Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2011, 11:24   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh ya great, keeping Ian Huntley behind bars is costing £1 million per year, he has every luxury he wants three square a day, the warders call him either Sir or Mr Huntley, life's a dream, now if the git was breaking rocks 10 hours a day and locked in his cell for the other 14 without any toys or TV on bread and water, then ya okay that would be fine, but in britain's butlins holiday camp prisons, punishment, don't make me laugh my lips are chapped
I'm not saying they should have luxury's, I think they should take them away and make them think about what deeds they did to get them in there! Giving them TV and other luxury's just helps them take their mind off what they have done. However even with toys living in a cell would still make him think about what he'd done to some degree. But I don't know what medications they give him to help him cope - perhaps he is given tranqulizers on a daily basis or something?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2011, 11:26   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
The influence comes from the yardie gangs from the caribbean, every been down peckham south London
Yardie gangs partly and also that links in with American Hip- Hop Gang culture - baggy jeans, puffa jackets and base-ball caps - they are all singing from the same rap sheet!
Old 31-12-2011, 16:27   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I'm not saying they should have luxury's, I think they should take them away and make them think about what deeds they did to get them in there! Giving them TV and other luxury's just helps them take their mind off what they have done. However even with toys living in a cell would still make him think about what he'd done to some degree. But I don't know what medications they give him to help him cope - perhaps he is given tranqulizers on a daily basis or something?
Ya sadly though the two little girls that Huntley murdered, will never get time to reflect on anything, just their parents missing their children and grandchildren growing up
Old 31-12-2011, 20:06   #79
God Member

Quote:
Yardie gangs partly and also that links in with American Hip- Hop Gang culture - baggy jeans, puffa jackets and base-ball caps - they are all singing from the same rap sheet!
I've been giving some thought to this ... you posed the question earlier. I don't know if I can see a correspondence, but the American media is a powerful institution. (I almost said "American culture", that's a nice oxymoron) I think one could argue that the American media is a weapon of mass destruction, insinuating itself into every part of the planet. The more-or-less glamorization of the gang culture makes it attractive to young people all over the world. The trivialization of crime ... it becomes a plot line ... and its sanitization and realistic presentation make it attractive. The fad of reality shows seems to be convincing people that what they see on TV is real, rather than merely realistic. In some ways the US media creates its own realities: they lose the war in Viet Nam, but they win the same war in Hollywood (with a little help from Stalone) I don't believe it is the intention of the script writers to make crime attractive, but impressionable youth might see it that way. I don't believe that musicians mean to foment violence, but that seems to be what happens. Problem is, victims of movie portrayals of drive by shooting get up, grab a coffee, take their pay cheque and go home. In real life, they end up on a slab; and numerous lives are ruined in the process.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 20:38   #80
Senior Member+

In time, the convicted murderer will adjust to their incarceration and find within its limitations, time when they feel joy, times when they laugh, talk to their family, etc., but as the victim, no more are such opportunities available to them. Those that are pro death penalty feel it is society’s responsibility to step in and be the voice of the victim and determine what is a just punishment, for the victim not the criminal.

Think of the phrase itself, "life sentence." Does the victim get a "life sentence"? The victim is dead. To serve justice, that person who ended their life should have to pay with their own in order for the scale of justice to remain in balance.

Opponents of capital punishment say, capital punishment is barbaric and cruel and has no place in a civilized society. It denies an individual of due process by imposing irrevocable punishment on them and depriving them from ever benefiting from new technology that may provide later evidence of their innocence.
Murder in any form, by any person, shows a lack of respect for human life. For victims of murder, sparing the life of their killer is the truest form of justice that can be given to them. Opponents of the death penalty feel to kill as a way to "even out" the crime would only justify the act itself. This position is not taken out of sympathy to the convicted murderer but out of respect for his victim in demonstrating that all human life should be of value.My standing on what is a very emotive issue is that if there is no doubt capital punishment should be implemented, our justice system as it stands seems to be weighed very much in favour of the perpetrators of crime and not the victim.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
In time, the convicted murderer will adjust to their incarceration and find within its limitations, time when they feel joy, times when they laugh, talk to their family, etc., but as the victim, no more are such opportunities available to them. Those that are pro death penalty feel it is society’s responsibility to step in and be the voice of the victim and determine what is a just punishment, for the victim not the criminal.

Think of the phrase itself, "life sentence." Does the victim get a "life sentence"? The victim is dead. To serve justice, that person who ended their life should have to pay with their own in order for the scale of justice to remain in balance.

