Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Labour Party (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/labour-party-68343.html)

cashman 26-06-2016 07:52

Labour Party

Seems the brexit mess has brought the slugs outa the hole, Corbyn love or hate is a democratically elected leader by the grass roots membership, most of the sickly "Blairite" M.P.s have never been behind the guy, and therefore do NOT give a toss about what the voters think. after a lifetime of voting Labour, sadly I will Never again do so,in a General Election, the proof is there that the voters are being completely ignored.:mad:

Margaret Pilkington 26-06-2016 09:31

Re: Labour Party

If Jeremy Corbyn had been honest about his feelings on the EU, then I think that he would have been considered a 'principled man' but he did not stay true to his heart......he(tepidly) endorsed the remain vote...and it did not fit with his previous opinions.
I think many of the grass roots who voted this man ito the leadership role thought he was going to be something different...he was going to follow his convictions regardless of the thoughts of others and he hasn't done this.

I think he will probably have to resign in the coming days.......he has not lived up to the Labour party grass roots expectations.

cashman 26-06-2016 09:43

That may well happen, but my point is the slugs have been anti-corbyn from the offset, and thus have completely ignored the wishes of ordinary members, whilst thing may well have changed, the fact they no longer represent the ordinary supporter, as proved to me locally in this referendum, means i have finished completely with the National Labour Party. perhaps one day if they return to doing so, i may just change my view, but not holding my breath.

Margaret Pilkington 26-06-2016 12:39

c'mom Cashy......they're politicians...what do you expect from them?
They are all in it for themselves...for what they can get. They are only interested in how high they can climb up the career ladder(although I think the exception might have been Jo Cox...there has to be an exception to test the rule).

cashman 26-06-2016 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171195)
c'mom Cashy......they're politicians...what do you expect from them?
They are all in it for themselves...for what they can get. They are only interested in how high they can climb up the career ladder(although I think the exception might have been Jo Cox...there has to be an exception to test the rule).

Quite possibly she was, Ken Hargreaves also was though i never voted for him, i had great respect, but from what i experienced the referendum opinions were blatantly ignored and as far as i'm concerned thats too much to ignore.

cashman 26-06-2016 12:59

https://www.facebook.com/topic/David...93413308659The M.P. for Tottenham has called on Parliment to reject the referendum result, thats how out of touch Labour are, seems to me they have learnt to completely ignore democracy.:mad:

DaveinGermany 26-06-2016 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1171197)
M.P. for Tottenham has called on Parliment to reject the referendum result, thats how out of touch Labour are, seems to me they have learnt to completely ignore democracy.:mad:

It goes back quite aways with the Labour party it seems, Blair going to war illegally despite massive protest, Brown signing away our liberties via the Lisbon treaty. Mind you it's not solely a labour disease, the Tories have been just as bad at ignoring the general consensus & public wishes too.

It's more prominent with labour as the left really do enjoy rubbing peoples noses in it, whereas the centre right are just generally callous via arrogance.

cashman 26-06-2016 13:29

Oh the torys have been as bad dave, point is i have been Labour all my life, and sadly they have destroyed this.:(

Margaret Pilkington 26-06-2016 14:15

Cashy...you are what is termed 'collateral damage' and the Labour party do not care one jot about people like you......and have not cared for quite a long time.

cashman 26-06-2016 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171211)
Cashy...you are what is termed 'collateral damage' and the Labour party do not care one jot about people like you......and have not cared for quite a long time.

Well aware Margaret, the penny has dropped.;)

cashman 26-06-2016 20:24

Seems they are resigning in droves "Good Riddance" they never agreed with the democratic decision to appoint the leader, another example of ignoring the grass roots, and if i'm not mistaken, our own M.P. never supported him either, if thats the case i think he should follow suit and sling his hook.

accyman 26-06-2016 21:27

The labour party is in deep trouble as we ourselves have a labour MP that the vast majority of Hyndburn does not agree with yet he still maintains we are wrong over the EU

how can we continue to vote for a man who does not have the same interest as the vast majority of his constituents especially in a position where he will be debating issues over dealing with Europe

if the labour party wants to live up to its reputation as been the party of the people then they need to start putting candidates up for election that the people can identify with especially on big issues such as Europe

our MP has been proven wrong at every turn over the EU and the people of Hyndburn's feelings over it

Like i said in another thread we need Mps that put the UK first and most of all believe in the UK and its people

Eric 26-06-2016 22:07

I think that politicians of both parties woke up Friday morning to face a horror they had not expected. The "British Voter" was no longer merely a phrase to be trotted out in bs speeches. The "British Voter" was "real people." Not only that, these real people actually had opinions of their own, ones which ran counter to their own. Maybe this referendum has produced a monster (for politicians anyway) ... A voter who takes the principles and practices of democracy seriously. Hey Margaret, there's hope for democracy yet, hon.;)

Margaret Pilkington 27-06-2016 05:55

Yes Eric, maybe now they might just take time to listen to the concerns of the 'little' people.....and I do not mean dwarves, I mean the people who pay them to represent their interests.
For so long now the political parties have treated the electorate like children in Victorian times...to be seen, but not heard.

