Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2009, 10:14   #691

Re: Anyone made a secret Freedom Of Info request about me ? Andrew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Unless the character is your own local councillor, then you're ignorant, in the nicest possible way.
As i state im totally dont unserstand this comment i just stated my opinion and in my view it was a positive comment to another im absoulutely sure im no way ignorant if you knew me personally you would realise one thing im always very aware of how i conduct myself with members of the public and interact with them you have to have real skills in this area and i feel i pocess them in less i have misunderstood your comment.where my skills are lacking at the moment i admit knowledge of local politics which i intend to address by attending meetings and becoming more involved as it is more interesting than i anticipated, or originally understood. I appreciate the bit in the nicest possible way Cheers.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2009, 10:34   #692
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
As i state im totally dont unserstand this comment i just stated my opinion and in my view it was a positive comment to another im absoulutely sure im no way ignorant if you knew me personally you would realise one thing im always very aware of how i conduct myself with members of the public and interact with them you have to have real skills in this area and i feel i pocess them in less i have misunderstood your comment.where my skills are lacking at the moment i admit knowledge of local politics which i intend to address by attending meetings and becoming more involved as it is more interesting than i anticipated, or originally understood. I appreciate the bit in the nicest possible way Cheers.
All that was meant was that you felt able to tell us who you'd vote for, yet didn't know which ward you lived in, or who your local councillors are.

You said you are a good judge of character. I commented that you can't judge fairly, when you are ignorant as to who people are.

Ignorant meaning unaware, as defined in the dictionary.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 11:17   #693

Quote:
All that was meant was that you felt able to tell us who you'd vote for, yet didn't know which ward you lived in, or who your local councillors are.

You said you are a good judge of character. I commented that you can't judge fairly, when you are ignorant as to who people are.

Ignorant meaning unaware, as defined in the dictionary.
I kind of take you point here. As for voteing im absoulutely clear on that point who i will be voteing for in the general election as i clearly view it their is no choice we need change and the sooner the better but at least i dont have to worry about that one as we all know what will happen. True i was unable to tell you who i would vote for in the local elections this is were my ignorance prevails i have honestly never bothered due to the fact i truly beleived that they had little power in the grander scheme of things but A.B. has put me straight on that one and yes i wasnt unaware until of late who my councillor was i have never had any leaflets through my door most importantly know one has ever come to my house canvassing. I Never stated i was judgeing the councillors as i couldnt dont know them never interacted with them how can i dont know their policies yet but i will learn. This next statement is just hear say now i have been in-formed how briilant MR. P.B.is in the bourough from some very in-formed sources equally i have heard the same of G.J. I will be attending the council meetings and will seek to make judgement myself then and according to their policies.
Old 19-02-2009, 11:25   #694
Give, give, give member

Even if you took no interest in local politics, and were woefully naive as to the power they have over our lives, it just seems odd that someone who is on the electoral register didn't know which ward they lived in, when it quite clearly states the information on the voting forms that are posted to every house, come election time.

Old 19-02-2009, 11:31   #695
Give, give, give member

I was amused to read this comment on little Andrew's blog, from Accy Web member, and arch Conservative, Acrylic-bob.

'Excellent. Good show. But bear in mind that the current administration are not without their faults too and while Labour have Cllr Jones to hobble their aspirations the Conservatives must struggle on with Cllr Britcliffe at the helm - That man is more of a dangerous liability than Gordon Brown!'

Old 19-02-2009, 11:32   #696

Quote:
Even if you took no interest in local politics, and were woefully naive as to the power they have over our lives, it just seems odd that someone who is on the electoral register didn't know which ward they lived in, when it quite clearly states the information on the voting forms that are posted to every house, come election time.
True but ive moved house and only lived here for 2 years so i may have thrown them in the bin and not took much notice as again didnt feel they were important only take notice of these forms at a general election.
Old 19-02-2009, 11:39   #697
Give, give, give member

Quote:
True but ive moved house and only lived here for 2 years so i may have thrown them in the bin and not took much notice as again didnt feel they were important only take notice of these forms at a general election.
I guess I'm lucky, in that I actually read what's posted through my door, just in case it's important, and I might find out something that might be to my advantage, such as knowing what ward I live in, and who my councillors are.

Again I must just be lucky, and haven't been so naive since about the age of eight, as to think local politicans don't weild an enormous power over our lives, and that people pay a large amount of their income to fund them.

Old 19-02-2009, 11:55   #698

Quote:
I guess I'm lucky, in that I actually read what's posted through my door, just in case it's important, and I might find out something that might be to my advantage, such as knowing what ward I live in, and who my councillors are.

