Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Conservative candidate named. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/conservative-candidate-named-52246.html)

jaysay 27-03-2010 14:47

Re: Conservative candidate named.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 800879)
Jaysay, I was rather hoping that your implication that I was a bare faced liar, was indeed one of your silly little games, and that hopefully you didn't mean it, because it sort of contradicts what you've said about my integrity in the past.

Guess I was wrong.

It appears there's more than one person capable of 'twisting' what's real, if you can have two such vastly opposing opinions about something, which in this case is my truthfulness.

Its not your truthfulness I have the problem with its like I've always said if it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck it usually is a duck, you keep talking the talk and walking the walk what else am I to assume

garinda 27-03-2010 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 800894)
Its not your truthfulness I have the problem with its like I've always said if it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck it usually is a duck, you keep talking the talk and walking the walk what else am I to assume

Well hopefully believe that I don't tell lies, and realise that when I say I honestly don't know how I'm going to vote in the forthcoming elections, you'd take it at face value, instead of implying publicly that I'm a liar.

I wouldn't waste my time posting things I didn't believe to be true, unlike some.

garinda 29-03-2010 23:00

My friend's sister, who lives in Rishton, says the whole place is buzzing, because it appears that Rishton is 'the chosen place', and where the Conservative candidate has moved to.

There's excited talk about the house prices in the area benefiting from the association. Though personally I think they're all getting a bit giddy, because of the fabulous news.

Talk of importing sand, and making a beach at the sailing club, and even building a pier there, with trendy cafés, I personally feel is a little premature.

Apparently the residence isn't too far from where the last Conservative candidate, poor James Mawdsley 'lived'.

Perhaps she's just taken over his lease, or perhaps there's just an empty house in Rishton, kept especially for election times, for any visitor from outside the area who decides to stand in the election, and who need a place to rest their weary head, after a hard day's campaining.

Of course all this giddy gossip in Riston might prove to be just rumour, and wishful thinking, because as far as I'm aware no one has actually seen Ms. Buckley putting out the milk bottles on her front step, or hanging out her washing on the line.

Watch this space.

cashman 29-03-2010 23:26

she's probably getting a second home, before the rules change.:D

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801668)
My friend's sister, who lives in Rishton, says the whole place is buzzing, because it appears that Rishton is 'the chosen place', and where the Conservative candidate has moved to.

There's excited talk about the house prices in the area benefiting from the association. Though personally I think they're all getting a bit giddy, because of the fabulous news.

Talk of importing sand, and making a beach at the sailing club, and even building a pier there, with trendy cafés, I personally feel is a little premature.

Apparently the residence isn't too far from where the last Conservative candidate, poor James Mawdsley 'lived'.

Perhaps she's just taken over his lease, or perhaps there's just an empty house in Rishton, kept especially for election times, for any visitor from outside the area who decides to stand in the election, and who need a place to rest their weary head, after a hard day's campaining.

Of course all this giddy gossip in Riston might prove to be just rumour, and wishful thinking, because as far as I'm aware no one has actually seen Ms. Buckley putting out the milk bottles on her front step, or hanging out her washing on the line.

Watch this space.

The village has come to life in a heady display of wilful exuberance, pockets are filled with coins and promisary notes as the shops sound the clarion call........OK, nobody knows about it.

We 'found out' a couple of days ago and, although nothing has actually been confirmed, it is understood that she is living in a rental property about 200 yards from my house. I don't have her alleged address or I'd pop round to wish her luck and I mean that sincerely as no one from her own party seems to be at all supportive.

claytonender 30-03-2010 07:12

Karen Buckley's website has now been updated and she now seems to fuly supported by the grandees of the local party.

garinda 30-03-2010 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 801688)
Karen Buckley's website has now been updated and she now seems to fuly supported by the grandees of the local party.

The lack of any mention, or support, in Peter Britcliffe's column in the Observer, was posted about and discussed on here just last week, and the next thing you know there's a photograph of the Leader and the candidate cuddling and smiling for the cameras.

Sweet.

:rolleyes:

Though I can't help thinking a more public show of political loyalty might have had more impact if it had been in the newspapers, rather than tucked away, in the candidate's ever growing gallery of snaps, on her website.

Accy Web says jump....

:D

Wynonie Harris 30-03-2010 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801668)

Rishton, eh?...right, Karen, next Monday early afternoon, Spoton service 6/7 - Rishton-Harwood-Clayton-Accy - ask the driver to put you off at the Oak Lea, come inside and ask for Wynonie or Cashy, I'll even treat you to a bag of chips from next door. Wrap up well though, it might be a bit nippy on the Clayton End...but you'll love it! :D

garinda 30-03-2010 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 801706)
Rishton, eh?...right, Karen, next Monday early afternoon, Spoton service 6/7 - Rishton-Harwood-Clayton-Accy - ask the driver to put you off at the Oak Lea, come inside and ask for Wynonie or Cashy, I'll even treat you to a bag of chips from next door. Wrap up well though, it might be a bit nippy on the Clayton End...but you'll love it! :D

What's the club shop's opening times?

