Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2005, 21:55   #46

Re: back to the TORY accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
Has thieving gone up??? We have as many gypsies as 30 years ago and they more often than not use one of the 7 sites in Hyndburn. Those that blight bradshaw street/foxhill bank etc.. are not gypsies but new age travellers mostly and they have always blighted Hyndburn when they land.
Can I ask a question of someone? What is the difference between gypsies, new age travellers and all the static caravan sites that have popped up?
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2005, 22:10   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Over to you Charlie please continue this debate we await your response.

For the record I am not a tory I vote for who I think would represent my family and the area I live in the best, at the moment that would be Graham Jones (Labour) who just happened to be who I voted for the last time.
Thanks Bagpuss and I'll carry on giving it my best... Always ready to sit and listen over a pint... you'll find me up the Peel Park often. There should be another newsletter going out in the next fortnight about whats going on Peel.

In short housing is dictated by ELEVATE and the Council and its ongoing long term. In the short term I have tried to do the usual things and concentrate external funding on the green areas of Peel Park/Arden Hall/brown field sites. In 18 months we have probably reached £110,000 funding so far. £45l PP/£65k AH.

High priority has been housing [EH], cleansing, roads and street lighting. There are also some other bigger projects. Local shops [which have declined], pref. co-ops and pref. with health foods, local produce. With govt help and residents Development Trust with the help of a HA as well [Accent?]. Setting up the NM board is vital in pulling the area back together. This is nearly done.

The major problem is the poor are getting poorer and the rich richer and rather than democracy, quango-itus is vogue.

However we try and will reverse this and [modern/part by part let] social housing is a top priority in wiping out landlords and clearing slum housing. And a draconian clampdown on those that dont want to co-operate [as asking them never works] in making the town better; ie A Zero Tolerance appoach [as we have clearly stated] on dog fouling, litter, fly tipping, dirty back yards, slum/cheapskate landlords, nusiance neighbours, dirty business's & other dodgy activities such as fraud, misrepresentation and breach of planning [particulalry by business's]. Hence we need at least 24 wardens and aclose relationship with the police. We are looking into the possibility of training 'special' wardens like the police.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 26-03-2005 at 22:11.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:11   #48
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
bloody immigrants .... send the buggers back....
I'm glad you agree Graham. Sorry for as you said in an earlier post "for cherry picking a line or word or phrase".

Has thieving gone up??? Of course it has no one can argue with that.

Finally I don't believe there was 7 sites for gypsies 30 years ago.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 26-03-2005 at 22:19.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:29   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I'm glad you agree Graham. Sorry for as you said in an earlier post "for cherry picking a line or word or phrase".

Has thieving gone up??? Of course it has no one can argue with that.

Finally I don't believe there was 7 sites for gypsies 30 years ago.
I think thieving has partly gone up on the back of greed and extension of the personal politic over community politics.

The 7 sites; 6 are private and the 1 at Huncoat Council owned. All have to have running water, sanitation etc.. and be licensed. Eventually the good travellers should be differentiated from the bad.
Old 26-03-2005, 22:30   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Has thieving gone up??? We have as many gypsies as 30 years ago and they more often than not use one of the 7 sites in Hyndburn. Those that blight bradshaw street/foxhill bank etc.. are not gypsies but new age travellers mostly and they have always blighted Hyndburn when they land.

There are I think 2 asylum seekers in Hyndburn. Do you mean immigrants and do you really mean to many asians/pakistanis but daren't say it?

Going over to another country, telling them their laws are wrong [land laws, building laws in Spain/everywhere else] opening their food shops [chip shops and johns smiths pubs serving cheap sh1t], refusing to accept the countries customs who have allowed you to come there [Costa del fish n chips 'n' John Bull]. Living seperate lives and not intergrating [New South Wales to La to Spain, there's a corner of England/Britain everywhere???!!]. Having their own language and TV Channels like Sky in Europe ... expecting foreigners in their country to speak english [DO Y-O-U SPEAK ENGLISH?].... trashing everywhere we visit in europe ... er...having the cheek to fly our flags in everyone else's country... oh yes union jacks and st georges across 5 continents... pricing the locals out of their homes and towns without a thought... sneering at people in their own country like their thick and with superiorority complex....
your right Chav1... bloody immigrants .... send the buggers back....
in any other country of so called freedom you can fly your own damn flag which is a racist act in th uk but imigrants can fly theirs

if i had a problem with pakistanis i would say pakistanis but as you obvioulsy either cant read or chose to ignore i put ANY imigrant here under FALSE are PATHETIC excuses including croatians ,africans and as you put it pakistanis

the reason why the rest of the world is getting flooded with brits is because we have to seek asylum away from the uk to get away from imigrants ,theives ,gypos and loony lefty morons

i may not be as good with words as you but dont for one minuite think i will sit here reading your pathetic attempt at making me look the bad guy buy ASSUMING what i realy mean and keep my mouth shut

do not assume what i mean there is no need to do so as i will quite clearly state what i mean wether people like it or not as i have often done in the past so please remember that before accusing me of been to cowardly to use the words that others may disapprove off

hope this has helped clarify my position on been to cowardly to say what i mean

if i have misunderstood your post and taken it the wrong way and you wernt having a go at me personaly then i of course appologise in advance

Last edited by chav1; 26-03-2005 at 22:34.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:31   #51
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLass
Can I ask a question of someone? What is the difference between gypsies, new age travellers and all the static caravan sites that have popped up?
I can't comment on static caravan sites having popped up but to answer the first part the difference between gypsies and new age travellers is that true gypsies are an actual individual race of people otherwise known as Romany. They do not camp on Aldi car park or dump their rubbish all over the place. They have a respect for the countryside. The travellers on the other hand don't seem to respect anyone or anything.