Again I must just be lucky, and haven't been so naive since about the age of eight, as to think local politicans don't weild an enormous power over our lives, and that people pay a large amount of their income to fund them.
I do indeed open every letter that comes through my door ive probably infact, i know glanced at one of these forms and again thought its not important so ive binned it and not given it another thought. I will tell you really i do think politicians weild an enormous power over our lifes thats why we are in this mess now but again didnt realise they did at local level i am far from naive but your right on this local politics i am.I know many people if i presented them with the question which ward do you live in and who is your councillor they would not be able to tell me so im far from on my own regarding this point.
Old 19-02-2009, 12:08   #699
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I do indeed open every letter that comes through my door ive probably infact, i know glanced at one of these forms and again thought its not important so ive binned it and not given it another thought. I will tell you really i do think politicians weild an enormous power over our lifes thats why we are in this mess now but again didnt realise they did at local level i am far from naive but your right on this local politics i am.I know many people if i presented them with the question which ward do you live in and who is your councillor they would not be able to tell me so im far from on my own regarding this point.
I think it's scandalous that you've received no leaflets, or have not been canvassed by the Conservative party at election times, telling you what a good job they are doing in Hyndburn.

Sadly you didn't even receive a lovely calendar, as you aren't represented by Conservative councillors.

Shocking state of affairs.

Old 19-02-2009, 12:14   #700
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Can I just say that I have only lived in my area for 2 months and I know who the councillors are. I lived in my last area for 18 months, I knew who my councillors were. When I lived in spring hill I was only there for a couple of years and new who the councillor was, also of the residents committee, which I joined, because I made it my business to find out. "Only" living in that ward for 2 years is no excuse.

As far as speaking for anyone else not knowing who their local councillor is, you don't seem to have a clue what is going on yourself, so how can you come on here and try and represent anyone elses views? Good job there aren't too many naive people in your ward otherwise G. Jones & Bernard Dawson wouldn't be there to represent you.

Can you tell me what changes you want made on a national level, and how these can be implemented?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Caz; 19-02-2009 at 12:16.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 12:24   #701

[quote=garinda;682419]I think it's scandalous that you've received no leaflets, or have not been canvassed by the Conservative party at election times, telling you what a good job they are doing in Hyndburn.

Sadly you didn't even receive a lovely calendar, as you aren't represented by Conservative councillors.

Shocking state of affairs.[/ The calender is not important to me im not bothered about that one although its a nice thought to send it out to members equally i havent been canvassed by any Labour councillors.I will make my decision if they are doing a good job in Hyndburn in due course when i am better in-formed as you say i am a tad naive at this present time.
Old 19-02-2009, 12:29   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Can I just say that I have only lived in my area for 2 months and I know who the councillors are. I lived in my last area for 18 months, I knew who my councillors were. When I lived in spring hill I was only there for a couple of years and new who the councillor was, also of the residents committee, which I joined, because I made it my business to find out. "Only" living in that ward for 2 years is no excuse.

As far as speaking for anyone else not knowing who their local councillor is, you don't seem to have a clue what is going on yourself, so how can you come on here and try and represent anyone elses views? Good job there aren't too many naive people in your ward otherwise G. Jones & Bernard Dawson wouldn't be there to represent you.

Can you tell me what changes you want made on a national level, and how these can be implemented?
I have already presented the question to all my friends at work neighbours and some family members approxiamtely twenty members of the public for your information only seven people could tell me what ward they resided in and who was their concillorwas.
Old 19-02-2009, 12:32   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post

The latter part of your question i will answer tonight as i am going to work shortly.
Old 19-02-2009, 12:32   #704
Caz
God Member

Quote:
The latter part of your question i will answer tonight as i am going to work shortly.

will give you time to think I suppose...

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 12:32   #705
Give, give, give member

[quote=turkishdelight;682426]
Quote:
I think it's scandalous that you've received no leaflets, or have not been canvassed by the Conservative party at election times, telling you what a good job they are doing in Hyndburn.

Shocking state of affairs.[/ The calender is not important to me im not bothered about that one although its a nice thought to send it out to members equally i havent been canvassed by any Labour councillors.I will make my decision if they are doing a good job in Hyndburn in due course when i am better in-formed as you say i am a tad naive at this present time.
The calendar should be important to you, because although sent by only Conservative councillors, it was funded by everyone, including yourself, via your Council Tax.

So on behalf of myself, thanks for paying for mine, although this year's meagre effort went straight into the recycling sack, unlike the twelve paged, full colour calendar from three years ago, which is safely stored away with other treasured collectibles.

Tags
politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..