesture given the tough economic times the world is facing. Seems like your councillor is kinda dense, or insensitive ... or maybe both. A time when your PM admits that the UK is officially in recession .... (he did this in an interview he had with the CBC; so he must have said something about it to the British public) ... is no time to stick one's snout a little deeper into the public trough.

cashman 27-01-2009 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 672986)
I don't know too much about your local politics, but it appears that what your councillor is doing is not too outrageous in itself, but is in its timing. Many politicians in Canada are accepting a salary freeze and a cap on expenses ... it is a fitting gesture given the tough economic times the world is facing. Seems like your councillor is kinda dense, or insensitive ... or maybe both. A time when your PM admits that the UK is officially in recession .... (he did this in an interview he had with the CBC; so he must have said something about it to the British public) ... is no time to stick one's snout a little deeper into the public trough.

see even n ex-pat can see it, pity some who live here are too blinkered.:rolleyes:

andrewb 27-01-2009 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672981)

If it came to light that any councillors who'd voted against the increase, and then took an expense claim to the upper limit of the new allowance, I'd find that morally wrong, and I would condemn their hypocrisy.

Very clear. Thank-you for condemning them. I agree it's wrong for them to do so, its very cheap to vote against expenses, shout and scream about it, then take it up.

garinda 27-01-2009 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 673007)
Very clear. Thank-you for condemning them. I agree it's wrong for them to do so, its very cheap to vote against expenses, shout and scream about it, then take it up.

Good.

You're learning to see a little through your blinkers.

I might even try a sadle on you tomorrow.

Good boy.

Have a sugar lump.

jaysay 28-01-2009 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 673129)
Good.

You're learning to see a little through your blinkers.

Good boy.

Have a sugar lump.

Be careful Rindi, he might just give you a rough ride, make sure you have plenty of sugar lumps just in case:D:rolleyes:

Neil 28-01-2009 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 673129)

Are you going to stick an orange in his mouth at the same time and take him for a ride?

jaysay 28-01-2009 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 673185)
Are you going to stick an orange in his mouth at the same time and take him for a ride?

Shoooooooosh Neil people will think Rindi's a Tory MP:D

garinda 28-01-2009 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 673185)

Goodness no.

You can't ride a Shetland.

My plan is to have him jumping through hoops, then I can sell him to Chipperfield's.

jaysay 28-01-2009 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 673205)
Goodness no.

You can't ride a Shetland.

My plan is to have him jumping through hoops, then I can sell him to Chipperfield's.

That's being smallist Rindi, and you'll hurt Andrews feelings he's very sensitive you know:D

lancsdave 28-01-2009 18:07

Chicken feed, wait while they get to county council level :mad:

ALMOST £2,700 of taxpayers’ money was used to send a senior councillor to an international conference in New York, it has been revealed.
County Hall bosses flew Matthew Tomlinson, the cabinet member in charge of transport, out to the US for the four-day event, saying it would benefit Lancashire.
But an opposition councillor has criticised the decision, insisting that the trip could have been undertaken at a lower cost to council taxpayers.
County Coun Tomlinson, the man in charge of Lancashire’s roads, flew out to the Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress in New York in November at a cost of £2,674.56.
Geoff Driver, leader of County Hall’s opposition Conservative group, said: “The question is: did we need to go to New York? If the answer is yes then we needed to go in the cheapest possible way and £2,700 does not seem to be that way.

Neil 28-01-2009 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 673342)
“The question is: did we need to go to New York? If the answer is yes then we needed to go in the cheapest possible way and £2,700 does not seem to be that way.

I don't agree with going in the cheapest possible way. This man was representing our County. I would not expect him to be flying with chickens on his knee and staying in a B&B while he was there.

garinda 29-01-2009 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 673360)
I don't agree with going in the cheapest possible way. This man was representing our County. I would not expect him to be flying with chickens on his knee and staying in a B&B while he was there.

