Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Conservative candidate named. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/conservative-candidate-named-52246.html)

garinda 17-03-2010 13:14

Re: Conservative candidate named.

...or even offer more practical help, like bussing in the blue rinse brigade from Clitheroe, to help with the campaign, as the local Conservative Association seem unwilling to help.

It's almost like they are praying for defeat, with the hope of some leverage when arguing that they're grown up enough to chose their own favourved candidate, in the event that there was a hung parliament...God forbid. As we really couldn't stand anymore giddy excitment, and clandestine derring-do.

:rolleyes:

Less 17-03-2010 13:26

Call it scaremongering if you wish, but I read on the back of a packet of cornflakes thrown out by my 2nd cousins best friend, (yes I always rummage through the local Conservatives bins, they throw away a far better standard of take-away), And, (hesitation and repetition in big letters to build up the tension), AND, it's reckoned that one of our far left mod/admins has put her name into a loop so that every-time she applies to join accyweb she gets thrown back to:-

:eek:

garinda 17-03-2010 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 798019)
Call it scaremongering if you wish, but I read on the back of a packet of cornflakes thrown out by my 2nd cousins best friend, (yes I always rummage through the local Conservatives bins, they throw away a far better standard of take-away), And, (hesitation and repetition in big letters to build up the tension), AND, it's reckoned that one of our far left mod/admins has put her name into a loop so that every-time she applies to join accyweb she gets thrown back to:-

:eek:

Blimey, no wonder she joined Accy Web. Their forum's hardly jumping, and perhaps backs up my claim that their schools aren't up to much, even the posh ones, if they have so little to say.

jaysay 17-03-2010 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 798015)
Nigel Evans MP said... I have every faith that Karen can now get Hyndburn back into the Tory fold.....bring it on!

ConservativeHome's Seats & Candidates blog: Karen Buckley selected for Hyndburn

Perhaps Taffy could offer her a few tips.

Thanks for the link Rindi, never laughed as much in my life:lol::lol::yelrotflm

Boeing Guy 17-03-2010 14:59

maybe she should let us know what she really stands for....
Maybe these will help.
YouTube - Party Political Broadcast (Choreographed) - Monty Python's Flying Circus - Rare

or YouTube - Rowan Atkinson - Conservative Conference

:D:D:D:D

Of course not to let the other side off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S19_CD1fGc

jaysay 17-03-2010 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 798016)
...or even offer more practical help, like bussing in the blue rinse brigade from Clitheroe, to help with the campaign, as the local Conservative Association seem unwilling to help.

It's almost like they are praying for defeat, with the hope of some leverage when arguing that they're grown up enough to chose their own favourved candidate, in the event that there was a hung parliament...God forbid. As we really couldn't stand anymore giddy excitment, and clandestine derring-do.

Praying for defeat, your joking, no need to pray:rolleyes:

garinda 17-03-2010 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 798033)

You're voting for Graham Jones then, and crossing your fingers for a hung parliament, in the hope your old favourite Neddy get's one last race?

garinda 17-03-2010 15:12

Blimey, there are so many Machiavellian plots, clandestine meetings, and behind the scene cloak and dagger stuff going on at the Hyndburn Conservative Association, that my poor li'l friend Moley will be working overtime, and there'll be so many tunnels dug under the streets of Hyndburn, that there's a chance the whole area might be swallowed up by a big hole in the ground.

Ken Moss 17-03-2010 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 798033)

From talking to people door-to-door it seems that only the hardline supporters are aware of the fiasco going on regarding the selection in Hyndburn, which is a remarkably small number.

The majority of people have picked a badge (for whatever reason) and are sticking with it. Trying to persuade people to see the person beyond the badge is the hard part and I'm afraid I don't believe anything is a foregone conclusion at this stage.

I fully support Graham and his campaign. He's born and bred in the area, got completely the right idea about Hyndburn and knows his public. He is the best man for the job and the Labour group has organised the canvassing in each ward far better and well in advance of the opposition but an awful lot of people still see Westminster and Hyndburn as the same thing when it comes to wearing a red badge.

Karen Buckley may have a tremendous disadvantage on the face of it having entered the race so late in the day but it would be arrogance to think that it will automatically sway the majority.

garinda 17-03-2010 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 798038)
From talking to people door-to-door it seems that only the hardline supporters are aware of the fiasco going on regarding the selection in Hyndburn, which is a remarkably small number.

The majority of people have picked a badge (for whatever reason) and are sticking with it. Trying to persuade people to see the person beyond the badge is the hard part and I'm afraid I don't believe anything is a foregone conclusion at this stage.

I fully support Graham and his campaign. He's born and bred in the area, got completely the right idea about Hyndburn and knows his public. He is the best man for the job and the Labour group has organised the canvassing in each ward far better and well in advance of the opposition but an awful lot of people still see Westminster and Hyndburn as the same thing when it comes to wearing a red badge.

Karen Buckley may have a tremendous disadvantage on the face of it having entered the race so late in the day but it would be arrogance to think that it will automatically sway the majority.

Although the local Conservative party seemed to have turned their collective back on her, for whatever medium-term reason (:rolleyes:), it's nice to see the opposition wishing her the best of British luck, and realising that nothing is ever 100% assured in politics, as in anything else.

jaysay 17-03-2010 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 798034)
You're voting for Graham Jones then, and crossing your fingers for a hung parliament, in the hope your old favourite Neddy get's one last race?

Voting for who, wash your mouth out with soapy water:D

jaysay 17-03-2010 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 798038)

If Jonesy doesn't win this one he wants to pack in politics a go and join a monastery, or maybe not:rolleyes:

garinda 17-03-2010 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 798044)
Voting for who, wash your mouth out with soapy water:D

It's good to see you still have some principles, even if you're banking on the Conservative candidate losing, and hoping for a hung parliament.

So you can brush off ol' Neddy, and have the chance to enter him for one last last race, in the Last Chance Saloon Derby.

;)

garinda 17-03-2010 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 798045)
If Jonesy doesn't win this one he wants to pack in politics a go and join a monastery, or maybe not:rolleyes:

Are you not in favour of losing candidates being given a second chance...or even a third?

:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Ken Moss 17-03-2010 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 798040)
Although the local Conservative party seemed to have turned their collective back on her, for whatever medium-term reason (:rolleyes:), it's nice to see the opposition wishing her the best of British luck, and realising that nothing is ever 100% assured in politics, as in anything else.

I do feel quite sorry for any candidate that doesn't have the backing of the local party purely because someone who has failed twice already has spat his dummy out at not being asked a third time. My view on aligning yourself with a group is that you abide by majority decisions, whether you fully agree or not.

My opponent in Rishton began canvassing last week and, although I understand he is a good choice for candidate, I can't say that he is going about things in quite the way I would have expected. There is no supportive wording from any of the party on his (rather cheap) flyer and he walked into the Working Men's Club proclaiming that the residents are 'a bit rough' after canvassing Spring Street. This did not go down well.

Looking at it from my vantage point, the Conservative campaign is poor in comparison with Labour's and there hasn't been a peep from the Tory councillors in Rishton in support of either candidate.

I am fortunate enough to not only have Graham Jones' image and contact details on my election literature but he has also been out canvassing with me in Rishton. The Conservative paper states the 'possibility' of a General Election at the same time as the locals, with no mention of Ms Buckley.

I have yet to see Peter Britcliffe even enter the Rishton boundary.