Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 23:10   #1
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs down I Don't Like Complaining.

Thank you chav for your thread on Tesco Insurance, I would like to follow up with MY story of Tesco's incompetence!

As most of you know (or can guess) I am a coach driver and can be sent anywhere in the country at a moments notice. Many times, I could find myself in the middle of nowhere with a wait of several hours so I try to ensure that I always have a drink or two in my briefcase. (non alcoholic )

It was early May and I had three cans of Tesco own brand colas in my briefcase but - for a change, all was quiet and I had only local jobs to do so my briefcase remained in the boot of my car.

The next morning, I opened my case and found that one can had exploded distributing the contents over £90-00 worth of maps and paperwork. The other two cans had raised lids and were on the verge of exploding!

I took the cans to the Tesco store and "talked" to the Duty Manager, In fact, the conversation lasted less than 30 seconds before he pointed out that "of course they would explode in the heat of a car boot," I grabbed the offending cans, informed him that it was early May, NOT midsummer, It was warm, not hot, I have to replace £90-00 of maps and that these cans posed a danger to drivers and children in cars - and stormed out of the store!!!! WRONG!

I wrote to "Tesco Customer Care" (sending photos as I was not willing to incur extra costs of sending cans of cola through the post) and received a curt letter telling me to return the cans to my local store but that would mean dealing again with this moron, What should I do??

I am a bit of a "softy" when it comes to complaining, I am sure that companies like Tesco are inundated with fraudulant complaints on a daily basis but in this instance, it has cost me around £90-00 to replace maps soaked in cola plus my briefcase that remains servicable albeit stained!

Am I right to expect fizzy drinks NOT to explode in the boot of a car during the first week of May? or am I being naive?
Old 02-07-2006, 23:14   #2
God Member

Re: I Don't Like Complaining.

errrr well if it's expected for cans to explode in warm weather as the manager seemed to think then surely they should include a warning on the labeling. As they don't I presume the manufacturers therefore don't expect them to explode!!!!!

Keep at it busman

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 23:18   #3
Give, give, give member

You are right to complain.

If their goods can't be carried in transit in a car boot safely, without a warning printed on the can, threaten them with court action. Would this also happen inside the car? A child could be injured or an accident could happen if it distracted the driver when it exploded.

Stick to your guns. Try Customer Service at Tesco H.Q. Persistance usally pays off with these people in most cases.

If all else fails do what I do...lie.

Saying your cousin is a researcher for BBC's Watchdog programme usually helps me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 23:26   #4
Member.

I don’t see why they should explode because of the heat in the boot or the case. I carry items under pressure quite often and have never known it to happen. Even so Busman I would expect to be compensated for that kind of loss if they couldn’t prove liability. And like Harwood says, if there is a risk of explosion it should be written on the Can. I can remember warnings many years ago on old pop bottles and jars stating “Do not shake or expose to heat” but other than that. Go back and tackle the ******.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 23:28   #5
God Member

This is interesting. The cans of coke, should be fit for the purpose, and I'd imagine that would also include the can itself. You'd reasonably expect the can to contain the drink in normal circumstances, and not leak. As the store has a carpark for shoppers to use, and people put shoppin in the boot of thier car, it would be reasonable to expect the cans not to explode. If the cans were left in high heat all day, or you'd been driving over rough ground and not a road, then maybe they'd have an excuse, but if not, then they're not fit for the purpose.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 23:31   #6
Member.

