Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2010, 18:42   #61
God Member

Re: Accrington Liars' Weekly

this so called 'bickering' Andrew is HYNDBURNS opinion on things, how else would people get a chance to air their views and actually be listened to? Britters obviously never listens
Old 16-09-2010, 18:42   #62
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
My post was aimed at the council as a whole,your name was not included in the text.
I am in any case warming to your apparent honesty and hope all turns out well for you.

I just believe that council should get on with the job in hand and stop bickering in public.
To be fair, there isn't actually any bickering going on. This, as with others, is a rather one-sided thread and I wish that Cllrs Britcliffe and Haworth would actually post once in a while rather than simply observing on a daily basis and then prowling the corridors of HBC saying how disgraceful Accrington Web is.

We seriously need some Conservative councillors on here for a decent debate about the important issues in Hyndburn and enable a startled populace to actually read the views of their representatives beyond a few bits of election literature every four years. So many people told me on the doorstep that they were never saw anyone except at election times that it made me even more determined not to be one of those councillors if I got voted in. The internet is one way of interacting, surgeries and letters to residents are another which is what has started happening with me in Rishton.

Getting your face in the paper is one thing, but for God's sake talk to the people who are paying your allowances and justify your decisions. After four months I'm having to do it in Rishton and I cost around one sixth of the money that Britcliffe does.

The people of Hyndburn put us where we are, we should be permanently accountable.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 18:46   #63
God Member

everybodies entitled to their opinion, things should be discussed in public apparantley we live in a democracy not a facist state keep it up. ps the tories are bricking it look whats happened in blackburn hyndburn next?
Old 16-09-2010, 18:49   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
get it right....us mere liars.
Just call me Pinocchio
Old 16-09-2010, 18:51   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
this so called 'bickering' Andrew is HYNDBURNS opinion on things, how else would people get a chance to air their views and actually be listened to? Britters obviously never listens
I don't think constructive debate on how many days the market hall should be open is bickering. It's not exactly all constructive though. Some of it seems to be just anger at the fact that there is a majority on the council that support Peter Britcliffe and some people disagree with the decisions he makes with the majority backing.
Old 16-09-2010, 18:55   #66
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

We seriously need some Conservative councillors on here for a decent debate about the important issues in Hyndburn
This may be your view I suspect your aiming in the direction the howling gale is coming from, which only means wet legs for you.

Our leader would probably prefer that NO Councillors of any leaning lower themselves to talk to the proles.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 18:56   #67
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think constructive debate on how many days the market hall should be open is bickering. It's not exactly all constructive though. Some of it seems to be just anger at the fact that there is a majority on the council that support Peter Britcliffe and some people disagree with the decisions he makes with the majority backing.
That majority is now a slim 2, but still a majority so why not call a full council for next week if he's making such popular decisions?

Why doesn't he or one of his acolytes come onto the forum in the way that the Labour councillors do and justify their policies?

You may go for the 'smoke and mirrors' approach of simply getting away with it but in the end people want a face they can see all the time, not simply when the coast is clear.

Old 16-09-2010, 18:59   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Its not very constructive to ignore the actual traders i reckon, but doubt ya will take that on board.
Old 16-09-2010, 19:04   #69
God Member

Quote:
That majority is now a slim 2, but still a majority so why not call a full council for next week if he's making such popular decisions?

Why doesn't he or one of his acolytes come onto the forum in the way that the Labour councillors do and justify their policies?

You may go for the 'smoke and mirrors' approach of simply getting away with it but in the end people want a face they can see all the time, not simply when the coast is clear.
Perhaps they have lives outside of being a councillor? If I was never able to contact my councillor because of life outside of being a councillor I'd be annoyed and they wouldn't get my vote at the next election.

Of course I want someone who will justify their policies. They often have done at council meetings I have attended or read about in the local newspaper. I don't require them to come on Accyweb though. If it's absolutely crucial for a resident to have their councillor on Accyweb, then don't vote for one that doesn't come on!
Old 16-09-2010, 19:10   #70
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Perhaps they have lives outside of being a councillor? If I was never able to contact my councillor because of life outside of being a councillor I'd be annoyed and they wouldn't get my vote at the next election.

Of course I want someone who will justify their policies. They often have done at council meetings I have attended or read about in the local newspaper. I don't require them to come on Accyweb though. If it's absolutely crucial for a resident to have their councillor on Accyweb, then don't vote for one that doesn't come on!
Your Hyndburn Tories are currently obsessed with dragging the market traders into the 21st century and yet won't embrace the technology themselves and converse with their electorate online.

Pots and kettles.

Oh, and just explain the term 'wi-fi' to Cllr Haworth since she is the portfolio holder currently responsible for it in the Market Hall and seems to be under the impression that it is already installed. She tried to have a laugh at my expense on that point this morning but I don't think she realised that the joke was on her.

Old 16-09-2010, 19:12   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its not very constructive to ignore the actual traders i reckon, but doubt ya will take that on board.
Well doubt it if you want. You have nothing to base the doubt on.

The local rag suggests that traders are split. I haven't spoken to traders myself. Would have to do that before being for or against.
Old 16-09-2010, 19:15   #72
God Member

Quote:
Your Hyndburn Tories are currently obsessed with dragging the market traders into the 21st century and yet won't embrace the technology themselves and converse with their electorate online.

Pots and kettles.

Oh, and just explain the term 'wi-fi' to Cllr Haworth since she is the portfolio holder currently responsible for it in the Market Hall and seems to be under the impression that it is already installed. She tried to have a laugh at my expense on that point this morning but I don't think she realised that the joke was on her.
If I e-mailed my councillor now, 'embracing technology', would I get a reply? My guess would be yes, and that's exactly what I want from my councillor. Do I need them to be on Accyweb? No.
Old 16-09-2010, 19:16   #73
God Member

So if the traders who are against 6 day trading leave, that means that the Market Hall will be more empty than it is already.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 19:30   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I wish that Cllrs Britcliffe and Haworth would actually post once in a while rather than simply observing on a daily basis and then prowling the corridors of HBC saying how disgraceful Accrington Web is.
How they must rue the day they totally wasted the £591,000.00 Hyndburn was awarded, for the council to run a community website.

Row flares over £591,000 spent on outdated website - Accrington Observer

Costly website a ?desperate failure? - Accrington Observer

If only they'd kept it, and their total control, there would be nothing for them to complain about, in the lying stakes.

Life in Hyndburn was never quite the same again, after it's pitiful demise.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 19:33   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So if the traders who are against 6 day trading leave, that means that the Market Hall will be more empty than it is already.
Let's not dwell on the negative.

Less market traders equal more space for the creative arts scene in Hyndburn.

Every cloud has a badly knitted silver lining.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..