Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 08:24   #196
Resident Waffler

Re: Abbey Street uniform shop - drug using equipment?

They don't rip off. They are not just a badge sewn on, it's an integral part of the garment either woven in or embroidered onto the garment. The logo lasts as long as the garment.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2008, 08:38   #197
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Reece doesnt wear skirts up his backside thankyou very much
Hope not either, mind you in these times of equallity.............

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:46   #198
God Member

I mentioned this earlier - can you young uns not do embroidery? - is that yet another lost craft which we oldies know how to do?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:52   #199
Senior Member+

I do cross stitch margaret Just looking through my patterns to see what i have to make for baby

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:58   #200
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
They don't rip off.
I think he meant a money rip off not a physical ripping of the clothes
Old 08-09-2008, 09:06   #201

Personally I don't like this shop and never have. Purely for the fact that the jumpers they have in are a different shade to the jumpers I get from school.

Surely they could just sell the smoking items under the counter and then everybody would be happy?? At least that way they wouldn't be on display to offend anyone and of course I wouldn't want my daughter to see them, but to be honest she wouldn't know what they are anyway. Secondly if anyone wanted these items they could just ask at the counter.

It does seem an odd thing to be selling though at what I believe is primarily a School shop.

Imagine walking into the school office and finding them on display
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 13:25   #202
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I mentioned this earlier - can you young uns not do embroidery? - is that yet another lost craft which we oldies know how to do?

It doesn't matter whether they can do embroidery or not, if they tried to embroider the logo it could not be done with the same appearance as the machine embroidered logo and would not meet with school approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTechnophobe View Post
Personally I don't like this shop and never have. Purely for the fact that the jumpers they have in are a different shade to the jumpers I get from school.

Surely they could just sell the smoking items under the counter and then everybody would be happy?? At least that way they wouldn't be on display to offend anyone and of course I wouldn't want my daughter to see them, but to be honest she wouldn't know what they are anyway. Secondly if anyone wanted these items they could just ask at the counter.

It does seem an odd thing to be selling though at what I believe is primarily a School shop.

Imagine walking into the school office and finding them on display
The jumpers I have bought are exactly the same shade as the ones I've bought from the school. I will never buy from school again after we were conned into paying more and the surplus put into school funds. I would not have objected to donating to school funds but I didn't like the underhand way it was done.

The jumpers they currently have in stock for Accrington Academy (ex Moorheaad) come from 2 suppliers. One is the exact same supplier the school obtain theirs from. In other words there cannot be a difference. The shop does not make the garments they purchase them from suppliers. They have exactly the same manufacturer's label in. They are made by the same people and obtained from the same source. They also do them from another well known school wear manufacturer (Trutex) which is a better quality than the one I got from the school. They are not stocking inferior quality garments in my experience.

The smoking items are no longer on sale so I don't know why this discussion is continuing. They were never selling drugs or bongs. The items they did sell were perfectly legal. The shop sells adult clothing and accessories as well as school uniforms. The school uniforms are only part of their stock. If a customer had approached Mr. Vij and told him they objected to the ashtrays and cigarette lighters he would ahve removed them then. He was unaware that anyone was offended by them until I told him about this thread.

Despite the fact that the same items continue to be sold in several shops in town, including alongside sweets in a shop where children go with their own spending money, this is the only shop which seems to have been targetted for complaint both by AccyWebbers and by the local press. Article in today's Telegraph although conceding that the stuff is no longer even there continues to refer to it as "drug related items" which is grossly unfair.

He isn't selling them at all now, on top of or under the counter. People will have to go on the market or to Popundland or to the Glory Hole in future. On the market they will also find bongs which have never been on sale in the Abbey Street shop.

Old 08-09-2008, 15:49   #203
Senior Member+

Quote:

The jumpers I have bought are exactly the same shade as the ones I've bought from the school. I will never buy from school again after we were conned into paying more and the surplus put into school funds. I would not have objected to donating to school funds but I didn't like the underhand way it was done.

