Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2011, 14:50   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Hanging

They do say no one hanged for murder ever committed another one-or any other crime come to that.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2011, 14:55   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Canada's a very big country, home to many different races and cultures. We don't have the death penalty. And even (notice I began this sentence with a conjunction) without the death penalty, our murder rate is going down. In fact, the rates for all types of crime are on the way down. Point is though, if anyone could demonstrate to me ... logically, statistically, whatever -ally, that capital pusnishment is a deterrent to murder, I would be all in favour of it. But as far as I can see, it doesn't work as a deterrent. I know folks who are in favout of it for the wrong reasons: probably the decendants of those who did their knitting by the guillotine, or who got their jollies at Tyburn. But, as a deterrent to murder, it just doesn't work. And however many jerks, assholes, losers, etc. are hanged, fried, or shot, it will never work.
Whilst it don't work as a deterrant Eric, it sure as hell keeps the costs down a bit.
Old 29-12-2011, 14:55   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
with DNA today and it can be proved without a shadow of doubt murderers should be killed then tax payers money would not be wasted feeding and looking after them in prison
It might be worthwhile checking out how much it costs in the US to keep a guy on death row while he goes through all the appeal processes which are his right as a US citizen. It might surprise you. And give you something to occupy yourself on a cold winter's day. The saving money argument works just about as well as the deterrent argument.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:01   #34
God Member

Quote:
Canada's a very big country, home to many different races and cultures. We don't have the death penalty. And even (notice I began this sentence with a conjunction) without the death penalty, our murder rate is going down. In fact, the rates for all types of crime are on the way down. Point is though, if anyone could demonstrate to me ... logically, statistically, whatever -ally, that capital pusnishment is a deterrent to murder, I would be all in favour of it. But as far as I can see, it doesn't work as a deterrent. I know folks who are in favout of it for the wrong reasons: probably the decendants of those who did their knitting by the guillotine, or who got their jollies at Tyburn. But, as a deterrent to murder, it just doesn't work. And however many jerks, assholes, losers, etc. are hanged, fried, or shot, it will never work.
And I agree fully with what you say Eric

A death penalty for me is impossible to defend in a civilized society.

What do you think are the particular set of circumstances in Canada that make the lowering of the crime rate a reality?

Do you think that it has something to do with the quality of life that you have over there?

Is it something to do with the style of policing?

Is there just a different mentality among the population which is successfully transmitted to the young - do you think that people have greater hope of having decent prospects and a better life?

So many of our young people are disillusioned with what the UK/ Europe can offer -the future seems pretty dismal and perhaps that is a factor affecting the crime rate here (undoubtedly it was a factor in the summer riots both in the UK and Italy).

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 29-12-2011 at 15:02. Reason: Juggling sentences
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:03   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It might be worthwhile checking out how much it costs in the US to keep a guy on death row while he goes through all the appeal processes which are his right as a US citizen. It might surprise you. And give you something to occupy yourself on a cold winter's day. The saving money argument works just about as well as the deterrent argument.
Don't buy that at all, talking about the U.K. not the U.S.A. we aint got a death row n the circus that goes wi it.
Old 29-12-2011, 15:19   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
They do say no one hanged for murder ever committed another one-or any other crime come to that.
Yes, true indeed. But did he commit the murder he was hanged for?
Old 29-12-2011, 15:21   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't buy that at all, talking about the U.K. not the U.S.A. we aint got a death row n the circus that goes wi it.
But you will have ... there are lawyers, probably a lot like your former PM's wife, who will make sure of it
Old 29-12-2011, 15:24   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
But you will have ... there are lawyers, probably a lot like your former PM's wife, who will make sure of it
Assume yer meaning the circus? cos we will never have a death row! n if so agree a lot will try, don't mean fer sure sucess though.
Old 29-12-2011, 15:31   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

What do you think are the particular set of circumstances in Canada that make the lowering of the crime rate a reality?

Do you think that it has something to do with the quality of life that you have over there?

Is it something to do with the style of policing?

Is there just a different mentality among the population which is successfully transmitted to the young - do you think that people have greater hope of having decent prospects and a better life?

So many of our young people are disillusioned with what the UK/ Europe can offer -the future seems pretty dismal and perhaps that is a factor affecting the crime rate here (undoubtedly it was a factor in the summer riots both in the UK and Italy).
Maybe because, in general, we're a happy bunch of hosers over here.

Could be that we rank 228th in the world in terms of population density, at 3.41 per square kilometer.

Even with a tory government, right wing stuff like not allowing gay marriage, abortions, and capital punishment don't seem to bother most Canadians. We are a live and let live bunch. The only thing that really gets us going is hockey.

Old 29-12-2011, 15:39   #40
God Member

[quote=Eric;958946]Maybe because, in general, we're a happy bunch of hosers over here.

Could be that we rank 228th in the world in terms of population density, at 3.41 per square kilometer.

Even with a tory government, right wing stuff like not allowing gay marriage, abortions, and capital punishment don't seem to bother most Canadians. We are a live and let live bunch. The only thing that really gets us going is hockey.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there Eric, population density is an important factor affecting everything. (Think "lemmings"!)

And the only time you guys get mad is when there are a lot of you in a confined space - eg hockey matches

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 16:46   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, true indeed. But did he commit the murder he was hanged for?
Pointless discussing that once he's hanged.

Perhaps if we made hangings public again it would be more of a deterrent?
Old 29-12-2011, 17:12   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Pointless discussing that once he's hanged.

Perhaps if we made hangings public again it would be more of a deterrent?
No it wouldn't ... would just mean that more sickos could get together and watch someone hang ... lot like a snuff movie, eh. Kinda like the hard-line islamists, who fill football stadiums with horny males getting their jollies from watching women being flogged.

Old 29-12-2011, 17:19   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well Eric deterrent or no deterrent, why should scum like Brady, Sutcliffe, Neilson (who's now dead, thank god) and Huntley, who committed such atrocious murders, be locked up and cosseted for the rest of their miserable lives, with the cost to the tax payer running into millions of pounds, oh yes the warders have to call them MR as well, because they have rights
Old 29-12-2011, 17:26   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Well living in a civilised society, its best to put rabid dogs down, animals do not behave like some people claiming to be human beings, When your dealing with scum that act like rabid animals the only thing in my eyes is to put them down
Old 29-12-2011, 17:29   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
No it wouldn't ... would just mean that more sickos could get together and watch someone hang ... lot like a snuff movie, eh. Kinda like the hard-line islamists, who fill football stadiums with horny males getting their jollies from watching women being flogged.

Whatever turns you on!

Sorry, Eric, I was just stirring it a bit.

I wouldn't like to see the Death Penalty brought back, hopefully we've moved on from there.
BUT(conjunction) I don't believe that currently the punishment for the ultimate crime matches that crime!
Sky tv,laptops, xboxes, pool tables, 3 good meals a day, central heating, drugs, mobile phones etc., etc., And(conjunction) a life sentence that is NOT for life!
Hell, I'm on the outside and I haven't got all that!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..