Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2009, 12:34   #706
Give, give, give member

Re: Anyone made a secret Freedom Of Info request about me ? Andrew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
I have already presented the question to all my friends at work neighbours and some family members approxiamtely twenty members of the public for your information only seven people could tell me what ward they resided in and who was their concillorwas.
Perhaps you only know people who live in a similar bubble?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2009, 13:35   #707
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I have already presented the question to all my friends at work neighbours and some family members approxiamtely twenty members of the public for your information only seven people could tell me what ward they resided in and who was their concillorwas.
if ya work the percentage out of those ya questioned,i'll bet its somewhere near the percentage that votes locally, so no suprises there.
Old 19-02-2009, 15:48   #708
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
will give you time to think I suppose...
-I think we all need to think long and hard on that one.

It took the twelve years in government by the Labour Party to put the country in an absolute mess. How can you expect the lady to come up with ideas in a couple of seconds?..... you have got to be joking?

Even your MP as good as he is would be hard pressed to answer that one.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 16:11   #709
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
-I think we all need to think long and hard on that one.

It took the twelve years in government by the Labour Party to put the country in an absolute mess. How can you expect the lady to come up with ideas in a couple of seconds?..... you have got to be joking?

Even your MP as good as he is would be hard pressed to answer that one.
This is highlighting the very basic problem with society really. They're constantly pushing for answers at the click of their fingers, and as a result the government is pressured to give half-considered answers and it just results in a mess.

If people were more patient and realistic then maybe we wouldn't be in as big of a mess.

I think it was Nietzsche favoured putting 'thoughts on ice' rather than pouring them out straight away. Mulling things over is always more productive.

So Caz, you shouldn't expect answers straight away. It's probably the reason why theorists write books disagreeing with eachother instead of arguing in public forums without planning ahead.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 16:33   #710
Caz
God Member

OK maybe I phrased the question wrongly, was being slightly facetious.

The lady stated she had previously been Labour at national level, but she would be voting Tory this time, I was wondering why, and what she thought the a Tory goverment would do in her favour, what she wants to see done? That should be easy surely, she shouldn't need to think about that?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 16:36   #711
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
OK maybe I phrased the question wrongly, was being slightly facetious.

The lady stated she had previously been Labour at national level, but she would be voting Tory this time, I was wondering why, and what she thought the a Tory goverment would do in her favour, what she wants to see done? That should be easy surely, she shouldn't need to think about that?
...especially, unlike most of us, easier to answer because her views aren't coloured by the issues of local politics.

Last edited by garinda; 19-02-2009 at 16:44.
Old 19-02-2009, 17:57   #712

Quote:
I kind of take you point here. As for voteing im absoulutely clear on that point who i will be voteing for in the general election as i clearly view it their is no choice we need change and the sooner the better but at least i dont have to worry about that one as we all know what will happen. True i was unable to tell you who i would vote for in the local elections this is were my ignorance prevails i have honestly never bothered due to the fact i truly beleived that they had little power in the grander scheme of things but A.B. has put me straight on that one and yes i wasnt unaware until of late who my councillor was i have never had any leaflets through my door most importantly know one has ever come to my house canvassing.
I find it very hard to believe that you have never received any leaflets from your councillor as Graham jones delivered leaflets to all households in his ward last year. In 2007 I helped Graham deliver Christmas cards in Peeil Ward (and we definitely delivered cards in Turkey Street). In 2008 Graham Jones and Bernard Dawson delivered Christmas Cards to every household in Peel ward.

Incidentally the Christmas cards delivered in 2007 and 2008 were paid for personally by the Labour Ward Councillors and did not cost the Council Tax payer of Hyndburn any money whatsoever. Which is something that your son Andrew disagrees with, he thinks it is better for the Council Tax payers of Hyndburn to pay for the production and delivery of Area Council calendars.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 18:07   #713
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I find it very hard to believe that you have never received any leaflets from your councillor as Graham jones delivered leaflets to all households in his ward last year. In 2007 I helped Graham deliver Christmas cards in Peeil Ward (and we definitely delivered cards in Turkey Street). In 2008 Graham Jones and Bernard Dawson delivered Christmas Cards to every household in Peel ward.

Incidentally the Christmas cards delivered in 2007 and 2008 were paid for personally by the Labour Ward Councillors and did not cost the Council Tax payer of Hyndburn any money whatsoever. Which is something that your son Andrew disagrees with, he thinks it is better for the Council Tax payers of Hyndburn to pay for the production and delivery of Area Council calendars.
Now I understand why you have so many councillors ... it takes a lot of bodies to do all the mail deliveries On the one hand, it is kinda nice to have the personal delivery thing; but shouldn't councillors spend their time more productively ... I mean, delivering cards requires about as much skill as flipping burgers .............
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 18:31   #714
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Now I understand why you have so many councillors ... it takes a lot of bodies to do all the mail deliveries On the one hand, it is kinda nice to have the personal delivery thing; but shouldn't councillors spend their time more productively ... I mean, delivering cards requires about as much skill as flipping burgers .............
At least the Christmas cards don't cost the recipient any money...unlike the calendars, the chosen 'gift' of some councillors.

Old 19-02-2009, 18:37   #715
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
At least the Christmas cards don't cost the recipient any money...unlike the calendars, the chosen 'gift' of some councillors.
Ok ... so you object to people being sent "gifts" which are not gifts, because the recipient ends up paying for them thro' his taxes ... sounds reasonable .... but isn't it something that all political parties do? And doesn't it get us back to questioning the value of party politics at the municipal level of govt.?
Old 19-02-2009, 18:49   #716
Give, give, give member

Quote:
... but isn't it something that all political parties do?
Well in the case of the Christmas cards and calendars, in a word no.

One party, Labour, apparently paid for the cards out of their own pocket, whilst the Conservatives got the local tax payer to foot the bill for their 'gift'.

Old 19-02-2009, 18:53   #717
Senior Member+

Quote:
Last year and the year before they went out with a newsletter - twice as efficient! This year I didn't have time to do the Newsletter.

Obviously it is a nice thing to do. I include all the emergency numbers which is very helpful to people over the holidays and beyond so there is more to it than a snowy picture on the front. A lot of people thought this a very useful idea.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 19:01   #718
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Last year and the year before they went out with a newsletter - twice as efficient! This year I didn't have time to do the Newsletter.

Obviously it is a nice thing to do. I include all the emergency numbers which is very helpful to people over the holidays and beyond so there is more to it than a snowy picture on the front. A lot of people thought this a very useful idea.
I see your point, and Garinda's too,

Oh, and if you have a shortage of snowy pictures, feel free to ask,; I have an abundance, and with snow forcast for the next 3 days, I can take lots more
Old 19-02-2009, 19:14   #719
Senior Member+

Quote:
I see your point, and Garinda's too,

Oh, and if you have a shortage of snowy pictures, feel free to ask,; I have an abundance, and with snow forcast for the next 3 days, I can take lots more
I need one for Accy or Peel Ward with tons of snow. HiRes jpeg if you fancy it.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:17   #720
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Don't know about shakermaker but I would like to go to one when is the next one?
Andrew asked me to get all the information and he said he was circulating it or making it available via a site? Don't know where he is up to with it?

The next one is next Thursday, the big one. The Council tax and and how it is being spent.

Residents can attend by juts turning up. There is a viewing gallery looking down on the Council chamber where the public sit.

Tags
politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..