Opponents of capital punishment say, capital punishment is barbaric and cruel and has no place in a civilized society. It denies an individual of due process by imposing irrevocable punishment on them and depriving them from ever benefiting from new technology that may provide later evidence of their innocence.
Murder in any form, by any person, shows a lack of respect for human life. For victims of murder, sparing the life of their killer is the truest form of justice that can be given to them. Opponents of the death penalty feel to kill as a way to "even out" the crime would only justify the act itself. This position is not taken out of sympathy to the convicted murderer but out of respect for his victim in demonstrating that all human life should be of value.My standing on what is a very emotive issue is that if there is no doubt capital punishment should be implemented, our justice system as it stands seems to be weighed very much in favour of the perpetrators of crime and not the victim.
Great Post Dave, hit the nail on the head really
Old 03-01-2012, 16:38   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I've been giving some thought to this ... you posed the question earlier. I don't know if I can see a correspondence, but the American media is a powerful institution. (I almost said "American culture", that's a nice oxymoron) I think one could argue that the American media is a weapon of mass destruction, insinuating itself into every part of the planet. The more-or-less glamorization of the gang culture makes it attractive to young people all over the world. The trivialization of crime ... it becomes a plot line ... and its sanitization and realistic presentation make it attractive. The fad of reality shows seems to be convincing people that what they see on TV is real, rather than merely realistic. In some ways the US media creates its own realities: they lose the war in Viet Nam, but they win the same war in Hollywood (with a little help from Stalone) I don't believe it is the intention of the script writers to make crime attractive, but impressionable youth might see it that way. I don't believe that musicians mean to foment violence, but that seems to be what happens. Problem is, victims of movie portrayals of drive by shooting get up, grab a coffee, take their pay cheque and go home. In real life, they end up on a slab; and numerous lives are ruined in the process.
The Indiana Jones film shown last night had so much "harmless" violence in it that gives the wrong idea to kids - like people getting punched in the face repeatedly and no effect, that gives the wrong impression and must have an effect on how kids see violence ; obviously??? There was a time when kids didn't see violence on TV so readily and it really was all after 9pm - yes Hollywood is misleading. I saw a early episode of "Shameless" in which the climax was setting fire to a council house and the whole family celebrating - this is cartoon violence glamorised by Channel 4 and in the light of senseless violence in the riots last August - surely "Shameless" and the rest does influence this kind of behaviour. As well as all the Hollywood propaganda!!!

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-01-2012 at 16:41.
Old 03-01-2012, 17:51   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Indiana Jones film shown last night had so much "harmless" violence in it that gives the wrong idea to kids - like people getting punched in the face repeatedly and no effect, that gives the wrong impression and must have an effect on how kids see violence ; obviously??? There was a time when kids didn't see violence on TV so readily and it really was all after 9pm - yes Hollywood is misleading. I saw a early episode of "Shameless" in which the climax was setting fire to a council house and the whole family celebrating - this is cartoon violence glamorised by Channel 4 and in the light of senseless violence in the riots last August - surely "Shameless" and the rest does influence this kind of behaviour. As well as all the Hollywood propaganda!!!
To be honest kestrelx 90% of the stuff on channel 4 is rubbish, for one I've never watched Shameless, the title puts me of for a start, but film and TV do have a lot to answer for with the behaviour in society today
Old 03-01-2012, 20:27   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Well kestrelx i agree wholeheartedly, T.V. n Film, have much to answer fer,in my book, ah mean some of these knobheads think "Corry" n "Eastenders" are real,n "Rambo" n "Arnie" etc, well they are the men.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well kestrelx i agree wholeheartedly, T.V. n Film, have much to answer fer,in my book, ah mean some of these knobheads think "Corry" n "Eastenders" are real,n "Rambo" n "Arnie" etc, well they are the men.
If I lived in Wallford, think I'd contemplate a move
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
If I lived in Wallford, think I'd contemplate a move
Thats all though, yer too knackered to flit.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:38   #87
Super Moderator

So...the two scummers who killed an innocent lad because of the colour of his skin have received minimum sentences of 15 years and 14 years 3 months. The judge said he couldn't give them longer because he was "constrained by Parliament".

THIS is why so many people clamour for a return to capital punishment. Because justice is so obviously not seen to be done in this country...and this is the fault of politicians of all parties who misrule us.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:41   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So...the two scummers who killed an innocent lad because of the colour of his skin have received minimum sentences of 15 years and 14 years 3 months. The judge said he couldn't give them longer because he was "constrained by Parliament".

THIS is why so many people clamour for a return to capital punishment. Because justice is so obviously not seen to be done in this country...and this is the fault of politicians of all parties who misrule us.
Disgraceful, but hardly a shock, the minority of dogooders will always outweigh the majority wyn, simple fact. seems the judge had no choice,cos of their ages when offence was commited.

Last edited by cashman; 04-01-2012 at 11:47.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 13:00   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Disgraceful, but hardly a shock, the minority of dogooders will always outweigh the majority wyn, simple fact. seems the judge had no choice,cos of their ages when offence was commited.
Quite right, mate, the judge had no choice. But the reason he had no choice was because of the rules and laws laid down by our politicians.
Old 04-01-2012, 14:51   #90
Beacon of light

The judge should beallowed to give two life sentences....to run consecutively...and even that would not be long enough for them.
I hope that when these two do go to Jail, their lives are made miserable by the Afro carribean population in the nick.....I hope one of them grasses up the other chaps who were in this gang of lads, on the night that Stephen Lawrence was murdered too.

They thought they were home free.......no chance of being brought to justice.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..