Jim Procter 27-06-2016 08:03

Z think that during the referendum campaign Corbyn was secretly a Leave supporter who could not speak his mind because he was following the party line. He came across to me as not a bit bit enthusiastic for the Remain campaign.Thats my opinion of the Labour leader

cashman 27-06-2016 08:08

Probably not far off the mark yon jim imho

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 08:14

Corbyn has been a total disaster as Labour leader. He's been touted as a man who sticks to his principles, yet he didn't even have the guts to stand up for what he believed in during the Referendum campaign - some principles! Now he's reshuffling his cabinet by promoting people like Emily Thornberry and Dianne Abbott - condescending, Hampstead Heath chattering class members who are EXACTLY the reason why ordinary people feel so alienated from the Labour party.

cashman 27-06-2016 08:18

Agree he aint been great, but elected by the people simple as, many have been against him from the start including you steve, which to me is pathetic, yer sounding like a Tory to me mate.:rolleyes: Plus it aint him that me @ many i speak to have been alienated its the likes of the gob****es that have quit.

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 08:25

Elected by "the people"? What "people"? The Labour party members are NOT the electorate. The great mass of ordinary people are the ones Corbyn has to convince and he hasn't. As for being a Tory, I would imagine most Tories are praying for Corbyn to stay in charge, because that's their best hope of winning the next election!

cashman 27-06-2016 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1171261)
Elected by "the people"? What "people"? The Labour party members are NOT the electorate. The great mass of ordinary people are the ones Corbyn has to convince and he hasn't. As for being a Tory, I would imagine most Tories are praying for Corbyn to stay in charge, because that's their best hope of winning the next election!

Yes the members of the Labour Party, of which i used to be. What people you say? thats as arrogant as it come imho Why should anyone who aint a member be allowed a vote explain that?

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 08:30

They're not the people who are going to decide on the next government - simple as.

cashman 27-06-2016 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1171265)
They're not the people who are going to decide on the next government - simple as.

Well to be honest i would prefer Torys than your Labour. may not be perfect but at least labour let the supporters vote.

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 08:35

Ok, well, you'll probably get 'em the way the Labour party's going.

cashman 27-06-2016 08:38

Yer sounding like the "Blairites" instead of accepting a democratic result and just bitching, i find that really pathetic. Its people like that, that got Corbyn elected in my view.Ordinary people were sick to the back teeth of it, you may accept it, but i never will.

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 08:41

The REAL democratic result will be the result out in the country at the time of the next election.

cashman 27-06-2016 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1171270)
The REAL democratic result will be the result out in the country at the time of the next election.

it will it always is, like it or lump it thats democracy.

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 08:45

I agree.

Margaret Pilkington 27-06-2016 11:00

people joined the labour party in droves(this always caused me some concern - yes I know Iam a cynical old baggage) so that they could vote on the leadership issue....now who is to say that these were REALLY supporters of the Labour Party and not planted to make for a leader that was considered to be unelectable at a general election....i know this sounds very 'conspiracy' like, but it IS possible.
He has divided the party and that is never a good thing.

Many people who vote Labour are not members of the Labour party.......but they are the ones who ultimately decide on who is going to be in power......so in essence Steve is right.

It is like this petition to make to government debate a second referendum....who is to say that those who are signing it are not disgruntled Remain voters(and I know that 77,000 votes have been discarded as fraudulent) who hope for a second bite at the cherry...and all those who are portrayed to be regretting voting to leave....the question could not have been clearer, so what did they think they were voting for?

cashman 27-06-2016 11:04

I voted against a completely corrupt organisation, i have said before,when did the auditors last sign off the E.U. accounts,? I'm amazed this important point was NEVER focused on by any of em, I wonder why?:confused:

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171281)
Many people who vote Labour are not members of the Labour party.......but they are the ones who ultimately decide on who is going to be in power......so in essence Steve is right.

Thanks, Margaret. Exactly my point!

cashman 27-06-2016 11:44

Utter rubbish, should everyone get a vote on who is Tory Leader or any other party? never heard such nonsense.:rolleyes: people who can be bothered to pay the membership fees are the only ones who should vote,

Margaret Pilkington 27-06-2016 11:45

You are welcome Steve.

Margaret Pilkington 27-06-2016 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1171284)
Utter rubbish, should everyone get a vote on who is Tory Leader or any other party? never heard such nonsense.:rolleyes: people who can be bothered to pay the membership fees are the only ones who should vote,

When the labour leadership became vacant and the candidates were put up, there were droves of people joining the Labour Party....paying their three quid just for the privilege of voting(for Jeremy Corbyn).....but who is to say that these were bona fide labour supporters.
They may not even have ever voted labour. They may have wanted to divide the Labour Party.....a divided party is not one that is easily electable.....and does not form a sound opposition.

cashman 27-06-2016 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171287)
When the labour leadership became vacant and the candidates were put up, there were droves of people joining the Labour Party....paying their three quid just for the privilege of voting(for Jeremy Corbyn).....but who is to say that these were bona fide labour supporters.
They may not even have ever voted labour. They may have wanted to divide the Labour Party.....a divided party is not one that is easily electable.....and does not form a sound opposition.

If thats what happened it would be a damn shame, i don't believe for 1 min that was the case,the only people i see who want to divide are those quitters and those who support this,

Wynonie Harris 27-06-2016 11:56

Quote:

Internal leadership elections are up to each political party to sort out. But in the final analysis, the general election is the one that REALLY counts and, in my opinion, Corbyn hasn't got what it takes to win one, no matter how highly his rank-and-file members may think of him.

