Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 21:01   #166
God Member

Re: Am I Racist?

Nationalists - catholics.

Had to think about that one for you willow.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2006, 21:04   #167
Resident Waffler

Hmmm lol, doesn't sound much like 'unionist' does it? Thanks shillelagh.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 21:07   #168
God Member

your welcome willow
Old 04-10-2006, 21:14   #169
Resident Waffler

I've just been waching David Dickinson tracing his Armenian roots and had to smile at his generalisation about people who have an "Armenian look" about them. Oooh David! How racist of you! (yes I know it was stereotyping) A fascinating program and how amazing to find a long lost living cousin he never knew about.

Old 04-10-2006, 23:14   #170
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I've just been waching David Dickinson tracing his Armenian roots and had to smile at his generalisation about people who have an "Armenian look" about them. Oooh David! How racist of you! (yes I know it was stereotyping) A fascinating program and how amazing to find a long lost living cousin he never knew about.
Yes, although he comes across as a bit of a dick-son, it was one of the most moving programmes in the series.

Paxman crying for the hard life his grannies hard life in a poverty stricken Glasgow tenement, was still the best one though.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 23:38   #171
God Member

I havent watched any of the series at all. I keep forgetting its on!
Old 13-10-2006, 10:45   #172
Resident Waffler

Someone just pointed out something quite hilarious to me about these two posts. Can you guess what it is?

Quote:

I am one of those who has friends of different ethnic origins and I have to actually stop and think about it because first and foremost they are human beings. One mixed race family I have to think hard to remember which one of the parents is which but to be told it's a racist response for any of us to comment that we have friends of different races when we are accused of being racist is just as hurtful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
oh my god. what have I just read. you actually posted that. you have to stop and think coloured people are human beings.

disgusted!
Why does Poppy assume that I am white and that my friends are 'coloured' ?

Even if he had read it correctly, unless he knows me, there's nothing to say that I'm not Nigerian and the mixed race family could equally well be white Anglo Saxon and Native American! The assumption of Poppy's couldn't have been ................. ............ a racist one could it?

Old 13-10-2006, 13:00   #173
Senior Member+

Excellent point.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 19:39   #174
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I think even a court of law would have cleared you now Willow, Poppy join the club you are now a convicted racist how do you plead?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 12:53   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Poppy join the club you are now a convicted racist how do you plead?
Now do I get invited to meetings?

What a defense. Someone suggests you might be racist so you all twist it about so the person asking is a racist and you are all squeaky clean. Do you know what the best bit is?

You believe yourselves.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 14:15   #176
Resident Waffler

Well I believe me Poppy because I know I'm not a racist. I know I don't lump people of one race together under one umbrella and class them as inferior or superior to people of another race. I may well have objections to some things which some people do which may offend others. I do have objections to any kind of discrimination, including so-called positive discrimination. I believe all people should be viewed as individuals on their own merits.

If for instance we are talking about job applications then I have no time for the "ethnic/female/disabled/ageism" quotas. The best candidate should get the job whatever their age, sex, race, culture, perceived disadvantage or shoe size! If I want someone as a receptionist I see it as plain barmy to employ a deaf person who can barely speak. Don't laugh I know of it having been done. Perhaps they had a phone at their end which converted the speech to text but when they spoke it was extremely difficult to understand what was being said. I object to call centres in foreign countries for much the same reason. If I phone a helpline I want to be able to understand what is being said to me. If I was looking for a nightclub bouncer I don't think a seven stone weakling in a wheelchair would be of much use. If I wanted a driver on the other hand then anyone with a clean licence would fit the bill. It's just a case of common sense.

You still owe me an apology for misinterpreting my words and then falsely accusing me of something I hadn't said.

Old 17-10-2006, 10:50   #177
Senior Member+

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one Willow.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 15:39   #178

Quote:
You still owe me an apology for misinterpreting my words and then falsely accusing me of something I hadn't said.

you said it. you quoted it.

You want me to apologise? I take it you have decided I am white so I am human?
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 16:38   #179
Resident Waffler

The sad thing about this Poppy, is that I am now convinced that you are either hell bent on causing grief or perhaps even worse than that you are indeed unable to undertand that what I said is not what you think you read.

The real tragedy is that in real life people like you cause untold harm when they report to others the racism they perceive to exist, which is then retaliated against and we end up with all-out riots because some fool is actually unable to see that they have made a mistake.

Yes I said something which you misinterpreted and called me a racist for having said and I quoted it in order to clarify for others who may not have read the original post. What I said and what you threw your little horrified tantrum about are not one and the same thing.

Never at any time did I ever state that I had to remind myself that anyone was human. I said that I had to stop and remind myself who was which race because EVERYBODY is human! How you can see those two statements as meaning the same thing is beyond me.

As I said, you alone in your ignorance on this message board do not worry me so much as the thousands of other people of exactly the same mentality out there in the world who scream "racist!" at others where no racism exists and often where the person being condemned has made an anti-racist statement such as the MP who wanted to help her non-English speaking constituents to get further in their education by suggesting that teaching them English before they entered main stream school might help. How the blazes can that be a racist statement? Sadly it was taken as such and she was vilified for having dared to suggest it.

Now if I moved to Spain and my kids were going to attend a Spanish speaking school if the local MP suggested it would be a good idea for them to learn Spanish first and proposed that they be taught before entering the main stream education system I'd be all for it.

Old 17-10-2006, 16:41   #180
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
I take it you have decided I am white so I am human?
I don't give a flying fig what colour you are. That has absolutely no bearing on any of this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..