Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Going far too far! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/going-far-too-far-60557.html)

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 07:14

Going far too far!

I was left speechless after reading this in the Mail online this morning...

Night vision goggles being used in dog fouling crackdown by council wardens | Mail Online

Please, someone, tell me the Mail is making this up

cashman 01-02-2012 07:36

Re: Going far too far!

Wonder what this will cost in these times of austerity? This ridiculous thing was mentioned to me yesterday dinner, H.B.C. at its most sensible?:D

Margaret Pilkington 01-02-2012 07:40

Wasn't this the lead story for the Lancashire Telegraph recently.
It was in the last few days that I read it.

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 07:40

Hate to say it Bob, but I just googled it, it's all over the place.
Speaking of costs that Nikon Dslr our warden is holding in the Mail photo, looks rather expensive, not to mention the lens, looks like a good few thousand were wasted there.

Benipete 01-02-2012 07:55

Didn't I read somewhere that one of our councilors was a keen photographer.No couldn't be I'm just being cynical again.:confused:

Or am I?;):D

Less 01-02-2012 08:13

Well, if you don't like it, fight modern technology with modern technology, if you see someone wandering around in a lonely spot, at night, in plain clothes, wearing these things.
Whip out your mobile phone and ring the Police, we can't have peeping Tom's wandering around, surely the public needs to be protected from suspected perverts?
Mind you, if they can't see you long before you can see them, the glasses ain't much use are they?

Or, more simply, couldn't dog owners take responsibility for their pets obey the law, then the wardens won't have to act in this rediculous manner.

How long before someone comes on saying that George Orwell predicted this? (I think actually his 'big brother' wasn't really concerned about dogs).

Boeing Guy 01-02-2012 08:17

I would be careful if was a Dog Warden, the dogs might get their own back.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/137884.jpg

However I kind of agree with Less, as having had many dogs in my life, it is easy to pick up the mess and put it in a bin.
What scares me is this, is it a real problem? I mean enough to spend thousands on.....

jaysay 01-02-2012 08:25

Well I did see this myself yesterday in the Mail but thought the usual suspects would have ridiculed me for again referring to that publication. Mind you it does conjure to the image of Mossy creeping about at night with the long range lens on his Camera:camera8::D

Wynonie Harris 01-02-2012 08:31

Doubtless one of the HBC Labour councillors who were mouthing off left, right and centre on here when they were in opposition will be along shortly to explain and justify this move. :rolleyes:

garinda 01-02-2012 08:37

I'd heard a rumour that people were using these night vision goggles.

In order to try and catch the dirty doggers at it.

Shocking.

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 08:55

I did a little quick check on prices via Amazon.

Yukon Tracker 1x24 Night Vision Goggles £573.80 per pair

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm VR Lens Kit) rrp.£779.99

Blackrock Workwear Highland Waterproof High Visibility Hi-Vis Work Jacket - Outer £35.95

So that is £1389.74

Just to kit out one snooper.

That is just over the council tax amount charged for a band 'C' property.

Then you have to add in the cost of a van and the overtime.

And all this for a bit of dog muck?

Someone, somewhere, has far too little with which to occupy themselves and far too much of our money to amuse themselves with.

And that is not even taking into account the invasion of privacy aspects of this ridiculous behaviour.

jaysay 01-02-2012 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 966811)
Doubtless one of the HBC Labour councillors who were mouthing off left, right and centre on here when they were in opposition will be along shortly to explain and justify this move. :rolleyes:

Seem to remember around this time last year, that I said to our erstwhile politicos that when they took control at HBC and things started to go pear shaped that we wouldn't see them for dust on here, I was ridiculed at the time and the then very vociferous councillor Moss said he would always come on here and explain the ruling groups policies whatever they were popular or unpopular, seems white man he speak with forked tongue;)

Acrylic-bob 01-02-2012 09:20

Oh well, after a bit of digging it turns out that the motion that set this ridiculous performance in motion was presented to the council by none other than the follicly challenged Cllr. Moss.

It was the next item on the agenda after the Kashmiri business. Apparently you can now be fined £1,000 for allowing your pooch to sully the sacred streets and parks of our fair borough. And more, your neighbours are now being encouraged to inform on you.

Isn't that how the STASI started in East Germany?

The collectivist agenda proceeds apace.

accyman 01-02-2012 09:28

dear god i didnt realise it was our very own council until i read the article.When you hear of idiotic things like this its usualy some area down south.

all the mouthing off about needing to make cuts and reduce silly financial waste and not to mention the things they have cut to pay for this idiotic.

If you should happen to see one of these council employees wearing night vision goggles it is customary and considered rude not to shine your torch at their eyes

Less 01-02-2012 09:44

Firstly, let me state that I am all for pet owners of any kind to act responsibly, after all, it IS your animal, you have no right to let it crap just anywhere.

Secondly, let me state that I am all for our erstwhile friends that deserted us when they gained control of HBC to act even more responsibly when it comes to spending our hard earned.

Thirdly, I can see absolutely no point in dog wardens sneaking around in plain clothes so as to be difficult to detect, then, thanks to H&S having to don the following:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 966818)

Blackrock Workwear Highland Waterproof High Visibility Hi-Vis Work Jacket - Outer £35.95

This thread just shows that the lunies are definately running our particular little asylum.

What next?

Turn the street lights off so that our litter Police can also act in a similar manner in the town centre after dark? (mossey, I know you no longer post, but you sure as hell read what we say. Let me state plainly, the litter Police thing is NOT a suggestion that I wish you to act on, all I want is for you and the other members of your band to represent your town responsibly).