Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

Ken Moss 05-10-2010 08:38

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

The vast majority of the refurb is fairly impressive, it's only really aspects of the flooring that are of any physical concern. There was a bone of contention over wi-fi and internet access although this has since been clarified as wired connections available to each stall. Oh, and the cleaning of the floors and windows and brasses has also been questioned.

That sounds pretty awful, I genuinely think it looks good for the most part!

cashman 05-10-2010 08:43

it does look ok, but was under the impression the main object of a market hall, was to attract punters, but fer other reasons than the work done, it sure dont seem to be doing so.:eek:

Ken Moss 05-10-2010 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 849932)
it does look ok, but was under the impression the main object of a market hall, was to attract punters, but fer other reasons than the work done, it sure dont seem to be doing so.:eek:

That's the management side of things and the decisions taken by Cabinet members.

Don't get me started on that again....

flashy 05-10-2010 08:50

Mossy, i reckon it's time to close this thread now, you're managing to make people defend PB with going on for so long about him

Neil 05-10-2010 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 849929)
...... I genuinely think it looks good for the most part!

Good, its nice to see you being positive about our market.
All these negative comments from people could actually be keeping people away who might have visited and spent money on the market.

cashman 05-10-2010 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 849941)
Good, its nice to see you being positive about our market.
All these negative comments from people could actually be keeping people away who might have visited and spent money on the market.

Doubt it very much neil, i call in 3/4 times a week n have heard some comments of the few that do go in. i dont spend as much as i used to in yon,

jaysay 05-10-2010 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 849945)
Doubt it very much neil, i call in 3/4 times a week n have heard some comments of the few that do go in. i dont spend as much as i used to in yon,

That's because you keep getting food delivered from Scotland:D

garinda 05-10-2010 10:50

Off there now.

Will see what the word on the ground floor is this week.

cashman 05-10-2010 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 849968)
Off there now.

Will see what the word on the ground floor is this week.

having just returned, ya will be swamped by women n music, summat goin on but none of em seem to shopping.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 05-10-2010 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 849941)

I doubt that too. I reckon most folk would visit out of curiosity....but I sincerely doubt they would return. It is a very poor excuse for a market hall, and I can see it becoming an empty market hall before too much longer. The shadow of Tesco looms large.

And didn't someone once say that there was no such thing as 'bad publicity' ?

Neil 05-10-2010 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 849986)
And didn't someone once say that there was no such thing as 'bad publicity' ?

Have you been upstairs for a coffee yet?

I wonder if garinda went upstairs for a coffee?

Margaret Pilkington 05-10-2010 13:44

No I haven't been upstairs for a coffee...and I have to admit that the recent rant by Coffeebeanz has put me off.

I want to be able to go into a market hall that is buzzing with activity.....not a dead space(which is what it feels like to me....perhaps i am on my own here, but I doubt it)....I really do not want to have some sort of entertainment thrust upon me.......especially when it detracts from the reason of the market hall....which is, after all, to sell produce. Bury Market Hall is excellent.... it has a very wide variety of stalls, competitive prices, and NO music......or entertainment/distractions from the prime aim of a visit...which is to shop( and perhaps have a cuppa).
If Bury Market can manage to do the business in five days, then why can't Accrington do the same?

I have said that when the new Tesco opens...which looking at the progress made recently, must be sometime soon, then the Market hall will get even less of a look in.
I feel genuinely sorry for the traders who are going to be forced to work their gonads off to try to make a living.

Ken Moss 05-10-2010 14:18

I've just had a very productive conversation with Cllr Marlene Haworth in which I have offered to give her written suggestions on how I personally would conduct a review of six-day trading, something that she welcomed with open arms.

I've made it quite clear that I don't agree with six-day trading but since we are going to get the trial regardless of jitters in the ranks the only real option is to try and make it as painless as possible for the stallholders.

garinda 05-10-2010 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 849996)
Have you been upstairs for a coffee yet?

I wonder if garinda went upstairs for a coffee?

No.

I said I was going to visit, when I wished them well on here, until I, along with others, was branded as 'pathetic'.

Instead I had a very nice pathetic lunch, and latte, in Over Coffee.

The food, and service, was first class, as it usually is.

In the Market Hall I bought my usual supplies.

Saw massive piles of flyers at the back of Marks & Spencer, advertising tomorrow's visit by the celebrity chef A. Dildo Silly.

Hope they find the way to the right recycling sack, afterwards.

I wonder how much they cost?

There were enough there to paper the flags in the Market Hall...were once there was stalls.

garinda 05-10-2010 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 850000)
No I haven't been upstairs for a coffee...and I have to admit that the recent rant by Coffeebeanz has put me off.

I want to be able to go into a market hall that is buzzing with activity.....not a dead space(which is what it feels like to me....perhaps i am on my own here, but I doubt it)....I really do not want to have some sort of entertainment thrust upon me.......especially when it detracts from the reason of the market hall....which is, after all, to sell produce. Bury Market Hall is excellent.... it has a very wide variety of stalls, competitive prices, and NO music......or entertainment/distractions from the prime aim of a visit...which is to shop( and perhaps have a cuppa).
If Bury Market can manage to do the business in five days, then why can't Accrington do the same?

I have said that when the new Tesco opens...which looking at the progress made recently, must be sometime soon, then the Market hall will get even less of a look in.
I feel genuinely sorry for the traders who are going to be forced to work their gonads off to try to make a living.

I agree with every word.

A lot of the people on here, who seem to think the enforced six day trading is nothing to worry about, I've never, ever seen shopping in there.

Odd that.