Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21   #151
Resident Waffler

Re: Am I Racist?

I am one of those who has friends of different ethnic origins and I have to actually stop and think about it(that they are human beings) because first and foremost they are human beings.

But that doesn't make sense. If I say that first and foremost they are humn bings why would I have to stop and remind myself that they are human beings?

Anyway, as I said, I was willing to concede that Poppy had misundestood my post which was why I made an attempt to clarify it. He was not willing to accept that and accused me of backpedalling with my explanation which added insult to injury.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2006, 10:23   #152
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Whats a unionist, I noticed it on the con club door yesterday?

In the context of Ulster, a Unionist wants the political union of Ireland as one country. A loyalist wants the northern counties to remain "loyal" to the crown - ie to stay part of Britiain.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:31   #153
God Member

What are people called if they want it to be united and the united country to be loyal to the crown.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42   #154
Resident Waffler

There are no such people!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:03   #155
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Just go down Falls Rd in Belfast, ask anyone, they will willingly tell you what a unionist is. Oh, and there's also a good chance that they will give you a practical demonstration of prejudice as well!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26   #156
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
What are people called if they want it to be united and the united country to be loyal to the crown.
Dead!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 13:18   #157
God Member

lol no thanks less I'm not that brave or stupid. wonder why the conservative club has thaton its door. Wonder if its to do with the old work house, that was called unionists and may have been there. appropriate really conservative/ workhouse. thats another ism, classism.

we now have two tiers of working class, english working class and foreign working class on lower wages, surely thats racism.
Old 04-10-2006, 13:29   #158
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
As said. selective quoting and twisting it so that I am the racist and you are squeaky clean.

I did not come here calling people racist. I asked a question and what followed was racism that I then accused you of. You are twisting the facts in an attempt to justify your rant.

One person certainly did say they had to stop and remember colored people are human and it is still in this thread to see so twist that all you want. all people have to do is go back and read it.

I can see we are getting nowhere. when it comes to the point that you are simply denying what has been written and then quoting out of context to justify yourself. well little point in continuing.

My final comment.
I asked a question. It would have been easier just to answer it.
How could anybody say that this is selective quoting or twisting things? For gods sake, i quoted you word for word. It's there for all to see (page 7, post 101).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poppy 01.JPG (129.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Poppy 02.JPG (139.0 KB, 3 views)

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 13:48   #159
Resident Waffler

There's only one person quoting things out context on here as far as I can see.

Maybe it woud help if they undersood that there's a difference between stereotyping and racism.

Stereotyping is where one makes the assumption that all Chinese people own chip shops and all chip shops are owned by Chinese people, or that all Muslims are Asian and (this is a very common one) all Asians are Muslim.

Any sensible person can see that this just isn't true. I know a couple of chippies owned by English people and I know one Chinese guy who is a doctor and another half Chinese guy who works in a factory. I have a Muslim friend who was born in this country of white Anglo Saxon descent and converted when she married a Palesinian. Another Muslim I know is Irish and married to an African (can't just remember the country off-hand). On the other hand I also know Asians who are Hindu and others who are Christian. Now all that took some thinking about because, hey guess what, I don't slot them into categories. They are all just people!

Perhaps Poppy could have accused Silvermain of stereotyping young Asian males because saying that most of the souped up cars are driven by them is more stereotyping than it is racist. It's also more accurate than my comment about Chinese chippies though because most of the souped up cars with noisy boom boxes in the boot do tend to be driven by young Asian males.

Old 04-10-2006, 17:11   #160
God Member

Thumbs up Re: Am I Racist?

Quote:
a unionist is somebody who wants the political union of scotland northern ireland wales and england to stay..
and if you called a person in ireland who wants a united ireland a unionist i would advise you not to... cause the unionist party in norn ireland is a loyalist party ..the word unionist on the con club door is to do with the con political party as its full name is the conservative and unionist party of great britain and northern ireland.................
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 17:40   #161
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
In the context of Ulster, a Unionist wants the political union of Ireland as one country.
It would appear that WTW has been labouring under a misapprehension. Have a read at this it explains it better than I could:
http://www.answers.com/topic/unionism-ireland

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 17:57   #162
Resident Waffler

I stand corrected on the terminology yerself. You can see why it's a good job I never got involved in Northern Irish politics! I had enough with Fine Gael and Fianna Fail in the south. I even went out campigning when I as there!

Old 04-10-2006, 19:48   #163
God Member

I was just about to tell you that unionists are protestant - want to keep it to the 6 counties and loyal to the queen. Sinn Finn - are catholic and want a united ireland. Thanks yerself for that.

How we knew the pub was catholic - it was full of tricolours and celtic and there was a couple of ira posters up.
Why the barman said that to me was because of the english accent. I could have been an english catholic and they wouldnt know. I went in a protestant pub - they had a picture of the queen up and rangers stuff and it was totally different. People once they heard the english accent came up to me and said it was nice to hear an english accent in here and i was very welcome and i didnt buy a drink after id bought the 1st one! Why? Because they said because of the troubles people didnt like coming over there because they thought it was all bombs and shooting etc. Okay it was a bit different seeing the police in full body armour and walking down the street with rifles in their hands and army out on the street. But i love it over there.

By the way nearest to what i can think of - tories are unionists - labour party are the labour party over there, lib dems are the lib dems but you dont see that many of them over there.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 19:52   #164
God Member

Thanks to all esp jen for that, it makes sense now.
Old 04-10-2006, 20:52   #165
Resident Waffler

So, according to this I was right about the loyalists. So what the heck are the other bunch colloquially known as?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..