Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 18:04   #211
God Member

Re: Abbey Street uniform shop - drug using equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
So everyone who shopped at Abbey St. for there Year 11 uniforms form Moorhead has no common sense ?

Strange when school advised everyone in an assembly about the problem before year 11. Oh and the prices were the same so its not money grabbing.
Jack and I were referring to washing powders - too many people are 'laundry careless' and then wonder why their clothes don't last

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2008, 19:57   #212
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Jack and I were referring to washing powders - too many people are 'laundry careless' and then wonder why their clothes don't last
That's true, Margaret.

There are a lot of 'white' shirts being worn that look grey to me....that'll be due to shoddy washing.
Old 08-09-2008, 21:43   #213
Resident Waffler

Maybe people put bleach in with things and that's why they go pale. Some washing powders contain bleach I believe. I use a Melaleuca liquid and never have any problems.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:47   #214
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
No it is with the shop. If you buy faulty goods it is the point of sale that is at fault. The shop will of course blame the manufacturer but your consumer rights are with the shop.
Yes I realise that but what I was trying to point out is that the shop doesn't manufacture the garments so what I'm saying is that if you think they are inferior then it's the manufacturer you are accusing of producing inferior goods, which doesn't actually make sense if they purchase from the same manufacturer that the schools purchase from. (Which they do.) In other words how can they be shoddy and the school supply not be shoddy if they are the same thing?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:59   #215
Junior Member+

I am amazed at the reaction this post has had. I am very glad these items are no longer for sale. I know these items are available in other places and I know they are legal to be sold. what I didn't like was the combination. And yes they did have pipes when I was there. No matter what excuses they have as to legal uses, I bet 90% of these items are used to consume cannabis, by kids. If the people that sell them feel better by telling themselves they are only used for tobacco then they obviously have no morals. I will continue shopping there now that these items have been removed, and I will also apologize to the owner for making it public instead of just saying something to him, but at the time I just wanted other opinions. I did not go to the telegraph and did not wish for this to be made into a big thing like it was by the paper.
eattothebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06   #216
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yes I realise that but what I was trying to point out is that the shop doesn't manufacture the garments so what I'm saying is that if you think they are inferior then it's the manufacturer you are accusing of producing inferior goods, which doesn't actually make sense if they purchase from the same manufacturer that the schools purchase from. (Which they do.) In other words how can they be shoddy and the school supply not be shoddy if they are the same thing?
They may have been a bad batch
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11   #217
Resident Waffler

Quote:
They may have been a bad batch
That's possible. If I get something that doesn't come up to scratch I go back to the place where I bought it and point out the problem so they can take it up with the supplier. I did that with a clock once! It's usually the best course of action.

Mind you, we tried to do that with Tesco about the exploding cola cans but we didn't get very far with them. I think it depends if you are dealing with a private shop where the owner is the one who serves you, or a faceless national/international company where you only speak to one of the employees.

On the subject of pipes, bongs, ashtrays and lighters. I wonder if the LT is going to take up the crusade against any of the other shops in town which sell them, or any goods with the cannabis leaf logo. My granddad smoked a pipe but I don't think anyone had even heard of drugs in those days.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14   #218
Senior Member+

willow.....exploding cola cans????????

EDIT:i found the thread http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ing-22671.html

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012

Last edited by emamum; 09-09-2008 at 09:16.
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20   #219
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eattothebeat View Post
I am amazed at the reaction this post has had. I am very glad these items are no longer for sale. I know these items are available in other places and I know they are legal to be sold. what I didn't like was the combination. And yes they did have pipes when I was there. No matter what excuses they have as to legal uses, I bet 90% of these items are used to consume cannabis, by kids. If the people that sell them feel better by telling themselves they are only used for tobacco then they obviously have no morals. I will continue shopping there now that these items have been removed, and I will also apologize to the owner for making it public instead of just saying something to him, but at the time I just wanted other opinions. I did not go to the telegraph and did not wish for this to be made into a big thing like it was by the paper.
Thank you for coming back to the thread. May I ask how you feel about the combination where these items are sold in a pound shop next to the sweets which the kids go in to buy by themselves with their pocket money?

The Vij brothers have said that they had those items by the counter and they were noted that they would not be sold to anyone under 18 (or is it 16?) whatever the age it is for legally buying tobacco related products.

I do not think you have the right to declare that 'they obviously have no morals' - if that were the case they would have defiantly kept the items on sale and told you to mind your own business. As it is as soon as they were made aware that someone had made the drugs connection they removed the items from sale.

That is good that you are going to apologise to the owner for making it public rather than talking to him about your concerns. Are you also going to apologise to the owners for stating here today that by telling themselves their perfectly legal items are only used for tobacco that they 'obviously
have no morals'? You may be stepping onto the thin ice of libel there.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:33   #220
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
On the subject of pipes, bongs, ashtrays and lighters. I wonder if the LT is going to take up the crusade against any of the other shops in town which sell them, or any goods with the cannabis leaf logo.
I am surprised you have not contacted them yet to point out the other shops selling such things. They might be interested in the sex toys next to sweets mention on here as well.

Quote:
My granddad smoked a pipe but I don't think anyone had even heard of drugs in those days.
People have been taking drugs well before your granddad.

See this site, even Queen Victoria enjoyed the 'royal weed'

Last edited by Neil; 09-09-2008 at 09:36.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35   #221
Senior Member+

Quote:
People have been taking drugs well before your granddad.
lol sounds like you are accuising Willows grandad of taking drugs

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40   #222
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
lol sounds like you are accuising Willows grandad of taking drugs
Only if his name was Dylan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dylan.jpg (9.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52   #223
Resident Waffler

Oh yes the old opium dens and what have you. Weren't some drugs once legal which are now illegal? Maybe there were more drugs around than I thought but I don't think smoking equipment would have automatically been associated with drug taking in people's minds in those days. My granddad used to buy tobacco in solid lumps which he had to fiddle about with and 'strand' before it was smokable. He had some stuff which was perfumed too. Holland House it was called. Got it from Woods which used to be at the top of Union Street.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05   #224

you guys are cracking me up now, The bongs,pipes an stuff they sell can't be used for the perpose of drugs ass they not made srong enouth to with stand the heat of the lighter. they just for show.
Nori Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58   #225
God Member

The bongs,pipes an stuff they sell can't be used for the perpose of drugs ass they not made srong enouth to with stand the heat of the lighter.

I know someone who smokes a Shisha pipe at home.
It isn't just the arab cultures who practice Shisha.
He uses scented tobacco which is legal

Last edited by MargaretR; 09-09-2008 at 13:01.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..