Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2013, 10:58   #16
God Member

Re: Ramadan Mubarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Wow!, a few local guys do something to help the community and the thread is turning dark.

Most of these guys are just ordinary people who have about as much chance of influencing their leaders as we have of influencing Graham Jones or the election of the next pope

Any chance it could be seen for the simple gesture that it is as opposed to the first step in global domination.
I can accept your point, bud. And I don't doubt that millions of muslims world wide are decent folks. But the problem is ... and it explodes over our 52 inch flat screens every day, is that Islam is a threat to all we have struggled for ... freedom of speech ... equality ... tolerance ... etc., etc. ,etc.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2013, 15:31   #17

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Doing something that your religion requires of you is not really charity...charity is doing something which may go against your religion....swimming against the tide.
Could be that is exactly what is happening here Margaret, after all how many times is it quoted that muslims want to kill all who do not follow the one religion and yet here we have them helping less fortunate locals regardless of religion or lack of.

Personally I just see this as a nice gesture that should be applauded for what it is.
Old 23-07-2013, 16:44   #18
Beacon of light

Gestures are only gestures...and these are required of them by their religion......I would be much more impressed by actions I have stated in my previous posts.......this does not demean what these muslims have done...nor does it make me islamophobic, racist or any other label that some folk would like to slap on those who see things from a different perspective, often with the desire of stifling healthy debate.

I have worked with all colours and creeds.......I respect those who have shown that they deserve my respect, by their actions which reflect my own values. I despise those who pretend to respect me and this country, but then go all out to kill those who are not of their faith.(7/7 and 9/11 spring to mind)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 16:59   #19

I'm totally surprised that two Ukranians should come to England to plant bombs near mosques and murder a muslim.

What possible motive could they have?
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 17:04   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I'm totally surprised that two Ukranians should come to England to plant bombs near mosques and murder a muslim.

What possible motive could they have?
Well possibly Russia of which some Ukrainians are still fond of, has had no end of trouble with Islamic Rebels from Chechnia n the like?
Old 23-07-2013, 17:05   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Ramadan Mubarak

You mention respect Margaret, shouldn't we respect the fact that some a trying?
They may be ****ing into the wind of the majority, but it's a start, perhaps encouragement rather than scepticism could get others to join them?
Who knows? If we give them a chance, after all about three generations have been here since they were offered a land of milk and honey, a big lie, most HAVE worked to improve, we see industrious Asians and can't be arsed whites.
Which are worse for the economy?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 18:56   #22
Beacon of light

To be honest, I think thay have had lots of chances. And I have tried over many years to avoid being a cynic, but situations and life has conspired against me so that now I consider myself a realist
Of course the lazy can't be bothered whites are worse for ther economy, but in some situations the deck has been stacked against the white folk...which is just plain wrong, causes serious resentment and problems.

Community cohesion is much trumpeted, but it is just another PC soundbite that means very very little in the grand scheme of things.

I sure am glad that Mr Easton isn't about or he would be slating me for being negative, white and over 60.
Less, Guinness, xavtia and 1 others like this.
Old 28-07-2013, 20:23   #23

No need for me to argue with you. You summed yourself up well although a realist you are not.

And yes a sensible point about a charitable act will likely turn to a dark thread just as night follows day.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 21:33   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
No need for me to argue with you. You summed yourself up well although a realist you are not.

And yes a sensible point about a charitable act will likely turn to a dark thread just as night follows day.
Any thread you contribute too, turns dark pretty quickly.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:59   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
How would you know?
You know very little about me....you just assume you know me.

I like charitable acts...but those that are done in the true spirit of charity......without the need to trumpet them all over the place...or the need to have to have done something good, because your religion requires it of you.
I like the charity that continues to give when giving is hard...the widows mite springs to mind.
Those who have much can give much and it doesn't deserve the name charity....those who have very little, but still give...now those are the heroes, even better when they tell no-one that they do it.
Less likes this.
Old 29-07-2013, 09:40   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Any thread you contribute too, turns dark pretty quickly.
Oh Cashy, you are going to be the next one that he accuses of libelling him and he will no doubt be issuing instructions to his lawyers to initiate legal proceedings against you But you must be patient, I am still waiting to hear from his legal team

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..