Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2006, 12:31   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Creationism versus Evolution

Christian religion tries to teach us that God made the world in 6 days or was it the Universe. When this miraculous event occurred seems to be a closely guarded secret although 6,000 years is a time scale being banded about.

Science tries to tell us that the Universe is some 4.5 billion years old and the Earth a bit younger.

If the Creationists are right can they explain the dinosaurs? We have fossil evidence to establish that dinosaurs actually existed millions of years ago and that is a long way back from 6,000 years. We also have fossil evidence that the homo sapien has existed for more than 6,000 years. In both cases radio carbon dating, although not accurate to the century let alone a year, can differentiate between thousands and millions years.

Evolution is a proven scientific fact otherwise how can we explain racehorses and dogs. It may well be man made evolution by selective breeding but it is still evolution. The same can be said for a variety of plants – edible and decorative. Without selective breeding we would not have wheat, rice, corn etc. Or maybe the first farmers found a stalk of wheat that had more ears on it than the rest and its seeds were planted instead of being eaten. Thus wheat evolved naturally.

Natural evolution occurs when the marrying of genes isn’t as exact as is desired. Tiny mistakes happen and one such mistake could make the offspring slightly different in a good way or a bad way. After that it is a question of survival of the fittest. The good survives to procreate some more, the bad is consigned to nature’s dustbin. Siamese twins is an extreme example and I know one person who was born with three kidneys and also had six toes on each foot.

However there may just be a middle path between the two philosophies. The 6 days may be Universal days that equate to our billions of our years and there was some sort of divine intervention thousands of years ago to selectively breed chimpanzees into homo sapiens, or it could have been just a pure accident.

Until someone produces documentary evidence to back the Creationists view and not just stories from the past (the Bible etc) I have to go along with the Evolution theory.

Have I opened a can of worms?

Last edited by jambutty; 28-04-2006 at 12:33.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2006, 12:42   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Creationism versus Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Have I opened a can of worms?
No you've been listening to the Jerermy Vine show that's all.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 12:51   #3

Reading this is like being in my psychology class......... which is where I would be if the tutor wasn't ill (oh wot a shame!!)
NicolaX
nicola68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 14:15   #4

It seems to me that all creationism needs is faith, something i cant quite grasp. There is evidence for evolution and thats that. Whatever the belief however its the future we should be more interested in.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 15:03   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

I once had a discussion along these lines with a Jehovah's Witness who was trying to sell me the Watchtower. He had an answer to every argument I brought up. Fossils? Put there by God. Why? To be part of the earth. Carbon dating? Figures made up by scientists. Evidence of Continental drift? All arranged by God as part of the pattern. Finally, I asked him why he thought his god wasn't clever enough to have created a world by evolution and he said, "Because he didn't need to. He did it in a week."

Incidentally, Jambutty, my younger daughter was born with 3 kidneys though we had no idea until the extra one became infected and had to be removed when she was 10. Apparently duplex kidneys are far more common than we think.
Old 28-04-2006, 15:18   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Creationism versus Evolution

Yes the JW’s seem to have an answer for everything.

In my last brush with them I asked:
“If Adam and Eve were the first humans and they had two sons who got married, where did their wives come from?”
“Adam and Eve had more than just two sons, they had daughters as well so Cain and Able married their sisters.”
“But God banned incest!”
No reply!
Old 28-04-2006, 15:32   #7
God Member

JB universe approx 15 billion years old give or take a few million Earth approx 4.5 billion give or take. Maybe the almighty was doing a bit of experimenting. Who is to say we are not alone in the universe and some alien dude didnt visit and push apes towards their evolution into man and as a result every now and again pop in for a visit (UFO's) to see how we are doing. If primative people with some intelligence saw them they would more than likely be considered as a God and his angels. The Universe is so vast anything is possible and we know very little so there could be truth in both sides (on the fence collecting splinters).

Scientists can create basic amino acids which are one of the building blocks of life and with the knowledge being gained from DNA studies who is to say that many years from now they might just create intelligent life in a basic form to whom these scientists would be looked upon as gods.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 15:39   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

[quote=SPUGGIE J]. Who is to say we are not alone in the universe and some alien dude didnt visit and push apes towards their evolution into man and as a result every now and again pop in for a visit (UFO's) to see how we are doing. If primative people with some intelligence saw them they would more than likely be considered as a God and his angels.

Eric von Daniken put forward this theory about 40 years ago. I liked some of his conclusions.
Old 28-04-2006, 16:26   #9

I watch two very good documentary recently, has any one seen these?

The God Who Wasn't There

and Who the Bleep do we Think we are

both can be found here

http://indie.imdb.com/index.indie

Removals - no Job too small....or BIG
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 18:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Yes the JW’s seem to have an answer for everything.

In my last brush with them I asked:
“If Adam and Eve were the first humans and they had two sons who got married, where did their wives come from?”
“Adam and Eve had more than just two sons, they had daughters as well so Cain and Able married their sisters.”
“But God banned incest!”
No reply!
maybe cain or able dressed up a chimpanze in sexy underwear , this also could explain why we cant find the missing link
wkd_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 18:52   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd_one
maybe cain or able dressed up a chimpanze in sexy underwear , this also could explain why we cant find the missing link
Does that explain Tarzen and Cheetah????

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 21:55   #12
Senior Member+

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"

No time scale mentioned there, millions,billions,zillions who knows ??

6 "Creative" Days to put life on the earth.

How long is a day to God ??

There is NO evidence that humans have been on this planet any longer than 6,000 years.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 22:47   #13
Give, give, give member

I once used to chat with a very nice lady when I was living in London. She called a couple of times, and left me some books to read about her religion's view on creation.

The books said nothing evolves, everything is at it was when created by God.

If we were all descended from Adam and Eve, whom I presume were middle eastern in appearance, where do the differing skin colours, and differing ethnicities come from, if nothing has ever evolved since the creation?

The lady couldn't give me a satisfactory answer.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 22:52   #14
Senior Member+

This Summer I will go a bit browner..... am I evolving into a black man ?? or could it be that we where created in a unique way, So unique that NO 2 are the same ?
That is good design too me.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 22:56   #15
God Member

yes we are all unique simon but how the heck did so many ethnicities supposedly derive from just two people if evolution didn't play a part????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..