Just had a look at a Can of Diet Coke, all it says is “Store in a cool dry place”. It doesn’t say anything about the risk of explosion. I don’t see that Tesco’s own brand should be any different.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 23:36   #7
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I don’t see why they should explode because of the heat in the boot or the case. I carry items under pressure quite often and have never known it to happen.
Gotta hit the sack, my photos are over-size but will reduce them and post tomorrow - - You are right Doug, I have often carried fizzy drink but have never had a problem like this before.
Old 03-07-2006, 00:28   #8
I am Banned

so i assume they dont deliver cans of pop in summer ?

a whole artic waggon full of cans ready to explode dosnt sound realistic

the manager is full of crap , practice complaining and do it infront of as many people as you can ( excuse the pun )
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 00:39   #9
God Member

has anyone on here ever known a can to explode or split? cos I never have. I've known a plastic 2ltre bottle to explode, never a can.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
has anyone on here ever known a can to explode or split? cos I never have. I've known a plastic 2ltre bottle to explode, never a can.
yes and it will make a right mess of your microwave
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:56   #11
Resident Waffler

I've noticed something about these particular cans of Tesco Cola. You know when you open a ring pull can how the level of liquid inside is slightly below the top? Well with these Tesco ones (we had a couple which didn't explode or expand so we drank those) the liquid was right to the top of the can so it actually came over onto the top surface when the ring pull was flicked and opened. Perhaps that's the problem. Maybe they are too full and it doesn't leave room for the liquid to expand when warm.

In the car we've got a couple of places between the front seats for cans to sit and quite often have one or two plonked in there. Supposing one of those had decided to explode when we were driving along?

Incidentlly "explode" refers to the ring pull being blown off and the liquid escaping - no shrapnel or anything from splinterd cans - but even so it could be distracting and dangerous enough to cause an accident. And yes, exactly how are you supposed to get them home from the store in summer if they shouldn't be in the boot of a car in hot weather?

As an amusing little post-script to this: We went on holiday to Malta at Half Term and the week before we went they'd had a heatwave. The fridge in our "complex/hotel appartment" (that's a like a flat but not self-catering just several rooms rather than a bedroom) had been turned down to compensate. However, when we got there the weather had cooled down considerably. We got a couple of cans which we put in the fridge to keep cool but at that point we didn't know it had been turned down. When we came back to it later that evening they had frozen and the ring pulls forced off! Have cans got somethng against us? If they're not exploding with the heat they're exploding with the cold!!!

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 03-07-2006 at 08:27.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:01   #12
Resting in Peace

I have found that there "own brands" The metal the cans are made of is a lot thinner than the proper stuff too.

Last edited by Mick; 03-07-2006 at 07:04.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19   #13
Senior Member+

I work on customer service and what the manager of tesco said to you certainly was not good customer service now was it he did in no way try to help you! if i was you i would have took his name too and put forward a complaint against him.

I will suggest you do as the others have advised and go back and make that complaint it will be confidence boosting to yourself dont back down and dont get aggressive as that never works and you will be asked to leave. But you have a fair point and this should be delt with try with your local store again if you still have no help then take his name and go back to head office.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:54   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
I work on customer service and what the manager of tesco said to you certainly was not good customer service now was it he did in no way try to help you! if i was you i would have took his name too and put forward a complaint against him.
That sounds good to me as well. Make an appointment to see the store manager, no one else but the store Manager will do, as well as complaining about the cans themselves you should complain about the way the duty manager treated you. Don't forget to mention you have already had a reply from Tesco Customer Services and they said return to local store. If they are being funny try informing them you will write again to Customer Services complaining about the Manager and Duty Manager. Take a notepad with you and when you first start talking with the manager make sure he/she can see you are making a note of his/her name. It might be worth making notes about what happened, what the Duty Manager said and what Customer Services said before you go again, it's easy to forget what you wanted to say when you start talking. If things are not going your way tell them you will sell your pictures and story to the Sun for the cost of your new maps and briefcase.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:51   #15
God Member

Mr Busman chuck, if you have no joy, don't get mad ..... just get even.

Tell this 'nice' man that it's the ring pull that's the problem. Offer him a can of the cola to test the durability of the ring pull for himself ........ one which, of course, you have vigourously shook out of his visibily. Now understandably, he's going to be a tad upset at his drenching so offer him words of comfort, such as, "whoopsie daisy, that one was fizzy wasn't it!" Also please remember to be a gentleman, carry a clean hankerchief in your pocket so no one embarrasses him further by pointing out he has cola dripping from his chin.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..