Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2011, 19:34   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Alan Johnson does a runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have to say Margaret I actually had some empathy for the guy, okay don't like him as a politician, but its bad enough when your marriage is on the rocks without it being played out on the front page of the Red Tops, I know been there and got the T-Shirt
You are right John, it is a very sad thing when a marriage goes to the wall.
(well, it saddens me)
It seems like it was a bit of a shock to him too. You can't do a high profile job while you are in emotional turmoil.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2011, 20:25   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Didn't he tell them he was a hamburger? Could be wrong.....it is a long time ago now, and the memory isn't quite as sharp.
It was: "Ich ein Berliner." And a Berliner is ...

Ouch ... it's hard to type with frozen fingers. Just shovelled out for the second time today. Cold warnings out for Saturday and Sunday. Old folks like me not supposed to go out. Police on the lookout for the few street people in the city, making sure they are taken to shelters. But I'm rambling; probably caused by 13 years of
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 20:28   #33
God Member

Quote:
Your getting Eric your getting it, but don't you think your getting a bit boring now
Hey, t'weren't me who started to blame all of England's problems from the World Cup performance to bleak economy on the previous govt. Let me see; it was ... it was ... some guy from Ossy
Old 21-01-2011, 20:44   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Ouch ... it's hard to type with frozen fingers. Just shovelled out for the second time today. Cold warnings out for Saturday and Sunday. Old folks like me not supposed to go out. Police on the lookout for the few street people in the city, making sure they are taken to shelters. But I'm rambling; probably caused by 13 years of
I always thought it was "Ich bin ein Berliner", and I understood that to be a sausage or wurst - perhaps D in G can clarify?
Old 21-01-2011, 20:58   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates
perhaps D in G can clarify?
Nein, er ist ein scouser.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 21:00   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I always thought it was "Ich bin ein Berliner", and I understood that to be a sausage or wurst - perhaps D in G can clarify?
Yeah ... missed out a word. Ben Johnson wouldn't have been surprised: he tried to teach me German.
Old 21-01-2011, 21:07   #37
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I don't know what a Berliner is!
But see......told you the memory was getting a bit rusty
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 22:43   #38
God Member

Quote:
Just checked it out. "Ich bin ein Berliner" is what he said. This means, loosely, "I am a jelly filled("jam" for you guys) donut." What he should have said was: "Ich bin Berliner." This means: "I am a citizen of Berlin."
Old 22-01-2011, 02:12   #39
God Member

Quote:
D in G is more likley to be sorting out his new cabinet.. this is the outcome,, Cameron, Osbourn, Clegg , and ze new German Chancellor Dave ze German

Last edited by Mancie; 22-01-2011 at 02:17.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:56   #40
Resting in Peace

The thing that's really made me smile is the New Shadow team Mr Ed and Mr Balls, is a Tony and Gordon scenario all over again
Old 22-01-2011, 11:31   #41
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Berliner = Donut usually it's got Jam in it ! So JFK blithely stated to the German public he was a Donut !

Mancie, Mancie, Mancie, You my friend are once more maintaining the standards I've come to expect from you ! Don't fret none, when I come to power I've got a special job lined up just for you !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 13:45   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Berliner = Donut usually it's got Jam in it ! So JFK blithely stated to the German public he was a Donut !

Mancie, Mancie, Mancie, You my friend are once more maintaining the standards I've come to expect from you ! Don't fret none, when I come to power I've got a special job lined up just for you !
Thanks Dave - knew it was something to eat I used to settle for Bockwurst at the Spandau U-Bahn en route to a night out in Charlottenburg, maybe that is why sausage stuck in my mind - apologies Eric
Old 22-01-2011, 13:50   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Not too many long drop toilets to dig out these days Dave
Old 22-01-2011, 14:46   #44
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Not too many long drop toilets to dig out these days Dave
I was thinking more along the lines of every Kingdom needs a Jester ! Right up Mancies street I would've thought ? Well he makes me chuckle !

And Barrie I've had Bockies & Bratties, but when in Berlin tended to go for a Kebab as it was one door down from "Joe's Irish Bar".

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 22-01-2011 at 14:48.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 16:26   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of every Kingdom needs a Jester ! Right up Mancies street I would've thought ? Well he makes me chuckle !

And Barrie I've had Bockies & Bratties, but when in Berlin tended to go for a Kebab as it was one door down from "Joe's Irish Bar".
Ya Spot on about Mancie Dave, happen get in a suite of Lincoln Green, a hat with a bell on it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..