I bet he'd have found a better deal for a flight that cost £2,674.56, without having a crate of chickens on his lap, or being strapped to a wing of the plane for the journey, if he'd been paying for the trip out of his own pocket.;)

jaysay 29-01-2009 09:21

Its not that long since that a Labour County Councillor was on seminar somewhere in the lake district, it so happened that there was an important meeting back in good old Hyndburn so the said councillor booked a taxi there and back to attend the meeting then return to the away day junket in sunny Cumbria:rolleyes:

jaysay 30-01-2009 10:39

Maybe, just maybe, if the Observer had published the whole facts about councillors expenses for staying away from home on council business, the big furore could have been avoided. I think, not for the first time the Observer have been guilty of using journalist licence or in other words why let the truth get in the way of a good story. The facts of the issue are as follows.
The allowances claimed by councillors are set by an Independent Revue Body, the allowances for overnight accommodation were set at £110 for accommodation and £10 for meal allowance around 5 or 6 years ago, on revue it was recommended the the maximum allowances be increased to £145 and £25 respectively. These amounts are not what councillors are paid but what is the upper limit that can be claimed. Councillors who stay away on council business have to furnish all receipts for meals and accomadation in order to claim back out of pocket expenses, a fact that was not mentioned in the Observer article last Friday. Over the last 12 months Councillor Britcliffe has stayed away on council business just one night, that was when he visited Downing Street representing Hyndburn. On this occasion his accommodation was pre-booked on line prior to going, the cost of which was £79 for overnight accommodation Bed and Breakfast in central London and he claimed £12-30p for an evening meal. I hardly think that by any stretch of the imagination can be classed as Living of the fat of the land

Benipete 30-01-2009 10:50

Quote;On this occasion his accommodation was pre-booked on line prior to going, the cost of which was £79 for overnight accommodation Bed and Breakfast in central London and he claimed £12-30p for an evening meal. I hardly think that by any stretch of the imagination can be classed as Living of the fat of the land;

Why didn't you say before you spoke?:D:D

jaysay 30-01-2009 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 673795)
Quote;On this occasion his accommodation was pre-booked on line prior to going, the cost of which was £79 for overnight accommodation Bed and Breakfast in central London and he claimed £12-30p for an evening meal. I hardly think that by any stretch of the imagination can be classed as Living of the fat of the land;

Why didn't you say before you spoke?:D:D

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

garinda 30-01-2009 12:12

The Observer did their duty in giving the facts, as far as I see it.

The original story did mention that the increases had been recommended by an independent review body.

Just as they also mentioned that some councillors voted for to award the increases, and some didn't.

I wonder why Peter Britcliffe voted for increases of such a great percentage hike, when he's proved that he could both accommodate and feed himself in our most expensive city, for much less than the voted for increases?

Would our councillors not have been wiser to vote for a lesser increase than the independent review suggested, thus showing the rest of the residents of Hyndburn that they understand the need for restraint in this financial crisis?

The lack of understanding of people's feeling on this matter, when many people are struggling, and many fear unemployment, nevermind if they are in work having to settle for pay freezes or cuts, makes those councillors who voted for the increases look like they have very little understanding of the real world.

garinda 30-01-2009 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 673793)
Maybe, just maybe, if the Observer had published the whole facts about councillors expenses for staying away from home on council business, the big furore could have been avoided. I think, not for the first time the Observer have been guilty of using journalist licence or in other words why let the truth get in the way of a good story. The facts of the issue are as follows.
The allowances claimed by councillors are set by an Independent Revue Body, the allowances for overnight accommodation were set at £110 for accommodation and £10 for meal allowance around 5 or 6 years ago, on revue it was recommended the the maximum allowances be increased to £145 and £25 respectively. These amounts are not what councillors are paid but what is the upper limit that can be claimed. Councillors who stay away on council business have to furnish all receipts for meals and accomadation in order to claim back out of pocket expenses, a fact that was not mentioned in the Observer article last Friday. Over the last 12 months Councillor Britcliffe has stayed away on council business just one night, that was when he visited Downing Street representing Hyndburn. On this occasion his accommodation was pre-booked on line prior to going, the cost of which was £79 for overnight accommodation Bed and Breakfast in central London and he claimed £12-30p for an evening meal. I hardly think that by any stretch of the imagination can be classed as Living of the fat of the land

Blimey, you have access to much more detailed information about Cllr. Britcliffe's comings and goings than the journalists at the Observer.

Was the 30p a tip?

I hope it's not too much of a burden having friends in such high places, and being used as a mouthpiece.

We'll have to start calling you Emu, Nookie Bear, or would you prefer Lord Charles?