Just in case she'd like to support the local team, by buying a Stanrington F.C. scarf, prior to the game.

jaysay 30-03-2010 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 801706)

Oh come Wyn she's probably a Man U fan:D

Wynonie Harris 30-03-2010 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801710)
What's the club shop's opening times?

Just in case she'd like to support the local team, by buying a Stanrington F.C. scarf, prior to the game.

I'm sure she'll be wearing a replica shirt and singing all the Ultras favourite songs before the afternoon's out!

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 10:19

For all the fluff about how the Conservative candidate should win from the Tory supporters, none of them seem to know an awful lot about her.

Has she actually been to any Hyndburn Conservative party meetings or been introduced to members en masse?

Wynonie Harris 30-03-2010 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 801718)
Oh come Wyn she's probably a Man U fan:D

Once she's had pie and chips, washed down by a few pints of smooth, the allure of prawn butties may be somewhat dimmed.

garinda 30-03-2010 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801726)
For all the fluff about how the Conservative candidate should win from the Tory supporters, none of them seem to know an awful lot about her.

Has she actually been to any Hyndburn Conservative party meetings or been introduced to members en masse?

I want to know more about her!

I've researched all the other candidates, months ago.

All I know about Ms. Buckley is what I've gleamed from what little there is on her website.

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801731)

All I know about Ms. Buckley is what I've gleamed from what little there is on her website.

I would hope we all want to know more about her but the Conservative faithful either know more than they're letting on or are simply backing the blue flag on blind faith.

Hand on heart, is that really the best way to choose who you're going to vote for?

andrewb 30-03-2010 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801731)

What would you like to know? :D

garinda 30-03-2010 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801735)
What would you like to know? :D

I'd rather hear what she thinks, directly from the organ grinder's mouth, as I don't speak Monkey.

andrewb 30-03-2010 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801750)
I'd rather hear what she thinks, directly from the organ grinder's mouth, as I don't speak Monkey.

I don't think she has a monkey, so you're in luck! :D

What was it you really wanted to know then? If there was something, that is.

garinda 30-03-2010 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801751)
I don't think she has a monkey, so you're in luck! :D

What was it you really wanted to know then? If there was something, that is.

Lots.

From her thoughts on the war on terror, to what she thinks about civil partnerships, and if she'd support moves for total equlaity, and for same sex couples to be able to be married in church, if they so wish.

They're just two, of hundreds I have.

Though I guess I'll just have to wait until she's on my doorstep, before I quiz her further.

andrewb 30-03-2010 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801753)
Lots.

From her thoughts on the war on terror, to what she thinks about civil partnerships, and if she'd support moves for total equlaity, and for same sex couples to be able to be married in church, if they so wish.

They're just two, of hundreds I have.

Though I guess I'll just have to wait until she's on my doorstep, before I quiz her further.

They sound like good questions. I retract my "If there is something". You're obviously very interested in finding out. Her number is on Karen Buckley - Conservative PPC for Hyndburn, just at the top under the main header, let us know how you get on.

Less 30-03-2010 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801756)
They sound like good questions. I retract my "If there is something". You're obviously very interested in finding out. Her number is on Karen Buckley - Conservative PPC for Hyndburn, just at the top under the main header, let us know how you get on.

Excuse me?

This won't do at all, it's a situation where, 'the mountain should come to Mohammed', she wants the job, rindy is prepared to interview her for it.

Get her off her backside and out amongst the people she claims she wants to wholeheartedly represent.

:mad:

garinda 30-03-2010 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 801761)
Excuse me?

This won't do at all, it's a situation where, 'the mountain should come to Mohammed', she wants the job, rindy is prepared to interview her for it.

Get her off her backside and out amongst the people she claims she wants to wholeheartedly represent.

Very true.

Unfortunately I never got to ask the last Conservative candidate my questions face to face, but had to email poor James Mawdsley, because he never came a knockin'.

You can't beat meeting someone face to face, to help further judge their sincerity.

I'll give this candidate a little longer, before having to settle for finding out answers to my questions, in a less personal way.

garinda 30-03-2010 12:14

Though as I did with James Mawdsley, who lied on his election pamphlets, I'm willing to share my answers by posting the replies on Accy Web.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ate-10446.html

andrewb 30-03-2010 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 801761)
Excuse me?

I'm sure she will. Was just pointing out how Garinda could contact her if he wanted the questions answered right now.

