Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2011, 17:38   #46
God Member

Re: Hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well living in a civilised society, its best to put rabid dogs down, animals do not behave like some people claiming to be human beings, When your dealing with scum that act like rabid animals the only thing in my eyes is to put them down
How did the discussion get around to rabies Seems like you are setting yourself up as judge and jury. Don't you guys already have a well-established system for that, one that has been around for, let me think ... at least the time of Henry ll?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2011, 17:42   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
How did the discussion get around to rabies Seems like you are setting yourself up as judge and jury. Don't you guys already have a well-established system for that, one that has been around for, let me think ... at least the time of Henry ll?
The scum I mention are worse than Rabid Dogs, and were all convicted of outrageous murders, they were found guilty by a jury and to me should have been sentenced to 3 days in prison, then strung up
Old 29-12-2011, 17:44   #48
Beacon of light

Maybe we should put all the old folk in prison and the crims in the old folks homes...now that would be a bit of justice...especially if the crims had to pay for the pleasure of being 'looked after'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 17:58   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Maybe we should put all the old folk in prison and the crims in the old folks homes...now that would be a bit of justice...especially if the crims had to pay for the pleasure of being 'looked after'.
Hey Ho, Margaret, that was one of my first threads and Less told me off for not saying it was a quote so I may have to rebuke you!
( It was too clever for me to have thought of myself! He probably realizes that now).
However, there was a lot of truth in it!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 18:14   #50
Full Member+

The so called 'Season of Good Will' has so far seen five murders (that we know of) committed in the UK. This demonstrates to me that the so called gang culture among the youth of this country is turning them into little more than savages. I would happily see the culprits strung up if it were proven beyond doubt that they were guilty of the offence charged.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 19:49   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Do you think murders would be reduced if the threat of hanging was brought back. I remember life in prison was voted for instead which does not happen.
The death penalty should not be brought for the simple reason that it would make us no better than they are. It sends out a message of inhumanity. An eye for an eye and the whole world turns blind.

Secondly, I don't think it would be a deterent as most murders are either in the heat of the moment after provocation or by psychopaths. The logical thought process of crime and punishment doesn't really come into it.

Thirdly, as mentioned by other Posters, it doesn't work in other countries such as the USA which are some of the most violent in the world.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 20:47   #52
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Hey Ho, Margaret, that was one of my first threads and Less told me off for not saying it was a quote so I may have to rebuke you!
( It was too clever for me to have thought of myself! He probably realizes that now).
However, there was a lot of truth in it!
I wasn't quoting from an e-mail or anything else in particular.........it just seems crazy that the old folk of this country can be cold, lonely and hungry while the miscreants(and that is just me being diplomatic) are looked after admirably....and all this is paid for by our taxes, whilst these old folk have to sell their homes to pay for their care. It just seems to me that society has its' values a bit skewed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 21:10   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I wasn't quoting from an e-mail or anything else in particular.........it just seems crazy that the old folk of this country can be cold, lonely and hungry while the miscreants(and that is just me being diplomatic) are looked after admirably....and all this is paid for by our taxes, whilst these old folk have to sell their homes to pay for their care. It just seems to me that society has its' values a bit skewed.
In a nutshell,society has gone nuts n conveniently ignores such stuff.
Old 29-12-2011, 21:16   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
The death penalty should not be brought for the simple reason that it would make us no better than they are. It sends out a message of inhumanity. An eye for an eye and the whole world turns blind.

Secondly, I don't think it would be a deterent as most murders are either in the heat of the moment after provocation or by psychopaths. The logical thought process of crime and punishment doesn't really come into it.

Thirdly, as mentioned by other Posters, it doesn't work in other countries such as the USA which are some of the most violent in the world.
So are yeh content to leave it as is? doin about 10/12 years in relative comfort fer murder? cos yeh sure aint said yeh wanna change it.
Old 29-12-2011, 22:11   #55

If prison is so cushy why doesn't everyone want to be in there. I don't see queues of people begging to be sent down for a life of luxury.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 22:29   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
If prison is so cushy why doesn't everyone want to be in there. I don't see queues of people begging to be sent down for a life of luxury.
you really are a plank, i said relatively as regards to how many elderly have to live, and yeh avoided answering me question.
Old 30-12-2011, 07:34   #57
JFT96

If we could prove beyond doubt, and I do have my reservations, we should bring back the Death Penalty.
However the current penal system is far too soft.
So instead of reform, why don't we adopt a similar system to the French, punish offenders.
Life imprisonment should mean that, not release after 14 years or so, gun/knife crime should carry a minimum term of, say 10 years.
Introduce the Three Strikes System, similar to the one that they use in Califonia, might be an idea.
Let's get rid of tv's, games, comforts etc in prison.
Make the crime pay

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 30-12-2011 at 07:37.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 08:26   #58
God Member

Quote:
I think you are right - it's too easy to think that all prisons are like hotels.

I have never been in one even to visit so I don't have first-hand experience. I certainly wouldn't want to end up in one and lose all my liberties and privacy.

I have a friend who worked as a councellor for people who self-harmed in prisons in N.Ireland and it sounded pretty grim from what she could tell me. There are also a good number of people who are driven to suicide in prison don't forget and they are not all mass-murderers.

I can understand the out-rage expressed at inmates getting board and lodgings effectively for free -surely some system of working for your upkeep could be introduced -I don't mean breaking rocks, of course, but something that would be useful and count as some form of pay-back to society.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 08:35   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I think you are right - it's too easy to think that all prisons are like hotels.

I have never been in one even to visit so I don't have first-hand experience. I certainly wouldn't want to end up in one and lose all my liberties and privacy.

I have a friend who worked as a councellor for people who self-harmed in prisons in N.Ireland and it sounded pretty grim from what she could tell me. There are also a good number of people who are driven to suicide in prison don't forget and they are not all mass-murderers.

I can understand the out-rage expressed at inmates getting board and lodgings effectively for free -surely some system of working for your upkeep could be introduced -I don't mean breaking rocks, of course, but something that would be useful and count as some form of pay-back to society.
Most decent people would have no wish to be in prison,thats rather obvious to me, n aint seen anyone mention hotels? the conditions n facilities in prison are better than many good,elderly people enjoy, is that difficult fer some to grasp?
Old 30-12-2011, 08:43   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

A couple of friends of mine are Magistrates, and they both went on a visit to Lancaster Farm, Young offenders institute. They both came to the conclusion that this was no deterrent what so ever, was like a 5 star hotel to some of them and the majority would rather be there than at home. This is significant with our penal system throughout, they are better treated than pensioners, thus the usual statement I can do the time stood on my head, now if we made the penal service a place where no body wants to return we'd be getting somewhere, I'm sure that criminals are not given the same consideration in Italy or anywhere else for that matter, because all the hand wringing woolly headed liberals live in good old Britain

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..