Margaret Pilkington 27-06-2016 12:01

I am not saying that people who joined the Labour Party at that time did so out of any reason than to be a labour supporter......but it is suspicious when a rank outsider is put up for leadership(and he WAS a rank outsider) and suddenly thousands of people are paying three quid so that they can cast a vote in the leadership election.
I would not join any political party so tha I could vote for a leader.....but looking at how things have gone it does seem plausible.
Labour are unelectable under the current leadership.

Margaret Pilkington 27-06-2016 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1171288)
If thats what happened it would be a damn shame, i don't believe for 1 min that was the case,the only people i see who want to divide are those quitters and those who support this,

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that there were people out there who could see that by dividing a party, it would weaken it and make it less viable at a general election.
Heck if I can see this, then certainly others in a position to influence things could see it......and it was what sprang to my mind at the time.....like I say, I am a cynical old baggage.

cashman 27-06-2016 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171291)
It is not beyond the realms of possibility that there were people out there who could see that by dividing a party, it would weaken it and make it less viable at a general election.
Heck if I can see this, then certainly others in a position to influence things could see it......and it was what sprang to my mind at the time.....like I say, I am a cynical old baggage.

Not in my eyes people were thoroughly sick of what the Labour Party had become, anyone that wasn't is a closet Tory in my book,

Jim Procter 27-06-2016 12:54

No one has mentioned that the Trade Unions back Corbyn 100 per cent

cashman 27-06-2016 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1171293)
No one has mentioned that the Trade Unions back Corbyn 100 per cent

They wont jim, its become a media circus i think, the only thing is itssplitting the party even more.

Barrie Yates 27-06-2016 15:44

Quote:

Quite correct Cashy, there was talk that many Tories willingly paid the Labour Party Membership fee in order that they could vote for Corbyn in order to create chaos inthe Labour Party - if that is true they appear to have succeeded;)

cashman 27-06-2016 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1171303)
Quite correct Cashy, there was talk that many Tories willingly paid the Labour Party Membership fee in order that they could vote for Corbyn in order to create chaos inthe Labour Party - if that is true they appear to have succeeded;)

Yeh i heard the same Barrie, suspect it was deliberate stirring.To me the Blairites have destroyed the party.to their own ends.:rolleyes:

cashman 29-06-2016 19:41

Another brilliant tweet from G.J. "However many leadership elections it takes we must return the party to the 9.5 M Labour Voters" He seems to have 95 on the brain? but how stupid is that? Graham and his vipers are the reason most of the labour voters did a runner imho not Corbyn. That statement must mean that if Corbyn stands and is re-elected they are going to ignore the will of the Labour members Yet again. DISGRACEFUL

JCB 29-06-2016 20:34

I doubt Graham Jones will be in Parliament much longer .

With the present shambles in the Labour Party , and a forthcoming General Election with a new Tory leader , I can see 1983 repeating itself .

A Conservative government with a large majority .

Hyndburn with a Conservative MP .

cashman 29-06-2016 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1171481)
I doubt Graham Jones will be in Parliament much longer .

With the present shambles in the Labour Party , and a forthcoming General Election with a new Tory leader , I can see 1983 repeating itself .

A Conservative government with a large majority .

Hyndburn with a Conservative MP .

Unfortunately yeh may be right on the mark wi that JCB Mind even though i never voted for him A.Davidson i didn't find a bad bloke at all. and he wasn't a local chap either.

JCB 29-06-2016 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1171483)
Unfortunately yeh may be right on the mark wi that JCB Mind even though i never voted for him A.Davidson i didn't find a bad bloke at all. and he wasn't a local chap either.

Arthur Davidson was our Labour MP (1966-1983) , Cashman .

He was a barrister , and I know quite a few in Accrington who benefited from his skills as a barrister/MP .

He cut his political teeth working for Bessie Braddock in Liverpool .

Last time I saw him he was in the Willow Mount with Greg Pope who was putting up for election .

cashman 29-06-2016 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1171485)
Arthur Davidson was our Labour MP (1966-1983) , Cashman .

He was a barrister , and I know quite a few in Accrington who benefited from his skills as a barrister/MP .

He cut his political teeth working for Bessie Braddock in Liverpool .

Last time I saw him he was in the Willow Mount with Greg Pope who was putting up for election .

Yeh i know mate, i was part of a small deputation that went down the commons to lobby him, early 70s, found him a top geezer.;) he actually did take a bit of notice of his constituents.

Guinness 01-07-2016 12:47

Our Graham has come in for some flak on twitter after claiming that Corbyn supporters were a mob...the young, pensioners, foster carers, his own constituents to name a few have been hammering him.

Of course he's claimed that he has a mandate of 9.5million voters (he loves to quote those two digits doesn't he?) whilst Corbyn only had a couple of hundred thousand.