Did the £12.30 include a nice 'gottle of gear' for Cllr. Britcliffe?

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ic...3E9F2B9B27.jpg

jaysay 30-01-2009 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 673818)
Blimey, you have access to much more detailed information about Cllr. Britcliffe's comings and goings than the journalists at the Observer.

Was the 30p a tip?

I hope it's not too much of a burden having friends in such high places, and being used as a mouthpiece.

We'll have to start calling you Emu, Nookie Bear, or would you prefer Lord Charles?

Did the £12.30 include a nice 'gottle of gear' for Cllr. Britcliffe?

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ic...3E9F2B9B27.jpg

No he paid for his own wine:D Well as you have pointed out on more than one occasion that I am a friend of the Leader of the Council, it was only when I was talking to Peter this morning on another issue ( the Rovers) that I mentioned the expenses issue, it was then I got chapter and verse on the subject, its just a pity that the Observer couldn't be bother about printing the whole details instead of printing half a story, but then it wouldn't have stirred the pot for people like your good self would it Rindi

garinda 30-01-2009 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 673828)
No he paid for his own wine:D Well as you have pointed out on more than one occasion that I am a friend of the Leader of the Council, it was only when I was talking to Peter this morning on another issue ( the Rovers) that I mentioned the expenses issue, it was then I got chapter and verse on the subject, its just a pity that the Observer couldn't be bother about printing the whole details instead of printing half a story, but then it wouldn't have stirred the pot for people like your good self would it Rindi

Perhaps he'd have been wiser to have told the press present at the meeting how much he actually spent in London (much less than the voted for increase), than yourself?

Let's also not forget that it's less than two years ago that Cllr. Britcliffe caused more public outrage, when he voted to award himself what was basically a 20% increases in expenses for himself.

Expenses rise sparks fury in council chamber - News - Accrington Observer

As stated earlier, perhaps Cllr. Britcliffe might better use his money on some good P.R.

It might then appear to those stuggling because of the credit crunch,that he's less like Marie 'let them eat cake' Antoinette, and wouldn't have petulant quotes appearing in the press, about people should write guide books if they know of anywhere in London where you can eat for a tenner, when you quite clearly can.

As well as making clear that the ivory tower of Scaitcliffe House isn't immune from the economic worries that the rest of the country is facing, he'd also look a little more like he was in tune with the feelings of the residents of Hyndburn, and not so woefully out of touch with reality.

jaysay 30-01-2009 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 673837)
Perhaps he'd have been wiser to have told the press present at the meeting how much he actually spent in London (much less than the voted for increase), than yourself?

Let's also not forget that it's less than two years ago that Cllr. Britcliffe caused more public outrage, when he voted to award himself what was basically a 20% increases in expenses for himself.

Expenses rise sparks fury in council chamber - News - Accrington Observer

As stated earlier, perhaps Cllr. Britcliffe might better use his money on some good P.R.

It might then appear to those stuggling because of the credit crunch,that he's less like Marie 'let them eat cake' Antoinette, and wouldn't have petulant quotes appearing in the press, about people should write guide books if they know of anywhere in London where you can eat for a tenner, when you quite clearly can.

As well as making clear that the ivory tower of Scaitcliffe House isn't immune from the economic worries that the rest of the country is facing, he'd also look a little more like he was in tune with the feelings of the residents of Hyndburn, and not so woefully out of touch with reality.

Rindi, your mouthwash ain't making it:rolleyes:

claytonender 30-01-2009 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 673793)

Was Councillor Britcliffe's attendance at the Local Government Association conference in Bournemouth in July 2008 not classed as a stay away on Hyndburn Council business?

garinda 30-01-2009 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 673878)
Rindi, your mouthwash ain't making it:rolleyes:

I've nothing personal against the man.

I've said on here before the children he taught at my primary school loved him. I know people he's gone out of his way to help, above and beyond the call of duty, in his job as a councillor. A lot of people I know, who also know him, think he's a sound bloke. Hell even my own grandmother thought he was a 'lovely lad'.

However that won't stop me finding fault, or praise, as I have on this forum, when there's something that needs highlighting.

For instance wanting to change the name of the borough, at whatever expense. Introducing town councils, when no one, including the council, knew what exactly they'd be responsible for, or how much more they'd add to Council Tax bills, nevermind the debacle of the costly questionaires that half the residents never got. Then there are these increases in expenses, way above the rate of inflation, and the devil may care attitude and quotes he gives to the press.

