Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2012, 01:05   #16
Senior Member+

Re: A Canadians view on Accrington

A great read and very true but the lass didn't live there permanent, she was on an extended vacation so she saw the best of everything and there's no one like the British to make a person, who wants to join in, feel welcome. She didn't have to put that damn pie on though!! After being in Canada for almost 40 years I love to come home and for the same reasons. See you in May.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2012, 08:49   #17
Resting in Peace

Well I used to work away all the time and the best sign for me was junction 31 on the M6 and the road home, I actually lived in Rossendale from 78 to 86 but theres no place like home
Old 18-01-2012, 21:31   #18

Nice article. But I have to disagree about the affordability of train travel. We have the highest fares in Europe and they have just got higher.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 21:39   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
Nice article. But I have to disagree about the affordability of train travel. We have the highest fares in Europe and they have just got higher.
That point is spot on, was aware but thought someone else should make it.
Old 18-01-2012, 21:43   #20
God Member

The comparison was against trains in Canada though, not the rest of Europe .
Old 18-01-2012, 21:48   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The comparison was against trains in Canada though, not the rest of Europe .
Yeh it don't detract from a good article.
Old 19-01-2012, 15:30   #22
Lee

Thank you everyone for your comments. Kelly was contacted by Radio Lancashire and had a brief interview on the breakfast show this morning. I have been teasing her because she mainly used to the opportunity to talk about pies, I think she was hungry.

You can listen here (skip to 1hr 55min)
BBC iPlayer - Graham Liver: 19/01/2012

Also having just completed a cross Canada trip by land (Victoria, BC - St John's Newfoundland) over 3 months, I can tell you, the trains are not cheap nor convinient. Its more to do with the geography of the huge country. Our 38 hour train journey from Winnipeg to Toronto was the same distance from Accrington to Warsaw, you just cant hop around Canada that easily.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:24   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. Kelly was contacted by Radio Lancashire and had a brief interview on the breakfast show this morning. I have been teasing her because she mainly used to the opportunity to talk about pies, I think she was hungry.

Also having just completed a cross Canada trip by land (Victoria, BC - St John's Newfoundland) over 3 months, I can tell you, the trains are not cheap nor convinient. Its more to do with the geography of the huge country. Our 38 hour train journey from Winnipeg to Toronto was the same distance from Accrington to Warsaw, you just cant hop around Canada that easily.
Hopping around Canada sure as hell ain't easy at all. Just for the helluvit; and 'cause I'm bored; I checked out a couple of things on Wiki. The area of the UK is 243,610 square km. The area of the Federal riding of The Western Arctic is 1,346,106 square km. Seems like 5x the size. Imagine campaigning up there With a pop. density of 0.03 per sq. km it must be a hoot knocking on doors during an election.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:24   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:

Have just listened, I think you are right about the pies, its probably withdrawal symptoms.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:43   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Have just listened, I think you are right about the pies, its probably withdrawal symptoms.
I still have them. I wonder why meat pies have never caught on over here. The only province I'm aware of that has them in abundance is Quebec. Their tourtiere ain't all that bad ...

French Canadian Tourtiere Recipe - Allrecipes.com

but the ones I ate as a kid, hot and juicy on a cold damp nite at Peel Park
Old 20-01-2012, 08:34   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I still have them. I wonder why meat pies have never caught on over here. The only province I'm aware of that has them in abundance is Quebec. Their tourtiere ain't all that bad ...

French Canadian Tourtiere Recipe - Allrecipes.com

but the ones I ate as a kid, hot and juicy on a cold damp nite at Peel Park
Sounds delicious Eric -haven't eaten yet today!

No proprer pies in Italy either, you can't beat 'em.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 08:59   #27
Resting in Peace

On the subject of trains,I've just heard on Spanish radio that a contract to build 15 new trains for Britain has been awarded to a Spanish company.

No confirmation yet but sounds about right.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 03:00   #28
Lee

Tourtiere is nice, Them French Canadians have more in common with us northerners than you may think. Take Poutine, where else could chips, cheese and gravy be a delicacy?
Old 21-01-2012, 20:43   #29
God Member

Quote:
Tourtiere is nice, Them French Canadians have more in common with us northerners than you may think. Take Poutine, where else could chips, cheese and gravy be a delicacy?
Where else? In Kingston, ON. There's nothing like poutine when you are walking home with a load on Stagger out of Rhea's, hit Bubbas, grab a mess of poutine, and head home. It's not quite as good as walking (or wobbling) home to Clayton from Accy munching on fish and six ... but it comes pretty goddamn closeAnd it does come from Quebec: Vive le Quebec, vive la belle province Oh, and the Montreal Candiens too.
Old 22-01-2012, 21:16   #30
Senior Member+

Had to look what poutine is, blimey it,s just chips and gravy with some cheese on. Why not call it chips and gravy with cheese on? Funny lot these frogs and they can,t even talk right.!!!
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..