Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 16:33   #1
Give, give, give member

Ad break.

Has anybody ever clicked on the adverts that appear on the threads?

I don't want to make a fuss if nobody has, as l'm sure the revenue comes in handy helping to maintain the site, and the advertisers might get peeved if they read we don't click on them.

Some of them are very properly placed in each thread, ie: Slinky's chat thread gets chatroom links. I've just read Mr T.'s Ackers thread and noticed a link to Tommy Balls, can't see much of a link there though? Unless Mr T. has string fastening his slippers together?

Waiting to see what adverts are placed in this thread with bated breath.

Who does it, a little lady in an office at Google?

Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2005, 17:41   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Ad break.

I don't click on any adverts.

Too much risk of nasties coming to infect my pc, so I leave them all alone

Old 12-05-2005, 17:45   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i don't click on em neither what u can't see can't hurt you.
Old 12-05-2005, 18:51   #4

Aviod the ads like the plague they are bad enough on theTV.
Old 12-05-2005, 22:24   #5
Give, give, give member

Thought so, l've never clicked on the ads here either- sorry advertisers .

When l first posted this thread it had ads for condos and holidays in Florida, now six hours later there are ads for chatrooms, who changed it or is it done automatically?

Last edited by garinda; 12-05-2005 at 23:39.
Old 12-05-2005, 22:44   #6

Someone has a sense of humour Garinda! Chatrooms for girls & boys. See its free for girls but you may have to get your girl guides badge out to prove yourself Garinda!!!Lol
Wonder if that comes under sexual discrimination free for one but not the other?
Old 12-05-2005, 23:08   #7
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I don't click on any adverts.

Too much risk of nasties coming to infect my pc, so I leave them all alone
Totally agree, One of the most annoying is "Smiley Central" They have given me grief in the past but I notice that many members are using their smilies.

Have they reformed? Can someone that uses them let me know please?
Old 12-05-2005, 23:26   #8
I am Banned

ime not sure how accy web adverts work but if it works the way i think it does accy web gets money for each click to the sponsors website so i let the page load then immidiatly shut it down
Old 12-05-2005, 23:41   #9
Give, give, give member

The site must get pennies for carrying the ads though, as well as if we click on them?

Who is going to click on Tommy Ball's link? That's fairly local so it is targeted.

Old 13-05-2005, 02:08   #10
land of hope and glory

click on any of the adds then press back! that way you are contributing to the accy web site as the other site you clicked on registers that you clicked on from the link from accy web. this way you have donated ..... penny from accyweb, you dont have to actually go on the site it still registars from here!if it was a unsafe site i think roy has enough firewalls ....etc to block any viruses or trojans ..etc.
Old 13-05-2005, 05:20   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al
Someone has a sense of humour Garinda! Chatrooms for girls & boys. See its free for girls but you may have to get your girl guides badge out to prove yourself Garinda!!!Lol
Wonder if that comes under sexual discrimination free for one but not the other?
The ads for chatrooms in this thread don't mention free for girls, l think you are thinking of phone chatlines were men spend an exorbitant amount chatting and girls do it for free. I hope you haven't been ripped off?

Don't turn bitter just because you were mistakenly taken in twice in a week. Firstly by the Chinese kidnap victim, and secondly in the chatroom when you presumed my sex and asked to see my daisy on webcam.

Quite cool though, we now have a Tommy Ball's advert in this thread now, and l certainly don't have string between my slingbacks.

Last edited by garinda; 13-05-2005 at 05:23.
Old 13-05-2005, 06:23   #12
Roy
Administrator

I'm going to have to stop this thread. My advertisers do not like the thought of people clicking and then going back. I am an honest publisher and do not want my earnings affected if someone sees this thread. I will respond to a few of the points and questions though.
Some adverts are indeed paid for the click, however, please do not click on the advert unless you are interested in it. It is very easy for the advertisers to see that you have not really looked at their site, this is bad for them and bad for accyweb. The smileys are paid only if you download the software, it is not spyware and is supplied by the askjeeves search company. The national lottery only pay if you sign up to the online service.
Google sends bots in to read the thread and then matches the most relevant adverts it can find to each thread.

The adverts do not cover the costs of AccringtonWeb.

If you ever find an advert that is misleading or results in spyware then please let me know and I will investigate. I do not want 'dodgy' ads on any of my sites.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..