Nothing against the man, as stated earlier, though I suppose I'm a little afraid the Conservatives might still put him forward as a candidate at the next General Election, even though he's stood twice before, and been rejected as the honourable Member of Parliament for Accrington and....oops, Hyndburn.

garinda 30-01-2009 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 673924)
Was Councillor Britcliffe's attendance at the Local Government Association conference in Bournemouth in July 2008 not classed as a stay away on Hyndburn Council business?

Oh but Bounemouth in July can be quite lovely.

The Royal Bath is a fabulous hotel.

I wonder if he saw it from his sleeping bag on the beach?

katex 30-01-2009 18:25

Noticed you opposed these increases Claytonender .. just wait until you have to stay away to a Conference on Council business. Being a woman is worse, as we have to look decent, and let's see how much you will have to spend on extras like decent clothes, which you will not get to recompense for.

S'okay for fellas .. they can wear the same evening/day suit every year without note.. but for us ladies ' tis a no, no to wear the same cocktail dress year after year.

Sure you would not wish to represent Hyndburn looking like a bag lady.

Must be a nightmare for a lady Mayor ... how much will she have to spend on her appearance.

There again, do they get a clothing allowance ?

garinda 30-01-2009 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 673932)
Noticed you opposed these increases Claytonender .. just wait until you have to stay away to a Conference on Council business. Being a woman is worse, as we have to look decent, and let's see how much you will have to spend on extras like decent clothes, which you will not get to recompense for.

S'okay for fellas .. they can wear the same evening/day suit every year without note.. but for us ladies ' tis a no, no to wear the same cocktail dress year after year.

Sure you would not wish to represent Hyndburn looking like a bag lady.

Must be a nightmare for a lady Mayor ... how much will she have to spend on her appearance.

There again, do they get a clothing allowance ?

I don't think the women, of all social classes, cared what they wore when they threw themselves under the King's horse at the Derby, or were being force fed in Holloway, in order for women to be allowed to vote, or enter that nasty world that is politics.

katex 30-01-2009 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 673939)
I don't think the women, of all social classes, cared what they wore when they threw themselves under the King's horse at the Derby, or were being force fed in Holloway, in order for women to be allowed to vote, or enter that nasty world that is politics.

Garinda .. we are in 2009 now !! Get real. :rolleyes:

MargaretR 30-01-2009 18:44

Bessie Braddock never looked 'stylish' but was admired and respected
Barbara Castle did have style, and some criticise her for it

garinda 30-01-2009 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 673940)
Garinda .. we are in 2009 now !! Get real. :rolleyes:

I am, just like all my female friends who see themselves as being at least equal, if not beter than men, and don't see the need for any special privileges and allowances just because of their gender, either in business, politics, or the 'real' world in general.;):D

garinda 30-01-2009 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 673949)
Bessie Braddock never looked 'stylish' but was admired and respected

Exactly.

katex 30-01-2009 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 673949)
Barbara Castle did have style, and some criticise her for it

Exactly Margaret ... the Press always have a go at us women trying to come up to standard in dress, apart from Boris ... nobody bothers about the men !!

Equality not quite here yet.

Problem is, it is other women/press that knock badly dressed contemporaries. Image is a big factor unfortunately. Yes, Bessie Braddock was much loved, however, bet even she spent lots of money on her clothes, even though she always looked like 'a sack tied in the middle'.

Garinda: You have obviously have never been in the 'real world' of business, whereby women still struggle for a position here. Would have thought you would have had a little more empathy for this, having designed clothing for the high profile celebrities. First impressions always count.

claytonender 30-01-2009 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 673932)

Yes I did vote against the increase, as I felt that in the current economic climate Hyndburn council should be setting an example. I did agree with removing the cap on carer's allowance, as I don't think the cost of having to pay for the care of dependants should be a bar to anyone standing for election.
In a previous job I used to deal with the processing of employee's expense claims. I found these fell into 2 categories. One where the person had just spent frugally as they would have done, if they had been spending their own money and the other where they bought the most expensive items they could because it wasn't their own money.
Also as I travel to London quite often (in a private capacity) I do know how cheaply you can eat out. As for spending extra on clothes, if you shop prudently you can find lots of bargains, my favourite place for buying clothes is Boundary Mill.

