Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 15:51   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
In time, the convicted murderer will adjust to their incarceration and find within its limitations, time when they feel joy, times when they laugh, talk to their family, etc., but as the victim, no more are such opportunities available to them. Those that are pro death penalty feel it is society’s responsibility to step in and be the voice of the victim and determine what is a just punishment, for the victim not the criminal.

Think of the phrase itself, "life sentence." Does the victim get a "life sentence"? The victim is dead. To serve justice, that person who ended their life should have to pay with their own in order for the scale of justice to remain in balance.

Opponents of capital punishment say, capital punishment is barbaric and cruel and has no place in a civilized society. It denies an individual of due process by imposing irrevocable punishment on them and depriving them from ever benefiting from new technology that may provide later evidence of their innocence.
Murder in any form, by any person, shows a lack of respect for human life. For victims of murder, sparing the life of their killer is the truest form of justice that can be given to them. Opponents of the death penalty feel to kill as a way to "even out" the crime would only justify the act itself. This position is not taken out of sympathy to the convicted murderer but out of respect for his victim in demonstrating that all human life should be of value.My standing on what is a very emotive issue is that if there is no doubt capital punishment should be implemented, our justice system as it stands seems to be weighed very much in favour of the perpetrators of crime and not the victim.
If you really want to make sure someone convicted of evil crimes be punished then we should have a TV program bit like Big Brother in which the public phone in and vote on forms of trial and punishment for criminals and they are shown on TV carrying out their ordeal. This would make sure they never got too lax in their prison haven of pleasure and pain! The program would ensure they got pain and lots of it!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2012, 16:49   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So...the two scummers who killed an innocent lad because of the colour of his skin have received minimum sentences of 15 years and 14 years 3 months. The judge said he couldn't give them longer because he was "constrained by Parliament".

THIS is why so many people clamour for a return to capital punishment. Because justice is so obviously not seen to be done in this country...and this is the fault of politicians of all parties who misrule us.
He was also only allowed to sentence them as juveniles , as they were only 16-17 at the time the offence was committed The law is as they say an ASS
Old 04-01-2012, 17:50   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The judge should be allowed to give two life sentences....to run consecutively...and even that would not be long enough for them.
I hope that when these two do go to Jail, their lives are made miserable by the Afro carribean population in the nick.....I hope one of them grasses up the other chaps who were in this gang of lads, on the night that Stephen Lawrence was murdered too.

They thought they were home free.......no chance of being brought to justice.
It could be a start if the word concurrently was deleted from the law books and replaced by consecutively
Old 04-01-2012, 18:46   #94
Beacon of light

Had they been convicted at the first trial they would be out round about now.

The law should allow for the judge to add on extra years for the years that they avoided justice.
And the mother who said her son was home at the time of the attack, should now be prosecuted for perjury and perverting the course of justice.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 19:14   #95
Senior Member+

Two down, three to go.

Gary Dobson and David Norris have been put away for a long, long time (although not as long as they should be!)

The police have received fresh information that will hopefully lead to the conviction of Neil Acourt, Jamie Acourt and Luke Knight. They have already been branded 'murderers'

And the public appetite is for them to be brought to justice.

And they will, however long it takes.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 19:18   #96
Beacon of light

I'm sure that Knight and the Acourt boys are brickin' it right now.
Old 04-01-2012, 20:36   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm sure that Knight and the Acourt boys are brickin' it right now.
I would hope so, remember the cocky sods on tv the last time.
Old 04-01-2012, 22:58   #98
God Member

I doubt this is over..these two are bound to appeal.
Never liked the US style of plea bargianing but can't see any of the accused "grassing" if they are likely to get the same sentence... these two may not be the one that stabbed the lad but they were there and involved .. but the one who committed the murder may still be free.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I would hope so, remember the cocky sods on tv the last time.
Ya the arrogant barstewards, they should have thrown the key away and what about one of their mothers, saying he was at home that night, why has she not been arrested
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58   #100
God Member

A contentious issue, to be sure.

Just to stir the waters a little, what would those who do not advocate a return to the death penalty do to rehabilitate this character..?

Convicted killer Liam Ryan shows off his PlayStation, TV and snacks from inside young offenders institute cell | Mail Online
Old 06-01-2012, 14:08   #101
Beacon of light

Well, I know exactly what I would do to rehabilitate him.

He would rise every morning at 6am. Breakfast would be porage and toast.
He would be made to do some heavy manual work until 12 midday when he would get a lunch of soup and a sandwich with a cup of tea....or water if he preferred.
He would go back to work at 12.45 doing whatever he had spent the morning doing.....but it would be hard physical graft of some description......even if it meant just shifting rocks from one side of a quadrangle to the other.
Evening meal would be at 6pm.Some kind of meat and three veg.
6pm until 8pm would be compulsory education...literacy, numeracy etc.
8pm until 9pm shower, evening drink, tea/cocoa.
Lights out at 9pm......there would be no TV, no videos or video games.
Every day would be the same except for 90 minutes on a Saturday when he would be able to play some organised sport.

Alternatively he could opt for a different kind of rehabilitation.......a prison island.
He w ould be landed ashore on one of the many islands that are dotted around the coast.
He would be given a minimum of supplies......he would have to build his own shelter and forage for his own food.

It would be interesting to see if he would be such a hard man then.
Old 06-01-2012, 15:13   #102
God Member

All of what you say makes perfect sense, Margaret. And every item on your agenda could be challenged by Lawyers using Human Rights legislation, sucessfully I might add, and all at additional cost to the taxpayer in court time(not cheap), legal fees (definately not cheap), and probably compensation too (least cheap of the three).
Old 06-01-2012, 15:28   #103
God Member

I find it deeply worrying that, as things stand, anyone convicted of the crime of murder becomes de facto a drain on the states resources for the rest of their lives. Liam Ryan, when he is eventually released, will stand no chance of ever finding gainful employment on his own and will be 'signing on' once a fortnight until he reaches pension age. Having been convicted of Murder I cannot think of any employer in their right mind who would touch him with a bargepole. And if there were to come along an employer with a sense of mission to assist the ex offender, how long do you think Liam would be likely to hold a job for? A day? A week, perhaps?

The sad truth is, his, is now an utterly useless life. His life behind bars will teach him nothing. It will certainly not reform him. He will be every bit as much the mindless thug on the day he comes out of prison as he was on the day he went into prison.
Old 06-01-2012, 15:32   #104
Beacon of light

Oh, Damn A-B.....I didn't know I was going to be constrained by the ECHR regulations.....I thought I was living in a perfect world.
My feeling on the EHR legislation is that if you murder someone and take away their human right to have a life, then you should forfeit all human rights because you have proved beyond a reasonable doubt that you are not human.

In fact for all offences other that traffic offences, I would remove human rights from prisoners.....why should they have better treatment than they meted out to their victims?
Old 06-01-2012, 15:48   #105
JFT96

Can I vote for you to be El Presidente' Marg?
Unfortunately even if common sense was availble at Westminster, the bleeding hearts would not let it happen.
Shame really. I do like the island idea, a sort of modern day Devils Island, bit like 'escape from New York'

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..