Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 17:17   #46
God Member

Re: And behold, Broadway was made anew.

Funny you should mention it though because I have been approached. Still not sure what to do - think I might stir up as much protest as support.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2005, 17:27   #47
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Funny you should mention it though because I have been approached. Still not sure what to do - think I might stir up as much protest as support.
One must assume that one as been approached in a professional capacity and not the other…lol. On a serious note I have little doubt that you would find tremendous support among the fair people of accyweb. Even your baiters couldn’t but wish you well and offer you support. We all need someone that can stand up and be counted. We all need someone to do something worth while for the Borough, half of which is like a tip; the other half is like something from old Beirut, but above all what’s left is worth saving……..Go on Gayle get on with it and let us exiles know what we can do to give you support.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 19:24   #48
God Member

Why not give it a go Gayle? You could not possibly do any worse than the current shower and who knows, you might do some good! But I have the feeling that it will be something of a poisoned chalice.
Old 10-07-2005, 20:03   #49
God Member

I know A-B, that's what's making me hesitate.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 20:07   #50
Member.

Success often comes down to the cohesion and effort of the team behind the leader. Just make sure you have the right people behind you. Perhaps we should **** of the fire until it’s actually out of control, if you know what I mean.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 10-07-2005, 20:08   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
A few people see to be unsure of why the flower beds were removed in the first place.

That was done in order to accommodate the market stalls on Broadway on a temporary basis whilst the new "pavilions" were being built
That was enabling work to allow the project to take place, and retain an open market. As such it should have all been put back as it was at the end of the project. Bad contract management on the part of HBC. What are they going to do for £250k, if the laying of additional kerbs on rhyddings street cost £8k don't think we will get much on broadway. Someone mentioned Morans as the contractors for the revamp of broadway, are they not BwD contractors, do we not have BwD working on the regen of accrington town centre. To add to that I think the contractors on the rhyddings street job were also Morans.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:29   #52
God Member

There, you see. According to Barking Britcliffe it was all going to be shiny and new. But the closer you look the cheaper and tattier it begins to look.

But wasn't the Market re-vamp fiasco largely down to the incompetence of the recently departed Nigel Rix?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:53   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
But wasn't the Market re-vamp fiasco largely down to the incompetence of the recently departed Nigel Rix?
Think you are correct A-b, has anyone seen any plans, or will it be left to the contractor? If it has been handed on a plate to Morans as a single tender, where is the "Best Value" in that.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:00   #54
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
We all need someone to do something worth while for the Borough, half of which is like a tip; the other half is like something from old Beirut, but above all what’s left is worth saving……...

Not much left to work with is there Doug if half of it is a tip and the other half like old Beirut? (sorry I couldn't help myself)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:06   #55
God Member

If I remember correctly there was a half-arsed sort of drawing published in the Observer a few months back which we all decided loked like something from a failed sixties council estate, not even le Courbusier at his most attenuated was as bleak as that.

As to single tendering, When has HBC ever equaled Value For Money?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:10   #56

I think that picture would sometimes be an improvement to what you see on Broadway some days.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:22   #57
God Member

Yeah, but I understand that the Council are doing their best to keep the New Mayor; Plain Jane(t) away from Broadway as much as they can in case she gets stuck and holds up the improvement works. Apparently the Mayoral limousine has had to have "Wide Load" signs attached to it..
Old 11-07-2005, 18:21   #58
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Yeah, but I understand that the Council are doing their best to keep the New Mayor; Plain Jane(t) away from Broadway as much as they can in case she gets stuck and holds up the improvement works. Apparently the Mayoral limousine has had to have "Wide Load" signs attached to it..
Oh dear, I don’t think I have seen this lady of note? But I think I get the picture. Willow, please feel free.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..