Less 30-03-2010 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801770)
I'm sure she will. Was just pointing out how Garinda could contact her if he wanted the questions answered right now.

It must be reassuring for him to get advice from our local, 'Political Expert', however would he have managed without the input from a guy spending a couple of gap years away from serving behind the counter at Macdonalds?
:)

garinda 30-03-2010 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801770)

As stated, as I had to resort to other ways of communicating at the last General Election, rather than asking the Conservative candidate my questions face to face, I'm quite aware that there are other, less personal mediums available to us, the electorate.

I'm just hoping it doesn't come to this again.

I remain hopeful of hearing a genteel tap on my knocker, in the very near future.

garinda 30-03-2010 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 801772)
It must be reassuring for him to get advice from our local, 'Political Expert', however would he have managed without the input from a guy spending a couple of gap years away from serving behind the counter at Macdonalds?

It must be exciting.

I can't recall that particular member being very vocal, or as helpful in doling out advice, at the last General Election.

Perhaps they were to busy kickin' a ball about, in the playground.

andrewb 30-03-2010 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801773)
As stated, as I had to resort to other ways of communicating at the last General Election, rather than asking the Conservative candidate my questions face to face, I'm quite aware that there are other, less personal mediums available to us, the electorate.

I'm just hoping it doesn't come to this again.

I remain hopeful of hearing a genteel tap on my knocker, in the very near future.

My house didn't get a knock from any of the candidates, or their teams, last time. More than often candidates go with teams canvassing and therefore it's not always the candidate who knocks on your particular door.

Less, I clearly missed a trick. I could have been working there and earning a degree at the same time. :D McDonald’s A level in running a burger bar - Times Online

garinda 30-03-2010 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801777)
I didn't get a knock from any of the candidates, or their teams, last time. More than often candidates go with teams canvassing and therefore it's not always the candidate who knocks on your particular door.

Less, I clearly missed a trick. I could have been working there and earning a degree at the same time. :D McDonald’s A level in running a burger bar - Times Online

I was fortunate then, to speak to all the other main candidates, other than the Conservative candidate, and ask my questions face to face, at the last General Election.

Perhaps you personally didn't get this chance, because at the last General Election your age meant you were ineligible to vote, so it wasn' worth their while knocking on your door to speak to you personally.

andrewb 30-03-2010 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801781)
I was fortunate then, to speak to all the other main candidates, other than the Conservative candidate, and ask my questions face to face, at the last General Election.

Perhaps you personally didn't get this chance, because at the last General Election your age meant you were ineligible to vote, so it wasn' worth their while knocking on your door to speak to you personally.

I didn't live by myself Garinda. :rolleyes:

garinda 30-03-2010 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801783)
I didn't live by myself Garinda. :rolleyes:

Yes but you'll find when most politicans are out canvassing, and a child opens the door, they'll usually ask if their mummy or daady is in, so they can try and secure the vote of those people who are actually eligible to go to the polling station on election day.

Less 30-03-2010 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801777)

Probably about as much use as these NVQ'S on fire extinguisher spotting that folk are being encouraged to do.

I've helped a few people on a variety of those courses and they and I can tell you the different types of fire extinguishers there are, but none of us seemed to learn anything useful, (that's not saying fire extinguishers aren't useful), about their particular jobs!

Besides asking if someone wants, "Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),
dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric
acid and dimethypolysiloxane)", with that?" Instead of fries,
just because you can, isn't clever.

andrewb 30-03-2010 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801784)
Yes but you'll find when most politicans are out canvassing, and a child opens the door, they'll usually ask if their mummy or daady is in, so they can try and secure the vote of those people who are actually eligible to go to the polling station on election day.

Which has what to do with the price of fish? :rolleyes:

andrewb 30-03-2010 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 801786)
Probably about as much use as these NVQ'S on fire extinguisher spotting that folk are being encouraged to do.

I've helped a few people on a variety of those courses and they and I can tell you the different types of fire extinguishers there are, but none of us seemed to learn anything useful, (that's not saying fire extinguishers aren't useful), about their particular jobs!

Besides asking if someone wants, "Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),
dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric
acid and dimethypolysiloxane)", with that?" Instead of fries,
just because you can isn't clever.

Can make damn good fries though. ;) :D

garinda 30-03-2010 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801787)
Which has what to do with the price of fish? :rolleyes:

Just explaining why perhaps you personally didn't see any candidate at the last election, besides your ineligibily...you might have been playing out when they called, or tucked up in bed at the time.

Less 30-03-2010 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801788)
Can make damn good fries though. ;) :D

You probably can, so stick to what you know.

andrewb 30-03-2010 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801789)
Just explaining why perhaps you personally didn't see any candidate at the last election, besides your ineligibily...you might have been playing out when they called, or tucked up in bed at the time.

