Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2005, 13:49   #16
Senior Member+

Re: back to the TORY accy?

If the stuff on heres right wing what the hell have you been reading, 60% is anti tory policys for Hyndburn with 30% posting in the Srtanley section and the other 10% are tree huggers trying to get a hump,edifice or runes built on the top of the coppice.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2005, 16:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

Yes, in an ideal world everyone would agree with everyone else, there would never be anything wrong, all the bills would be paid on time and there would be nothing to worry about - except the growing number of people slowly going out of their minds with the mindnumbing boredom of it all.
I'm not asking people to agree all the time. All I'm saying is that debate is welcome, ideas are great, but when all the debating and ideas are exhausted decisions have to be made. It would be sensible for the Council to do all the debating and ideas behind closed doors so that a unified policy can be implemented. But what happens is that they air their dirty laundry in public, any decisions that get made are immediately discredited by the opposing factor and we have lost all respect for them.

The great thing about real team working is that all ideas are put forward and decisions are made based on the value of the idea.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 16:47   #18
God Member

>>But what happens is that they air their dirty laundry in public, any decisions that get made are immediately discredited by the opposing factor and we have lost all respect for them. <<

T'was ever thus, and I see no prospect of the situation changing in the forseeable future.
Old 25-03-2005, 17:05   #19

Quote:
>>

T'was ever thus, and I see no prospect of the situation changing in the forseeable future.
That's a bit sad don't you think?
Old 25-03-2005, 17:25   #20
God Member

Tragic! But that is the way of the world. Adversarial politics is the only game in town. The alternative is totalitarianism.
Old 25-03-2005, 17:25   #21
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hello
Just a quick outline.. I.. and others that left Accrington in the mid 80's to "get on my bike" as the then tory goverment told me to do, after they had totaly destroyed the towns industry and public services.. having found this excellent ACCY WEB site .. I have to say I have not read so much right wing stuff since the old days of Micheal Howard and his Thatcherite croonies... we don't want gypsies we don't want asylum seekers, (do the tories ever pick on people that have a vote?) I would urge people that visit this site not to be bullied by the people who seem to make the most noise about thier views as to what Accrington should be.
don't let accrington get slumped into the days of untold unemployed teenagers sitting on the DECK agian.
I real life lefty, excellent this should perk things up a bit. Too right we don't want gypsies we don't want asylum seekers you have them. But you no longer live in Accrington so why try to dictate to the people who do?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 17:35   #22

Quote:
Tragic! But that is the way of the world. Adversarial politics is the only game in town. The alternative is totalitarianism.
Ok, but it depends on which way you view this one. Either it's one party and everyone would toe the party line like a dictatorship, or it would be 500+ politicians working individually but coming together for the good of the people - there would be no division along party lines simply because there are party lines and no opposition party. Each politician would be elected solely on their individual merits and not their affiliation to anyone else. Then each subject could be debated and voted on its merits as well. Actually, the more I write this the more I like it.
Old 25-03-2005, 19:02   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
So true bob. Otherwise its a one party state. The public needs an executive and it also needs a scrutiny. Not a selective scrutiny but a comprehensive one on every issue.

In reality what you get is The Labour Party agreeing with 80% of the banal stuff like 'Approval for a new server for Council Tax collection' or 'Gypsy site policy' or 'employment of Blackburn with Darwen to help regeneration'. These dont get reported obviously. Only a spat sells papers, often dressed up by cherry picking a line or word or phrase and it becomes a naieve public perception that everyone is falling out.

However the Labour Parties function in opposition is to question line by line what the exec [Tories] are doing which helps the process of democracy. Anything less is Totalitarianism. I know there are a lot of well meaning idealists who cant see a team work ethic and feel that this cross questioning contributes to negativity and underperformance.

Thats simply not the case and with experience, those that believe this will understand how fragile democracy really is. The idea that you have 500 individuals is also idealistic because what happens is you need a majority so that creates aggregates of opinion which tend to reflect accross a variety of issues.You also need to work through those opinions and work with others confident with them free from outright hostilty so aggregates become political parties. Usually 2, or divided along two differing lines because a majority is 51% is needed. To prevent this natural evolution you need a strict one party totalitarian state.

BTW we lost a lot of money [£35,000] this week due to 'everyone being friends' and there being no-one to question a corrupt decision. Cant say more, I dont want to get sued especially as Jonathan Dillon [Ob] and Dave Higgerson [LET] have been trawling this site.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 25-03-2005 at 19:37.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 20:27   #24
Give, give, give member

Don't forget that the majority of people in this Borough who bothered to vote, returned a Conservative Council.
Thankfully l wasn't living here then, so take no responsibility for this sad fact.
We've got what we deserve.

Last edited by garinda; 25-03-2005 at 21:14.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 20:39   #25
Junior Member+

Smile Re: back to the TORY accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I real life lefty, excellent this should perk things up a bit. Too right we don't want gypsies we don't want asylum seekers you have them. But you no longer live in Accrington so why try to dictate to the people who do?
Real life lefty?.. In my original post I was simply giving my opinion to some of the posts people who first visit this site are faced with...the site seems to be dominated by a small number of members posting views that are mostly the rantings of moaning racist bigots under the guise of caring, law abiding, tax paying members of the community, but are really just ****ed of because they can’t chase foxes or park their cars were they like and don’t like pound shops!

The same people churn out blatant Tory propaganda trying to influence people into believing that if the Conservatives regain power everything will be lovely, the same old Tories with the same old policies that brought towns like Accrington to its knees in the 80’s.

