Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2003, 18:59   #16

Post Re: Accrington is rubbish

well i'm proud of my roots and where i come from - i travel a lot and everywhere i go people have heard of accrington.
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2003, 19:15   #17

[quote author=Kisser link=board=general;num=1049803982;start=0#15 date=05/16/03 at 19:59:03]well i'm proud of my roots and where i come from - i travel a lot and everywhere i go people have heard of accrington.[/quote]

well said kisser! I travel a lot as well and I am always proud to say I am from Accrington!   [smiley=da.gif]
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 18:01   #18

Is any job as a waitress in a REALLY GOOD place in Accrington? ???
Nastya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2003, 21:15   #19
Resting in Peace

you want to try living in Preston ,
when i moved over here in 1990 i found the people very frendly and helpfull the area was clean and tidy it was like moveing to another world .
this town is great i wouldent move back .
:
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2003, 17:40   #20
I am Banned

I moved here from Preston around 1990 as well. spooky. I went to Clayton Le Moors for a year or two and now in Accy for hmmm 10+ years

The only thing I miss from Preston is a game of 9 card Don on a Thursday night

Slowly but surely set my roots down here.. Kids born here. No intention of ever moving and I am as much a part of Accy as I ever was preston.. Even a season ticket holder on Accy Stanley now.

HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2003, 19:26   #21
Resting in Peace

with regards to harryx
i used to live in frenchwood (malvern avenue) ist a lot better over here than it ever was there .
at lest people talk to you over here .
the rubbish situation is getting a bit bad here but we are getting new bins which should help .
its only becouse pepole put there rubbish out to soon so the cats and dogs and kids can get in it and spread it about the new bins should stop this.
;D
Old 22-06-2003, 08:44   #22
I am Banned

Oh well.. Ya where probably glad to get out of Frenchwood then

Last place I lived was down by the river on Hartington rd.. But on Avenham for a while before that (one step down from frenchwood) . Also lived up N H Lane. Plungi, Fylde rd... Moved around preston over the years

Accrington is better for bringing up up kids IMHO. More for them to do. clubs and associations after school that you wouldnt let them travel accross Preston for on there own on a friday night.

Old 24-06-2003, 12:55   #23

Although I live in exile in Stockport now, I'll always regard myself as an Accy lad and Accrington will always be "home".

It's a great town which has suffered a lot over the last 40 years from the decline of its traditional industries. But Accringtonians have coped well with this, proving what a resilient bunch of people they are.

I come up regularly on Saturdays in the football season to watch Stanley and I like to have a little mooch around town before the match. It's nice to see the market has moved back to its "proper" place on Peel Street. A great improvement on that concrete umbrella monstrosity - an architectural mistake of the 60's.

Sad to see the much-loved red and blue Accy buses have disappeared, though. The town just doesn't seem the same without them.
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 19:37   #24
Resting in Peace

with regard the market
i used to run a computer stall on there before i had a heart attack
there was much more space on the old market with lots of storage underneath .
but we had a great time personaly i prefere the old market ,they could have spent halve the money referbishing the old one and the rest on the death trap they call a bus station.
Old 24-06-2003, 19:42   #25
I am Banned

The new market is harder to walk round. As it used to be you could uniformly (is that a word?) walk up and down each isle looking at eather side..

Old 25-06-2003, 12:48   #26

Well, you guys use it more than a non-resident like me so I'll have to bow to your opinions. Still think the old market looked a right shed, though!
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 17:33   #27
Resting in Peace

it was but with the money 9.5 million spent on the new one ,
it could have been refurbished new stalls put in
then it would have been a lot better and bigger than the one we have now which by the way is exactley where the market was in 1950 .
they must have had a reason for moveing it in the first place could it be so they could have a bigger market ???
this one is half the size and restricts the bus station.
Old 28-06-2003, 20:24   #28

At least Accy hasn't got piles like Sheffield!

I remember the old market hall, have they pulled it down then? or are you talikg about the open market?

Both my parents come from Accy and I used to love visiting the grandparents, I went back a few years ago and the deterioration was very sad, the first thing that struck me was the amount of rubbish lying around the backs.
Old 29-06-2003, 14:35   #29
Resting in Peace

The market hall is still there they are going to do it up.
the open market is round the market hall back in the same place as it was in 1950.
Old 07-07-2003, 19:44   #30

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
We'll have less of that here please! - Forum Admin
poppylebrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..