You needn't have bothered trying to explain. The explanation is very simple; there wasn't a knock from any of the candidates. That or everyone was out, and they failed to leave a calling card or come back.

garinda 30-03-2010 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801797)
You needn't have bothered trying to explain. The explanation is very simple; there wasn't a knock from any of the candidates. That or everyone was out, and they failed to leave a calling card or come back.

Perhaps the responsible adult at your home foolishly threw away any political literature that was posted through your door, along with pizza and Indian takeaway menus etc.

I remember someone once posting on here that they'd never had any literature regarding even the local elections, and therefore had no idea who her council candidates were, leaving them dreadfully confused, because they didn't know how to find out, until I helpfully gave advice about how to find out this important information.

garinda 30-03-2010 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801797)

Or perhaps you were all upstairs, listening to nursery rhymes too loudly on a casette recorder, and couldn't hear them banging away.

It might be the case that your's was the only house in Hyndburn not to be disturbed by canvasers, or campaigners posting election pamphlets through your door, and for some reason you're on a blacklist.

I had a couple of friends, one banged up for murder, and the other who thought he was a bird, who were similarly undisturbed at the last General Election.

andrewb 30-03-2010 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801804)
Perhaps the responsible adult at your home foolishly threw away any political literature that was posted through your door, along with pizza and Indian takeaway menus etc.

I remember someone once posting on here that they'd never had any literature regarding even the local elections, and therefore had no idea who her council candidates were, leaving them dreadfully confused, because they didn't know how to find out, until I helpfully gave advice about how to find out this important information.

Perhaps you would bother to find out personal circumstances before ploughing head first and making links into something you know nothing about. Not that it has a place on these forums. :rolleyes:

I think I'm best suited to know what happens in my own home, without needing you to pass judgment trying to explain what might of 'actually' happened. :rolleyes:

garinda 30-03-2010 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801807)
Perhaps you would bother to find out personal circumstances before ploughing head first and making links into something you know nothing about. Not that it has a place on these forums. :rolleyes:

I think I'm best suited to know what happens in my own home, without needing you to pass judgment trying to explain what might of 'actually' happened. :rolleyes:

Like everyone else on Accy Web, I arrive at my conclusions, gained from information helpfully supplied by other members, as evidence of whatever circumstances they might like to share with us.

;)

However, back to the thread's subject...

I eagerly await the chance to ask the Conservative candidate, Karen Buckley, a member of a church which apparently thinks homosexuality is something to be, and can be,'cured' by exorcism, whether or not she supported the the repeal of Sextion 28, the most homophobic piece of legislation of the twentieth century, introduced by the Tories in 1988.

I'd also like to know if she supports, and would have voted for the introduction of Civil Partnerships, and would she support further change towards total equality, and that every citizen should have the right to be legally married, in a church if they so wish, irrespective of gender.

I await my questions being answered, face to face, in hopeful anticipation.

garinda 30-03-2010 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801807)

...or as stated earlier, perhaps you were playing out at the time, and no one bothered to tell you when you came home for your bedtime story, thinking it was of no interest, or concern of your's, because of your ineligibility to vote.

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801765)
Very true.

Unfortunately I never got to ask the last Conservative candidate my questions face to face, but had to email poor James Mawdsley, because he never came a knockin'.

You can't beat meeting someone face to face, to help further judge their sincerity.

I'll give this candidate a little longer, before having to settle for finding out answers to my questions, in a less personal way.

Yes, but bear in mind that canvassing 8 weeks before an election is a waste of time and energy.....so I'm told.

garinda 30-03-2010 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801863)
Yes, but bear in mind that canvassing 8 weeks before an election is a waste of time and energy.....so I'm told.

Perhaps some candidates are planning to speak to us all the night before the election.

So we won't forget who says what.

Eric 30-03-2010 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801818)
Like everyone else on Accy Web, I arrive at my conclusions, gained from information helpfully supplied by other members, as evidence of whatever circumstances they might like to share with us.

;)

However, back to the thread's subject...

I eagerly await the chance to ask the Conservative candidate, Karen Buckley, a member of a church which apparently thinks homosexuality is something to be, and can be,'cured' by exorcism, whether or not she supported the the repeal of Sextion 28, the most homophobic piece of legislation of the twentieth century, introduced by the Tories in 1988.

I'd also like to know if she supports, and would have voted for the introduction of Civil Partnerships, and would she support further change towards total equality, and that every citizen should have the right to be legally married, in a church if they so wish, irrespective of gender.

I await my questions being answered, face to face, in hopeful anticipation.

