Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2013, 15:32   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Pals/Peel house shambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is it Mearleys?
nope
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2013, 16:02   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Never had a problem with our Doc can always get an appointment when needed or a nurse
even an x-ray only took 2 days at Accy Vic through the doc
I have to go to the chest clinic at Blackburn soon too.

Oh and I am not telling which docs it is
Great family doc with a good sense of humour too
Pretty sure we are at the same one Mick - and I am not giving names out either.
I have had 2 visits this last week from the doctor, neither one requested but just to check that I was doing OK with my knee.
Appointments almost always on same day if you ring at 0800 or very soon afterwards, never had a problem in getting appointments within a day or two.
Old 25-04-2013, 16:12   #18
God Member

I haven't visited the doc for the past 5 years.

Some people I know get called for an annual health check by their doc - I never have been. At age 70 there are things wrong with me - but I recall being given the diagnosis 'old age' when I was in my 50s.

I reckon nowt to jumping through hoops to get an appointment with someone who will just remind me that I am in 'god's waiting room' and have moved a bit nearer the front of the queue.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 16:25   #19
Beacon of light

With Peel House/Pals...it isn't about there not being enough doctors, it is about the things that make money for the practice. GP's are less about patient care and more about business and finance.
I stay away.......I do not want to be MOT'd...this time would be far better spent on treating those who are in need of medical attention.

The management of the practice could be better.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 16:36   #20
God Member

I'm with the same practice as Neil but I'm with the original one in Blackburn, been with them for 17 years and never had a problem getting an appointment, haven't seen my own doc for several years but I don't mind at all, we always get in on the day we need and always get sorted
Old 25-04-2013, 17:14   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Have just been to the pals centre this morning to try again to get an appoitment to see a Doctor,last went 3 weeks ago and was told Dr Woodcock(who I been seeing since the late Dr Gavin retired years ago)was not taking appoitments till May,now today I'm told June asked if I could make appoitment to see Dr Cooper but was told no appoitments till May and I would have to ring on a daily basis for an appoitment for that day(try ringing and getting through!!) and would allocated a Doctor. I said what about today reply: all appoitments gone for today.what about next week reply:no we dont do that.
my point is what is going on,it was never like this even when the surgery was in a front room in Avenue Parade. Is this progress??
Demand an home visit, they can't refuse, I hate it when you hear stories like this, When I lived in Hassy the doctor there had this type of appointment system, if I rang up and they said there were no appointments for over a week I just said I'd have an home visit, that I was actual ill today not a week next pancake Tuesday, somehow they managed to push me in somewhere
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 17:23   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
With Peel House/Pals...it isn't about there not being enough doctors, it is about the things that make money for the practice. GP's are less about patient care and more about business and finance.
I stay away.......I do not want to be MOT'd...this time would be far better spent on treating those who are in need of medical attention.

The management of the practice could be better.
The management of the practice is diabolical, would take a great deal of change to be any better,in industry i am sure they would be binned.
Old 25-04-2013, 17:30   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Where do you go now? We find Rhyddings on Union Road good
Wel too have been going to Rhyddings Surgery on Union Rd. For years. You can always get in if you need a doc. Dr. Prout and Dr.Smith are partners in the practice, I find them really good. My daughter recently had a second bleed on the brain and since coming out of the Royal Preston has had lots of support from Dr.Prout. Highly recommended.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 17:31   #24
God Member

just an extra note as to peel house when i insisted on seeing my then doctor Dr Woodcock i was told that i no longer had a doctor i had to see whoever was available

most of the then peel house staff now work at my new doctors and its so much better so it does show its a management issue at peel house not the staff

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 18:08   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Well too have been going to Rhyddings Surgery on Union Rd. For years. You can always get in if you need a doc. Dr. Prout and Dr.Smith are partners in the practice, I find them really good. My daughter recently had a second bleed on the brain and since coming out of the Royal Preston has had lots of support from Dr.Prout. Highly recommended.
Dr. Samantha Prout was an house officer on ward C1 at Queens Park Hospital back in the early 90's, she was a very good doctor, I would have changed to her a long time ago, but my present doctor, who I've had for the last 27 years, has been great with me and his daughter has now taken me on her books now and she's brilliant
westendlass likes this.
Old 26-04-2013, 08:41   #26
God Member

I've been with Majoorans for years ( now Oswald medical centre) and whilst they aren;t perfect I can usually get an appointment same day if I want that or they also do a late night surgery which is useful for those of us that work far from home. other than that we use the drop in clinic at the hospital if we need anything at weekends etc.

I'd suggest if you aren't happy vote with your feet to somewhere better, the short acclimatisation period will soon pay off with better overall care
Judith Addison likes this.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:06   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I've been with Majoorans for years ( now Oswald medical centre) and whilst they aren;t perfect I can usually get an appointment same day if I want that or they also do a late night surgery which is useful for those of us that work far from home. other than that we use the drop in clinic at the hospital if we need anything at weekends etc.

I'd suggest if you aren't happy vote with your feet to somewhere better, the short acclimatisation period will soon pay off with better overall care
Totally agree Ian, big isn't always best, which is proved by this so called medical centre, not much of a medical centre when you have to have foresight and make an appointment for when you think you'll be ill
Old 26-04-2013, 09:42   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
I'm with the same practice as Neil but I'm with the original one in Blackburn, been with them for 17 years and never had a problem getting an appointment, haven't seen my own doc for several years but I don't mind at all, we always get in on the day we need and always get sorted
We have been up to yours a couple of times when we wanted to see a specific Doctor. They said he was up there so I said no problem, when can I go up and see him
Old 26-04-2013, 09:44   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The management of the practice is diabolical, would take a great deal of change to be any better,in industry i am sure they would be binned.
Am I hearing a hint of Tory privatisation coming out of a die hard Labour supporter
Old 26-04-2013, 09:47   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
most of the then peel house staff now work at my new doctors and its so much better so it does show its a management issue at peel house not the staff
You have to blame the Doctors not the staff, it's their surgery and they are responsible for making sure things run as they should. People must be telling the Doctors how poor it is so the Doctors should be sorting out their managers. It's the fault of those at the top if those at the bottom are not performing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..