Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 10:49   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: And behold, Broadway was made anew.

Here is the simulation of the finished item after the money runs out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bagdad2.jpg (9.5 KB, 10 views)
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2005, 10:53   #17
I am Band

Question Re: And behold, Broadway was made anew.

This re-development is not before time. Broadway is supposed to be the focal point of Accrington town centre, but it does not portray a good image of the town. Perhaps it could be argued that Broadway, in its present state, merely reflects the true image of Accrington in general.

Why not refit Broadway as it was; with the benches for people to sit on, and the raised flower beds? Was it really necessary to tear it up in the first instance, when our 21st century??? shopping development was built?

Has anyone seen the public plans for the re-development? Who had final say regarding wich scheme was given the green light and go-ahead?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:16   #18
Give, give, give member

Lets hope the numpties in charge of dishing out contracts have learnt from the last time???

The 'workmanship' of the flaggers, outside the market to Broadway is appalling, but apparently it wasn't part of their contract to come back to mend any defects, hence the nice 3-D mosaic effect on ther pavement outside the still empty new retail units.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:07   #19
Member.

Can with have before, during and after photos from the same vantage points? Anyone got any ideas of we can get hold of the plans or artist impression of the intended result Do we have anyone working on Broadway who can keep is in the picture so we can turn up at appropriate time if anything interesting should happen.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:16   #20
God Member

I'm not one to openly defend our Council but on this one I have to say 'give them a break'. They seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't. I too think it looks a mess there at the moment and yes, perhaps they shouldn't have ripped it all up in the first place although even before building the new shopping centre it was looking very jaded. They're doing what everyone seems to want them to do in this instance and you're still griping. At least give them a chance to cock up before you start gunning for them. They might surprise us all!
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:22   #21
Give, give, give member

No, not gripping very pleased it's being done.

Just sad that it's taken so long to do and ne'er a flower to be seen and only two benches, since they ripped out the old flower beds/seating two years ago.

I was ashamed when friends came to visit and we walked down there.

Last edited by garinda; 10-07-2005 at 11:48.
Old 09-07-2005, 15:46   #22
God Member

The reason for the griping Gayle is that Broadway used to look nice and presentable and was easy to use - before the halfwits of HBC decided to start chopping and changing things. Now it is an eysore and businesses have suffered because of it. Do we hear one word of apology from the arrogant pratts in charge? Now Babbling Britcliffe has decided that he can bear the complaints no longer and has decided to do a quick makeover. But as usual with HBC it is too little too late. While Burnley and Blackburn are spending MILLIONS OF POUNDS on the refurbishment and development of their town centres, the best that HBC can manage is small change by comparison.

That is why we are griping. That is why we seem so cynically certain they will make a mess of it - we know what HBC are like. We have to live with the consequences of their institutionalised incompetance every day. And it is made doubly galling to see neighbouring towns doing so much more and so much better.

Incidentally, I also notice that the Christmas Illuminations STILL haven't been taken down. Perhaps they should replace the Horse Chestnut trees for Norway Spruce, then we can pretend it is Christmas every day along with pretending that the borough is doing well under this administration.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 09-07-2005 at 15:51.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 15:53   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
I'm not one to openly defend our Council but on this one I have to say 'give them a break'. They seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't. I too think it looks a mess there at the moment and yes, perhaps they shouldn't have ripped it all up in the first place although even before building the new shopping centre it was looking very jaded. They're doing what everyone seems to want them to do in this instance and you're still griping. At least give them a chance to cock up before you start gunning for them. They might surprise us all!
We are griping now because if the council are allowed to just do what they normally do, buy a load of cheap, raw materials throw them in the air and see where they land,
THEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 16:17   #24
Resident Waffler

A few people see to be unsure of why the flower beds were removed in the first place.

That was done in order to accommodate the market stalls on Broadway on a temporary basis whilst the new "pavilions" were being built after they'd knocked down the old market.

Why they couldn't have built the new pavilions first is beyond me. That would have also helped the paving slabs to stay in place as they were laid before there was anything to lay them up against so it's no wondr they wandered.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 16:24   #25
Give, give, give member

Short of cash?

Wander up and down on the lovely pavemants, when you trip submit your claim.

Inside info suggests that every claim is settled uncontested.

That is one of the reasons HBC is so strapped for cash.

Old 09-07-2005, 16:48   #26
I am Banned

with all the claim companies out there ime surprised HBC isnt bust

on one hand you can blame people for putting claims in but on the other hand its the councils fault for not maintaining the pavements especialy in the town center

on another note i watched a tv program a while back where people were getting away with parking on double yellow lines because if a set of yellow lines has a break in it anywhere for any reason even wear and tear apparently they are not legal so as long as you photograph the break in the lines you can contest your fine

ive seen plenty of yellow lines that according to the law are not upto standard so if anyone gets a parking ticket on one of them take a picture it would be interesting to see if it works and sticking it to the traffic wardens wouldnt hurt either lol

yes i watch too much tv

how much do you get for a trip or fall these days

could use a payout to pay my council tax so they get the cash back in a sense

Last edited by chav1; 09-07-2005 at 16:49.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 17:24   #27
Beacon of light

I was in the British heart foundation shop to leave some books and there was a man from the council telling the manageress that it would be finished by CHRISTMAS.......so does he know something that they aren't telling us...?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 17:28   #28
I am Banned

when they built the arndale they put a model of it in the libary to show people what it would look like

they may do the same with broadway
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 19:34   #29
God Member

I'm not disputing that the place looks disgusting and I'm certainly not disputing that the Council screwed things up when they ripped up the flower beds and seats - they did. I think I'll just wait to see what it looks like before having a go because if it still looks like a dogs dinner then I'll be right there with you all griping away.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 19:57   #30
God Member

I can only admire your touching faith in the capabilities of HBC. Those of us with longer memories know differently. I'll keep a seat for you on the griping bench, and I promise I will absolutely not say "I told you so."

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..