Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2013, 11:47   #1

Accrington could lose a fire engine.

This isn't good news

Accrington could lose fire engine as part of £5m cuts (From Lancashire Telegraph)
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2013, 12:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington could lose a fire engine.

This is our stupid government cutbacks again
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 13:40   #3

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
This is our stupid government cutbacks again
What???? Honest Dave tellin' porkies....surely not

There'll be no cuts to frontline services under a Tory government, says Cameron The Tory Diary
Old 19-07-2013, 14:26   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Accrington could lose a fire engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
We have to consider where the front line is before he's called a liar.
Obviously anything North of Watford isn't front line and if I lived in Watford, well, cuts are cuts, half of Watford is North of Watford!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 16:30   #5
God Member

not to worry folks the education system we are partly funding in china with foriegn aid and aid to other countries liek pakistan and india is secure

good to know that although lives in our area of people we may know may not be saved through lack of a fire engine that chinas education system isnt suffering
cashman and pallyman like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 16:37   #6
God Member

Quote:
Miles Parkinson, who will chair Thursday’s meeting, said: “I cannot comment on unpublished proposals but I am sure the safety of the public will be maintained
yeah especially around nov 5th when its the quitest time of the year for the firebrigade

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 19-07-2013, 19:22   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
yeah especially around nov 5th when its the quitest time of the year for the firebrigade
Would he say that if he was still a firefighter?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 19:29   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I really wonder if he would say that if P.B. wasn't saying he will fight to retain it?/ These people are that sodding childish, They aint fit to represent a bunch of bananas.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 19-07-2013, 19:52   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I really wonder if he would say that if P.B. wasn't saying he will fight to retain it?/ These people are that sodding childish, They aint fit to represent a bunch of bananas.
Which leads to an old joke about councillors & politicians.
Comparing them to banana's going into storage.
They go in Green, turn Yellow, and come out bent.
MargaretR and Alan Varrechia like this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 19-07-2013 at 19:54.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:08   #10
Senior Member+

Me and my mate pulled into aldi carpark earlier. 'Oh whats going on I asked.' He parked the car and it seemed like nothing was going on at the aldi. Customers were coming and going as usual. Guy jumps out of a fire engine and enters aldi. The fire engine pulls away....
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:50   #11
God Member

Quote:

i can guarentee you if he wasnt in power and it was tory council he would have serious concerns about safety of people in hyndburn

thats just how politics works you have to want or say teh opposite of whatever the opposition does

we already have a downgraded servive afte rit moved to hyndburn road,the shutting down of oswaldtwistle firestation and im not sure whats going on with great harwood firestation or if its still open or not

by the end of the next 10 years there will be a bucket of water perched on a rollerskate with fire engine written on it at this rate
maxthecollie likes this.

Old 19-07-2013, 20:54   #12
God Member

still plenty of money for enviromental projects though so the windmills can fan teh flames of grass fires but no sod left to put them out

amazing how tehres alays money for pointless projects yet essential services get cut

Old 19-07-2013, 21:16   #13

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Bucking the trend here, and stressing I ain't got any evidence or figures.

IF there are fewer callouts as suggested in the piece

and, most of us are more fire safety aware than our parents

and, only 20% of us are smokers (which I believe used to be the greatest cause of house fires)

and, there are very few chip pans knocking around nowadays.

I'm not decrying the bravery or dedication of the fire service..but, since cuts in services are inevitable....

Do we really need as many firemen and engines as we once did? Is this not a sensible saving as opposed to reducing the amount of care given to someone with late stage dementia or turning off the lamps in the town centre making policing more difficult leading to a possible increase in crime?
GEaston likes this.
Old 19-07-2013, 21:20   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

There is no sense at all to me reducing services, whilst continuing to fully support foreign aid n the like. its the simple difference between right n wrong to many brits, was talking to 2 asian neighbours this morning n they were saying exactly the same.
accyman likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 19-07-2013 at 21:22.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 21:26   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Bucking the trend here, and stressing I ain't got any evidence or figures.

IF there are fewer callouts as suggested in the piece

and, most of us are more fire safety aware than our parents

and, only 20% of us are smokers (which I believe used to be the greatest cause of house fires)

and, there are very few chip pans knocking around nowadays.

I'm not decrying the bravery or dedication of the fire service..but, since cuts in services are inevitable....

Do we really need as many firemen and engines as we once did? Is this not a sensible saving as opposed to reducing the amount of care given to someone with late stage dementia or turning off the lamps in the town centre making policing more difficult leading to a possible increase in crime?

so whats next then

not as many kids get run over outside school these days so remove speed cameras from near schools

perhaps there are less fires because these firemen get in their firetrucks and fit smoke alarms to houses and also do check on them if requested

im not been snotty here im not a fireman but theres a lot more goes on than just putting out fires and a lot of work goes into fire prevention

if heart attacks drop in occurance have we to expect even less ambulances ?

seems to me teh firebrigade has been hit as an easy targetthat people wont realise how much we need until its gone
cashman likes this.

Last edited by accyman; 19-07-2013 at 21:29.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..