The jumpers they currently have in stock for Accrington Academy (ex Moorheaad) come from 2 suppliers. One is the exact same supplier the school obtain theirs from. In other words there cannot be a difference. The shop does not make the garments they purchase them from suppliers. They have exactly the same manufacturer's label in. They are made by the same people and obtained from the same source. They also do them from another well known school wear manufacturer (Trutex) which is a better quality than the one I got from the school. They are not stocking inferior quality garments in my experience.
Sorry but last year when i was in year 11, the jumpers ended up pink after 1 month. Not just mine but everyone who bought them from Abbey St. Also the badge is in a different position (blue and red).
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 15:52   #204
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The parents know the rules so it is there fault if their child is sent home.
This reminds me of the thread about the parents who sent their child to school with a can of shandy. It's the same old thing again.

I can never understand why parents send their child to a school and then start cribbing about the rules.....if you don't approve of a school's rules then send your child to another school.
Old 08-09-2008, 16:07   #205

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether they can do embroidery or not, if they tried to embroider the logo it could not be done with the same appearance as the machine embroidered logo and would not meet with school approval.

The smoking items are no longer on sale so I don't know why this discussion is continuing. They were never selling drugs or bongs. The items they did sell were perfectly legal. The shop sells adult clothing and accessories as well as school uniforms. The school uniforms are only part of their stock. If a customer had approached Mr. Vij and told him they objected to the ashtrays and cigarette lighters he would ahve removed them then. He was unaware that anyone was offended by them until I told him about this thread.

Despite the fact that the same items continue to be sold in several shops in town, including alongside sweets in a shop where children go with their own spending money, this is the only shop which seems to have been targetted for complaint both by AccyWebbers and by the local press. Article in today's Telegraph although conceding that the stuff is no longer even there continues to refer to it as "drug related items" which is grossly unfair.

He isn't selling them at all now, on top of or under the counter. People will have to go on the market or to Popundland or to the Glory Hole in future. On the market they will also find bongs which have never been on sale in the Abbey Street shop.
I went in last week to get my daughter two new school jumpers and they ARE a different colour to the School ones. The ones in the shop are a lot lighter than the ones I buy from the School which I prefer.

They are also cheaper to buy at School and of better quality. I know of other people who have bought their jumpers from there and have faded badly in the wash, the School's jumpers never have.

As for the smoking items, I never mentioned they were selling drugs or bongs. I just wanted to have my say, everyone else has so can I not?? Neither did I say they were illegal. If you look I actually said if they sold them under the counter I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I do agree that this shop has been penalised when other shops are selling likewise items. I've walked through the market before now and seen these items readily for sale, which is strange consdering that drugs are illegal but the items used to smoke drugs or whatever you do with "bongs" and the like are not, doesn't make sense to me.
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:13   #206
Resident Waffler

So the complaint is with the manufacturer of the garments in that case. Have you complained to the shop and told them that the colour fades? That is what I would do. Then they could look for a better supplier. How are they supposed to know there's a problem if no-one complains? I used to buy Springhill ones, which are burgundy and they never faded. I did notice some people at Springhill had very faded ones though. I have no idea where they bought them or why theirs faded and mine didn't. I've bought Moorhead ones in recent years and not had a problem with those either. What colour were the ones that faded and who made them?

Old 08-09-2008, 17:18   #207
God Member

Any coloured garment will fade if you wash it using powder designed for whites.
I suspect that is why some people get fading and others don't.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:31   #208
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
So the complaint is with the manufacturer of the garments in that case.
No it is with the shop. If you buy faulty goods it is the point of sale that is at fault. The shop will of course blame the manufacturer but your consumer rights are with the shop.
Old 08-09-2008, 17:35   #209
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Any coloured garment will fade if you wash it using powder designed for whites.
I suspect that is why some people get fading and others don't.
Wondered how long before some common sense kicked in
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:01   #210
Senior Member+

So everyone who shopped at Abbey St. for there Year 11 uniforms form Moorhead has no common sense ?

Strange when school advised everyone in an assembly about the problem before year 11. Oh and the prices were the same so its not money grabbing.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..