Royboy39 30-01-2009 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 673981)
Also as I travel to London quite often (in a private capacity) I do know how cheaply you can eat out. As for spending extra on clothes, if you shop prudently you can find lots of bargains, my favourite place for buying clothes is Boundary Mill.

I think that is the most patronising statement I have ever read on Accyweb.........A lot of the young lasses on here cant afford the bus fare to boundary mills never mind buying there. :rolleyes:

katex 30-01-2009 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 673981)
As for spending extra on clothes, if you shop prudently you can find lots of bargains, my favourite place for buying clothes is Boundary Mill.

Well, you are admitting then that you would have to spend extra money on looking what you consider decent for a formal trip, be it Primark or Harvey Nichols. Clothes you would not need for everyday wear.

Anyway, you councilors go on very few overnight stays; so what is all the fuss about ?? If you do, would expect you to look professional and well-attired whilst representing the people of Hyndburn, and so would many councilors think this way, prompting them to spend the 'extra' expense out of their own pockets to do so.

garinda 30-01-2009 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 673980)
Garinda: You have obviously have never been in the 'real world' of business, whereby women still struggle for a position here. Would have thought you would have had a little more empathy for this, having designed clothing for the high profile celebrities. First impressions always count.

I have had both female and male employers, and employed both female and male employees, both in the fashion world, and also in other fields. Just because I've never felt the need to share my experiences on here, doesn't mean I haven't done it. For instance for most of my career I was never employed as a 'designer'. I was mostly involved with buying, and the creative economics of running busiesses with a multi-million pound turn-over, which l increased by over 200% in three years, but that's another story. If I designed for people it was mainly for private clients, or as a favour for one of those female friends who'd laugh at the fact that they should be given differing allowances for being female rather than male.;)

As stated earlier most women I know personally would be both insulted and demeaned if they were given special privileges and allowances because of their gender.

The world I live in may not be the same as your 'real world' but it is one in which there is equality, backed up by laws to enforce the concept.

I fear we are going to also have to disagree on this point...again, so I'll leave it there.:D:)

MargaretR 30-01-2009 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 674003)
I think that is the most patronising statement I have ever read on Accyweb.........A lot of the young lasses on here cant afford the bus fare to boundary mills never mind buying there. :rolleyes:

I have 3 coats bought at Boundary Mill sales in recent years.
I watch the pennies - they were cheaper than M&S and Littlewoods catalogue despite having cashmere in the wool fabric.

katex 30-01-2009 20:55

Well, whatever, Garinda .. just know I have had to spend 100's of pounds trying to look professional in business suits and decent cocktail dresses, which does not encompass the male gender.

It's not a matter of being insulted and demeaned because of their female gender .. just a fact of life that it costs more to make us look decent, and know that criticism is still aimed at us for looking less than decent ..... :p

Think men should get a clothing allowance too though to help with their business suits ... just an unrecognisable expense of office workers, after all, men/women on the shop floor are usually provided with workwear, f.o.c.

You are lucky if provided with a uniform. Used to provide my office staff, when I worked in Manchester, with a workwear business suit Summer and Winter and boy, were they grateful of not having to pull out this extra expense.

g jones 30-01-2009 20:56

First post by AndrewB, my name comes up followed by the word hypocrite. Ditto the second without a direct mention. You just can't control yourself Andrew can you?

The first point always missed is priorities. Whose pushing this forward in the first place. Labour Councillors don't bring to the agenda Members Allowances, they are always brought, in my time by The Council (Conservatives). That's whose driving the issue.

To follow that, the Conservatives are in power and stay in power. There seems no strong voice from the public to stop this at the ballot box. When it comes to hands in the air in Council, the fact is Labour Councillors do not put up expenses, Conservatives do and have a majority in Council and a mandate to do so.

If we had a Labour Council, allowances would not be going up above inflation. So it is necessary to vote against.

They have risen from about £1,800? in 2002 when I got on to about £4,100 now.

Since then 'The Council' have also voted through rises in food & hotel allowances, carers allowances and importantly removed the one extra allowance only limit.

I voted against that rise and every rise since 2002 above inflation. So have the Independents. Everyone has then accepted them after the vote has been lost to the Conservatives. Bare in mind I lose about £7,000 in lost wages at my place of work to be on the Council. In that respect the The Council (Conservatives) have a point.