Now that you have got the debate back on subject, excuse me if I take it off track again: I am more than a little surprised that, in the United Kingdom, gays do not have the right to be legally married (tho' who would want to, I don't know:D), and aquire all the legal and financial benefits that other married couples have.

garinda 30-03-2010 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 801896)
Now that you have got the debate back on subject, excuse me if I take it off track again: I am more than a little surprised that, in the United Kingdom, gays do not have the right to be legally married (tho' who would want to, I don't know:D), and aquire all the legal and financial benefits that other married couples have.

Like yourself, I remain happily unentagled, but that is a choice open to me.

You're correct, same sex partners can't legally marry in the UK.

The government did bring in the Civil Partnership Act, in 2004, which does give many of the same rights that civil union affords, except it can't be called a marriage.

So although a same sex couple might have been happily together for years, and might be both deeply religious, they can't legally be married.

'The Civil Partnership Act states that it will not allow any form of religious activity to occur during the process of registering the union. The act does not include a ceremony.'
Civil Partnership guide for gay and lesbian couples in the UK - CivilPartnershipInfo.co.uk

In an age of supposed equality, this unfair legal anomaly needs addressing.

The choice of what form a relationship officially takes, should be a choice that's available to all, regardless of gender.

I look forward to hearing the thoughts on this matter, of a candidate who is a member of a church which apparently 'cures' homosexuality via exorcisms.

andrewb 30-03-2010 22:43

I don't think we should force religions to do things, but I think that anybody should be able to get married in the eyes of the state.

garinda 30-03-2010 23:11

If people wish to cement their relationship by marriage, they should be afforded that choice, regardless of anything else.

What religions preach and practice, should be subject to the same laws governing every other body in the country.

Some faiths have their own laws, which can result in executions, maiming, amputations, and stonings, for those guilty of crimes against religion. In a civilised democracy these religious freedoms of expression are rightfully made illegal, by the laws that govern us as a whole.

Another question I'd like to ask Ms. Buckley, when she hopefully calls, is if she'd already been the M.P. for Hyndburn, given a free vote, would she have voted in favour of an equal age of consent? Which after years of injustice, when 21 and 20 year olds in a consensual relationship, were imprisoned because they happpened to be of the same gender, and which thankfully this government has now legislated against, and gender parity now exists in law.

There's so much I can't wait to ask, I'll have to keep a little list by the front door.

Being so keen on 'family values', her thought on repealing Section 28, and how she would have voted on that, might be worth yet another question.

If, and when...

Eric 30-03-2010 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801952)
I don't think we should force religions to do things, but I think that anybody should be able to get married in the eyes of the state.

I agree. And this is the essence of Canada Bill C-38.

garinda 30-03-2010 23:41

I'd like to thank this thread, for making me think of exactly what questions I'm going to ask the Conservative candidate, and hopefully illicit some answers, which I'll kindly share on here, just in case not everyone's so lucky.

It's a good idea to be prepared, given there's so little time left, at least compared to the time I've had to grill and question the other prospective candidates.

shillelagh 01-04-2010 23:32

this weeks accy observer has an interesting leaflet inside .. one from Karen Buckley .. though there isnt one in the Rossendale Free Press ..

garinda 02-04-2010 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 802543)
this weeks accy observer has an interesting leaflet inside .. one from Karen Buckley .. though there isnt one in the Rossendale Free Press ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802506)
Well even though Ms. Buckley's appeal thermometer is still sat at zero, some kind body has funded a flyer for her, in every copy of this weekend's Observer.

Sadly, for those wanting more information, it's just a facsimile of what's already on her website.

Great Aunt Fanny worked down t'local jam butty mines, and lots about Family Values, blah, blah, blah...

Must have cost a pretty penny to do though. So things can't be that bad.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/n...reply&p=802506

jaysay 02-04-2010 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 802543)

Rossendale Free Press won't put a leaflet in with only two wards being in the Hyndburn constituency, I know I asked them 10 years ago Jen:D

garinda 02-04-2010 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 802603)
Rossendale Free Press won't put a leaflet in with only two wards being in the Hyndburn constituency, I know I asked them 10 years ago Jen:D

They'll do anything you want if you pay them.

Which Ms. Buckley will have done, to have her flyer distributed in the newspaper.

;)

Gayle 02-04-2010 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802610)

Which Ms. Buckley will have done, to have her flyer distributed in the newspaper.

;)

Not quite. They won't sort it so that the leaflet is only in the papers in the two relevant wards. Yes, you can have a leaflet in and it costs (a lot) but it's all or nothing.

jaysay 02-04-2010 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802610)

;)

Its a bit pointless Garinda when your only covering two wards, the cost is inhibiting believe me I've check

jaysay 02-04-2010 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 802707)
Not quite. They won't sort it so that the leaflet is only in the papers in the two relevant wards. Yes, you can have a leaflet in and it costs (a lot) but it's all or nothing.

