Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Accrington could lose a fire engine. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/accrington-could-lose-a-fire-engine-64578.html)

firefighter753 19-07-2013 11:47

Accrington could lose a fire engine.

This isn't good news

Accrington could lose fire engine as part of £5m cuts (From Lancashire Telegraph)

maxthecollie 19-07-2013 12:21

Re: Accrington could lose a fire engine.

This is our stupid government cutbacks again

Guinness 19-07-2013 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1067421)
This is our stupid government cutbacks again

What???? Honest Dave tellin' porkies....surely not :eek:

There'll be no cuts to frontline services under a Tory government, says Cameron The Tory Diary

Less 19-07-2013 14:26

Accrington could lose a fire engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1067437)

We have to consider where the front line is before he's called a liar.
Obviously anything North of Watford isn't front line and if I lived in Watford, well, cuts are cuts, half of Watford is North of Watford!

accyman 19-07-2013 16:30

not to worry folks the education system we are partly funding in china with foriegn aid and aid to other countries liek pakistan and india is secure

good to know that although lives in our area of people we may know may not be saved through lack of a fire engine that chinas education system isnt suffering

accyman 19-07-2013 16:37

Quote:

Miles Parkinson, who will chair Thursday’s meeting, said: “I cannot comment on unpublished proposals but I am sure the safety of the public will be maintained
yeah especially around nov 5th when its the quitest time of the year for the firebrigade:rolleyes:

maxthecollie 19-07-2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1067464)
yeah especially around nov 5th when its the quitest time of the year for the firebrigade:rolleyes:

Would he say that if he was still a firefighter?

cashman 19-07-2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1067482)

I really wonder if he would say that if P.B. wasn't saying he will fight to retain it?/ These people are that sodding childish, They aint fit to represent a bunch of bananas.:rolleyes:

Retlaw 19-07-2013 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1067484)
I really wonder if he would say that if P.B. wasn't saying he will fight to retain it?/ These people are that sodding childish, They aint fit to represent a bunch of bananas.:rolleyes:

Which leads to an old joke about councillors & politicians.
Comparing them to banana's going into storage.
They go in Green, turn Yellow, and come out bent.

Restless 19-07-2013 20:08

Me and my mate pulled into aldi carpark earlier. 'Oh whats going on I asked.' He parked the car and it seemed like nothing was going on at the aldi. Customers were coming and going as usual. Guy jumps out of a fire engine and enters aldi. The fire engine pulls away....

accyman 19-07-2013 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1067482)

i can guarentee you if he wasnt in power and it was tory council he would have serious concerns about safety of people in hyndburn

thats just how politics works you have to want or say teh opposite of whatever the opposition does

we already have a downgraded servive afte rit moved to hyndburn road,the shutting down of oswaldtwistle firestation and im not sure whats going on with great harwood firestation or if its still open or not

by the end of the next 10 years there will be a bucket of water perched on a rollerskate with fire engine written on it at this rate :rolleyes:

accyman 19-07-2013 20:54

still plenty of money for enviromental projects though so the windmills can fan teh flames of grass fires but no sod left to put them out

amazing how tehres alays money for pointless projects yet essential services get cut

Guinness 19-07-2013 21:16

Bucking the trend here, and stressing I ain't got any evidence or figures.

IF there are fewer callouts as suggested in the piece

and, most of us are more fire safety aware than our parents

and, only 20% of us are smokers (which I believe used to be the greatest cause of house fires)

and, there are very few chip pans knocking around nowadays.

I'm not decrying the bravery or dedication of the fire service..but, since cuts in services are inevitable....

Do we really need as many firemen and engines as we once did? Is this not a sensible saving as opposed to reducing the amount of care given to someone with late stage dementia or turning off the lamps in the town centre making policing more difficult leading to a possible increase in crime?

cashman 19-07-2013 21:20

There is no sense at all to me reducing services, whilst continuing to fully support foreign aid n the like.:( its the simple difference between right n wrong to many brits, was talking to 2 asian neighbours this morning n they were saying exactly the same.

accyman 19-07-2013 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1067495)
Bucking the trend here, and stressing I ain't got any evidence or figures.

IF there are fewer callouts as suggested in the piece

and, most of us are more fire safety aware than our parents

and, only 20% of us are smokers (which I believe used to be the greatest cause of house fires)

and, there are very few chip pans knocking around nowadays.

I'm not decrying the bravery or dedication of the fire service..but, since cuts in services are inevitable....

Do we really need as many firemen and engines as we once did? Is this not a sensible saving as opposed to reducing the amount of care given to someone with late stage dementia or turning off the lamps in the town centre making policing more difficult leading to a possible increase in crime?

so whats next then

not as many kids get run over outside school these days so remove speed cameras from near schools

perhaps there are less fires because these firemen get in their firetrucks and fit smoke alarms to houses and also do check on them if requested

im not been snotty here im not a fireman but theres a lot more goes on than just putting out fires and a lot of work goes into fire prevention

if heart attacks drop in occurance have we to expect even less ambulances ?

seems to me teh firebrigade has been hit as an easy targetthat people wont realise how much we need until its gone