Can I just say that using his logic he shouldn't even be in parliament because 57.9% of votes in Hyndburn were not for him

I got a hashtag for him

#Embarrassment

cashman 01-07-2016 12:59

He has brought it on himself, never supporting Corbyn and ignoring the Labour grass roots, also using his logic from his twitter comments, he dont know the meaning of Democracy not Corbyn.:rolleyes:

Laatab 01-07-2016 16:51

Hi, I'm a local Labour party member and supporter of Jeremy Corbryn. I've just this afternoon been reading through this thread and your interesting discussion. It occurred to me that actually many people have only seen Jeremy through the lens of the Main Stream Media (MSM) which in my opinion is toxic towards people who speak out against the established political status quo. To put it mildly, if Jeremy mentioned he was looking forward to Christmas the MSM would headline as "Jeremy Corbryn Still Believes In Santa" and when they say he's unelectable what they mean is "he cant be bought". I've posted a link to a video of Jeremy that I think portrays him as he truly is and hope you take the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfDnt8bEWc

Very best wishes

Laa

cashman 01-07-2016 17:56

Our own M.P. should watch this, then go join the Tory party, were really he belongs,:rolleyes:

Less 01-07-2016 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171572)
Hi, I'm a local Labour party member and supporter of Jeremy Corbryn. I've just this afternoon been reading through this thread and your interesting discussion. It occurred to me that actually many people have only seen Jeremy through the lens of the Main Stream Media (MSM) which in my opinion is toxic towards people who speak out against the established political status quo. To put it mildly, if Jeremy mentioned he was looking forward to Christmas the MSM would headline as "Jeremy Corbryn Still Believes In Santa" and when they say he's unelectable what they mean is "he cant be bought". I've posted a link to a video of Jeremy that I think portrays him as he truly is and hope you take the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfDnt8bEWc

Very best wishes

Laa

Please explain, at which point should I forgive him?

When he became 'the leader', I thought, at last back to grassroots, then (it's a big then), he lost me and several other ex supporters of the labour party by saying let's stay in. I would have followed him anywhere until his coat turned against all he had said, now he has proved himself to be nothing more than a politician, had he stuck to being out he perhaps could be the P.M. next time around, as it is, I want a P.M. of any party that will truly support the U.K. before all else.

Margaret Pilkington 01-07-2016 18:57

So he can't be bought.....but he can be turned.
He was never ever a supporter of the EU......and yet he was supposed to be leading the remain group of the Labour Party......he did this against his principles and it showed.
All the political parties are guilty of ignoring the views and concerns of the electorate.
The Labour Party presided over uncontrolled immigration in an aim to extend the voting base.....what a cynical ploy....and it has affected the fabric of this country, it has been one of the reasons why dyed in the wool supporters gave up on the party.

there has been a feeling in the country of political apathy.
Politicians have constantly lied to the electorate(all parties are guilty of this)....they have promised things in order to get votes and then done what they thought was best for us.
I don't believe everything I read in the papers, but I do know that Jeremy Corbyn has not been good for the Labour Party (he is not an effective leader....he can't keep his own MP's in line)and has not provided an effective opposition.

Margaret Pilkington 01-07-2016 19:23

As for the video...all he is doing is parroting politician speak(it wasn't our fault your honour).
He is chewing over what has been chewed over many times in the past and spat out as being pap.
The Labour party were in power for a damn long time...did they make life better for the ordinary man in the street?
The presided over the unmitigated disaster that was open door immigration( they did not listen to the concerns of the electorate),they spent money they did not have, they increased the dependence of those on welfare(I guess they figured that if someone was on benefits they were likely to vote for those that gave them those benefits).
Tony Blair said something like 'tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime'.....they tried to bamboozle the electorate into thinking this strategy worked when all they had actually done was fudge the statistics(changing the way crimes were reported made it look as though crime had fallen).
So when the coalition government came to power there was a joke left in a Palace of Westmisnster drawer...it said 'there is no money'.......some joke that was.
It could be argued that no -one could make a worse fist of it than Ed Milliband...yet Jeremy Corbyn has. He has not united the Labour Party...in fact he has probably done more damage than any other politician I can bring to mind.
Ah, you say it isn't him...it is his unsupportive MP's.
A leader should have the wherewithal to bring MP's in the party into line.......he has been unable to get the majority of the MP's on his side.......and I know that in a general election it isn't the MP's who are voting...it is the electorate...but would you have confidence to elect a leader who cannot keep his own Mp's in order?
Because I surely could not!

Less 01-07-2016 19:53

Wow!

cashman 01-07-2016 19:55

The majority of M.P.s were never behind corbyn from the start, the reason being he spoke up for the working people, like Labour was supposed to do, ok i say he aint done a good job, but please explain how anyone can bring torys in labour clothing into line, by going against him yer going against all Labour ever used to stand for imho. siding with the vipers and the London based media is very sad imho.:(

Margaret Pilkington 01-07-2016 20:05

I really don't know Cashy, but leaders have to be capable of leading.....they have to have the gravitas that underlines their authority......and he hasn't got that skill.

If you know that you have taken on something which is far bigger than you have the ability to cope with then you do the moral thing and make way for someone who can do what you can't.

It may seem like betraying those Labour Party members which voted him into this post, but surely that is better than watching the party implode......with all the consequences that such an action has.
His holding on, makes the party unelectable. It makes it look ridiculous.

