Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 07:51   #121
I am Banned

Re: back to the TORY accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
It sounds like you didn't agree with the decision?
DISGUSTED. £35,000 is 1% on the Council Tax and if you knew where it had gone you would be fuming like me and others I cant name for sensitive reasons.

What it is is a statement on how bad HBC has been run. As I have said previously our current top man, Mr Welsby, I dont think we could employ anyone better. However there's a lot of problems to resolve.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2005, 08:38   #122
Give, give, give member

^5 Graham for quoting The Clash!

l bet our newest Councillor hasn't heard of them though, if she comes on here she might quote from Missy Elliot!

It's better than Vera Lynne though, at least we are moving in the right direction.
Out with the old in with the new.

Last edited by garinda; 02-04-2005 at 08:39.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:10   #123
God Member

This wouldn't have anything to do with departure of Nigel Rix would it Graham? If it was then I am sure that most people would regard it as money well spent if it meant that he was finally out of our hair.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 02-04-2005 at 09:12.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 19:56   #124
Beacon of light

I have read this thread with great interest..........this is accyweb at its best (well apart from a bit of a thread wander in the middle of the night).

I have always seen Accyweb as a place where opinions can be aired........you do not have to agree with MY opinion.......and I do not have to agree with YOUR opinion......but we are both entitled to the opinions we hold.

I think Willow and A-B are very articulate in the way they state their opinions........ and Charlie, it is human nature to moan about life in general. I think your opinion of us on the site is unjustified......but you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 02-04-2005 at 19:57. Reason: stiff little fingers
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 20:45   #125
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
This wouldn't have anything to do with departure of Nigel Rix would it Graham? If it was then I am sure that most people would regard it as money well spent if it meant that he was finally out of our hair.
I cant answer the Nigel Rix question as Nigel was obviously a former employee who 'left to go to pasture new' whatever that means.

This issue wasn't related to money well spent though. I think I said I was disgusted because with no opposition political or otherwise, bad decisions get made by likeminded fence sitting unopinionated yes people who habitat dark corridors with to much frequency. In this case £35,000 laundered out of the public purse could only be made by people at the top? And these situations are more likely to occur when organisations gain independency or some degree of autonomy from public accountability.

SOAP BOX TIME
Al I can say is this. Crap councillors make for a crap council. But there is no excuse for subsituting democracy, however bad, for something else eg quangos [ELP, ELEVATE, SURE START, HYNDBURN FIRST, LSP are Hyndburns worst offenders] and delegation to individuals however professional they may be in those organisations. This has been Hyndburns major downfall.

[And at this point in the debate you get the one pillock at the back shouting 'Councillors just want to keep control', like there is a credible alternative that no-one but them has ever thought of.] That mentality has just cost £35,000.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 21:56   #126
God Member

I can understand your reluctance to name and shame, but this is too tantalising. Is it likely that this shameful piece of laundry will be eventually washed in public or will we be left to figure the details out on our own?
Old 11-05-2005, 22:20   #127
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
Sorry I can't. I would get sued unfortunately.

Wages, salaries, bonus's, perks, consultancy fee's are always confidential information unless its councillors who are benefitting. It may be a question for full council on the 26th, though it will be obvious who/why the public purse was 'robbed' IMHO and why we are now £35,000 light.
The 26th came and went but I have still not heard anything Graham, as you can't tell us could you point me in the right direction so I could find out more.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 23:15   #128
I am Banned

i find that an alternative name rather than your real name is usefull when you feel you may be done for slander

cant sue if they cant prove you said it

dont misunderstand ime not suggesting you sighn up from an internet cafe under a false name and tell us the dirt

wink wink

Last edited by chav1; 11-05-2005 at 23:17.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 15:40   #129
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

What an interesting thread, I seem to have missed this while I've been away. Recently I have read several threads where there tends to be a recurring theme and that is bullying.

I have been a member of this site for almost 2 years and can honestly say that I have never experienced bullying. I have experienced eloquent debate on various issues affecting the everyday lives of the people of Hyndburn. I have experienced good laughs on the fun threads and made new friends and aquaintances who have become very dear to me.

If well worded debate can be seen as bullying then what has the world come to. People can only be bullied if they allow themselves to be. ........or, do the people who seem to think they are being bullied feel that way because other people's opinions are different from their own and therefore they see them as bullies. Maybe people see me as a bully? Personally I couldn't care less and am entitled to my opinion even when it is in total opposition to that of somebody else..

If our site comes across as right wing because a few people voice their opinions about the travellers, immigrants, state of the town etc, then so be it. I will voice my opinion about these issues because I care about the town and country that I live in and I hate to see the deterioration of our standards of living in general. I hate to see unfairness when one section of the community is favoured over another because they are deemed a minority group, which is in itself racism. I hate that travellers come here, pitch up and proceed to dump their rubbish in the borough and nobody does anything about it. I am not naive enough to believe that all members of all parties will pull together and work as a team. I am perhaps hopeful enough to want to see the day when somebody with just a smidgeon of common sense runs our country, no matter which party they belong to. Would it be too much to ask to have somebody with a bit of sense running our borough.

If saying that I want to see those things makes me a bully, a nimby, a racist or just plain hopeful, then I'm guilty as charged.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 19:43   #130
Beacon of light

Very well said Lettie.....!
Old 12-05-2005, 19:46   #131
Beacon of light

The other thing about bullying.........there are moderators on our site and if the people who feel there is bullying going on were to report it I'm sure it would be investigated.

In fact the bullied could report the bulliers....so why don't they.......?
Old 12-05-2005, 21:02   #132
Resident Waffler

I'm probably repeating myself but perhaps some people need to learn how to make the distinction between disagreeing with a point of view and disliking the person who puts forward that point of view. I can still like someone even if I don't share their opinions on everything. Sometimes an opposing point of view can be so eloquently put forward that my own opinion can be swayed. That's what makes a good debate so worthwhile. Sometimes we learn from each other, sometimes we may change our minds, sometimes we end up feeling even more strongly about our original point of view.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..