Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2005, 00:39   #1
land of hope and glory

A Plea To What?

sorry but been following this thread that i read happy! monday, ???? what do you hear on the radio, tele, gossip,****..... all the the time sorry mate but the world is bad news?
god bless aLL MY KIDS in this daY AND AGE YOU NEVER KNOW!

Last edited by staggeringman; 18-07-2005 at 00:43.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2005, 00:52   #2
land of hope and glory

Re: A Plea To What?

kipax this is not aimed at you.but reallity everything you do, see is shoved forward at you and what do we talk about???? the things that we have read and heard through the media, its a sad way of life but we are used too it,we put the dolls in the shop window but they pull the strings.
Old 18-07-2005, 00:55   #3
God Member

where do you get happy monday from?

The concept was for one day and one day only to post nice positive things.....to not moan and to not slag accrington off...just for one day..

Theres doom and gloom everyday around the world your right... But thats no excuse for not having a day off from moaning is it?

Maybe I was too ambitious asking accywebbers not to moan..maybe I should just have asked them not to slag off accrington for a day? would that have been a more achievable mark...I somehow doubt it
Old 18-07-2005, 00:56   #4
land of hope and glory

living in this day and age you have no chance !
Old 18-07-2005, 00:57   #5
God Member

Cheer up

To be honest I was just getting fed up of viewing latests post every day..... and nearly always its someone slagging off hyndburn or accrington.. even people who dont live here do it................ sorry just sick of people slagging off the place i live and love living....... be nice if one day i came on accyweb and there wasnt anyone attacking our town.

accyweb could be so many things.. it has potential to be so many things...I mentioned this the other night... and fireman has now touched on it in another thread...

But instead accyweb is used as a soapbox for everyne to moan about there town

pees me off...... a bit

Last edited by KIPAX; 18-07-2005 at 01:03.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 01:01   #6
land of hope and glory

come and have a pint....lol cant go to bed yet the wife has got her music on that she chills out too.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:04   #7
God Member

on myl ast gobfull of wine here... its so depressing to not have anymore alcahol in the house hehe
Old 18-07-2005, 01:17   #8
land of hope and glory

can understand where you where you are comming from, but what good things can we report on,every person you see walking past the pub seems to be zombified they do the same thing day in day out. What was the last piece of good news you heard?
Old 18-07-2005, 01:28   #9
God Member

I woke up this morning.... Thats all the good news anyone should need everyday

I have a very simplistic view on life..I see everything in black and white as the saying goes.
Old 18-07-2005, 06:50   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
accyweb could be so many things.. it has potential to be so many things...I mentioned this the other night... and fireman has now touched on it in another thread...

But instead accyweb is used as a soapbox for everyne to moan about there town

pees me off...... a bit
It's a funny thing about human beings that having a whinge seems to make a lot of us happy. I have two friends who are permanently miserable. They've got it down to a fine art by now and it's guaranteed that every time I see either of them there'll be a complaint about something. I came face to face with one of them coming out of the loo in Peel Street the other day and her first words were "I'm not happy!" Not even "hello" lol. When I told Busman his response was "nothing new there then".

You are absolutely correct that AccyWeb could be so many things and it already is a lot of things. It's a place where people have been helped to trace their ancestors, or find living relatives. It's a place where ex-Accringtonians have found photos of places they fondly remember. It's a place where people have a laugh and a joke, play arcade games, stay up til the wee small hours for a chat, help each other out with needs and wants, buy sell and swap things, offer advice and generally witter on about life in the big bad world. It's a place where I've had technical help with things I would otherwise have struggled with.

Funny thing is that I think we are all as fond of Accy as you are and it's our love of the town which is behind a lot of the moaning aimed at the council. We want Broadway to look terrific and for visitors to go home thinking they'd love to return. We want the shops all to be occupied by an interesting variety of retailers. We want to see the litter cleaned up. We want to be proud of Accrington because we love it. We wouldn't be here otherwise.

Just as you said this website has great potential so does Accy itself and we want it to be great.

I hope you don't see that as a whinge because it isn't. It's a view of the positive potential and my point of view about how I and other people feel.

If there's anything good out there we can do to help this town and surrounding area become great so that we don't have anything to moan about let's work on it, and that includes not sitting back and accepting second or third best just so as not to make waves.

Encouragement works far better than criticism so let's have a few more carrots and a few less sticks and look at it this way. We've still got a lot of Monday to go at and I'm sure we can find plenty of good things to post about. You never know, the idea might catch on and we'll be doing it for the rest of the week and beyond too. Some people had already started last week probably without even thinking about it. That thread of Fireman's about giving something back by helping out the vandalised school was inspired by bad news but look what a positive reaction came out of that.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 18-07-2005 at 07:23. Reason: TYPOS!
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 07:28   #11
God Member

I am naturally an optimistic person and I naively think the best of everyone so I am mostly happy. Today is another beautiful day, I had a great weekend and a week of untold possibilities stretches ahead of me. How good is that?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 09:42   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
I am naturally an optimistic person and I naively think the best of everyone so I am mostly happy. Today is another beautiful day, I had a great weekend and a week of untold possibilities stretches ahead of me. How good is that?

Don't worry Gayle, we all have our bad days, thank you for making mine feel worse with your over-optimistic 'twee' remarks!

(Just kidding honest)

Last edited by Less; 18-07-2005 at 09:43.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 11:29   #13
Senior Member+

I know a lot of us moan about Accrington, but if it was a really bad place to live them i'm sure we would be leaving in droves. We are human, it's in our make up to moan. How many moan about the family, but let outsiders do it, thats when the family stick together.
Old 18-07-2005, 13:49   #14
Beacon of light

Willow has said it far better than I could have.
I think Accyweb is a brilliant site and I have learned an awful lot since joining.
I can do things now that I couldn't do before, helped by folks on Accyweb......I know more about the internal workings of local politics......thanks to Graham Jones for clearing up some of the mysteries.
I have joined in the quizzes and earned myself some pre-revolution ackers........I have 'met' some very friendly and helpful folk..........Ok, I may have done my share of moaning and whingeing.......but it made me feel better that I was not the only person who felt like that.
Long Live Accyweb.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 19:39   #15
white rabbits

now you can have another laugh ..on the limmericks i just put willow instead of kipax .
i thought it was willow that asked us not to moan...
if we all put the good things that happen to us next to the bad things ..i think the good things would win hands down...

« Apologies | Vandals »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..