Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   A plague of flies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/a-plague-of-flies-61931.html)

susie123 22-07-2012 16:47

Re: A plague of flies

You learn something every day...

Flies are reared in large numbers in Japan to serve as pollinators of sunflowers in greenhouses, especially the maggots. (from Wikipedia).

And I'd just like to add a couple more instances where, whether we like them or not flies have proved useful to our species.

Maggot therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Casu marzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - for you, Dianne - amazing what they come up with in Italy!

maxthecollie 22-07-2012 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1004108)
We had a UV one in the kitchen for a couple of years...it caught absolutely nothing...but the bug zpper that is like a tennis racquet is ace.......and they sizzle when you hit them.

The UV ones are a waste of money , we had one and it never caught one fly all Summer.

maxthecollie 22-07-2012 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1004117)
I had a Uv lamp when I lived in Church and it worked.
My problem there was with bluebottles, due to living next door to a person with two dogs who kept them in their back yard. Those dogs never left that yard and their dog poo and pee was only cleared when it rained heavily.

That is disgusting. If Max "performs" in our yard , whatever it is it is removed right awy and washed down with the hosepipe. The dogs should be taken out and exercised not left in a yard all the time.

jaysay 22-07-2012 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1004134)
That is disgusting. If Max "performs" in our yard , whatever it is it is removed right awy and washed down with the hosepipe. The dogs should be taken out and exercised not left in a yard all the time.

Ya Frank but your a responsible dog owner, very few are like you mate believe me, the number of people I see walking their dogs near my gaff who try to get away with not picking up after the charges, wouldn't like to think what their own yards or gardens are like

DaveinGermany 22-07-2012 18:02

Don't know about a plague of flies, more like proddin' a hornets nest with a stick, all the angry buzzin & barbs, now come on & play nice or you'll be off to bed & no bikky ! :)

Margaret Pilkington 22-07-2012 18:06

It was all going on very nicely until someone poked his neb in and threw some jibes and insults.

MargaretR 22-07-2012 18:49

This topic is no doubt being watched by locals who aren't members because they are hoping for news of a solution to the problem.

We have been known to get news before the papers did.

Petty name calling, regardless of who started it, is a deterrent to new members.

I hope that Neil can spare the time to edit you all out.

Margaret Pilkington 22-07-2012 18:52

I'm sure you are right about the news angle Margaret.

And there is no need for rudeness of any sort.

Margaret Pilkington 22-07-2012 18:57

I'm also pretty sure that those who are not members, with half an ounce of sense, will see through those who have resorted to insults....and see that not all of accyweb is like that.

DaveinGermany 22-07-2012 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1004176)

Argus Panoptes was having a nosey earlier I noticed, I assume the exchanges were within bounds as no retribution has been forthcoming. :rolleyes:

MargaretR 22-07-2012 19:23

I watched lots of fly solutions on youtube and this one was the best

FLY CARTOON - YouTube

MargaretR 22-07-2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1004188)
Argus Panoptes was having a nosey earlier I noticed, I assume the exchanges were within bounds as no retribution has been forthcoming. :rolleyes:

He didn't have time - he had a three week appointment at Specsavers

annesingleton 22-07-2012 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommiasfc (Post 1004152)
Didn't upset me but you do allot of people who don't return. I think there's something in your oxygen bottle making you go loopy

That is a horrible thing to say and uncalled for, there is never a time when it's ok to mock people less able than you, shame on you!

cashman 22-07-2012 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1004176)
This topic is no doubt being watched by locals who aren't members because they are hoping for news of a solution to the problem.

We have been known to get news before the papers did.

Petty name calling, regardless of who started it, is a deterrent to new members.

Yer seriously goin worse.:rolleyes:

Benipete 22-07-2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1004216)
Yer seriously goin worse.:rolleyes:

Still no flies on you then Cashy.:D:D