Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2010, 21:32   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accrington Liars' Weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well doubt it if you want. You have nothing to base the doubt on.

The local rag suggests that traders are split. I haven't spoken to traders myself. Would have to do that before being for or against.
well i and others have spoken to traders inside the market hall, so are you calling me a liar once again? yer as bad as P.B.
Old 16-09-2010, 22:58   #77
Common Sense Member

Andrew seems to do a lot of sitting on the fence, perhaps the Conservatives aren't really for him after all. It's all these textbooks you see, they block the view of the real world.

You can't read up on life. You have to throw yourself into it, find out just how hard things are for the proletariat and make a decision based on that.

Once you've worked your nuts off for a few years, paid a fortune in tax and had any number of people try to extract money from you in whatever way they can then your view of the world will change.

As time goes by you will come to resent parting with every penny to someone who hasn't really deserved it.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 23:35   #78
Common Sense Member

Quote:
If I e-mailed my councillor now, 'embracing technology', would I get a reply? My guess would be yes, and that's exactly what I want from my councillor. Do I need them to be on Accyweb? No.
Still using the old trick of latching onto one aspect of a debate and ignoring everything else?

Go to the top of the class.

Old 16-09-2010, 23:54   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well andrew probably would get a reply, cos hes a muppet. someone posted on here the other week said hadn't had a reply fer couple of months.
Old 16-09-2010, 23:57   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Forget it, Andrews very much like "The Leaders Office" these days, posts n then gone.
see i poked him wi me stick n got a result.
Old 17-09-2010, 06:54   #81
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
How they must rue the day they totally wasted the Ł591,000.00 Hyndburn was awarded, for the council to run a community website.

Row flares over Ł591,000 spent on outdated website - Accrington Observer

Costly website a ?desperate failure? - Accrington Observer

If only they'd kept it, and their total control, there would be nothing for them to complain about, in the lying stakes.

Life in Hyndburn was never quite the same again, after it's pitiful demise.

What was that figure again? Ł591,000 you say? Of public money?

As with the Market Hall, I'm sure they did a feasibility study with proper performance standards in place to ensure that the project had a reasonable chance of success. I doubt that they could have put together a website for any less, you can only shop around so much.

You wouldn't just put something in place without a bit of research first, would you? Imagine if a project cost around four times that sum and you didn't listen to people who knew what they were doing, can you imagine the nightmare that would be?

Divided opinion over Accrington Market changes (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 17-09-2010, 07:15   #82
God Member

Quote:
well i and others have spoken to traders inside the market hall, so are you calling me a liar once again? yer as bad as P.B.
Not at all, don't assume. Have you spoken to every market trader then? If they're all against it, why are the Observer reporting something different?

Ah Ken. You do make me smile. You know when someone has run out of arguments when they have to attempt to patronise you. Didn't you do that recently with someone here? Seems like a defence mechanism.

Last edited by andrewb; 17-09-2010 at 07:17.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 07:23   #83
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Not at all, don't assume. Have you spoken to every market trader then? If they're all against it, why are the Observer reporting something different?

Ah Ken. You do make me smile. You know when someone has run out of arguments when they have to attempt to patronise you. Didn't you do that recently with someone here? Seems like a defence mechanism.
I preferred the post before you edited it about education.

The Observer is not exactly the most balanced mouthpiece for Accrington these days, as you are no doubt aware. Newspaper articles are all good and well but you can't beat actually talking to the electorate and letting people see you as you really are.

Unfortunately, in your case this doesn't seem to have worked quite so well as you might have hoped.

Old 17-09-2010, 07:36   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Unfortunately, in your case this doesn't seem to have worked quite so well as you might have hoped.
What might I have hoped Ken?
Old 17-09-2010, 15:33   #85
Beacon of light

Andrew why don't you tell us.......and I do believe that the Observer picked three traders out of each camp...it would have looked a bit suspicious if they had pickeed all those for the option and none of those against.