I should have read your post before replying to Garinda, Gayle:D

garinda 02-04-2010 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 802726)
Its a bit pointless Garinda when your only covering two wards, the cost is inhibiting believe me I've check

I was referring to Ms. Buckley's flyer, and the fact she'd have paid to have it inserted.

I'm quite aware that it wouldn't be economically viable, even if it was possible, which I doubt, to target particular council wards, rather than a whole constituency.

;)

jaysay 03-04-2010 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802771)
I was referring to Ms. Buckley's flyer, and the fact she'd have paid to have it inserted.

I'm quite aware that it wouldn't be economically viable, even if it was possible, which I doubt, to target particular council wards, rather than a whole constituency.

;)

Its only applicable to the 2 Haslingden wards Garinda covered by the Free Press, Hyndburn is okay with the Observer, but to be quite honest inserts in papers is a very costly way of comunicacion

garinda 03-04-2010 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 802867)
Its only applicable to the 2 Haslingden wards Garinda covered by the Free Press, Hyndburn is okay with the Observer, but to be quite honest inserts in papers is a very costly way of comunicacion

Er...I was only referring to Ms. Buckley's flyer, and that it would have been done at some cost.

I made no mention of the same thing being done for wards, when it came to council elections.

Personally, even if it was possible, to deliver newspapers with flyers, to each newsagent/shop in a particular ward, it wouldn't reach many of the relevant electorate. Those newagents in a ward, if they deliver, cover areas greater than any one ward. Plus many people pick up a newspaper whilst out shopping in areas outside their ward's boundary.

Therefore, rather a daft, costly idea, in my opinion.

Less 03-04-2010 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 802867)
but to be quite honest inserts in papers is a very costly way of comunicacion

Which just goes to show that even though the begging bowl has yet to have one contribution in it, (as indicated by the thermometer), She or one of her aides is quite prepared to spend money they don't have on an item that isn't a very practical way of reaching constituents.
:confused::cool:

Oooh look, rindy seems to agree with me.:)

garinda 03-04-2010 09:43

Personally I'd be making friends with all the Indian/Chinese/ Pizza takeaway proprietors...and getting them to deliver flyers with the thousands of menus that land on our door mats every single day.

garinda 03-04-2010 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 802870)
Which just goes to show that even though the begging bowl has yet to have one contribution in it, (as indicated by the thermometer), She or one of her aides is quite prepared to spend money they don't have on an item that isn't a very practical way of reaching constituents.

Perhaps she's a member of the Viv Nicholson school of economics.

Spend, spend, spend, and to Hell with the consequences.

I still think it's all a little odd.

The day the imposed list of six candidates was announced, a 'Karen Buckley' joined the forum, and was reading the thread about the imposed list.

(If I hadn't seen her reading the thread, we wouldn't know she's a member of Accy Web. As not having posted, she doesn't merit inclusion on the members list.)

If she bothered to join then, why has she not since made use of this forum, to get her mesage out to the electorate?

With apparently so little support, both personally and financially, from the local Conservative Association, it seems strange she has so far chosen not to make use of this free medium....Accy Web.

jaysay 03-04-2010 09:54

Quote:

Is that a first;)

Less 03-04-2010 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802875)

it seems strange she has so far chosen not to make use of this free medium....Accy Web.

Excuse me? You've seen the width of Roy, shouldn't that read, 'this free extra large'.

garinda 03-04-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 802877)
Excuse me? You've seen the width of Roy, shouldn't that read, 'this free extra large'.

'Free' at the point of service.

I'm sure when her thermometer rises above zero, she'd be very willing to share the wealth, and make a large, or even XL, donation.

Less 03-04-2010 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802880)
'Free' at the point of service.

I'm sure when her thermometer rises above zero, she'd be very willing to share the wealth, and make a large, or even XL, donation.

Well in that case, I'm off to get ready for a Railway celebration, knowing that Roy is the sort of guy that will want to share his newly acquired potential wealth even before he has got it, (that lad has the makings of a really good Tory).

Oh No He Hasn't, sharing isn't a word in their vocabulary!
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s12274.gif

andrewb 03-04-2010 11:09

Quote:

There is much fuss being made of the thermometer. It only shows money donated specifically through that website. The vast majority of candidates donations come from offline.

cashman 03-04-2010 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802905)
There is much fuss being made of the thermometer. It only shows money donated specifically through that website. The vast majority of candidates donations come from offline.

Wonder how many donations have come offline from her new constituents?:D

g jones 03-04-2010 12:54

Karen's helpers tried to put a big banner up on Daltons Printers. Needless to say Daltons will not be supporting the Conservative Candidate as the answer was no.

