Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2011, 17:46   #1
Rest in Peace

Hanging

Do you think murders would be reduced if the threat of hanging was brought back. I remember life in prison was voted for instead which does not happen.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2011, 17:53   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hanging

To be honest i reckon if Life was to mean Life it may have more effect? personally i have nowt against topping em.
Old 28-12-2011, 17:59   #3
Resting in Peace

Well it will never be brought back claytonx, it wouldn't be so bad if murderer WERE sent down for life, I can never understand any judge saying I sentence you to life in prison and you'll serve a minimum of, say, 15 years, utter nonsense, say what you like about the American justice system, they do make the punishment fit the crime, pity we done follow suit here
Old 28-12-2011, 18:13   #4
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it will never be brought back claytonx, it wouldn't be so bad if murderer WERE sent down for life, I can never understand any judge saying I sentence you to life in prison and you'll serve a minimum of, say, 15 years, utter nonsense, say what you like about the American justice system, they do make the punishment fit the crime, pity we done follow suit here
You are right we are more concerned with over crowding and costs, possibly if they made them more like a prison than holiday camp we would not have as many small time crooks going back, and more room to make life as you said Life.
Old 28-12-2011, 18:16   #5

And if Stefan Ivan Kiszko had been given the death penalty, what would you have said to his poor mother when he was finally cleared of Lesley Molseed's murder?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:21   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
And if Stefan Ivan Kiszko had been given the death penalty, what would you have said to his poor mother when he was finally cleared of Lesley Molseed's murder?
Quicker response than normal from the opposition. My personal views & reasoning on the subject are well documented elsewhere on the site on similar threads.
Old 28-12-2011, 18:30   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya but what cleared him, DNA the same thing that is putting murderers behind bars today, I can't see the rhyme or reason for keeping the likes of Huntley behind bars living the life of Riley, 3 square a day, Sky TV Game Boy, stereo, and that's supposed to be punishment
Old 28-12-2011, 18:37   #8
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I only said threat: Plenty of appeals no doubt.
Old 28-12-2011, 18:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya but what cleared him, DNA the same thing that is putting murderers behind bars today, I can't see the rhyme or reason for keeping the likes of Huntley behind bars living the life of Riley, 3 square a day, Sky TV Game Boy, stereo, and that's supposed to be punishment
Yes, but if he had been given the death penalty he would have been hanged long before he was cleared.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:49   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Oops
Old 28-12-2011, 18:55   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Very poor arguement D.N.A. was NOT available when the guy was sent down. if produced now before sentence - different altogether.
Old 28-12-2011, 19:00   #12
God Member

Quote:
Somehow, I don't think "sorry, s..t happens" would cut it. Here's a few more:
Canada's wrongful convictions - Canada - CBC News

And to those, like Jaysay, who admire the American justice system: why don't capital punishment and heavy jail sentences seem to be working If they did work, the US wouldn't be the crime capital of the "civilized" world.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 19:06   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Somehow, I don't think "sorry, s..t happens" would cut it. Here's a few more:
Canada's wrongful convictions - Canada - CBC News

And to those, like Jaysay, who admire the American justice system: why don't capital punishment and heavy jail sentences seem to be working If they did work, the US wouldn't be the crime capital of the "civilized" world.
Not too sure about that Eric, the fact yeh can buy guns like we buy sweets must contribute i reckon?
Old 28-12-2011, 19:08   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Do you think murders would be reduced if the threat of hanging was brought back. I remember life in prison was voted for instead which does not happen.
Answer: No.

But you guys must have some form of "real" life in prison. I know we do. The biggest punishment for first degree murder is 25 years before they have a chance to apply for parole. This, of course, doesn't mean they get out of jail after 25 yrs. The parole board can deny parole indefinitely. That seems to equal life to me. ... or at least the possibility of it. And you must have some form of "dangerous offender" status. This means the guy doesn't get out: period.
Old 28-12-2011, 19:21   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not too sure about that Eric, the fact yeh can buy guns like we buy sweets must contribute i reckon?
Canadians have guns .... lots of them ... I have six. But we don't generally drive around shooting other Canadians. If I felt like it, and had the cash to waste, I could go to the local gun store and buy as many guns as I wanted. All I need is my Firearms Aquisition Certificate. Hand guns and assault rifles, no. But it doesn't take much to cut down a shotgun, or to mickey mouse a semi-automatic so that it fires on full. The difference between the murder rates in Canada and the US can't be explained merely by citing the easier acces to firearms in the US. Detroit, just across the border from Windsor, ON, has more murders than the whole of Canada. Windsor's murder rate is around zero.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..