We were talking to a taxi driver a few weeks ago and he had some horror stories to tell of the abuse taxi drivers have been subjected to by travellers.

If they would obey the law, camp on properly designated sites, clean up after themselves and treat other people with a bit less contempt then I'd have no problem with them.

As for the increase in crime over the last 30 years and more I know my Gran never locked her front door and as children we used to go out all day in the summer with a picnic consisting of a bottle of water and a couple of jam butties. Our parents never worried about whether or not we were safe. Not being safe was unheard of.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:35   #52
I am Banned

i think crime has gone up because it has now become so easy to comit a crime and walk away with little fear of getting caught or if caught given any serious punishment
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:39   #53
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I know my Gran never locked her front door and as children we used to go out all day in the summer with a picnic consisting of a bottle of water and a couple of jam butties. Our parents never worried about whether or not we were safe. Not being safe was unheard of.
Day's long past willow. I regret that my son can't do the things I did as a kid. I remember those picnics and always being able to go to my nans or other family members and find the door open. I hate the way things have gone.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:39   #54
Resident Waffler

I think you've hit that particular nail squarely on the head Chav.

Old 26-03-2005, 22:40   #55
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i think crime has gone up because it has now become so easy to comit a crime and walk away with little fear of getting caught or if caught given any serious punishment
Well said Chav.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 22:50   #56
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
if i have misunderstood your post and taken it the wrong way and you wernt having a go at me personaly then i of course appologise in advance
I didn't mean to offend but I said what I feel genuinely. I accept I may appear be a loony leftie to those with a different view. However I am not, but I accept what your saying.

There are problems within the asian community and issues I do not agree with. All religions just about covers it. However identity politics are the politics of envy. Hyndburn is not redneckville and I am proud of that.
Old 26-03-2005, 23:35   #57
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I can't comment on static caravan sites having popped up but to answer the first part the difference between gypsies and new age travellers is that true gypsies are an actual individual race of people otherwise known as Romany. They do not camp on Aldi car park or dump their rubbish all over the place. They have a respect for the countryside. The travellers on the other hand don't seem to respect anyone or anything.

We were talking to a taxi driver a few weeks ago and he had some horror stories to tell of the abuse taxi drivers have been subjected to by travellers.

If they would obey the law, camp on properly designated sites, clean up after themselves and treat other people with a bit less contempt then I'd have no problem with them.

As for the increase in crime over the last 30 years and more I know my Gran never locked her front door and as children we used to go out all day in the summer with a picnic consisting of a bottle of water and a couple of jam butties. Our parents never worried about whether or not we were safe. Not being safe was unheard of.
I did not suggest Accrington was a town full of racist bigots, I am giving my view as an Accy exile on some of the threads/posts made by a few individuals on this site that are politically motivated, giving links to conservative web sites and to the countryside alliance.

Some examples are from the pro-hunting brigade that complain the new laws on hunting are against their human rights because the Muslims are allowed to kill animals before stunning them!(does anyone really give toss?) others say that Asians can park their cars were they like and the wardens/police do nothing because they are afraid to upset the Asian community.. is this the reality?. more complaints about chavs? Gypsies, kids hanging round the center.

members who posts replies that challenge these statements are quickly branded as "do gooders" or "lefties" and bullied into keeping their gobs shut.

I still visit Accrington though not as much as I would like, and will say you have a lot to be proud of. A town that even through the Tory demolition, has adapted and thrived and Accy web gives me an insight into how my old town is getting on, but I would say that any "outsider" visiting this site would be wary of the content
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 23:40   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
I still visit Accrington though not as much as I would like, and will say you have a lot to be proud of. A town that even through the Tory demolition, has adapted and thrived and Accy web gives me an insight into how my old town is getting on, but I would say that any "outsider" visiting this site would be wary of the content
Oh please! This site has got something for everyone and as far as bullies I've yet to meet one on here!
Old 26-03-2005, 23:46   #59
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Some examples are from the pro-hunting brigade that complain the new laws on hunting are against their human rights because the Muslims are allowed to kill animals before stunning them!(does anyone really give toss?)
Well yes, I would have thought that people who care about the suffering of animals would give at least one toss if not more.

There's a lot of false information quoted about fox hunting and how a fox is ripped apart limb from limb whilst still alive with the hunters looking on and baying for blood - this is far from the case. A fox despatched by hounds dies quickly and with less suffering than some animals which are ritualistically slaughtered for religious reasons. yet we permit the latter and deplore the former. Is it not valid to question why?

As far as the illegal and dangerous parking is concerned - it is done by all races and in my experience had been totally ignored outside of the old Springhill School even after police had asked parents to behave more responsibly. Again, is that right?

Many "outsiders" both visit and join the site. Everyone is free to have an opinion just as everyone else is free to disagree with them so long as they don't break the forum rules.

Old 26-03-2005, 23:50   #60
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Oh please! This site has got something for everyone and as far as bullies I've yet to meet one on here!
Bully for you
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..