As you point out I no longer live in Accrington, and perhaps I should have expected your reaction, informing me that "this is a local site for local people" I do apologise "Gentlemen"
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 21:25   #26
Senior Member+

Does not matter where you live Charlie everyone is entitled to there opinion. You are a member of this site, which in my book makes you a member of the community.
Old 25-03-2005, 23:37   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hello
Just a quick outline.. I.. and others that left Accrington in the mid 80's to "get on my bike" as the then tory goverment told me to do, after they had totaly destroyed the towns industry and public services.. having found this excellent ACCY WEB site .. I have to say I have not read so much right wing stuff since the old days of Micheal Howard and his Thatcherite croonies... we don't want gypsies we don't want asylum seekers, (do the tories ever pick on people that have a vote?) I would urge people that visit this site not to be bullied by the people who seem to make the most noise about thier views as to what Accrington should be.
don't let accrington get slumped into the days of untold unemployed teenagers sitting on the DECK agian.
oh well i better shut my mouth and let the imigrants , gypsies , drug addicts and burgulars go about their buisness without so much as a complaint and continue to bleed our country dry

it dosnt matter whos in power the simple truth is people are fed up with 1 rule for one and one rule for another and if people speaking up about their feelings about been penalised for been clean living law abiding citizens upsets you so much the quite simply pi$$ off or better still move back to accrington then start critisising those who speak aloud about how we the people STILL in accrington are fed up of this crap

also i dont see anyone getting bullied into agreeing with those who speak aloud i speak aloud quite a lot but i dont put a gun to peoples heads demanding good karma they give it to me because they AGREE with my views and those that DONT agree with my views deduct it

holy crap we have had new members suddenly appear trying to convince us that the Panopticon is the best thing in the world and how we at accy web are the only people in accy who dont want it and now we got you telling us that we are either bullies making people agree with us or that we are been bullied into agreeing that were fed up of gypsies , imigrants and theives

whats next new members telling us we got it all wrong and hyndburn council actualy does have a clue what its doing

ime all for freedom of speech because it gives loud mouth people like me the right to chew somones ass when they start talking crap

heres 20p now go ring somone who gives a crap

edit:

i have just been made aware that a phonecall now costs 30p in a payphone can somone please lend him the other 10 p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20p.jpg (18.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by chav1; 25-03-2005 at 23:48.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 01:36   #28
God Member

First of all Charlie please don't tell me you didn't know there was a baby boom in the 60's which was one of the main reasons people left Accrington to seek employment in the 80's, that was nationwide not just Accrington!

Feel free to come back and spent some time with us that do live in Accrington and see what this Town has become. Take a walk along Broadway, yes the Observer informs us this week that work is about to start to improve it, ABOUT BL***Y TIME I say! We have had to live with it looking like a dump for a number of years when there wasn't anything wrong with it before they ripped all the gardens up.

As for gypsies we'll gladly employ you to clean up after them but for Christs sake let us know before you go on a night out round Accy so as not to get your face kicked in by them!

You don't live here chuck I wouldn't judge the people were you live, so please don't judge the people of Accrington on this board. We have a right to view our opinions we live here after all and have the Town of Accrington at heart.

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 26-03-2005 at 13:00. Reason: I forgot to say please!
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 03:09   #29
Senior Member+

The internet has made it very easy to remain anonymous and still say what you want, so you left Accy in the 80s I left in the 70s but have returned on various occasions to live and vist and still have family living there and I see the gypos, who were a problem in 60s,70s, and 80s, I also see the way the town has gone down hill because we couldn't give the good jobs to the people who lived in the town, they all got on there bikes, but was it the good old torys or was it the labor governments who pick people like M Foot, N Kinnock, J Callaghan to lead them. Maggie was a disaster to the normal working class but what did labor do,sfa.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 06:04   #30
God Member

Clearly Charlie is of the opinion that George Slynn's administration of HBC was an unqualified success, and that selling off Accrington's and the boroughs assets to finance the ideological decisions of one member of the Labour Party was a really good idea. If the borough's politicians were so divided that the borough has failed to recover from the Thatcher era and capitalise on the growth in the national economy, that failing is to be laid at the door of the Conservative Party. If the local economy has shrunk by as much as 50% since the start of the second world war, this too is the fault of the Conservative Party.
I could go on, but it would be a very dull history lesson. For people like Charlie, and this is not a personal dig -I'm sure you are actually quite a nice person-, it is essential that they have a bogey man to blame all the bad things on. And usually in this country that bogey man is the Conservative Party. So it really doesn't matter what the political climate is, or which party is in control it will always be the "other" party who is to blame when it all goes wrong. There are Conservatives and Liberal Democrats who take the same illogical position. What makes the situation worse is that these people are upwardly socially mobile and often form part of the comfortable middle class, and have the time and often the money to indulge their predjudice. I chose that last word with care, because wrap it up in whatever socially acceptable bows you like, that is just what it is! And blind obediance to predjudice does not serve the community or the country well.

If Charlie would care to take a look at my past postings, it will be seen that the local politician who comes in for the most stick at my hand is the current leader of the council, Peter Britcliffe, followed by selected members of his administration, who, oddly enough, are all members of the Conservative Party. The reason for this criticism is that I disagree with them and their policies for the borough. I am absolutely sure that personally they are all eminently reasonable and pleasant people. But their policies and the way they choose to implement them are, in my opinion, Wrong!

If it seems to Charlie, as a new member, that the debate in this forum is a little one sided then the solution would appear to me to be quite simple - Add your voice! But don't expect that everyone will automatically agree with whatever you say, you will be setting yourself up for disappointment if you do. We welcome all opinion from all sections of the community, whether they are located in the borough or scattered across the face of the globe.

Oh, and one last thing, Smile, things are rarely as black as they are painted.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..