Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hanging (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hanging-60261.html)

claytonx 28-12-2011 17:46

Hanging

Do you think murders would be reduced if the threat of hanging was brought back. I remember life in prison was voted for instead which does not happen.

cashman 28-12-2011 17:53

Re: Hanging

To be honest i reckon if Life was to mean Life it may have more effect? personally i have nowt against topping em.

jaysay 28-12-2011 17:59

Well it will never be brought back claytonx, it wouldn't be so bad if murderer WERE sent down for life, I can never understand any judge saying I sentence you to life in prison and you'll serve a minimum of, say, 15 years, utter nonsense, say what you like about the American justice system, they do make the punishment fit the crime, pity we done follow suit here

claytonx 28-12-2011 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 958769)
Well it will never be brought back claytonx, it wouldn't be so bad if murderer WERE sent down for life, I can never understand any judge saying I sentence you to life in prison and you'll serve a minimum of, say, 15 years, utter nonsense, say what you like about the American justice system, they do make the punishment fit the crime, pity we done follow suit here

You are right we are more concerned with over crowding and costs, possibly if they made them more like a prison than holiday camp we would not have as many small time crooks going back, and more room to make life as you said Life.

Michael1954 28-12-2011 18:16

And if Stefan Ivan Kiszko had been given the death penalty, what would you have said to his poor mother when he was finally cleared of Lesley Molseed's murder?

DaveinGermany 28-12-2011 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 958773)
And if Stefan Ivan Kiszko had been given the death penalty, what would you have said to his poor mother when he was finally cleared of Lesley Molseed's murder?

Quicker response than normal from the opposition. My personal views & reasoning on the subject are well documented elsewhere on the site on similar threads.

jaysay 28-12-2011 18:30

Quote:

Ya but what cleared him, DNA the same thing that is putting murderers behind bars today, I can't see the rhyme or reason for keeping the likes of Huntley behind bars living the life of Riley, 3 square a day, Sky TV Game Boy, stereo, and that's supposed to be punishment:mad:

claytonx 28-12-2011 18:37

Quote:

I only said threat: Plenty of appeals no doubt.

Michael1954 28-12-2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 958781)
Ya but what cleared him, DNA the same thing that is putting murderers behind bars today, I can't see the rhyme or reason for keeping the likes of Huntley behind bars living the life of Riley, 3 square a day, Sky TV Game Boy, stereo, and that's supposed to be punishment:mad:

Yes, but if he had been given the death penalty he would have been hanged long before he was cleared.

Neil 28-12-2011 18:49

Quote:

Oops :rolleyes:

cashman 28-12-2011 18:55

Quote:

Very poor arguement D.N.A. was NOT available when the guy was sent down.:rolleyes: if produced now before sentence - different altogether.

Eric 28-12-2011 19:00

Quote:

Somehow, I don't think "sorry, s..t happens" would cut it.:rolleyes: Here's a few more:
Canada's wrongful convictions - Canada - CBC News

And to those, like Jaysay, who admire the American justice system: why don't capital punishment and heavy jail sentences seem to be working:confused: If they did work, the US wouldn't be the crime capital of the "civilized" world.

cashman 28-12-2011 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 958791)
Somehow, I don't think "sorry, s..t happens" would cut it.:rolleyes: Here's a few more:
Canada's wrongful convictions - Canada - CBC News

And to those, like Jaysay, who admire the American justice system: why don't capital punishment and heavy jail sentences seem to be working:confused: If they did work, the US wouldn't be the crime capital of the "civilized" world.

Not too sure about that Eric,:confused: the fact yeh can buy guns like we buy sweets must contribute i reckon?:confused:

Eric 28-12-2011 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 958759)
Do you think murders would be reduced if the threat of hanging was brought back. I remember life in prison was voted for instead which does not happen.

Answer: No.

But you guys must have some form of "real" life in prison. I know we do. The biggest punishment for first degree murder is 25 years before they have a chance to apply for parole. This, of course, doesn't mean they get out of jail after 25 yrs. The parole board can deny parole indefinitely. That seems to equal life to me. ... or at least the possibility of it. And you must have some form of "dangerous offender" status. This means the guy doesn't get out: period.

Eric 28-12-2011 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 958792)
Not too sure about that Eric,:confused: the fact yeh can buy guns like we buy sweets must contribute i reckon?:confused:

Canadians have guns .... lots of them ... I have six. But we don't generally drive around shooting other Canadians. If I felt like it, and had the cash to waste, I could go to the local gun store and buy as many guns as I wanted. All I need is my Firearms Aquisition Certificate. Hand guns and assault rifles, no. But it doesn't take much to cut down a shotgun, or to mickey mouse a semi-automatic so that it fires on full. The difference between the murder rates in Canada and the US can't be explained merely by citing the easier acces to firearms in the US. Detroit, just across the border from Windsor, ON, has more murders than the whole of Canada. Windsor's murder rate is around zero.