I worked on the Market in 1963(in the Slingers cooked meat shop) and Wednesday we opened until 1pm...we hardly ever took enough money to justify us being there(two of us)....and I recall Wednesday being the Vim and Brillo day...shelves were emptied and cleaned...because anyone who had any money to spend would go over to Blackburn and visit the market there.
Stall holders know their own trade, and should be allowed to open if they want to...but should not be forced to open, thereby creating a financial loss for them.
I can see this being the death of what was once a vibrant Market Hall......you only have to listen to the comments of the people when you go into the Market Hall.....it has become a sterile place, a place that is lacking in the atmosphere, the hustle and bustle isn't there...and it won't ever compete with Tesco.
All that money wasted!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 15:42   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
no i have not spoken to em all, but some have spoken to me, so you saying i have nothing to base me comment on is another of your lies IMHO, as you are going off the local rag, new traders have had to accept a 6 day lease or not get one seemingly, so its obvious to all bar the totally stupid, some cannot say they are against it, by the way how many inside traders have you spoken to?
Old 17-09-2010, 17:57   #87
Senior Member+

I was disappointed to hear this week Peter say "he had no faith in (me) as an MP and had been written directly to ministers (past tense)".

First of all I spoke to him in a kind and conciliatory way at the local elections. I wrote to him offering the hand of friendship at Westminster saying he could come down and we'd help in any way we could and look after him. The reply was 'to meet him at Scaitcliffe House' which was an improvement on the previous 'never meeting'.

Last week (9 Sept) I asked the minister for local government how many times Hyndburn Council including Peter Britcliffe had made any representations to him as minister in a Parliamentary Question and his reply is 'none' which is in Hansard and on Theyworkforyou.com.

The Council should be making representations. Hyndburn has received the biggest cuts in Britain so far.

It would appear there is no truth in the statement "written to ministers". I did not reply.

I can only reiterate; I want to work with Mr Britcliffe and I will not respond to these comments but encourage a relationship that will benefit the people who we represent.

Last edited by g jones; 17-09-2010 at 18:05.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 18:04   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I was disappointed to hear this week Peter say "he had no faith in me as an MP and had been writing directly to ministers".

First of all I spoke to him in a kind and conciliatory way at the local elections. I wrote to him off the hand of friendship at Westminster saying he could come down and we'd help in any way. The reply was to meet him at Scaitcliffe House which was an improvement on 'never meeting'.

Last week (9 Sept) I asked the minister for local government how many times Hyndburn Council including Peter Britcliffe had made any representation to him and he replied 'none' which is in Hansard and Theyworkforyou.com.

It would appear it was a fantasy story to the public at the meeting that had no basis in truth and whose end was continue bitter and nasty attacks such as the one on my Grandmothers house.

I can only reiterate; I want to work with Mr Britcliffe and I will not respond to these comments but encourage a relationship that will benefit the people who we represent.
The mind really does boggleI've read it myself Graham
Old 17-09-2010, 18:31   #89
God Member

Quote:
no i have not spoken to em all, but some have spoken to me, so you saying i have nothing to base me comment on is another of your lies IMHO, as you are going off the local rag, new traders have had to accept a 6 day lease or not get one seemingly, so its obvious to all bar the totally stupid, some cannot say they are against it, by the way how many inside traders have you spoken to?
You said 'Its not very constructive to ignore the actual traders i reckon, but doubt ya will take that on board.'

I said you have nothing to base that doubt on. You still don't. You speaking to traders has nothing in the slightest to do with doubting me taking something on board.

I agree with you that it's not constructive to ignore traders.
Old 17-09-2010, 19:57   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
everybodies entitled to their opinion, things should be discussed in public apparantley we live in a democracy not a facist state keep it up. ps the tories are bricking it look whats happened in blackburn hyndburn next?
and here BBC News - Lib Dem councillor defects to Labour Party in Sheffield

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..