Less 01-07-2016 20:27

We have often talked on here about how M.P.s of any party tow the line rather than look to what their constituents desire them to do.
Maybe we should start our own group, (notice, not party) a group that is prepared to welcome folk from any background that are prepared to listen to all members of the U.K. prepared to stand for us all before any form of party allegiances, a group that supports the people, to move us all forward no matter which way we voted in the referendum, a group able to say this is what the people we represent wants therefore this is what we will support.
No longer voting in one direction because a parties leaders say you must or else.
Yes I know, it won't happen but a

A group for the United Kingdom before all others, however allowing all others ie all across the channel to work just as hard for their own way of life without them ruining ours.

cashman 01-07-2016 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171588)
I really don't know Cashy, but leaders have to be capable of leading.....they have to have the gravitas that underlines their authority......and he hasn't got that skill.

If you know that you have taken on something which is far bigger than you have the ability to cope with then you do the moral thing and make way for someone who can do what you can't.

It may seem like betraying those Labour Party members which voted him into this post, but surely that is better than watching the party implode......with all the consequences that such an action has.
His holding on, makes the party unelectable. It makes it look ridiculous.

Whats ridiculous to me is Corbyn was democratically elected and the simple fact these VIPERS would not accept the fact, I honestly think that fact he would be accepted is beyond question, the fact he was from the left of the party, the left who always looked towards the ordinary people is unacceptable to scum like them, the vested interests of Vipers has come first, it seems to me people are not grasping that fact, the grass roots voted him in i believe NOT because of what the London Based press said, but cos ordinary people were sick to the back teeth of em, personally i would rather Labour be un-electable than this scum represent me.

Guinness 01-07-2016 21:34

There is some real tripe being posted here..

Tony Blair did NOT represent grass roots labour supporters. He's a damn war criminal, so is Jack Straw who our own MP constantly retweets becauseof his anti Corbyn stance.

Isn't it a national trait of the English to stand up against bullies, no matter how many of them there are? Isn't that what Corbyn is doing? Standing up to the 172 'jobs for the boys labour MP's' who are now quaking in their boots and dithering over asking for another leadership election, in case they end up with egg on their face.

Corbyn has not made a fist of anything...he's done no different than our own MP who is on record as stating 'I'm voting remain, but I really want to leave', neither did I see the Jones boy out campaigning on the streets for remain....funny I don't see anyone in the national media or the PLP calling for his head

People on this site have been calling for an overhaul of political parties for years..this is a chance to stick it to people like Jones who put their own career above the people who voted him in

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 05:24

I think that many people will agree with you Guinness.
Tony Blair was a Tory in all but name. A champagne socialist...except he was not anything like a socialist.
Yes, I also believe he is a war criminal.....and should be dealt with as such.

Yes Cashy, I know that Jeremy Corbyn was elected by people who purported to be supporters of the Labour Party.
My point is...if the MP's are against the leader in the way that they obviously are(despite some of them professing to support him( no different from him declaring he supported the UK's aim to Remain in the EU) then how can he lead them.

While all this is going on, the world looks on and our reputation in all aspects(commerce finance etc) takes a hit....which is the blamed on the voters who had the gall to want to come out of the EU.

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1171589)
We have often talked on here about how M.P.s of any party tow the line rather than look to what their constituents desire them to do.
Maybe we should start our own group, (notice, not party) a group that is prepared to welcome folk from any background that are prepared to listen to all members of the U.K. prepared to stand for us all before any form of party allegiances, a group that supports the people, to move us all forward no matter which way we voted in the referendum, a group able to say this is what the people we represent wants therefore this is what we will support.
No longer voting in one direction because a parties leaders say you must or else.
Yes I know, it won't happen but a

A group for the United Kingdom before all others, however allowing all others ie all across the channel to work just as hard for their own way of life without them ruining ours.

what you are talking about here is a move away from PARTY POLITICS.
Where the best people are chosen for the job regardless of which political party they have previously followed.
I think somewhere in the archives there is a post from me saying that this is how local politics should be conducted.(and I know this will never happen)
Like minded people doing a job to ensure that the best deals are obtained for all of us....Not just those who think they have been elevated to the elite.

I feel that our own MP has betrayed us in the way that only those who know you can betray you....the most hurtful and painful way.
He was a local man....working background....he knew of the issues which caused concern for us and yet he has done burger all about those issues.

cashman 02-07-2016 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171599)
I think that many people will agree with you Guinness.
Tony Blair was a Tory in all but name. A champagne socialist...except he was not anything like a socialist.
Yes, I also believe he is a war criminal.....and should be dealt with as such.

Yes Cashy, I know that Jeremy Corbyn was elected by people who purported to be supporters of the Labour Party.
My point is...if the MP's are against the leader in the way that they obviously are(despite some of them professing to support him( no different from him declaring he supported the UK's aim to Remain in the EU) then how can he lead them.

While all this is going on, the world looks on and our reputation in all aspects(commerce finance etc) takes a hit....which is the blamed on the voters who had the gall to want to come out of the EU.

The MPs against J.C. including "Eagle" who supported Blair @ voted to go war in Libya, should ALL go and leave Labour to represent what it always stood for,ok it will take years to reassemble, but better that, than what its become.