Wynonie Harris 03-04-2010 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 802924)
Karen's helpers tried to put a big banner up on Daltons Printers. Needless to say Daltons will not be supporting the Conservative Candidate as the answer was no.

She's got helpers? As an outsider to this contest (before Jaysay reminds me ;) ), I would've thought she'd be better getting out and about, making her views known to the public. Has anybody had sight of her yet?

katex 03-04-2010 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 802924)

:rofl38:Can't make me mind up whether that is cheeky, enterprising or just plain dumb!

Less 03-04-2010 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802905)

:bangh8:

Do you never get sick of banging your head against a brick wall?
No matter what you see, no matter how it's put, you think you can dash forward with a positive result.

Well, no, there is nothing positive about telling us she has a secret supply of cash, that we mere voters don't know about.
If she is strapped for cash, tell us, if she has secret backers that don't want to appear on her thermometer well no, you can't tell us, but we do want to know how and who's money she can so confidently waste on fliers in newspapers.

WE are the one's that will decide, not the moneymen, let's see this vision that will cure our woes either on site or in person around town.

andrew I think you are the worst advert for the Conservative Party, stop ruining her chances & shut up.

cashman 03-04-2010 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 802947)

No matter what you see, no matter how it's put, you think you can dash forward with a positive result.

andrew I think you are the worst advert for the Conservative Party, stop ruining her chances & shut up.

n i thought only me thought that.:)

garinda 03-04-2010 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 802976)

I just presumed it was subterfuge campaiging, funded by one of the unions.

garinda 03-04-2010 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 802976)

I just presumed it was subterfuge campaigning, funded by one of the unions.

andrewb 03-04-2010 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 802947)

Well, no, there is nothing positive about telling us she has a secret supply of cash, that we mere voters don't know about.
If she is strapped for cash, tell us, if she has secret backers that don't want to appear on her thermometer well no, you can't tell us, but we do want to know how and who's money she can so confidently waste on fliers in newspapers.

WE are the one's that will decide, not the moneymen, let's see this vision that will cure our woes either on site or in person around town.

Since when did I start doing to what you tell me to do? :D

Less 03-04-2010 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803053)
Since when did I start doing to what you tell me to do? :D

Never, but, if we are going to sort a few thing's out, when did you ever let sense get in the way of you distorting your parties line?

andrewb 03-04-2010 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 803057)
Never, but, if we are going to sort a few thing's out, when did you ever let sense get in the way of you distorting your parties line?

From experience I know the majority of funding comes from offline donations, rather than someone logging in with a credit card. It's hardly following the party line to inform you of that. I'd hazard a guess that it's the same for the Labour Party.

Chill. :cool:

cashman 03-04-2010 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803060)
From experience I know the majority of funding comes from offline donations, rather than someone logging in with a credit card. It's hardly following the party line to inform you of that. I'd hazard a guess that it's the same for the Labour Party.

From experience ya aint answered my question about how many of her new constituents have donated.:D

andrewb 03-04-2010 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 803062)
From experience ya aint answered my question about how many of her new constituents have donated.:D

I was speaking generally. I don't know who has donated to her campaign! :D

claytonender 03-04-2010 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803060)

Andrew - in case you didn't know, Graham is not asking for any donations for his campaign on his blogsite.

Maybe you would do better to study the fundraising habits of your own party, rather than trying to hazard guesses about what Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party are doing.

And before you tell me to chill, I am very chilled today thank you.

andrewb 03-04-2010 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 803065)
Andrew - in case you didn't know, Graham is not asking for any donations for his campaign on his blogsite.

I did know. That's why I hazarded a guess that the Labour Party also got the majority of funding offline. Was a bit more than a guess really. :D;)

cashman 03-04-2010 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803064)
I was speaking generally. I don't know who has donated to her campaign! :D

I know ya were speaking generally, I also knew ya daren't hazard a guess.:D fuuny how ya hazard em about Labour aint it. ? PMSL

andrewb 03-04-2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 803070)
I know ya were speaking generally, I also knew ya daren't hazard a guess.:D

Don't want to speculate.. but I have seen some campaigners wearing these t-shirts. :D

http://images3.cafepress.com/product...olor-White.jpg

cashman 03-04-2010 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803071)
Don't want to speculate.. but I have seen some campaigners wearing these t-shirts. :D

Hardly surprising is it, knowing How Together the tories are.:D

Less 03-04-2010 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 803062)

Cashy, have you not noticed yet, if he hasn't got an answer and he hasn't the whit to make one up on the spare of the moment, he ignores the question.

