Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 19:23   #1
God Member

Am I losing my religion?

After talking with entwisi about the new Apple iPhone, which seems amazing to say the least (but lets keep this on topic, can make an iPhone devotee thread elsewhere), I discovered that I really do hate certain aspects of Capitalism with quite a passion.

He brought up that it wouldn't be out in Europe for another year and we assume there will be blocks in place to prevent importing, much like Sony tried to stop the importing of PSP's from Japan, and won in the courts.

I feel its completely wrong, we should be able to obtain and use a product from another company if its usable here, not have it blocked if the only purpose of the block is marketing strategy for the company to increase profits.

Now see im fighting the liberal cause here, but the other side of the argument being that these companies, Sony, Apple, are just trying to make a living on their end too, but should they be doing that at the expense of other peoples liberties?

Its quite a hard subject because of course, without Apple or Sony we wouldn't have these products in the first place, but on the other hand their greed for more profits is driven by marketing strategy which usually sees a later European launch. Its just how they go about it that I personally have a problem with.
Old 09-01-2007, 19:37   #2
God Member

Re: Am I losing my religion?

same thing applies to the availibility prescription medicines
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:17   #3
God Member

Basic law of supply and demand. If its in demand and you can only supply a certain number then a higher price can be charged and people will buy. By making it rare and as they are a monopoly then they choose when to pass it on to the masses and with subtle marketing they create such a demand that people do pay the mad prices charged.

Does that make any sense to you?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:21   #4
Give, give, give member

Disillusioned with capitalism?

You'll be throwing away your blue rosette and spouting from Chairman Mao's Little Red Book next.

Don't forget that I foresaw this happening ages ago.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:24   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

You'll be throwing away your blue rosette and spouting from Chairman Mao's Little Red Book next.

The poor lad is looking for solice and an explination and you are sticking the boot in.

We all learn by our mistakes.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 23:27   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Ease up on the kid he's away at college being indoctrinated by all these sandal wearing, brown bread eating, corduroy jacketwearing left-wing commie types
Old 09-01-2007, 23:56   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Ease up on the kid he's away at college being indoctrinated by all these sandal wearing, brown bread eating, corduroy jacketwearing left-wing commie types

Oh brain washed now I am with it.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Basic law of supply and demand. If its in demand and you can only supply a certain number then a higher price can be charged and people will buy. By making it rare and as they are a monopoly then they choose when to pass it on to the masses and with subtle marketing they create such a demand that people do pay the mad prices charged.

Does that make any sense to you?
Oh I know exactly why companies do it, im complaining that they're allowed to Speaking of which I have a business studies exam in 1.5hours on this subject

Garinda, im sure i'd be going the yellow way if anything

Last edited by andrewb; 10-01-2007 at 06:40.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37   #9
Resident Waffler

Of course people/companies can also price themselves out of the market by charging more than people are willing or able to pay - then if a rival can produce a more affordable alternative they lose the market completely.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 20:15   #10
God Member

Just rivals can't produce alternatives because companies patent the best ideas. Like the apple ipod, its not the best mp3 player, but I have to admit its certainly the best interface I have used because of the click wheel, which nobody can copy.

Apple have 200 patents protecting technology on the iPhone
Old 10-01-2007, 23:09   #11
Resting in peace

I think you should take holy orders Cyfr, the cut and thrust of business does not seem to be the path for you, it's not your religion you'll loose it's your mortal soul, the economics of Mr Mickawber don't apply in real life, only in fiction novels.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 23:19   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I think you should take holy orders Cyfr, the cut and thrust of business does not seem to be the path for you, it's not your religion you'll loose it's your mortal soul, the economics of Mr Mickawber don't apply in real life, only in fiction novels.
your just being a cynical owd sod the young un will be dis-illusioned with the real world soon enough
Old 10-01-2007, 23:33   #13
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
your just being a cynical owd sod the young un will be dis-illusioned with the real world soon enough
I am just trying to make life a little smoother for this nice young man, Before some large comglomerate decides to 'head' hunt him.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:00   #14
Yank in King Art's Court!

Although I really don't see the interest in this modern technology for the price charged (my kids and their I-pods (what's wrong with the radio), kids with cellphones, etc.) I may have a solution.

When/if I make it over this spring, I'll slip a few of these must haves in my luggage for ya. Of course I'd have to make a handy profit (ya know Capitalism) (just kidding). I'd get em to you at my cost. Although, buying me rounds at the meet may be an acceptable tip!

No seriously, if this is an interest to anyone over there, just tell me what to get and I'd be more then happy to get em to ya!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17   #15
God Member

with the price of kit normally 1$=1£ on tech stuff this could be quite a saving. You do need to be careful though Brian, UK C&E will be very interested in a man coming over with 3 suitcases full of electronic stuff.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..