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 08:04

Cashy, you are right. It would be better if the party folded than stood as it does now....because as it is, it is an embarrassment.
It may still have the support of money from the unions, but it has lost the support of the people like you. It has alienated you.
I have never been a follower of one party. I am one of those floating voters.
I did vote for our local MP though...purely because I thought he had our interests at the heart of what he was doing....I thought his attachment to the town and its people would keep him grounded.
I will not be making that mistake again.

cashman 02-07-2016 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171607)
Cashy, you are right. It would be better if the party folded than stood as it does now....because as it is, it is an embarrassment.
It may still have the support of money from the unions, but it has lost the support of the people like you. It has alienated you.
I have never been a follower of one party. I am one of those floating voters.
I did vote for our local MP though...purely because I thought he had our interests at the heart of what he was doing....I thought his attachment to the town and its people would keep him grounded.
I will not be making that mistake again.

I also voted for our MP Margaret in fact regarded him as a friend, :eek: I aint convinced the union support will be as fervent, that we shall have to wait and see also, I will still i think continue to support Labour on a local level, But never again on a national,until these vipers have been removed. Sad but Fact.

Less 02-07-2016 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171600)
what you are talking about here is a move away from PARTY POLITICS.
Where the best people are chosen for the job regardless of which political party they have previously followed.
I think somewhere in the archives there is a post from me saying that this is how local politics should be conducted.(and I know this will never happen)
Like minded people doing a job to ensure that the best deals are obtained for all of us....Not just those who think they have been elevated to the elite.

I feel that our own MP has betrayed us in the way that only those who know you can betray you....the most hurtful and painful way.
He was a local man....working background....he knew of the issues which caused concern for us and yet he has done burger all about those issues.

Not suggesting it's an original idea, but it would be a wonderful system if we could find trustworthy people to put in control.

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1171615)
Not suggesting it's an original idea, but it would be a wonderful system if we could find trustworthy people to put in control.

No Less...I know you weren't.......and it is an interesting idea. It would indeed be wonderful if we could find those trustworthy people.
It seems that those we trust, soon become untrustworthy once they get their hands on power.

Less 02-07-2016 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171616)
No Less...I know you weren't.......and it is an interesting idea. It would indeed be wonderful if we could find those trustworthy people.
It seems that those we trust, soon become untrustworthy once they get their hands on power.

Yes, no doubt because they don't have a free vote and are forced to tow the party line.

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1171615)

here is a short comment from an article written by Dominic Sandbrook in The Mail online today...it says what many of us on here have been saying for what seems like forever.

In the past few decades, too many MPs have stopped seeing themselves as representatives of their home areas, or even as representatives of larger social and political movements.
Instead, they see themselves merely as individuals, fighting for promotion and survival like characters in a box-set drama.

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 09:42

It was the title of the article that drew my attention..... 'Politicians are only in it for themselves'.

Now where have I read that before?

Laatab 02-07-2016 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171619)
It was the title of the article that drew my attention..... 'Politicians are only in it for themselves'.

Now where have I read that before?

Much of what you say I am in agreement with you Margaret. It seems our local MP Graham Jones is quite the Blairite. I'm dismayed that our local CLP have not reigned him in. I've been following him on twitter and tried to pull him up on several occasions. An example was him using a statistic from a poll of local members in which he claimed supported his yes vote to the bombing of Syria. But when I looked at the poll he was quoting from, the question put to members didn't mention the bombing of Syria but asked did members support the UN resolution calling for a political resolution. More recently, just last night, he was claiming that Paul Mason on newsnight was threatening the Blairites like himself with "Corbryn's thugs on the streets".

The only think I don't understand is this idea that Corbryn is a weak leader. Here is a man who is standing up to not only these career politicians in his own party, who you quite rightly point out have sold us all down the river, but a man who the whole establishment is terrified of getting into power because they know he will expose them for what they are. The MSM is the establishments weapon of choice in order to disseminate distorted facts and outright lies to discredit him. Yet he stands firm.

Since Corbryn became leader you have seen the Tory party do u turn after u turn. If just googled "Tory u turns under Corbryn" and this is the first hit I got and its not even up to date Jeremy Corbyn's first 100 days: 11 things Labour leader has achieved since he came to power - Mirror Online

Best wishes

Laa

Less 02-07-2016 14:49

[quote name="Less" post=1171615]Not suggesting it's an original idea, but it would be a wonderful system if we could find trustworthy people to put in control.[/QUOTE]<br />
No Less...I know you weren't.......and it is an interesting idea. It would indeed be wonderful if we could find those trustworthy people.<br />
It seems that those we trust, soon become untrustworthy once they get their hands on power.<br />
<br />
here is a short comment from an article written by Dominic Sandbrook in The Mail online today...it says what many of us on here have been saying for what seems like forever.<br />
<br />
<i><i>In the past few decades, too many MPs have stopped seeing themselves as representatives of their home areas, or even as representatives of larger social and political movements.</i></i><br />
<i>Instead, they see themselves merely as individuals, fighting for promotion and survival like characters in a box-set drama.</i>

Unfortunately it won't work, an example of why comes from our own Councillors that stood as independent, as soon as they get a smell of power they will form an alliance with other parties rather than remain independent!

