Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Allah v Nick
Build a mosque on the site 0 0%
Build a police station on the site 25 78.13%
Allotments, park or something else 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2012, 07:49   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Allah v Nick

Hi! keep the votes rollling in!!! also join the comments online at Lancashire Evening Telegraph

link: New Accrington police station could be built by proposed mosque (From Lancashire Telegraph)
daisychain is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2012, 08:16   #32
Beacon of light

some interesting comment on the article.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 08:32   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
paint a hand grenade orange and put a 50p sticker on it and casualy walk away..

that should slow down the rush and deter future gatherings
Er is that not illegal accyman
Old 18-01-2012, 08:38   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
some interesting comment on the article.
There certainly are Margaret, but I find that this is the case with a lot of stories on the LT, in fact if you have a bit of spare time it can be quite amusing reading these comment on a regular basis
Old 18-01-2012, 10:47   #35
Beacon of light

I found it interesting that an asian commentator on the story thought that a Mosque would be a community centre for all the community. I suppose that would be so if all the community were asian.
And that someone else mentioned cohesion.....isn't it the muslim population who do not bother to integrate? preferring their own company(many of the women do not speak english...though some do understand it) and before anyone levels allegations of racism against me......I am not being racist when I point this out...just factual.
Old 18-01-2012, 17:41   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I found it interesting that an asian commentator on the story thought that a Mosque would be a community centre for all the community. I suppose that would be so if all the community were asian.
And that someone else mentioned cohesion.....isn't it the muslim population who do not bother to integrate? preferring their own company(many of the women do not speak english...though some do understand it) and before anyone levels allegations of racism against me......I am not being racist when I point this out...just factual.
The number of times I've heard the term Asian community, tells me they don't really want to integrate, yet the PC brigade expect the indigenous population to bend over backwards to change to accommodate, funny that ain't it
Old 18-01-2012, 18:13   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Er is that not illegal accyman
only becomes a crime when caught

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 20:28   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The number of times I've heard the term Asian community, tells me they don't really want to integrate, yet the PC brigade expect the indigenous population to bend over backwards to change to accommodate, funny that ain't it
Think about this- Why should they have to? The authorities here make sure through pure stupidity,they don't need to! When i lived in Spain as other members who do can verify, every letter from the Town Hall/Electricity board/Banks/ etc was in Spanish, The same if yeh had to visit the Town Hall/Electric Board/Hospitals, no-one spoke english, so therefore yeh have to pay fer n interpreter, That alone ensures most will try n learn the lingo,n if yeh do that then yer on yer way to integrating! What this useless lot here do- is Give em everything on a plate, I.E. letters/signs in their own language,in particular the local authority, so especially the older immigrant,why do they need to integrate?
Old 18-01-2012, 20:36   #39
Beacon of light

They chose to come and live here...nobody forced them to come......so they should integrate.
It is as if they would have their culture diluted if they learned English.......so they would rather we diluted our culture to accommodate them...and we are just plain daft for doing it.
I saw hundreds of thousands of pounds wasted in the Health Service...printing booklets and information leaflets in numerous languages. These leaflets were very often unused .......because although the people speak the language, a lot of them don't actually read it(this most certainly applies to women)
Women who needed things translated used interpreters, again at a cost to the NHS........but frequently the husbands wanted to do the interpreting themselves.....so you can take from that what you will. Who can say what was being said to the women when the husbands acted as translators? But hey, that is the cynic in me that is talking.
Old 18-01-2012, 20:44   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
They chose to come and live here...nobody forced them to come......so they should integrate.
It is as if they would have their culture diluted if they learned English.......so they would rather we diluted our culture to accommodate them...and we are just plain daft for doing it.
I saw hundreds of thousands of pounds wasted in the Health Service...printing booklets and information leaflets in numerous languages. These leaflets were very often unused .......because although the people speak the language, a lot of them don't actually read it(this most certainly applies to women)
Women who needed things translated used interpreters, again at a cost to the NHS........but frequently the husbands wanted to do the interpreting themselves.....so you can take from that what you will. Who can say what was being said to the women when the husbands acted as translators? But hey, that is the cynic in me that is talking.
Spot on, me point is- the authoritys have made it so theres no need.
Old 18-01-2012, 20:50   #41
God Member

Easy to be cynical -I've been in that position. I gave birth to my first son in Italy having lived in the country for a few months -I had no interpreter and had prepared myself by reading books in English from the National Childbirth trust. Luckily it was a textbook birth and all went well.

Unfortunately major population migration can lead to misunderstandings - customs are different between one population and another.

My current Gynae here in italy has told me that she is terrified of assisting births of non EU women as, apart from the language problem, many have no preparation and have never even had a scan. They arrive in A&E, ready to go, and the docs have to face emergency Breach births which are almost unheard of these days in european women because of technological advances. When things go wrong , as can happen in a percentage of cases, they face the circumstances and are held "to blame".

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 20:52   #42
Beacon of light

Yes Cashy...I was underlining your point about migrants going to live in other countries...and their responsibilites to their adopted country.
In this country it seems like you have no responsibility......and I can't see it changing anytime soon.
Old 18-01-2012, 20:58   #43
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Easy to be cynical -I've been in that position. I gave birth to my first son in Italy having lived in the country for a few months -I had no interpreter and had prepared myself by reading books in English from the National Childbirth trust. Luckily it was a textbook birth and all went well.

Unfortunately major population migration can lead to misunderstandings - customs are different between one population and another.

My current Gynae here in italy has told me that she is terrified of assisting births of non EU women as, apart from the language problem, many have no preparation and have never even had a scan. They arrive in A&E, ready to go, and the docs have to face emergency Breach births which are almost unheard of these days in european women because of technological advances. When things go wrong , as can happen in a percentage of cases, they face the circumstances and are held "to blame".
It is all very well providing leaflets and information in other languages, but it really doesn't help if those people that the information is aimed at, cannot access it because they cannot read their own language.

Everyone has a responsibility to ensure they can understand what is being said to them.......and when you migrate to a foreign country, you do your best to try and learn some of the language........I have looked after women who have been in this country in excess of 20 years, and yet they do not speak any English.......they may understand a little of it...but they cannot speak it...this despite the fact that their children have grown up and gone to school here and learned English in school...what that says to me, is that these people do not wish to be part of the wider community....they do not wish to integrate.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 18-01-2012 at 21:03.
Old 19-01-2012, 08:53   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It is all very well providing leaflets and information in other languages, but it really doesn't help if those people that the information is aimed at, cannot access it because they cannot read their own language.

Everyone has a responsibility to ensure they can understand what is being said to them.......and when you migrate to a foreign country, you do your best to try and learn some of the language........I have looked after women who have been in this country in excess of 20 years, and yet they do not speak any English.......they may understand a little of it...but they cannot speak it...this despite the fact that their children have grown up and gone to school here and learned English in school...what that says to me, is that these people do not wish to be part of the wider community....they do not wish to integrate.
Quite right, for a lot of Asians they have just moved the community from Islamabad to Accrington and carried on regardless, the difference being M&S at 4-30pm each day
Old 19-01-2012, 09:23   #45
Resting in Peace

On the other hand I have a mate who has lived in Spain for nearly 20 years and can't speak a word of Spanish.In fact being a true cockney he can't speak much English.

IE. Use your filbert,get that down the gregory we're off down the frog to the battle.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..