Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 01:12   #31
God Member

Re: Are there too many taxi's in accrington?

Not to sure.. if you are money laundering you would hear the washing machines rumbling.
In the long gone past a few of us would go down to Blackburn..end up in the then Top Hat club.. come out way after time and all the indian resturants would be shut .. but a knock on the door can bring some surprises .. like a small bowl of grub and a card game.... don't forget these places may have closing times but the staff are just finishing the shift.. night is day to them
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2007, 08:45   #32
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
"I bought a flat in the west end"...dont you know, by the way
I couldn't help but read that a la Paul Merton.

All these empty kebab shops are probably doing home deliveries.

If you think Accy is overrun with taxis you want to try Tunisia! It's hilarious in the major towns and tourist areas. If you walk along the pavement a taxi will pull up alongside and the driver ask "Taxi? You want taxi?" - even if it means them crossing over to the wrong side of the road they do it! You say "No thank you, I'm not going far" and they look at you like you're mad and still insist you need a taxi. Try telling hem you are actually out for a walk because you enjoy walking and they're convinced you should be admitted to the local mental asylum. One day in Sousse we'd only just got out of a taxi at the medina as we were going to do a bit of shopping and another taxi immediately drew up and offered to take us somewhere! The driver must have seen us getting out of the previous one!! Er, no thank you. We've only just arrived! The only place you're safe from them is inside the medina where cars cannot go - but then you have to fight off the people trying to sell you tortoises or 'very rare' imitation Roman artefacts.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:38   #33
God Member

Sounds like just the place I like to avoid, had similar experiences with sellers (not taxis though) in Morocco.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:43   #34
Resident Waffler

Oh I love the bartering with the sellers bit for things I actually do want. I'm getting quite good at that now. There was one woman on safari with us in the Sahara who said she didn't dare go shopping because they scared her! That wasn't you was it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:00   #35
God Member

No, but I do feel the same, haven't been since 78 and I was only a child then but it put me off.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:42   #36

from max taxi accrington

1 of the chepest taxi firm in accrington

our minimum fare is £1.50

accrington to accrington £1.50
accrington to great harwood £5
accrington to royal blackburn hospital £5
accrington to rishton £4
accrington to blackburn town center £5.50
accrington to oswaltwisle £2
accrington to black dog oswaltwisle £2.50
accrington to stanhill oswaltwisle £3
accrington to knuzden £3.50
accrington to huncourt £2
accrington to huncourt village £2.50
accrington to hapton £4
accrington to burnley £7
accrington to burnley hospital £8
accrington to manchester £20
accrington to manchester airport £25
accrington to preston £18

Max on edgar street accrington next to railway pub,

Last edited by Mick; 04-09-2009 at 04:26.
max taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:14   #37
God Member

i think its good that we have a lot of taxis as it lessens the chance of getting in a cab with that pervert sex offender that got given his taxi licence back by hyndburn council the other year

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max taxi View Post
from max taxi accrington

1 of the chepest taxi firm in accrington

our minimum fare is £1.50

accrington to accrington £1.50
accrington to great harwood £5
accrington to royal blackburn hospital £5
accrington to rishton £4
accrington to blackburn town center £5.50
accrington to oswaltwisle £2
accrington to black dog oswaltwisle £2.50
accrington to stanhill oswaltwisle £3
accrington to knuzden £3.50
accrington to huncourt £2
accrington to huncourt village £2.50
accrington to hapton £4
accrington to burnley £7
accrington to burnley hospital £8
accrington to manchester £20
accrington to manchester airport £25
accrington to preston £18

Max on edgar street accrington next to railway pub,
Sorry and no offense intended to Max taxi , but I can remember the days when there were things called Accrington Corporation Buses that served all parts of the the Borough (Hyndburn) for less than 2 shillings (10d)per trip and they ran on a regular 15/20 minute schedule , never heard once of any trouble (last bus Friday/Saturday night) folks knew how to behave or were 'turfed off' and had to walk .
Seems to me looking back (maybe through rose coloured glasses ) you could get off the Ossy bus and jump onto the Haslingden (sp?) bus with a 5 minute connection time in either direction .
The prolification of taxi services in a western society seems to me to be a regressive step backwards to third world standards where community standards have failed .
sorry just my thoughts on the subject
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:28   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sorry and no offense intended to Max taxi , but I can remember the days when there were things called Accrington Corporation Buses that served all parts of the the Borough (Hyndburn) for less than 2 shillings (10d)per trip and they ran on a regular 15/20 minute schedule , never heard once of any trouble (last bus Friday/Saturday night) folks knew how to behave or were 'turfed off' and had to walk .
Seems to me looking back (maybe through rose coloured glasses ) you could get off the Ossy bus and jump onto the Haslingden (sp?) bus with a 5 minute connection time in either direction .
The prolification of taxi services in a western society seems to me to be a regressive step backwards to third world standards where community standards have failed .
sorry just my thoughts on the subject
I lived in Clayton for 21yrs and never took one taxi. Spent my bus fare (plus) at the chippy and walked home from Accrington stuffing my face .... and I only fell in the cut twice. And the colors of the Accrington Corporation Transport were the regimental colors of the East Lancashire Regiment, a memorial to the Pals, if memory serves me right ... if it serves me wrong, Retlaw will pick up on it. And almost every stop coincided with a pub .... loved Route No. 1, Forts Arms to the Black Dog: a pint of Thwaites at each end. Maybe the glasses weren't rose colored, but they held a pint.

Isn't there a little syntactical redundancy in "regressive step backwards"? Just a little pedantry on a beautiful, drunken, late summer night.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:47   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Isn't there a little syntactical redundancy in "regressive step backwards"? Just a little pedantry on a beautiful, drunken, late summer night.
Bushmills is on sale/special at my new Sikh owned liquer store $17.99 per liter
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36   #41
God Member

I hope the £5.50 rates from Blackburn are the same at 3am..
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I hope the £5.50 rates from Blackburn are the same at 3am..
As a student can you afford it?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:11   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
As a student can you afford it?
its expenses spug expenses. seriously my next door neighbour who is a taxi driver, moved his labours oer to manchester a few months ago, citing the fact there was too many taxis in hyndburn n was earning next to nowt, was talking too him last week n he told me it aint great but a damn site better than what he earned here, even with cost of commuting.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:44   #44
Give, give, give member

I wonder if as a result of Accy's 'Taxi Wars', which doesn't sound as exciting as Glasgow's 'Ice cream Wars' (a raspberry ripple and a shooter please), when asked how much the fare is at the end of a journey, the driver will reply with the 'How much do you normally pay boss?'

I think I'll try fifty pence next time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05   #45
God Member

I got a taxi last tuesday morning to Accy Station. Being the nice man that I am, I exchanged the usual pleasantries with the driver about the weather, etc and then asked him if he'd been busy that morning.

"Pretty quiet", he replied, "but we'll be busier bext week when the school runs start".

"Eh?" I thought to myself. Taxis taking kids to school! What the hell is wrong with walking, or catching the bus? Schools have not changed their location in the Borough over the last 40 years or so and to take a taxi then was unheard of.

Can anyone advise of the extent of this practice? When did this nonsense start? And who is paying for it - please don't tell me the local ratepayer. And is it any wonder that some of the grossly obese kids I now see around the streets of Hyndburn would put our fat yankee cousins to shame.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..