Less 02-07-2016 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171639)
tried to pull him up on several occasions. An example was him using a statistic from a poll of local members

Best wishes

Laa

You are lucky you found the poll, I have asked him on many occasions over the years to produce a link to the poll he claimed that the now (in)famous 95% of us are too thick to be given leave to vote in or out of the EU, (still waiting Graham, even though I did manage to vote despite your doubts in my capability).
[emoji41]

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171639)

The only think I don't understand is this idea that Corbryn is a weak leader. Here is a man who is standing up to not only these career politicians in his own party, who you quite rightly point out have sold us all down the river, but a man who the whole establishment is terrified of getting into power because they know he will expose them for what they are. The MSM is the establishments weapon of choice in order to disseminate distorted facts and outright lies to discredit him. Yet he stands firm.

Since Corbryn became leader you have seen the Tory party do u turn after u turn. If just googled "Tory u turns under Corbryn" and this is the first hit I got and its not even up to date Jeremy Corbyn's first 100 days: 11 things Labour leader has achieved since he came to power - Mirror Online

Best wishes

Laa

A leader is someone who will be able to control his MP's(or at least most of them - there will always be the odd one who will stray out of line).

Jeremy Corbyn has not been true to himself. He was a definite Eurosceptic, but allowed himself to be coerced into the Labour stance of voting to Remain in the EU...when it was clear that wasn't what HE wanted to do(and who knows maybe he did not VOTE to remain in the EU).
By paying lip service to a polocy which he was clearly uncomfortable with it diminished his integrity...his honesty...he sold himself out.

As far as the comment that the establishment is scared that he might get into power....right now he would not get access to a jumble sale.
How could he form and effective government with many of the MP's in the party being so against him and what he stands for?

As I have said in previous posts I look at many avenues of information....I do not take onboard all the the popular press wants us all to swallow.

At a time when the political scene needs to be united and move forward, there is disarray in both major parties. How does the world view this...well, it is doing nothing for our global reputation.

Barrie Yates 02-07-2016 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1171645)
You are lucky you found the poll, I have asked him on many occasions over the years to produce a link to the poll he claimed that the now (in)famous 95% of us are too thick to be given leave to vote in or out of the EU, (still waiting Graham, even though I did manage to vote despite your doubts in my capability).
[emoji41]

Not even any comments in his defence from his Labour colleagues on HBC or LCC:rolleyes:

Laatab 02-07-2016 19:19

Here is the full speech on why JC decided to back remaining in the EU. At the end he is asked why he's changed his mind after voting against the EU so many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSJV8uSkY4

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 20:05

I am very sorry, but I cannot abide to watch this at any price.(and it is 26 minutes of my life I would never get back - at my age I can't afford to waste time on such things)
I really do have EU fatigue. The TV nearly came a cropper during a news bulletin today. If my other half had not had the presence of mind to take the doorstop from my hands he would be reading the paper now instead of watching TV......or maybe he wouldn't, my aim is not that good.

If I had watched it I would not have believed him as his support for the campaign was so very tepid.

Less 02-07-2016 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171668)
Here is the full speech on why JC decided to back remaining in the EU. At the end he is asked why he's changed his mind after voting against the EU so many times.

Rather than force us through 27 minutes of this, tell us the answer, why did he change his mind?
My life gets shorter by the day, I haven't got the time or your enthusiasm to watch it all.

Less 02-07-2016 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by margaret pilkington (Post 1171675)
i am very sorry, but i cannot abide to watch this at any price.(and it is 26 minutes of my life i would never get back - at my age i can't afford to waste time on such things)
i really do have eu fatigue. The tv nearly came a cropper during a news bulletin today. If my other half had not had the presence of mind to take the doorstop from my hands he would be reading the paper now instead of watching tv......or maybe he wouldn't, my aim is not that good.

If i had watched it i would not have believed him as his support for the campaign was so very tepid.

snap!

Laatab 02-07-2016 20:41

Well I did say that the answer as to why he's now backing remain is right at the end!

Guinness 02-07-2016 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171681)
Well I did say that the answer as to why he's now backing remain is right at the end!

And thats the point....even when people are hand fed, they still have difficulty seeing

The Jones boy has done the same on twitter today. he posted :-

'behaviour is of a broken man' and linked this....

Jeremy Corbyn held back by aides after furious confrontation with reporter who asked if he was 'running away' from Labour crisis

Obviously missed reading this bit of the article :-

The television reporter involved in the incident - Victoria Macdonald, Channel Four News’ Health and Social affairs correspondent - denied that she had been “lunged at” by the Labour leader.

Less 02-07-2016 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171681)

Didn't bother to give us the answer though did you?

I don't care if Guinness thinks I'm spoon fed, your spoon is too large, just give us the facts.

Margaret Pilkington 02-07-2016 21:13

It is all academic anyway.
The party is in bits and it need not be.
It is going to take a lot to rebuild the integrity of the Labour Party....and if I am honest I can't think of anyone capable of doing it.

cashman 02-07-2016 21:34

It will never be rebuilt until the snakes have been cleared out. its that simple to me.

Laatab 02-07-2016 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1171689)
Didn't bother to give us the answer though did you?

I don't care if Guinness thinks I'm spoon fed, your spoon is too large, just give us the facts.

I'm sorry Less, you're right, for you, my spoon is far too large!

Laatab 02-07-2016 23:27

Corbryn changed his mind on Europe for two reason that I know of. One is the there is a groundswell of grass-roots driven political opinion demanding democratic reforms throughout Europe and the other is our domestic politics are dominated by an ultra right wing neo-liberal political class!

