Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2006, 22:06   #16
God Member

Re: A Good Book......what would you miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
I'm an avid reader and normally read up to three books a week. The trouble with living here is that it's so hard to come across English books and even more impossible to buy a nice new one. The pleasure of opening a brand new hardback...........I so wish.

We do get second hand stuff, normally falling apart and full of someone else's dinner but better than nothing I suppose. As a treat I order something from Amazon but with postage prices it isn't the best way to go about it. My sister-in-law saves hers for me and I collect them when I visit Ossy.........good kid x

What would you miss if you couldn't have it?
Were you a nurse back here? I ask because I seem to recall my grandma mentioning her friend moving to spain...
Old 24-06-2006, 22:18   #17
Senior Member+

Thank you for your book offers, really kind of you xx. I'm not in Mainland Spain but the Canaries and I've never been a nurse.

Your replies were interesting and included all the other things I miss!! Like you say Nescafe doesn't taste the same here and neither does fish and chips. No chance of steak pudding all in either.

Books remain at the top of my list though!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 22:52   #18
God Member

I don't know much about books, never read much... but perhaps ebooks could be helpfull to you? Although I guess it's not really the same reading them on your pc rather than paperback/hardback...

Anyway heres a link: http://www.ebooks.com/
Old 25-06-2006, 00:12   #19
God Member

Thats why book sales have gone up because of the internet instead of down, people who come on here buy a book and read it, I doubt very much if jen would enjoy reading her books on screen as much as a real book. I am suprised and impressed by how many have mentioned books though. third greatest invention my trackballmouse, it's just broke, and I need it back
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 07:02   #20
God Member

It's just not the same to read a book or newspaper on screen.

I spend a fortune each week on newspapers and Chris hates them because there are always piles of supplements lying around. He likes to read the news on Sky news on the internet but I can't cope with that - I like the physical feel of scanning a proper newspaper. You don't get all the one paragraph funnies on the internet either.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 07:03   #21
God Member

In fact, just as I was typing my last post, my sunday newspaper arrived so I'm off for a while.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 08:55   #22
God Member

Fishing if it got the same treatment as fox hunting. I can go fishing and its like being away from the pressures of the world and as its so relaxing it can be better than a good bevvy session and cheaper.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 10:17   #23
mez
God Member

yes id miss my books too .id also miss my accyweb .....internet ...but most of all id miss my friends new & old ones .
Old 25-06-2006, 11:28   #24
Resting in Peace

In general, I would not like to be without my central heating ... not that Junetta will need it much in Tenerife, although my friends that live in Denia did have it installed a couple of years ago for the winter season.

Couldn't bear the thought of having to put on warm woolies about the house in winter, rush upstairs to go to the loo to get back to the fire quickly, hating having to clean upstairs .. been known to put gloves on before 'til I got warm with the vacuuming, waking up to cold and having to make up a fire, hot water bottles, bed socks, electric blanket Red mottled legs through standing too close to the fire. Remembering to put the hot water switch on before you take a bath.

Wouldn't be able to sit in my little extension to go on my computer and talk to Accywebbers in comfort.

Don't mind our cold winters, as long as I can open my front door and be greated by comforting all-enveloping warmth.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 12:26   #25
God Member

Can't stand loads of clothes on, but then I don't feel the cold much these days, did when I was i kid but not now.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..