Labour Councillors have never run to the press - ok Dave Parkins has - to blow this story up. As AndrewB wrongly put it (again!), shout from the roof tops and then take the allowance. There has been no shouting from the rooftop.

Where it gets 'out of hand' is the extra allowances.

The Council (Conservatives) proposed the removal of the 'one extra allowance only' limit so I now claim two.The first is Opposition Leader. £6,000. The second is Planning Committee, £750. Labour Councillors voted FOR the small allowance to be paid to Planning Committee (because it is the longest and hardest committee that meets more often and takes up the most time) under the 2nd allowances rule.

So AndrewB I am not a hypocrite on multiple allowances. You are easily fooled by MrB I can see.

It's all about who is benefiting from these changes in rules and payments.

Lets take MrB. Increased basic to £4,200. Increase Leaders extra (first) to x5 basic on top. Allowed multiple allownaces so chair of Ossy AC another £750, Chair of Area Councils, Chair of Licensing another £6,000 and that's off the top of my head.

Other Councillors (the ones in power and voting trough these rises) have Basic £4k + cabinet £6k + chair £6k +Area Council Chair £1k + Planning £750. Nice little earner with 4 extra allowances.

The Council (Conservatives) have increased vice chairs allowances to £5,000 (to pay off people) and multiplied the number of committees (with Chairs and Vice Chairs) to pay even more Councillors (Conservatives). Took Vice Chairs off Labour to pay even more Tories even more and removed the one extra allowance so all these Chairs and Vice chairs turned being a Councillor into a nice little junket FOR THEM.

It's also about who is claiming child care - the last time I looked 4 Conservatives were taking substantial sums in Child Care. I don't recall any Labour member doing so. And some of it is suspicious to say the least. And mileage. I claimed for May 2002 and have never claimed since mileage. Every drop of petrol being paid for by 'other allowances/my wage at work'.

Then there's the Rural Conference. 3 Tories every year, £3,000. A one day Conference about farming. Lovely! Great hotel too! (What part of Hyndburn is rural BTW?)

The real reason for £170 hotel allowances is the LAG Conference is once again in the lovely Harrogate. Like MrB says, very few Councillors go or stay in London (true). Nice is Harrogate, nice hotels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not whether your a hypocrite AndrewB, that's not the issue, thats just your political spin, life is full of contradictions. Contradictions can be ok because life is complicated and often a compromise.

The real issue is, how deep have you got your nose in the trough!

Royboy39 30-01-2009 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 674019)
First post by AndrewB, my name comes up followed by the word hypocrite. Ditto the second without a direct mention. You just can't control yourself Andrew can you?

The first point always missed is priorities. Whose pushing this forward in the first place. Labour Councillors don't bring to the agenda Members Allowances, they are always brought, in my time by The Council (Conservatives). That's whose driving the issue.

To follow that, the Conservatives are in power and stay in power. There seems no strong voice from the public to stop this at the ballot box. When it comes to hands in the air in Council, the fact is Labour Councillors do not put up expenses, Conservatives do and have a majority in Council and a mandate to do so.

If we had a Labour Council, allowances would not be going up above inflation. So it is necessary to vote against.

They have risen from about £1,800? in 2002 when I got on to about £4,100 now.

Since then 'The Council' have also voted through rises in food & hotel allowances, carers allowances and importantly removed the one extra allowance only limit.

I voted against that rise and every rise since 2002 above inflation. So have the Independents. Everyone has then accepted them after the vote has been lost to the Conservatives. Bare in mind I lose about £7,000 in lost wages at my place of work to be on the Council. In that respect the The Council (Conservatives) have a point.

Labour Councillors have never run to the press - ok Dave Parkins has - to blow this story up. As AndrewB wrongly put it (again!), shout from the roof tops and then take the allowance. There has been no shouting from the rooftop.

Where it gets 'out of hand' is the extra allowances.

The Council (Conservatives) proposed the removal of the 'one extra allowance only' limit so I now claim two.The first is Opposition Leader. £6,000. The second is Planning Committee, £750. Labour Councillors voted FOR the small allowance to be paid to Planning Committee (because it is the longest and hardest committee that meets more often and takes up the most time) under the 2nd allowances rule.

