Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 15:54   #106
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
He would be given a minimum of supplies......he would have to build his own shelter and forage for his own food.
Just like to add, along with the rest of the no-marks, they must then labour & farm the land, to create their own food supplies & any surplus could be used to feed elderly & less fortunate on the mainland. It's been done in the past ..... Botany bay, Australia & they've not done to shoddily out of it.
Old 06-01-2012, 15:56   #107
God Member

I have a better idea. Put them all in the army. Keep them away from guns and knives and such until they can be trusted. but every day they would be made to work and work bloody hard. and that way at least the country could see some return on its investment and there might be a chance for them to make something of their lives.

Failing that, well, might as well hang em!
Old 06-01-2012, 16:01   #108
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Can I vote for you to be El Presidente' Marg?
Unfortunately even if common sense was availble at Westminster, the bleeding hearts would not let it happen.
Shame really. I do like the island idea, a sort of modern day Devils Island, bit like 'escape from New York'
Goodness, if I were El Presidente, there would have to be some changes made.

It is the 'bleeding hearts' who have wrecked this country....with their liberal ideas......soft treatment of prisoners. I am surprised we are still allowed to call them criminals......I thought they would have been given another less stigmatising name.
For too long the criminals rights have been considered above those of the victims. How can this be right?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:05   #109
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I have a better idea. Put them all in the army. Keep them away from guns and knives and such until they can be trusted. but every day they would be made to work and work bloody hard. and that way at least the country could see some return on its investment and there might be a chance for them to make something of their lives.

Failing that, well, might as well hang em!
I don't think the army is the right place for them. why should the lads who are fighting to defend this country be saddled with the no-counts that fill our jails....many of them do not belong here anyway.

And rather than hanging, why can't we just humanely euthanise them and use their organs for transplant purposes....then at least their lives would not have been totally in vain, and it could be seen as having paid back their debt to society.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:37   #110
God Member

But that is just it, Margaret. The lads and lasses in the forces are fighting to defend our country, from forces without and also within.

I know that Acrylic-senior, who was a Sgt of Artillery, would have relished the opportunity to get someone like Liam on his parade ground. He would have made him suffer in so many ways, all with the best possible intentions. At the end, Liam would have become a credit not only to his regiment and country but to himself. Of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

And the best bit is...no ECHR involvement would be necessary and those scheduled for deportation at the end of their sentence would be delivered smartly and efficiently to the airport in plenty of time to catch their flight, with every 'i' dotted and 't' crossed without a lawyer in sight.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-01-2012 at 16:40.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:44   #111
God Member

Needless to say, of course, that 'Lifers', in time of conflict, would be most definately in the front line.
Old 06-01-2012, 17:57   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
All of what you say makes perfect sense, Margaret. And every item on your agenda could be challenged by Lawyers using Human Rights legislation, sucessfully I might add, and all at additional cost to the taxpayer in court time(not cheap), legal fees (definately not cheap), and probably compensation too (least cheap of the three).
Wasn't it Tony Blair who said that signing the European Human Rights Act was the finest thing he had ever done in politics, well it sure as hell made sure his wife could keep dipping her bread in the gravy for many years to come and you never know, when Tons nice little earners run out he can always drag the silks out of the cupboard and join his wife
Old 07-01-2012, 11:49   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Needless to say, of course, that 'Lifers', in time of conflict, would be most definately in the front line.
Are you saying that they would have been frontliners by choice? For one they would probably be the biggest cowards! Also that the Kray Twins were deserters from the Army and the Eastend gangster culture was born out of deserters in the 2nd World War who took advantage of the fact most able bodied men were fighting to rob and break into jewellry shops etc as there were very few coppers to protect them.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:37   #114
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Are you saying that they would have been frontliners by choice?
Don't be daft, they'd have been part of a punishment battalion sent to the front to be annihilated by the incoming fire & tripping mines, then the proper Infantry & Armour could come through.
Old 07-01-2012, 13:59   #115
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Don't be daft, they'd have been part of a punishment battalion sent to the front to be annihilated by the incoming fire & tripping mines, then the proper Infantry & Armour could come through.
Any fool could see that!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 14:09   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ya cannon folder
Old 07-01-2012, 14:14   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Any fool could see that!
Kestrelx aint any fool.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:57   #118
Senior Member+

Quote:
Maybee in the 1st World War but latter on warfare was a bit more sophisticated and criminals would be a hinderance!

Bit like the Accrington Pals!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 18:08   #119
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Maybee in the 1st World War but latter on warfare was a bit more sophisticated and criminals would be a hinderance!
I beg to differ :-

penal battalions ? FREE penal battalions information | Encyclopedia.com: Find penal battalions research

36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Dirlewanger

South Korea’s “Dirty Dozen” Visions of Empire

There are others but you'll need to look yourself.
Old 10-01-2012, 16:21   #120
God Member

Just goes to show that there is nothing new under the sun.

But how would the older 'lifers' purge their sin? Or indeed the ones that are so plainly crackers, Ian Bradey et al?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..