Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2013, 22:38   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Ramadan Mubarak

Saw something on twitter the other day regarding mosques being bombed in the midlands. The guy said wasn't it strange that this wasn't headlined as a terrorist attack.

Suspected bomb found near Wolverhampton mosque | UK news | guardian.co.uk

After all if a muslim had bombed a church, it would have been headlined terrorism, centre page spreads of victims, relatives and google earth views. Yet it's pretty much a buried story, amongst the queen wanting a holiday so kate better drop soon and the possibility of hosepipe bans.

Couple of guys who work with me are involved in the following..

Special foodbank set up in Hyndburn during Ramadhan (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Devout muslims...Ramadan knackered them big style last year..this year it's longer, hotter and although its early days yet, they still get into work.

Crazy, stupid, add your own descriptions..but I kinda envy them their faith.

Whatever..it's a good gesture to the local community at large, and in my opinion deserves a mention.

Last edited by Guinness; 19-07-2013 at 22:42.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2013, 14:56   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Ramadan Mubarak

Yes, I saw it on the news and as a white male over sixty middle class, (middle class? Well I must be I'm not working, so I can't be working class), that preys upon this site, putting forward my blinkered views, may I just say that is as abhorrent to me as the London bombings.

Why it doesn't deserve front page news is beyond me.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:30   #3
God Member

just a quick question - when they say explosive device found near a mosque do they mean right outside it or in a church a few yards down the road ?

never really specific for all we know teh mosque may not have been the target the bomb could have been near a chippy that someone is upset about its lumpy gravy for example

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:46   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
just a quick question - when they say explosive device found near a mosque do they mean right outside it or in a church a few yards down the road ?

never really specific for all we know teh mosque may not have been the target the bomb could have been near a chippy that someone is upset about its lumpy gravy for example
Have to say, a bomb placed in most towns, would no doubt be near a mosque.
jaysay, Eric and walkinman221 like this.
Old 21-07-2013, 20:00   #5
God Member

Whenever folks start to feel warm and fuzzy towards Islam, stuff like this hits the news:

Norwegian raped in Dubai gets jail sentence - World - CBC News

It's a pointed reminder that the greatest threat to our way of life, our belief in free speech, freedom of religion, a belief that women are actually human beings wothy of holding drivers licences and public office, etc, etc, is the religion of peace, love, and public beheadings. If only muslims would stop shoving their religion in our faces and, instead, shove it where the sun don't shine. I for one aint holding my breath. I'm not opposed to freedom of religion; it's that I just don't care what folks believe as long I am free to state my opinion one way or another without being labelled a blasphemer, a racist, or an Islamaphobe.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 18:17   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Whenever folks start to feel warm and fuzzy towards Islam, stuff like this hits the news:

Norwegian raped in Dubai gets jail sentence - World - CBC News

It's a pointed reminder that the greatest threat to our way of life, our belief in free speech, freedom of religion, a belief that women are actually human beings wothy of holding drivers licences and public office, etc, etc, is the religion of peace, love, and public beheadings. If only muslims would stop shoving their religion in our faces and, instead, shove it where the sun don't shine. I for one aint holding my breath. I'm not opposed to freedom of religion; it's that I just don't care what folks believe as long I am free to state my opinion one way or another without being labelled a blasphemer, a racist, or an Islamaphobe.
Not all Muslim countries don't allow women to drive, or hold Public Office.
Old 22-07-2013, 18:22   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Well after Thatcher i reckon we should.
Old 22-07-2013, 18:29   #8
Beacon of light

Cashy, we aren't all like her.
Anyway, I think she was a fella in drag........someone once told me that she had cojones!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 19:14   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It might surprize you to learn that I am not unaware of that ... just think of it as a metaphor, loosely based on fact, employed for rhetorical purposes. Perhaps I should have mentioned Saudi Arabia on the driving thingy ... and also pointed out that Afghanistan sent a grand total of 0 female athletes to the Olympics ... though I do hear that several women were employed as punching bags by the Afghani boxing team And I don't expect Islamic states to be as tolerant as us folks in Ontario, where we accept, most of us without thinking about it, a female, openly gay Premier. By the way, she is despised by many because she is a Liberal ... our tolerance does have limits.

I do think though, that muslim leaders, and muslims in general, have to make a greater effort to distance themselves from the Islamic nutbars. And they have to realize that most of the rest of us really don't give a flying you-know-what about their religion. We don't care. We don't want to hear about it day after day. Religion should be a private thing.

By the way, the yanks could tone down their Jeeeezuusss saves crap. But that's a whole 'nother topic.
cashman likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 19:24   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I do think though, that muslim leaders, and muslims in general, have to make a greater effort to distance themselves from the Islamic nutbars.
Eric, anyone can pay lip service to an ideology...and many do.....what sets apart those who really mean what they say, is that they do something concrete about the problem.

They should hand over to the authorities, the men from their community who abuse young and vulnerable girls, branding them and selling their bodies to other men in their community....they should shop those radical men who go abroad to Pakistan to learn how to build bombs, but think it is just fine to draw benefits in our country.

It is no good at all to fast over the period of Ramadan, to give food and money to the poor, to do good deeds, and pretend that this makes you devout, if all the while you are turning a blind eye to the evil in the midst of your community.
Actions are understood without a single word being uttered.
Actions are what count!
Eric likes this.
Old 22-07-2013, 22:19   #11
God Member

well some ilsam folk want and have managed to get sharia law merged into our legal system

notice they dont push for teh execution of pedophiles though which is sharia laws way of dealing with them

not as though islam has a problem with pedos and grooming is it ?
BERNADETTE likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 23-07-2013, 06:09   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
well some ilsam folk want and have managed to get sharia law merged into our legal system

notice they dont push for teh execution of pedophiles though which is sharia laws way of dealing with them

not as though islam has a problem with pedos and grooming is it ?
The thing is Accyman, the men would not be to blame.....it would be the girls who were stoned...executed for leading good muslim men stray.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 23-07-2013, 06:22   #13

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Wow!, a few local guys do something to help the community and the thread is turning dark.

Most of these guys are just ordinary people who have about as much chance of influencing their leaders as we have of influencing Graham Jones or the election of the next pope

Any chance it could be seen for the simple gesture that it is as opposed to the first step in global domination.
Old 23-07-2013, 06:49   #14
Beacon of light

I don't really think the thread is turning dark at all.
While these people who are giving of their charity, (and it is to be recognised)....communities do need to act on those in their midst who bring disrepute to all muslims.
Doing something that your religion requires of you is not really charity...charity is doing something which may go against your religion....swimming against the tide.
Old 23-07-2013, 10:25   #15
God Member

guinness you mention two things in your starting post ,bombs near mosques and a bit of charity work so no one has turned the thread dark they are merely commenting on the fist topic of choice

why no one has mentioned much about a liitle bit of charity work for muslims is probbably because no one gives a stuff about ramadamadingdong

infact your 1st post seems to be more concerned as to why putting a bomb near a mosque isnt called terrorism yet putting one near a church is

maybe you coulda gotten 2 threads out of it with two questions and two totally different conversations

just sayin like lol

Last edited by accyman; 23-07-2013 at 10:28.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..