So AndrewB I am not a hypocrite on multiple allowances. You are easily fooled by MrB I can see.

It's all about who is benefiting from these changes in rules and payments.

Lets take MrB. Increased basic to £4,200. Increase Leaders extra (first) to x5 basic on top. Allowed multiple allownaces so chair of Ossy AC another £750, Chair of Area Councils, Chair of Licensing another £6,000 and that's off the top of my head.

Other Councillors (the ones in power and voting trough these rises) have Basic £4k + cabinet £6k + chair £6k +Area Council Chair £1k + Planning £750. Nice little earner with 4 extra allowances.

The Council (Conservatives) have increased vice chairs allowances to £5,000 (to pay off people) and multiplied the number of committees (with Chairs and Vice Chairs) to pay even more Councillors (Conservatives). Took Vice Chairs off Labour to pay even more Tories even more and removed the one extra allowance so all these Chairs and Vice chairs turned being a Councillor into a nice little junket FOR THEM.

It's also about who is claiming child care - the last time I looked 4 Conservatives were taking substantial sums in Child Care. I don't recall any Labour member doing so. And some of it is suspicious to say the least. And mileage. I claimed for May 2002 and have never claimed since mileage. Every drop of petrol being paid for by 'other allowances/my wage at work'.

Then there's the Rural Conference. 3 Tories every year, £3,000. A one day Conference about farming. Lovely! Great hotel too! (What part of Hyndburn is rural BTW?)

The real reason for £170 hotel allowances is the LAG Conference is once again in the lovely Harrogate. Like MrB says, very few Councillors go or stay in London (true). Nice is Harrogate, nice hotels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not whether your a hypocrite AndrewB, that's not the issue, thats just your political spin, life is full of contradictions. Contradictions can be ok because life is complicated and often a compromise.

The real issue is, how deep have you got your nose in the trough!

Oh what a wicked web we weave......Spanish politics is bent also....but sometimes they get caught.

As long as Gordon Brown does not say 'The UK is mine' we will have to live with it.

garinda 30-01-2009 21:17

A one day 'Rural Conference' that costs us £3,000 to send three councillors from Hyndburn?

I'll be keeping an eye out for flying pigs the next time I'm shopping in the increasingly derelict shopping experience that is Accrington.

Some of these expense hikes are treating the people who are paying for them as 'rural' dung, to put it politely.

Royboy39 30-01-2009 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 674030)
A one day 'Rural Conference' that costs us £3,000 to send three councillors from Hyndburn?

I'll be keeping an eye out for flying pigs the next time I'm shopping in the increasingly derelict shopping experience that is Accrington.

Some of these expense hikes are treating the people who are paying for them as 'rural' dung, to put it politely.

I can't understand this constant blagging of your elected councillors, Peter B in particular.
You said you ran a business with a multi million pound turnover.
Publish your accounts for expenses and let everyone know what an honest man you are.
Don't forget to mention bonuses and perks.
If you feel so strongly about the politics in Accy stand for election.
I have got a heath problem which is life threatening but I can still hold my corner.
If you are are concerned with the demise in Accrington...invest in a pie shop, smack bang in the centre and display your wares.
Hollands are on the up.......Long live progress.

bondi38 30-01-2009 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 674003)

You are right i have been to boundry mill once and that was enough the prices are outragouse but its like anything else they rely on coach parties going for a day out and they will just buy something because they have gone for a special day out even if its only a cup and saucer they should come to ossy mills much better bargains there.coach parties come every day cant get parked up unless i go at 9am so all you people who want a good day out come to ossy mills .
There thats my little say for the day as no one else seems to talk about it .

MargaretR 30-01-2009 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 674036)
You are right i have been to boundry mill once and that was enough the prices are outragouse but its like anything else they rely on coach parties going for a day out and they will just buy something because they have gone for a special day out even if its only a cup and saucer they should come to ossy mills much better bargains there.coach parties come every day cant get parked up unless i go at 9am so all you people who want a good day out come to ossy mills .
There thats my little say for the day as no one else seems to talk about it .

I only ever go there at saletime - some real bargains then - but the place is packed and the best stuff goes out the door on the 1st day of the sales.
The quality is good, so when their sale prices match the normal prices in other stores, then is the time to go.