Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2005, 09:58   #1
Junior Member+

back to the TORY accy?

Hello
Just a quick outline.. I.. and others that left Accrington in the mid 80's to "get on my bike" as the then tory goverment told me to do, after they had totaly destroyed the towns industry and public services.. having found this excellent ACCY WEB site .. I have to say I have not read so much right wing stuff since the old days of Micheal Howard and his Thatcherite croonies... we don't want gypsies we don't want asylum seekers, (do the tories ever pick on people that have a vote?) I would urge people that visit this site not to be bullied by the people who seem to make the most noise about thier views as to what Accrington should be.
don't let accrington get slumped into the days of untold unemployed teenagers sitting on the DECK agian.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2005, 10:08   #2

Re: back to the TORY accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
I would urge people that visit this site not to be bullied by the people who seem to make the most noise about thier views as to what Accrington should be.
I agree with you. Sometimes it's the people who shout loudest get their way when really when we live in a democracy it should be down to the majority. Some new ideas are always going to get a few angry nimby's shouting out but that doesn't mean that they should have their own way all the time.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 10:23   #3
Give, give, give member

As someone who got on their bike in the 80's, admittedly side-saddle, and has now returned, l don't think we should beat ourselves up too much about Hyndburn. Things have changed, some for the worse, some for the better.
One difference though is we now have a male Tory Primeminister instead of Thatcher, somethings never change.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 10:35   #4
Junior Member+

Agreed .. but do we want a TORY accrington?
Old 25-03-2005, 10:47   #5
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLass
I agree with you. Sometimes it's the people who shout loudest get their way when really when we live in a democracy it should be down to the majority. Some new ideas are always going to get a few angry nimby's shouting out but that doesn't mean that they should have their own way all the time.
Thankyou for your views.. these "few angry nimby's ? seem to have taken over the site
Old 25-03-2005, 11:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Thankyou for your views.. these "few angry nimby's ? seem to have taken over the site
What annoys me most is that these people (generalisation I know) complain about the state of the borough, then when anyone offers anything to them as an opportunity to improve things the self same people complain that it's not good enough, big enough or likely to ever come to fruition.
Old 25-03-2005, 12:05   #7
Senior Member+

Labour all the way
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 12:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafu01
Labour all the way
I wouldn't go that far - I think they're all as ineffective. Most of the politicians and local councillors spend so much time disagreeing with their opponents simply because they are their opponents that they forget that what we really want is for them to all work together. It shouldn't be about arguing in the council it should be about working together and doing the best for the town.
Old 25-03-2005, 12:12   #9
Senior Member+

I would rather have Labour than tory though
Old 25-03-2005, 12:13   #10
Senior Member+

Yep i agree they should spend less time argueing and more time trying to sort the town out!!
Old 25-03-2005, 12:18   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far - I think they're all as ineffective. Most of the politicians and local councillors spend so much time disagreeing with their opponents simply because they are their opponents that they forget that what we really want is for them to all work together. It shouldn't be about arguing in the council it should be about working together and doing the best for the town.
Ouch! I take that personally. And to think you dont know who your local councillors actually are b4 having a snide? Anyone got a remedy for these bruises on my shins?
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 12:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
Ouch! I take that personally. And to think you dont know who your local councillors actually are b4 having a snide? Anyone got a remedy for these bruises on my shins?
Sorry Graham, actually I do think you are one of the exceptions but I'm just in that steel top cap sort of mood today. I do know who my councillors are, I have the dubious pleasure of living in PB's ward.

What I meant was, for example, that instead of Tories putting forward a budget and then Labour putting forward their own and then arguing about it via the media. Both parties should have been sat down working it out together and presenting it as the Council budget.
Old 25-03-2005, 13:15   #13
God Member

Quote:
Most of the politicians and local councillors spend so much time disagreeing with their opponents simply because they are their opponents that they forget that what we really want is for them to all work together. It shouldn't be about arguing in the council it should be about working together and doing the best for the town.
Ahhh, how sweet and naive. And I suppose that you also expect them to be really supportive and nurturing of each other with lots of group hugging and sharing in a warm fluffy pink sort of way with nary a cross word. Grow up.
Old 25-03-2005, 13:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Ahhh, how sweet and naive. And I suppose that you also expect them to be really supportive and nurturing of each other with lots of group hugging and sharing in a warm fluffy pink sort of way with nary a cross word. Grow up.
No you grow up. If you didn't spend so much time railing at other people you might be able to find something positive to say. It's not naive to want people to work together, communicate and get something done that benefits others. It works like that in business, albeit for the benefit of profit, but people do have to do 'team' work to get things done. What we have in our council is two opposing teams, surely even you can see that that is not good for the town.
Old 25-03-2005, 13:48   #15
God Member

Is it wrong to comment on the failings of authority? Should I meekly mind my own business and be merely grateful for whatever crumbs they are gracious enough to cast my way? I don't think so!

When HBC eventually get something right, I am as even handed with my praise as I am with my expression of contempt.

Yes, in an ideal world everyone would agree with everyone else, there would never be anything wrong, all the bills would be paid on time and there would be nothing to worry about - except the growing number of people slowly going out of their minds with the mindnumbing boredom of it all.

Politics is not like business - I know, I run my own business. If I ran my business in the same way that Britcliffe and his pals run HBC then I very soon wouldn't have one. The problems come when politics is allowed to intrude in to business. I have seen too much of "Office Politics" and the damage it can do, to have any regard for business theorists or the sheep they manage to persuade to follow them. In my world, my employees do what I ask them to do, when I ask them to do it. It matters not one jot whether they fondly imagine themselves to be members of a team or not. They can pretend to be a troupe of Hungarian tap dancers for all I care, so long as they get the job done.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..