That's as condensed as I can make it:)

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 07:22

If those are his reasons then I am thankful that I did not sit through it.
The groundswell of public opinion in Europe is wasting its time. They might as well save their breath to cool their soup.
While ever they are in the EU there will be no meaningful democratic change. The people who lead the EU( and European nations by the nose) will see to that.
His second reason is just politician speak for career politicians with precious little experience of real life.
Straight from uni and then parachuted into a political career in some place they have probably previously never heard of.

That is unlike our own MP. He had a job, worked for a living, knew the area and its people....knew what made them tick.....what worried them.
He was not one of those university educated career politicos, but it has not done us much good.
He still could not represent us accurately....and worse than that....he insulted many by his comments.

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171701)
Corbryn changed his mind on Europe for two reason that I know of. One is the there is a groundswell of grass-roots driven political opinion demanding democratic reforms throughout Europe and the other is our domestic politics are dominated by an ultra right wing neo-liberal political class!

That's as condensed as I can make it:)

Thank you for your condensed version. I am not a great fan of YouTube.....and sometimes they won't play on my desktop......this one wouldn't.....so you see I DID try.....purely because I figured that you had taken the trouble to try and educate us.
I thought that perhaps it would help me see the Labour Party leader in a more favourable light. Even though I know that once I make an opinion on something, it is very difficult to 'turn' me( must be something to do with my Christian name)....it would have had to be a monumental shift.
Anyway now I know the gist, I am glad I didn't watch it.

Laatab 03-07-2016 09:39

Ha Margaret, I'm definitely not trying to educate anyone I haven't the brains nor the inclination and I definitely empathise with you as regards how exhausting it can be following this stuff. Oh and btw I know all about people called Margaret as that's the name of my girlfriend of many years. I'm just a guy with too much time on my hands if anything.

Laatab 03-07-2016 09:45

Found this interesting article on the Canary this morning if anyone's interested in knowing more detail about who has orchestrated this coup against Corbryn.

The truth behind the Labour coup, when it really began and who manufactured it (EXCLUSIVE) | The Canary

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laatab (Post 1171708)
Ha Margaret, I'm definitely not trying to educate anyone I haven't the brains nor the inclination and I definitely empathise with you as regards how exhausting it can be following this stuff. Oh and btw I know all about people called Margaret as that's the name of my girlfriend of many years. I'm just a guy with too much time on my hands if anything.

Maybe I used the wrong word when I said educate....maybe I should have said something like disseminate or facilitate, but when it all boils down to it,it really is passing on information and information leads to knowledge.....knowledge is education....so there we are back at square one again.
I am always ready to listen to the views and opinions of others.....and I may not always agree with what someone says, but I try to give respect to those views.

So it is with Jeremy Corbyn. I may not agree with what he says, but he has the right to say it(unless of course it is something which is illegal, racist or inflammatory).

I do not like the shenanigans within the party. It serves no purpose other than to be divisive and it gives a wrong impression to the rest of the world(who right now are watching us like Hawks to see how we will fare now the nation has decided).
Should we care about our reputation...?
Of course we should because it what we, the British people are measured by.

cashman 03-07-2016 10:32

In my view our reputation has already been seriously damaged by the two faced scum/ snakes that have orchestrated whats going on.

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 10:41

Cashy they don't really care at all.
Any ills that are suffered by the UK (financial, commercial, political)will be laid at the doors of those who voted to leave the EU.....it is never going to be the fault of the politicians of any colour(and by that I mean the colour they travel under).

All great change is never achieved without some degree of discomfort/pain.
We can only hope that when all the in fighting is over, there might be a better system in place...or a more acceptable political class....but I won't be holding my breath on that one.

cashman 03-07-2016 10:46

Me neither Margaret, but i would honestly rather see the party smashed to pieces, than continue with this scum that have caused this mess.

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 11:20

I think that one of the main reasons why there has not been a formal challenge is that Jeremy Corbyn would(in the event of a leadership contest) be entitled to put himself on the ballot paper.
So it is not beyond reason that the grass roots could re-elect him as leader a second time.
This would cause humiliation for those MP's who have resigned from the shadow cabinet.....and those with the pack mentality.

I do not trust Tom Watson and would not put it past him to be making bullets for other labour MP's to be firing(though this is only my cynical and suspicious view.....and the only grounds I have for this suspicion is that when the brown stuff hit the fan, he distanced himself from the fallout by shaking his booty at Glastonbury - what an unedifying sight that must have been).

Laatab 03-07-2016 11:30

Watson is a guy who is playing both ends against the middle imo. Wouldn't trust him with a potted plant.

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 11:33

And there I was thinking it was only me who thought this way.

cashman 03-07-2016 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171720)
And there I was thinking it was only me who thought this way.

No not really, i reckon the same.;)

Margaret Pilkington 03-07-2016 11:48

Glad I am not on my own.

Barrie Yates 03-07-2016 13:17

Labour can rest easy now, the White Knights, in the form of Blair and Kinnock, are charging to the rescue of the Labour Party and are going to save the country from itself over the EU.
I think there may be something in the report that Corbyn will stay in position until the Chilcot Report is published on Wednesday and he can then call Blair a liar - in Parliament of course, therefore with impunity other than a slapped wrist from the Speaker. Another interesting week ahead.