Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2006, 21:47   #76
Always EVIL within us

Re: Accrington Pals project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It just so happens that I am quite good at filling in these forms and have been quite successful in getting the funding for some local groups.
This is one of the things that anger me Gayle, not you personally, but I just cannot understand why it is necessary to pay someone who knows the "buzz" words.

WHY should it be necessary?

If the committee of an elderly folks home put in a request for funds, providing they state who they are, how much they require and for what purpose, that should be all that it needs! even if a red pen is used and is scribed with an elderly shaky hand. I assume the decision makers get off their butts and check the validity of any request - or do they?

In effect, those people in real need are being discriminated against because they are not in a position to pay people like yourself to put in their requests for funds.
Old 24-04-2006, 22:03   #77
God Member

That's why I continually offer to groups to help them get the funding they need. I don't know how many times I've offered on here to help community groups and can I tell you how many people on here who have taken me up on the offer - a big zero! I do it for free and because I think the money should be coming to Hyndburn, it takes an hour or so of my time to get the bones of the bid written for them and I leave them to complete the details.

But just for a minute put yourself in the position of a judging panel - you get two applications in but only have enough money to decide. One of them has all the questions answered and justifies why they need the money and how they need the money, the second one simply says we live in an old folks home and we need some money. It is not enough to say 'we need the money', everyone needs the money - there has to be some way to judge it. How many people will benefit, what ages are they, is it an event or to buy them some books, have they held the event before, have they had any funding before and how did they spend it, will visitors get to enjoy it or is it just for residents, can they not raise money through holding raffles, are they a reputable old folks home or is it just a group of old friends who share a house, can they prove that?

They can not send adjudicators out for every single small award so they have to ask questions so they know whether it's a genuine needy request.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Old 24-04-2006, 22:07   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747

In effect, those people in real need are being discriminated against because they are not in a position to pay people like yourself to put in their requests for funds.
Can I stress that I don't get paid for this sort of stuff other than through Hyndburn Women's Forum which is a different sort of set up because I actually deliver the events as well.

But they don't pay if they don't get the money - the principle is that funder finders add 10% or so onto the bid and that pays them.

Old 24-04-2006, 22:12   #79
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
But they don't pay if they don't get the money - the principle is that funder finders add 10% or so onto the bid and that pays them.
I don't see a problem with that in principal. It is like paying a project manager to manage your project isn't it?
Old 25-04-2006, 08:16   #80
God Member

That's how most funder finders work, yes Neil.

You have to ask the question - if you need £4,500 to run a project, build an extension to a youth club, hold an event - are you able to get that money on your own? If the answer is that you would probably be refused funding then surely it makes sense to have a professional, or even a knowlegeable amateur, apply for £5,000, pay them £500 if you get the money and have your £4,500 awarded to you.

As it happens, I don't personally charge at the moment because the odd few that I do don't really take up too much time but I did at one time consider doing it professionally. Obviously, if I was elected I'd continue to do it for free as I would consider it part of the remit of being a councillor but if I don't get elected then it's certainly an option.

Old 25-04-2006, 18:53   #81
Senior Member+

It may alarm several webbers on here to learn that our primary age children are not taught a great deal of local history;indeed my 10 year old had been taught nothing about the Accrington Pals until she took a magazine article in about the Pals and asked why they hadn't studied the story. The following week thay had a guest speaker in school to talk about the Pals and had to do research about it as a project.I would give Gayle's project my approval if it helps to educate both adults and children about the Town's loss.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:29   #82
God Member

Oh, well, another defeat this week.

We just heard that we didn't get the funding for this project that we'd applied for. It happens sometimes and as I've said on other threads worthy projects sometimes get refused. It's a shame because I think it was an interesting project that could have been a benefit to the town but it was being judged by someone who probably has never heard of Accrington and has no idea what relevance the Pals have to this day in the area.

Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..