I've asked him many a pertinent question in many a thread, rather than bullshine and make it up his preference is to pretend the question wasn't asked, yes I have seen him use the same technique on you and many others as well, typical would be politician, when his technique improves he will move on to answering your question by asking another question that has no relevance to what was asked in the first place, there lies power of non speech.

Less 03-04-2010 16:45

Quote:

It's Easter, they are just back from Blackpool wearing their I love Pleasure Beach T'shirts.

Fool.

andrewb 03-04-2010 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 803076)
Cashy, have you not noticed yet, if he hasn't got an answer and he hasn't the whit to make one up on the spare of the moment, he ignores the question.

I've asked him many a pertinent question in many a thread, rather than bullshine and make it up his preference is to pretend the question wasn't asked, yes I have seen him use the same technique on you and many others as well, typical would be politician, when his technique improves he will move on to answering your question by asking another question that has no relevance to what was asked in the first place, there lies power of non speech.

Where? I generally don't ignore many posts, just sometimes I read them on my phone and forget to reply later. :D

g jones 03-04-2010 19:07

Andrew, you never answer a question. I asked you 20 times what is the best thing this 10 year Tory Coincil has achieved? Labours in the previous 10 was probably building the Globe Centre

andrewb 03-04-2010 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 803101)
Andrew, you never answer a question. I asked you 20 times what is the best thing this 10 year Tory Coincil has achieved? Labours in the previous 10 was probably building the Globe Centre

Keeping council tax increases half that of the national average over the last 10 years is a major plus that has helped a lot of people. Maintaining healthy reserves and fixing a huge black hole in the budget is another.

In recent times I think the Arts Centre sounds like a fantastic project.

claytonender 03-04-2010 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803105)
Keeping council tax increases half that of the national average over the last 10 years is a major plus that has helped a lot of people. Maintaining healthy reserves and fixing a huge black hole in the budget is another.

In recent times I think the Arts Centre sounds like a fantastic project.

But it was the Tories who created the black hole in the first place and Labour had to take emergency action in 2002 to make sure HBC could carry on.

Despite Tory lies to the contrary Labour did not create the black hole - they were told about it after the elections in May 2002, when they took control of the council.

Only time will tell if the Arts Centre proves to be fantastic, and before you complain about bias - I think the regeneration plans for the Civic Theatre are very good.

Less 03-04-2010 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803079)
Where? I generally don't ignore many posts, just sometimes I read them on my phone and forget to reply later. :D

Everywhere, if the questions get tough, you just get thread amnesia and find a tangent to go off on.

lancsdave 03-04-2010 21:06

Quote:

Can I just point out that it looks odd, the heart should be the same size as the lettering, poor design ;)

andrewb 03-04-2010 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 803120)
Can I just point out that it looks odd, the heart should be the same size as the lettering, poor design ;)

Can't get the staff for these cafepress sites anymore. That's the problem when just anyone can sign up to design stuff. :D

lancsdave 03-04-2010 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803123)
Can't get the staff for these cafepress sites anymore. That's the problem when just anyone can sign up to design stuff. :D

Cafepress ? You mean he's printing his own t-shirts now ? :D

( yes I do know what you mean ;) )

Less 03-04-2010 21:24

Quote:

Can I just ask a couple of questions?

I don't expect you personally to answer, but if you could spare the time it would make a nice Change.

1. Where did you see these Campaigners?
  2. When did you see these Campaigners?
  3. Were these Campaigners carrying Labour leaflets?
  4. Does Ms Buckley really exist?
Question 3. is the most important because I think PB is doing more good for Labour than he is for his own party so far as campaigning is concerned.

:o

andrewb 03-04-2010 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 803126)
Can I just ask a couple of questions?

I don't expect you personally to answer, but if you could spare the time it would make a nice Change.

1. Where did you see these Campaigners?
  2. When did you see these Campaigners?
  3. Were these Campaigners carrying Labour leaflets?
  4. Does Ms Buckley really exist?
Question 3. is the most important because I think PB is doing more good for Labour than he is for his own party so far as campaigning is concerned.

:o

Oh I see! So when you say I don't answer questions.. what you really mean is.. I don't answer silly questions? :D

Less 03-04-2010 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 803128)
Oh I see! So when you say I don't answer questions.. what you really mean is.. I don't answer silly questions? :D

Nope, I mean you don't answer questions you don't like, because they may prove you wrong, you ignore anything awkward and as the above shows you have that political way of answering questions with questions.

:cool:

andrewb 03-04-2010 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 803129)
Nope, I mean you don't answer questions you don't like, because they may prove you wrong, you ignore anything awkward and as the above shows you have that political way of answering questions with questions.

:cool:

so you ask me a load of silly questions, and then I'm answering them 'politically' because I am not going to sit answering silly questions for your benefit all day? Haha :D Damned if I do, damned if I don't! :D